• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

nib95

Banned
taconinja said:
You mean the Wii, right? Imagine what that thing will do when it goes below $200.

To everyone else, not trying to be a fanboy. Just yanking this guy's chain.

I don;t think the Wii will have the legs PS2 does. Simply because, in a few years, PS3/360's are going to be $200 or less, and by that time they'll make the Wii seem like a rip off. Especially when you go by a hardware comparison stand point.

Frillen

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

PLAYSTATION BEAT XBOX AGAIN!!!

EAT THAT SHIT, MICROSOFT! EAT THAT SHIT.

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

:D :D :D

I'M SO JAMMING TO JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME RIGHT NOW.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

I know, right? Capcom.

I thought bishop had the ban hammer ready.

gtj1092 said:
But that is your perceived value proposition. Its different for everyone.

You misunderstand me. People occasionally try to argue that brand is enough, in and of itself, to overcome an acknowledged advantage enjoyed by another product; that's the argument that doesn't make sense. In gaming, where your experience using the product is so dependent on software, this is especially relevant; someone is much more likely to make their determination based on the X360's software library, or the PS3's BluRay player, than brand loyalty because all three systems offer a very different experience than their predecessors.

You cant tell me you dont know people that only buy one brand of car or TV for no rational reason at all besides that fact the brand has never failed them.

Sure, people do this, in situations where the brand continues to deliver a product comparable to what they've enjoyed in the past. When the product changes (as the PS3 and X360 did in comparison to the PS2 and Xbox, and as the Wii very much did in comparison to the GC) consumers will generally re-evaluate their brand loyalty.

test_account

XP-39C²
MisterHero said:
Ever have one of those days where you wake up surrounded by piles and piles of money and have no idea where it came from?

Nintendo has that everyday. They need PR to tell them what happened.

Why wouldnt they know were the money is comming from? :)

taconinja

Ariexv said:
If the Wii keeps selling like it is it'll be the last system below $200 :p simply because they sell out anyways :D

Would be awesome if that happened purely to see what everyone says when the "Last gen" console is more expensive and still sells more then the other 2 :eek:
Good point. ;)

(See everyone! Not all the juniors are nucking futs!)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

EAT THAT SHIT, MICROSOFT! EAT THAT SHIT. THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

I'M SO JAMMING TO JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME RIGHT NOW..

Jordin Sparks? Fuck that. You're a console warrior, you need WAR MUSIC! Here, I wrote this one for you.

A Perfect Console - Counting Red Rings Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The NPD

Don't fret precious Sony's here.
Step away from the window.
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
I won't let Bill Gates come

Counting red rings like sheep
to the rhythm of the NPD

Pay no mind to the Wii sales!
Pay no mind to the Wii sales!

Head down, go to sleep
to the rhythm of the NPD

Pay no mind to what other fanboys say
They don't care about you, like I do
Safe from Live, and Waggle, and Halo
and other poison devils
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do

Just stay with me, safe and un-ignorant
Go back to sleep
Go back to sleep

Lay your head down child
I won't let Bill Gates come
Count the Red Rings like sheep
to the rhythm of the NPD

Pay no mind to the Wii sales
Pay no mind to the Wii sales

I'll be the one to protect you from
other consoles and all their software

A Wii to play and the voice of casuals

Other consoles and your mini-games son
They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself

Swayin' to the rhythm of the new Sony order and count Red Rings like sheep
to the rhythm of the NPD

The Nin-tards are comin'
The Nin-tards are comin'

The Hermit

0a8beef9.jpg

Now that was unespected.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Busaiku said:
Nope, says Feburary NPD data shows it had that attach ratio.

If that's February numbers, then the average 360 game purchase price (assuming also the number of 190 million software income) is $100. Stop and think about that.

Anyone have sales numbers on R4's because I'm pissed that a game like Layton can't crack 100k in a month when almost 600k brand new DS systems went out the door in the month alone.

jibblypop

Banned
Wow the 2 nintendo systems won by a very comfortable margin.

However I think that the results for the other systems from Sony and Microsoft are pretty damn good for this time of year. I think if DS and Wii didn't exist then those sales would seem as good as they are.

Nintendo though... you guys got it. Smash Bros is gonna destroy.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
most people here really underestimate how much the general gaming public actually likes Wii Play as a game.

lopaz

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Anyone have sales numbers on R4's because I'm pissed that a game like Layton can't crack 100k in a month when almost 600k brand new DS systems went out the door in the month alone.

