• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Captain Smoker said:

Erm, at least a few of these veer from spin into the "factually incorrect" zone.

First, the lifetime attach rate figure is both liberal with its rounding estimates to the point that no one would really make that assumption. Second, when launch-aligning tie ratios the difference between the Wii and the 360 is actually <~30%. No doubt the 360 is a major beast in this area, but let's stick with its actual record of achievement rather than lying.

Second, nothing the cash dollars software sales monthly, Wii sales and 360 sales were near tied. The numbers suggest that the 360 had a 40% cash value bonus over the Wii, but the 360 has a minimum ~30% average software purchase price over the Wii. Their statement is true, but actually diminishes the 360 when you consider its implications.

The "Microsoft internal estimates" for the Wii and PS3's online communities are a laughing stock. "Turning 10 million gamers into developers" even moreso.

Mojovonio

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Yes. Yes, we can.

I almost got The Simpsons Game today, my friend. It's only a matter of time. (The Bum Killing Sim won out....this time.)

I saw a bum today and wished I had a crowbar to hit him with.

I can't find Condemned 2 ANYWHERE.

Better play some Simpsons!

Nice for Lost Odyssey @200k+. Didn't pick it up yet, but will register one for this month.

Probably returning unopened Eternal Sonata to put toward it at the same time, after Mass Effect I can't even look at the box without getting saccharine overload.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jett said:
Those DS sales really are insane, it's fucking february. And just WTF is driving those numbers...

It's still spillover from the holidays I imagine. We're still having trouble keeping it in stock.

AniHawk said:
Considering the PSX was fading in year 8 (2003), seeing the PS2 this healthy is remarkable. Could the PS2 last 15 years if Sony lets it?

Sony will have to extend the PS3 life cycle to 20 years if ps2 goes for 15.

botticus

So shall we assume 360 software outsold Wii software this month? ~3 million versus ~2.6 million for Wii if we pretend there were only $60 and $50 games respectively, which is obviously not completely accurate.

sonycowboy said:
Again, for those too lazy to read my initial post :lol

Industry Software Sales

$667.8M an increase of 47% over last years then record $454M. That's over $200M in additional software sales. These are numbers that are higher than ANY NON-November/December in the history of the industry. AND THIS IS FEBRARY. Imagine what next month with Super Smash Bros and April with GTA 4!! Recession??? Not here

Industry Hardware Sales

$481M, an increase of 20% over last years then record of $402M. Again, this is beyond historic. These are the highest HW Sales in the history of the industry outside of November and December (with the exception of September 2007 - Halo 3 month).

It's unbelievable and worthy of great discussion. This industry is just firing in every possible way and all most folks see is Wii >>>>> PS3 > 360.
It's probably because the Wii probably expanded the industry. Remove the Wii in the equation and you have a "normal" sales in the normal time of the year.

GhaleonEB

botticus said:
So shall we assume 360 software outsold Wii software this month? ~3 million versus ~2.6 million for Wii if we pretend there were only $60 and $50 games respectively, which is obviously not completely accurate.
I don't think that's a safe assumption.

Ariexv

AniHawk said:
Considering the PSX was fading in year 8 (2003), seeing the PS2 this healthy is remarkable. Could the PS2 last 15 years if Sony lets it?
Well depends on how far eventually they can drop the price overall..... I know they can drop it to $99 easily, but $50? $30? The Arcade is hitting $199 this year at the minimum.... it won't be long before its sub $100 and there's actually something on the market to compete with the Ps2...... either that or at this rate everyone on earth will own a Ps2 before it hits 15 years :p

botticus said:

david-brent.jpg

Don't assume and make an ass out of you and me.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Shamrock said:
Man thats amazing. I don't know why it always gets overlooked, but the 360 is honestly killing both the Wii and PS3 in the total package. Absolutely destroying both of them. If you would have told me the 360 would earn more retail dollars than Ps3 and Wii combined 3 years ago I would of thought you were crazy.

Maybe if you subtract that 1 year head start it would look so "crazy".

Das-J said:
This really can't be understated... our industry is BOOMING right now! :D
The videogame industry in America is huge, and every year without a beat it gets bigger.

It will soon rule all!!!

MUAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

Frillen

titiklabingapat said:
It's probably because the Wii and the DS probably expanded the industry. Remove the Wii in the equation and you have a "normal" sales in the normal time of the year.

Fix'd.

WarLox

xaosslug said:
WTF is gonna happen when PS2 officially pricedrops to 99$? PANDEMONIUM!? @_@

whats going to happen when 360 has a real price drop. PANDEMONIUM X next gen ?

