• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Captain Smoker said:
Really? Could you quote the source please? :)

December was revealed by Matt-IGN, who initially claimed that the Wii achieved a 10:1 software:hardware tie ratio. It was later revealed by numerous other sources that Matt had rounded up to find 10:1, but that the Wii had beat the 360 (just barely). I believe at least one news site reported the actual tie ratio numbers; these can be multiplied with hardware sales to find monthly overall software sales.

January, I don't readily have a source right here that's publicly quotable. If you want, you can take me on my word, or if not disregard it.

The 360 still has a substantially better overall tie ratio and a slightly better launch-aligned tie ratio.

JDSN

Banned
Pretty impressive how well the DMC4 did on the PS3 compared to the 360, but then again the franchise did start there.

AceBandage said:
37K putting it at 102K LTD in the US alone.

:D

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Dante said:
Didn't you make a ban bet last month?

Yes I did and I am lucky no one took me up on it. I would be happy to extend the same bet for next months NPD.

Wow, Nintendo and Sony did well in one of the worst months of the year. Good job!

LOL WinFonda at the gif.
itsintheinternet.gif

captscience said:
Yes but the tie ratio for DMC4 on the PS3 versus the ratio on 360 is far better than on previous mp titles.
You have to realize, to PS3 owners DMC releasing is a reason to own a PS3. To 360 owners, it's a Tuesday.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Wow at the 360 software sales. A 169 dollar game is still in the top 10 months later. Putting 5x many games in the top 10 as the PS3. Hardware was a little low on the 360 hopefully it will be a hint to MS to drop the damn price. Don't let DMC 4 fool you GTA4 will sell 2to1 or better over the PS3 version.

Stumpokapow said:
December was revealed by Matt-IGN, who initially claimed that the Wii achieved a 10:1 software:hardware tie ratio. It was later revealed by numerous other sources that Matt had rounded up to find 10:1, but that the Wii had beat the 360 (just barely). I believe at least one news site reported the actual tie ratio numbers; these can be multiplied with hardware sales to find monthly overall software sales.

January, I don't readily have a source right here that's publicly quotable. If you want, you can take me on my word, or if not disregard it.

The 360 still has a substantially better overall tie ratio and a slightly better launch-aligned tie ratio.
I´ll take it, thx. :)

Narag

Shepherd said:
Yes I did and I am lucky no one took me up on it. I would be happy to extend the same bet for next months NPD.
I was just about to ask that. I remembered that but like you said, I didn't recall anyone taking you up on it.

JB1981

most encouraging thing to me is the ps3 DMC 4 numbers. People are starting to buy at least some games for the console :D

MGS 4 is going to do well, to say the least.

ps3 starting to come into its own.

i expected continued good sales throughout the year with strong software releases and bluray adoption. the gamble is beginning to pay off.

worldwide, dmc 4 must have done much bigger #'s on ps3 than 360, no?

Threi

notag
kbear said:
Don't let Stumpakow hear that.
You conveniently ignore his previous response to your last dumbass statement, and then proceed to post this.

You are a fine contributor to GAF.

NeoUltima said:
For all we know, Turok, Rockband, CoD4, ect, sold the same ratio on ps3 and 360. They(ps3 versions) just wouldn't qualify for the top 10. Just cause they aren't in the top 10, doesn't mean they don't sell.

sounds about right

harSon said:
It sold roughly 500,000-600,000 at retail but it most likely shipped a lot more which is all that really matters to publishers/developers. 500,000-600,000 in itself would cover the games development costs.
And its not like it will never ever sell anymore copies. Still going good in the UK. From 4 to 10, but still in the charts. Probably sold 2x more in the US, but unfortunately less in Japan. Anyway it is selling good, since most people expected it would bomb after BD.

Zzoram

Danielsan said:
What are you smoking. 500k is great especially for a Mistwalker jrpg on a primarily western focussed console. Not every game needs to sell over a million to make a profit you know.

Sheesh this is like the people pissing in Suda's cornflakes all over again.

Let's say after the retailer cut, there's $40 made per copy sold. 600,000 x 40 = $24million

Does anyone here honestly believe Lost Odyssey cost $24million in development and marketing?

Can't wait for when Microsoft talks about 2:1 on the software and throw around not ratio but numbers in the million and confuse everyone :lol

Wow, my hardware predictions were too low and software was too high :lol.

COD4 cannot be stopped, 4 months at #1!

DMC sold way less then I expected.

Fantastic to see LO have a great debute!

Danielsan said:
What are you smoking. 500k is great especially for a Mistwalker jrpg on a primarily western focussed console. Not every game needs to sell over a million to make a profit you know.

Sheesh this is like the people pissing in Suda's cornflakes all over again.

It's bad. First, the game was designed to help MS break into the Japanese market. It failed to do that. It sold around ~100k in Japan, which is approximately half of what Blue Dragon sold, and no one would argue that it's now helped MS to break into the Japanese market.