I was really surprised at that. Lots of the mainstream websites were covering it, and Nintendo was pimping it like there wus no tomorrow

Elios83

Official comments from Sony:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9549&Itemid=2

PS3 outsold rival Xbox 360 in February, according to the NPD Group, selling 280,800 versus Xbox 360's 254,600. And with March not even finished yet, Sony is hyping up its April and June prospects.

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton said in a statement, “Consumers are recognizing the tremendous value of PS3 and we believe that Blu-ray becoming the high-def format of choice was the tipping point for many consumers. With monster titles like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Grand Theft Auto IV launching in April and Metal Gear Solid 4 in June, we’re demonstrating this is the year for PS3.”

Sony also released some fresh stats for its products and services. According to the company, PlayStation Network boasts 3.3 million registered accounts in North America and over 56 million total downloads life-to-date from the PlayStation Store.

In February, PSN's total downloads exceeded 6.3 million in February 2008, comparing favorably to the 6.6 million downloads during the holiday season in December 2007.

PSP has also made strides in terms of hardware sales, selling 243,115 in February, a 38 percent year-on-year increase.

Sony also was keen to point out that PlayStation branded products (PS3, PSP, PS2) generated the most retail dollar sales in the US for the second month in a row with $511 million.

Sony said PS3 beat out Microsoft and Nintendo in the key categories of total hardware revenues and software revenues in recent months, thanks in large part to having three viable platforms on the market at once: Year-to-date, the PlayStation brand generated nearly $1 billion in the US. PlayStation hardware revenue was $204 million in February, while PlayStation software revenue was $247 million during the month, beating out rivals.

Official comments by Nintendo
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9550&Itemid=2
Nintendo managed to manhandle PS3 and Xbox 360 hardware sales in February, selling 432,000 Wii units, compared to 280,800 for PS3 and 254,600 for Xbox 360, according to the NPD Group.

That's not even to mention the DS, which sold 587,600, leading all other hardware for February in the US.

In all, Nintendo hardware accounted for nearly half of all hardware sold during February in terms of units.

“Our momentum has not let up since the holidays and we expect it to continue throughout the year,” said Nintendo of America EVP of marketing Cammie Dunaway in a post-NPD statement.

Nintendo software fared well during the month as well, as consumers purchased 3.6 million DS games and nearly 2.9 million Wii games.

On the accessory front, consumers bought 1.2 million DS accessories and nearly 1.7 million for Wii.

PS3's software tie-in-ratio is next in line to dominate, now that the big, heavy hitters are about to come out. It's going to be like, one after the other in 2008.

Narag said:
29 total posts and this is post 29. Well done.
I intend to be quite prolific so get my autograph while I'm in this good mood.

exarkun said:
Don't ban him! He made me laugh out loud. Great work, juniors try so hard. Its great.
Thanks, man. Everyone wants to shit on my parade for some reason, like I don't have as much right to it as anyone else. WTF, right?

Doubledex said:
I love you
Well, I just saw your post history, and I must say that I love you too.

HokieJoe

Mariah Carey said:
"Next Gen" is over two years old and it's still getting its fanny kicked around by machines cheap enough that people will actually buy them. I love it.

Fixed.

Price matters, and HD acceptance is still marginal. When you put the transition to HDTV in perspective, I think it will prove one of the more difficult consumer electronics migrations in history. The stooges in Washington should have dropped the hammer on this SDTV shit three years ago.

It's already been said, but I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) that DQS did so poorly.

I guess the nasty reception it received spurred that. Don't DQ spin-offs generally do OK here?

I love it, though...one of my absolute favorite Wii games. Not flawless, but not at all deserving of the venom headed its way, IMHO.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Stumpokapow said:
Don't worry about AA4 numbers. All three of the previous games were slow burners but have accumulated appreciable totals. AA1 and AA2 are pretty much tied in lifetime sales, and AA3 is at around ~55% of those two. AA4 should do just fine in the long haul.

Really?

Ace Attorney 2 hit the 80,000 mark already???

I had no idea.

taconinja

nib95 said:
I don;t think the Wii will have the legs PS2 does. Simply because, in a few years, PS3/360's are going to be $200 or less, and by that time they'll make the Wii seem like a rip off. Especially when you go by a hardware comparison stand point.
You do realize I was messing with the guy, right? I don't know what will happen in the future. I'm not a sales forecaster, nor do I pretend to be one. I like reading these threads to see how things are going in the industry.