Maybe stores will have midnight launches for the 360 price drop

Brashnir

WarLox said:
hahah... so I thought 360 only had a "flavor of the month" and no game had any legs... 1 PS3 game in the top 10... 1 Wii game in the top ten... 5 360 games... STELLER !

the flavor of the month thing was largely true for the first year of the 360's life, but as the user base had grown, it has also diversified. It can now sustain sales on multiple games in any number of genres. The userbase still buys lots of shooters, but it's been obvious for a while that it's been branching out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:

I'd put the tilt higher than that based on the following:
- Rock Band + GH3 360 >> GH3 Wii, so that about covers average purchase price above 60/50.
- Wii budget games are more prevalent and cheaper than the 360's, so that covers average purchase price below 60/50.

I'd say that the 360 probably had a slight lead in software this month. I'd argue the difference in average purchase price is probably around 32-34% versus the difference in software sales of 40%.

On the other hand, if Wii's budget software sold well or if GH3 360 did quite well, the average purchase price differential would be higher than the Wii could leapfrog the 360 in software sales.

NeoUltima said:
For all we know, Turok, Rockband, CoD4, ect, sold the same ratio on ps3 and 360.

All titles sell at a higher ratio on a system when its install base is lower than they do later in its life when its install base has grown; the average launch-month attach rate of new titles drops throughout a console's life. In order to perform equivalently well, a PS3 version of a game needs to have a better ratio than than the X360 version (which DMC4 did accomplish this month.)

GremlinInTheMachine said:
With publishers saying they need to sell at least a million copies of a high end game to turn a profit, you think I'm crazy? Okay. Cognitive balancing is an interesting thing.

Are you seriously suggesting that we apply a standard of "Less than 1 million sales worldwide = failure" to all PS360 titles?

gtj1092 said:
Why is brand loyalty dismissed so readily on this forum.

Because in market realities, brand generally serves as a tiebreaker -- given equivalent value propositions, or value close enough to make people uncertain of their choice, they will select the familiar or preferred brand. It very rarely overcomes a superior value proposition for an opposing product, which is why arguments of the form "I acknowledge that the X360 is cheaper and taking advantage of market-leader network externalities, but people will buy title X on PS3 because they love the PlayStation brand!" are unconvincing.

NeoUltima

Captain Smoker said:
360 Call of Duty Version 2:1 PS3 Version [see teamxbox article]

296.200 : 148.100

==> PS3 Call of Duty 4 sold ~ 148.100 in February, LTD is ~ 1.254.100 till end of February 08. :)
Attach ratio higher on Ps3? Damn, those ps3 owners don't buy any games :sarcasm

AniHawk

Ariexv said:
Well depends on how far eventually they can drop the price overall..... I know they can drop it to $99 easily, but $50? $30? The Arcade is hitting $199 this year at the minimum.... it won't be long before its sub $100 and there's actually something on the market to compete with the Ps2...... either that or at this rate everyone on earth will own a Ps2 before it hits 15 years :p

I think the PSX went $130 (1998?) -> $99 (2000?) -> $79 (?) -> $49 (2003). The PS2 dropped to $130... when, two years ago?

sonycowboy said:
Again, for those too lazy to read my initial post :lol

Industry Software Sales

$667.8M an increase of 47% over last years then record $454M. That's over $200M in additional software sales. These are numbers that are higher than ANY NON-November/December in the history of the industry. AND THIS IS FEBRARY. Imagine what next month with Super Smash Bros and April with GTA 4!! Recession??? Not here

Industry Hardware Sales

$481M, an increase of 20% over last years then record of $402M. Again, this is beyond historic. These are the highest HW Sales in the history of the industry outside of November and December (with the exception of September 2007 - Halo 3 month).

It's unbelievable and worthy of great discussion. This industry is just firing in every possible way and all most folks see is Wii >>>>> PS3 > 360.

we could make an elaborated and insightful post, but the reality is pretty simple: older people keep dying, babies keep on coming so each day there's more and more people that already born with games in their lifes. for those people, it's entertainment, just like movies. we know that for "older people" its just some toy.

i know a lot of people ages 15-20 that don't have a console, not into games. we still have a ways to go, lots of room for improvment. first extra money that i can save i will start buying stock on game companies. sounds like a good plan

Elios83

Honestly I'm really impressed by the US market performance overall.
Notwithstanding the recession and other difficulties the american entertainment market has expanded so much that today we are having SIX products which if you go past the stupid console war are ALL simultaneously doing great numbers which only a market leader was able to do during previous generations.
So after all it's good to see this industry so healthy.

