• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Raistlin

RBH said:
BRDBritneySpearsRant2.jpg
:lol

Perfect

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
NeoUltima said:
Attach ratio higher on Ps3? Damn, those ps3 owners don't buy any games :sarcasm

Why are we punished with this inherently broken thought all the time? It's only valid if you're comparing things with a very similar base.

gtj1092

charlequin said:
Because in market realities, brand generally serves as a tiebreaker -- given equivalent value propositions, or value close enough to make people uncertain of their choice, they will select the familiar or preferred brand. It very rarely overcomes a superior value proposition for an opposing product, which is why arguments of the form "I acknowledge that the X360 is cheaper and taking advantage of market-leader network externalities, but people will buy title X on PS3 because they love the PlayStation brand!" are unconvincing.

But that is your perceived value proposition. Its different for everyone. You cant tell me you dont know people that only buy one brand of car or TV for no rational reason at all besides that fact the brand has never failed them. Thinking about it that is pretty rational. It works both ways if a brand fails them they will remember for future purchases so why wouldn't affect them when they have an overall positive association with a brand.

botticus

Frillen said:
So we have:

DS Total Software sales February 08 NPD: 3.6 Mill
Wii Total Sofwtare sales February 08 NPD: 2.9 Mill
And those numbers are ~40% of the total software. 360 has to be right around 3 million, or Nintendo would have boasted about outselling them.

MisterHero

Lion Heart said:
Lol everyone thinks they won.
Ever have one of those days where you wake up surrounded by piles and piles of money and have no idea where it came from?

Nintendo has that everyday. They need PR to tell them what happened.

Iksenpets

Banned
Meier said:
Those Lost Odyssey sales are phenomenal. Do we have any Layton numbers? It deserves to sell a million copies.. nay, five million.

Just looked it up on TSE.. 91k. Hopefully it's just a start of things to come. Pretty heinous start for DQ Swords -- it's surprisingly decent and deserves much better.

91K is the number thesimexchange gave.

DeadGzuz

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Why are we punished with this inherently broken thought all the time? It's only valid if you're comparing things with a very similar base.

Edit: I don't have a clue what you are getting at, nm.

Lion Heart said:
Lol everyone thinks they won.
Everyone did win, that's what sonycowboy is getting at.

All three major dominant consoles have seen growth of last year, last gens leader has seen growth from last year, handhelds continue along a dominating path, the industry on the whole is booming terrifically.

taconinja

MisterHero said:
HAHA SMASH BROS DIDNT EVEN CHART

TAKE THAT NINNYTENDO
Okay. I was having one of the shittiest nights in my recent memory. I may lose my job soon.

But you made me laugh for the first time since the bad news at work broke.

Thanks. I really mean that. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hcoregamer00 said:
How did Ace Attorney 4 do?

I bet under 20,000

:/

Don't worry about AA4 numbers. All three of the previous games were slow burners but have accumulated appreciable totals. AA1 and AA2 are pretty much tied in lifetime sales, and AA3 is at around ~55% of those two. AA4 should do just fine in the long haul.

Threi

notag
Thunder Monkey said:
Everyone did win, that's what sonycowboy is getting at.

All three major dominant consoles have seen growth of last year, last gens leader has seen growth from last year, handhelds continue along a dominating path, the industry on the whole is booming terrifically.

Kinda makes me wonder why people are still so caught up in the system warz like kids.

YES!!!!

PLAYSTATION BEAT XBOX AGAIN!!!

EAT THAT SHIT, MICROSOFT! EAT THAT SHIT.

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

:D :D :D

I'M SO JAMMING TO JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME RIGHT NOW.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

titiklabingapat said:
For all the hype and tears DMC brought, those sales were pretty underwhelming.
I know, right? Capcom.

gtj1092

squatingyeti said:

So games shouldnt be expected to sell more on 360. Maybe not in line with hardware ratio but come on if you are gonna brag about tie ratios and software beast this and that and lulz no one buys games on Ps3. You have to take the comparison of big games on both platforms.

Wow I just noted Ive been quoting you alot. Never really look at screen names but man you seem to defend the 360 at every turn.

Chumly

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

I know, right? Capcom.
uh

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Threi said:
Kinda makes me wonder why people are still so caught up in the system warz like kids.

See, with the Media Create threads, things move slowly enough that the reasonable posters can whip well-intentioned but foolish newcomers and long-time trolls into shape or at least force them to leave.

Because NPD threads are just a staccato of one-liner posts, it's harder to try to improve the quality of discussion. Only the nauseatingly dumb posters get banned or formally punished, so the regularly stupid ones slip through the cracks.

Narag

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.

29 total posts and this is post 29. Well done.

Ariexv

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.
wtf o.0

taconinja

WarLox said:
Theres only 1 true winner here... and when the price drop comes around.. heads will bow... and coats will be taken
You mean the Wii, right? Imagine what that thing will do when it goes below $200.

To everyone else, not trying to be a fanboy. Just yanking this guy's chain.

AppleMIX

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.

We need to ban juniors from NPD threads.

RBH

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.
facepalm.jpg

AppleMIX said:
We need to ban juniors from NPD threads.

Interesting idea...

Threi said:
Because everyone likes things easy and clear cut.

Black and White.

This month has severe layers. For instance every single platform was up from last year. Some more then others, but all up. Software sales were also ridiculously high.

Hardware and software totals show who is in the "lead" but there's nothing bad for anyone this month. Industry booming at large party and everyones invited!

Piper Az

Lesson to learn from Feb NPD

Low priced hardware = KING

Xbox360 and PS3 better go down in price rapidly if they want to capture the dominant marketshare.

botticus

Grecco said:
Releasing it sooo soon after PW3 and a week after layton probably hurt it
I'm hoping the fact that it actually did something new (both story and mechanics) was known well enough to give it a boost to balance that.

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.

If there is a god in heaven he will be banned.

Ariexv

taconinja said:
You mean the Wii, right? Imagine what that thing will do when it goes below $200.

To everyone else, not trying to be a fanboy. Just yanking this guy's chain.
If the Wii keeps selling like it is it'll be the last system below $200 :p simply because they sell out anyways :D

Would be awesome if that happened purely to see what everyone says when the "Last gen" console is more expensive and still sells more then the other 2 :eek:

Busaiku

botticus said:
And those numbers are ~40% of the total software. 360 has to be right around 3 million, or Nintendo would have boasted about outselling them.
Well that chart from TeamXBox says 360 had an attach ratio of 7.2.
7.2 x 254.6k = 1,883,120

Narag

Threi said:

Ultimately its because they're insecure in their purchases and do their best to validate them after the fact.

Grecco

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.

magazinerack.gif

Doubledex

Banned
smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.

I love you

Top Bottom