Ariexv

Stumpokapow said:
If that's February numbers, then the average 360 game purchase price (assuming also the number of 190 million software income) is $100. Stop and think about that.
Lots of Rockband and Uber edition of games? -_-

Bizzyb

Banned
So does this mean supply shortages for 360?
And what the hell are people playing on Wii?? Where's Galaxy?? I mean c'mon...wii play?? STILL!??

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Damn the PS2 will never stop, I must be the only one that doesn't own one. :lol

Bildi

I'd like to work in Nintendo's marketing department - must be the easiest job in the world right now.

"We sold a shit-ton more than anyone else."

Done.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

EAT THAT SHIT, MICROSOFT! EAT THAT SHIT.

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

I'M SO JAMMING TO JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME RIGHT NOW.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

I know, right? Capcom.

Snah or tjhooker? ladies and gentlemen, place your bets!

Sean

Banned
PS2 had the $99 Target promotion in February, which explains the huge boost. It goes to show what a HUGE difference that a drop of just $29 can make. When PS2 officially/permanently drops to $99 it's going to do gangbusters.

The real surprise is CoD4 still holding onto the top spot for 4 months in a row. Most other titles (like Assassin's Creed and Super Mario Galaxy) dropped out of the top 10, but this game has legs. It'll get beaten next month by Smash Bros but it had a nice run at the top.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but Rock Band on 360 passed a million this month - LTD is 1,119,800 units.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bizzyb said:
I mean c'mon...wii play?? STILL!??
Don't hate, its a great deal. Its only $10 more than a controller and it comes with 9 games that are fun.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
To go along with sonycowboy's admirable attempt to change the topic, the industry is going to be kicking ass for the forseeable future:

March- Smash Brothers

April- GTAIV and Mario Kart

May- Wii Fit

June- MGS4

Holy Crap

MS better have something up their sleeve. I know they were somewhat supply constrained for part of February, but they really weren't for the last week or two of the month.

If they can't maintain a lead in NA, their WW lead over the PS3 is going to disappear even faster than it already inevitably will.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
MS better have something up their sleeve. I know they were somewhat supply constrained for part of February, but they really weren't for the last week or two of the month.

If they can't maintain a lead in NA, their WW lead over the PS3 is going to disappear even faster than it already inevitably will.

Yeah. I'm assuming April is going to see a significant price drop. It better, or they are in trouble, considering how weak they are everywhere else.

RBH

schuelma said:
To go along with sonycowboy's admirable attempt to change the topic, the industry is going to be kicking ass for the forseeable future:

March- Smash Brothers

May- Wii Fit

June- MGS4 and Ninja Gaiden II

Holy Crap
Fixed. :)

Segata Sanshiro said:

They're saving the units for the GTAIV launch.

Believe.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Segata Sanshiro said:

Jan/2008 -- 230K -- 269K -- (-39K)
Feb/2008 -- 255K -- 281K -- (-26K)

Microsoft closed on Sony's lead from January to February. To me, that makes it appear that supply issues are fine and March is going to be good from them.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
schuelma said:

March- Smash Brothers

May- Wii Fit

June- MGS4

Holy Crap
Don't forget that Ninja Gaiden II also comes out in June, I'm sure it'll be in to top 10 as well.

RBH said:
Beaten. :lol

taconinja

schuelma said:

March- Smash Brothers

May- Wii Fit

June- MGS4

Holy Crap
Yeah. It's already been a huge year.

Now as I've said, I'm not a sales forecaster, but I am interested in these things. How likely is it that sales on Mario Kart will be greater than or roughly equal to GTAIV? My guess is that GTA would curbstomp it. Dunno though.

MisterHero

test_account said:
Why wouldnt they know were the money is comming from? :)
According to posters on here, they only think they are winning.

They don't do the sensible thing by concluding that their efforts are working and knowing that they are winning.

schuelma

taconinja said:
Yeah. It's already been a huge year.

Now as I've said, I'm not a sales forecaster, but I am interested in these things. How likely is it that sales on Mario Kart will be greater than or roughly equal to GTAIV? My guess is that GTA would curbstomp it. Dunno though.

Yeah I think GTA will handily beat out Mario Kart. But I think Mario Kart will still do very very well.

Top Bottom