BTW are official comments from Sony and Nintendo (we've already heard Microsoft's take) out?

RBH

GottiDC said:
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,
i remeber when they said blu ray would be the down fall of ps3, and blu ray would fail,,,,,,,the media FAILED.

I remeber when they said ps3 would never outsell the 360, THE MEDIA FAILED
I remember when they said the ps3 would never outsell the wii in japan, THE MEDIA FAILED

I remember when they said hddvd was the superio farmat, and would kill blu ray........they FAILED AGAIN. RIP HDDVD 2006-2008
I remember when they said no ps3 game would ever sell on par wit the same 360 version game...THE MEDIA FAILED.

I remember when they said the ps3 would not help blu ray, nor would blu ray help the ps3....THE MEDIA FAILED.

more failers coming.....mgs4 will not help ps3, killzone will flop, ect.

lets see how mush more 360 fans and the "media will fail again, as the year goes on. :lol:lol
BRDBritneySpearsRant2.jpg

botticus

Stumpokapow said:
I'd put the tilt higher than that based on the following:
- Rock Band + GH3 360 > GH3 Wii, so that about covers average purchase price above 60/50.
- Wii budget games are more prevalent and cheaper than the 360's, so that covers average purchase price below 60/50.

I'd say that the 360 probably had a slight lead in software this month. I'd argue the difference in average purchase price is probably around 32-34% versus the difference in software sales of 40%.
I'd accept that reasoning.

Frillen

Nintendo said:
March 13, 2008

Nintendo News

NPD Reports Nintendo’s Solid U.S. Sales for February

The latest video game industry sales figures reported by the independent NPD
Group show that Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ topped the U.S. charts for February.
Nintendo DS sold nearly 587,600 units and Wii sold nearly 432,000.

“Our momentum has not let up since the holidays and we expect it to continue
throughout the year,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive
vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We have the industry’s strongest lineup
of games for everyone from core to casual gamers.”

February sales, according to NPD, in the United States:

· Nintendo sold more than 1 million hardware units combined, accounting for
nearly half (47.6 percent) of all hardware sold.
· Nintendo DS games topped all software sales, with more than 3.6 million
units sold. Consumers purchased nearly 2.9 million software units for
Wii. Four of every 10 games sold were for Nintendo systems.
· Three games in the top five sellers for February play on Nintendo
systems, including two from third-party publishers.
· Nearly 1.7 million accessories were purchased for Wii, more than for any
other system. More than 1.2 million accessories were sold for Nintendo DS
as well.

jeah

Stumpokapow said:
Erm, at least a few of these veer from spin into the "factually incorrect" zone.

First, the lifetime attach rate figure is both liberal with its rounding estimates to the point that no one would really make that assumption. Second, when launch-aligning tie ratios the difference between the Wii and the 360 is actually <~30%. No doubt the 360 is a major beast in this area, but let's stick with its actual record of achievement rather than lying.

Second, nothing the cash dollars software sales monthly, Wii sales and 360 sales were near tied. The numbers suggest that the 360 had a 40% cash value bonus over the Wii, but the 360 has a minimum ~30% average software purchase price over the Wii. Their statement is true, but actually diminishes the 360 when you consider its implications.

The "Microsoft internal estimates" for the Wii and PS3's online communities are a laughing stock. "Turning 10 million gamers into developers" even moreso.

It's pretty full with liberal use of rounding and truthfulness. Nearly Twice the tie ratio? I suppose if you say it's closer to 2 than to 1, but it's much, much closer to 1.5 than to 2. :lol

Most of it is laughable, but it is nice to get the marketshare out there publically. It shows that the Wii and PS3 continue to grow their marketshare beyond their installed base numbers.

Meier

Those Lost Odyssey sales are phenomenal. Do we have any Layton numbers? It deserves to sell a million copies.. nay, five million.

Just looked it up on TSE.. 91k. Hopefully it's just a start of things to come. Pretty heinous start for DQ Swords -- it's surprisingly decent and deserves much better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sonycowboy said:
Most of it is laughable, but it is nice to get the marketshare out there publically. It shows that the Wii and PS3 continue to grow their marketshare beyond their installed base numbers.

Good point. Sometimes I take for granted that while PR leaks junk info, at least its non-junk enough to allow us to have rules-sanctioned discussions of issues we would not normally be able to discuss.

Top Bottom