So it failed there. And now it also looks like it's going to lose a lot of money. The only argument you can make at that point is that it's helping to build up interest in JRPGs among the 360's install base, but that's pretty dubious.

Rolf NB

Odysseus said:
254k doesn't say much for shortages

looks like somebody just got beat

it happens, microsoft.
No, no, you don't understand. It's a demand shortage. That's a readily accepted, industry-standard type of shortage too.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Narag said:
I was just about to ask that. I remembered that but like you said, I didn't recall anyone taking you up on it.

Yeah I need to not drink during NPD threads. :D

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Lost Odyssey didn't sell well. It's sold ~200k in America, ~100k in Japan, and for argument's sake say it sells ~200k in Europe and then another ~100k across all three markets for the rest of its sales life.

That's still only 600k. That has to be a big financial loss when you add in the game's marketing budget.

:lol

Any comparison with how well Persona 3 sold? ;)

Jammy

Banned
Luckyman said:
What are Wii owners buying? Top selling console should have a better showing in the top 10.

Um... there were no significant releases at all for Wii in February. Had something along DMC4's caliber come along on the system, you surely would have seen it charting. :lol

As it is, the Wii games that have charted, have been charting for months upon months. And I'm assuming Super Mario Galaxy and Mario and Sonic Olympics continue selling strongly.

Wait for next month... software AND hardware will belong to Wii. It won't even be a contest. :D

BobM

Hopefully Lost Odyssey keeps selling well for the next few months. I love the game and hope to see alot more from Mistwalker in the future.

SCIENCE!!!

DevelopmentArrested said:
Except the game's been out in America for less than a month, you butt monkey. Give it time.

On average, what percentage of a games first months sales does a game sell during the rest of its sales life? I don't think that number is nearly as high as you think it is.

WOW @ PS2, where the hell did that bump come from? Also it's good to see the PS3 become relevant again, even if it isn't a fair win :D

DS is insane though, not only has it woken up, it's shot up past the Wii again!

I'm a bit disappointed in DMC4 actually, it's not bad (Especially the PS3 version :D) but I was expecting a bit more from it, Lost Odyssey did great though!

Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village (DS) 91,000
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) 50,300
No More Heroes (Wii) 37,000

Not bad, great numbers all round!

What happened to Mario and Sonic Wii? Anyone got numbers for it?

Actually could we get numbers for...

Super Mario Galaxy
Guitar Hero 3 360
Mario and Sonic Wii
Rock Band PS3
Burnout Paradise 360 and PS3

Zzoram

It's bad. First, the game was designed to help MS break into the Japanese market. It failed to do that. It sold around ~100k in Japan, which is approximately half of what Blue Dragon sold, and no one would argue that it's now helped MS to break into the Japanese market.

So it failed there. And now it also looks like it's going to lose a lot of money. The only argument you can make at that point is that it's helping to build up interest in JRPGs among the 360's install base, but that's pretty dubious.

:lol

You are such a troll. Lost Odyssey having sold ~500K worldwide already, with potential for 100K+ more, is not going to "lose a lot of money".

Danielsan

First of all nothing MS does will help them break into the Japanese market and concidering they probably haven't even sold a million 360s in Japan 100k is not bad. Secondly this game did not cost 20million+ to make. 500-600k is a great first month number and the game will continue to sell more along the way.

Lay off the drugs man, seriously...

Mrbob

Regardless of the software sales breakdown, Capcom has to be happy selling over 500K units in the first month.

Insane Metal said:
Wow, PS3 Feb ´07: 127k
PS3 Feb ´08: 280k

O_O

120% increase YOY

Better games out. Blu Ray has won.

Although I am a bit surprised how quickly he PS3 has turned the corner year over year. It really was sputtering like the Gamecube last year, and now its looking like it will start averaging around 270-300K a month in non holiday months. At $399 and $499 pricepoints. Looking at the hardware sales the last two months, I'm starting to wonder how much 360 hardware sales are actually affecting the PS3.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
:lol at the guy saying 600k WW for Losy Odyssey so far is disappointing.

If you'd have told Microsoft they'd sell 600k LO units 6 months ago, they'd have bit your hand off.

Zzoram

On average, what percentage of a games first months sales does a game sell during the rest of its sales life? I don't think that number is nearly as high as you think it is.

First month sales end up being like 30-50% of lifetime sales on a typical title. There are exceptions, like insanely huge blockbuster titles (Halo, GTA, The Sims), and titles that have legs due to strong word of mouth/reviews (Uncharted).

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
captscience said:
Yes but the tie ratio for DMC4 on the PS3 versus the ratio on 360 is far better than on previous mp titles.

Sweet jesus do NOT start this shit. It's inherently flawed and stupid.

Stumpokapow said:

Wii beat the 360 in ratio in December due to Wii Play. Without it the 360 wins by as much as it loses with it. If you wanna keep claiming that as something meaningful, go ahead, but I doubt anyone cares.

Top Bottom