• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Elios83 said:
Official comments from Sony:
Sony also released some fresh stats for its products and services. According to the company, PlayStation Network boasts 3.3 million registered accounts in North America and over 56 million total downloads life-to-date from the PlayStation Store.

In February, PSN's total downloads exceeded 6.3 million in February 2008, comparing favorably to the 6.6 million downloads during the holiday season in December 2007.
I'm really glad to see Sony finally giving statistical props to and touting the PSN. It makes me think that while 2008 will be the year of the Blu-Ray games, 2009 could shape up to be the year of the PSN games.

shas'la

I'd be really concernd about maintaining the momentum of the DS if i was Nintendo, Especially with the lag of actually deciding to make a game and then it coming to store shelves. If the sales drop mid year, they have no flagship titles to stimulate interest/ press attention.

Mrbob

Agent Icebeezy said:
Jan/2008 -- 230K -- 269K -- (-39K)
Feb/2008 -- 255K -- 281K -- (-26K)

Microsoft closed on Sony's lead from January to February. To me, that makes it appear that supply issues are fine and March is going to be good from them.

This is also making the assumption the only reason for higher PS3 sales is the lack of 360 on the shelf. I'm starting to think this isn't the case.

GAF better buckle down. We might have 3 consoles selling well at one time in the USA.

Segata Sanshiro said:
MS better have something up their sleeve. I know they were somewhat supply constrained for part of February, but they really weren't for the last week or two of the month.

If they can't maintain a lead in NA, their WW lead over the PS3 is going to disappear even faster than it already inevitably will.

GTA IV should help the 360 proportionally better due to the exclusive content. I do expect a price drop as well. Sony seems to have put it's eggs into the MGS4 basket, so I don't know how well they can respond in April/May.

The PS3 only beat it by a small percentage the past 2 months, so I don't think it's a matter of trying to one-up the other at this point. The PS3 just needed to find it's feet. I think the key will be acheiving their own internal HW sales goals. Regardless of how well / badly the PS3 sells. And they couldn't have prayed for it to have sold worse than it did in 06/07.

As in most markets, you can't expect to completely rule. If HW sales are healthy (they're better than both 06 and 07), then they should feel fine.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
This is also making the assumption the only reason for higher PS3 sales is the lack of 360 on the shelf. I'm starting to think this isn't the case.

GAF better buckle down. We might have 3 consoles selling well at one time in the USA.

No, all three are going to sell well, I'm basically using it to show that Microsoft has remedied their supply issues.

-Rogue5-

I wonder what Sony thinks of those PS2 numbers? I mean, now that Blu-Ray has won, even if PS3 sales ended up somewhat plateauing (being bought as a Blu-Ray player, not a console, by those who don't want to get fisted by standalone BDplayer prices), the PS2 could still maintain profitability for them in their games business.

I'm also curious as to how much they produce PS2s for -- I wouldn't be surprised if the profit margin was much higher on each PS2 sold, simply because manufacturing them has to have gotten incredibly cheap by now. If that's the case, then they're making a shit-load of money. And if that's the case, at what point do they stop pimping the PS2?

Do you think PS2 sales are cannibalizing PS3 sales? Do you think casual gamers (the ones still picking up PS2s) will eventually migrate to a (backwards compatibile) PS3 out of convenience (and because casuals would be more interested in BDplayback than Live)?

I think this console generation is gonna be a lot longer for Sony (maybe even Nintendo), even if MS pulls the trigger and releases the Xbox720 in 2010.

EDIT: I wanna see MS pull a killer move; Core/Arcade systems for $149 in April... something that will definitively put them in the casual gamer race long before it's cost plausible for the PS3. I just get this feeling that, unless MS make up the casual gamer sales now (while the PS3 can't), due to casual gamer features like Blu-Ray and built-in everything (web-browser, rechargeable controllers, HDD, Wifi, etc.) the PS3 will inevitably dominate if they remain similarly priced.

Davidion

taconinja said:
Yeah. It's already been a huge year.

Now as I've said, I'm not a sales forecaster, but I am interested in these things. How likely is it that sales on Mario Kart will be greater than or roughly equal to GTAIV? My guess is that GTA would curbstomp it. Dunno though.

I think they could be on par with each other if MK does well. Though GTA is still too tremendous a brand for MK to dominate, wishful thinking as that may be for some.

Nice numbers this month. I love the pitifully selective shout-outs though, those are the best comes NPD day. :lol :lol :lol :lol

"HEY WE ROCKED YOUR SORRY ASSES!"
"yeah but what about those other two teams that beat your fac..."
"WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM RIGHT NOW"

FF_VIII

Banned
smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

PLAYSTATION BEAT XBOX AGAIN!!!

EAT THAT SHIT, MICROSOFT! EAT THAT SHIT.

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

:D :D :D

I'M SO JAMMING TO JORDIN SPARKS - ONE STEP AT A TIME RIGHT NOW.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

I know, right? Capcom.

:lol

I love you

ninjavanish said:
Feb 07: $600
Feb 08: $400

Feb 07 it cost 150% of what it costs Feb 08.

econ 101, in the house.

I'm assuming you're talking about the lower-end models, so wouldn't it be:

Feb 07: $500

?

oldschlgmr said:
I'm assuming you're talking about the lower-end models, so wouldn't it be:

Feb 07: $500

?

I have never once in my life seen a 20gb PS3. As far as I'm concerned they're a myth and to the average consumer the only PS3 on store shevles Feb 07 was the $600 60gb PS3. Right now those 80gbs are getting harder to find but the 40gbs are at every store.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Gamer @ Heart said:
Sqaure failed with DQ:S by taking so fucking long to translating it at releasing it at full price.

Who would have thought that No More Heroes would drastically outsell DQ:S?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
HokieJoe said:
Fixed.

Price matters, and HD acceptance is still marginal. When you put the transition to HDTV in perspective, I think it will prove one of the more difficult consumer electronics migrations in history. The stooges in Washington should have dropped the hammer on this SDTV shit three years ago.

Just FYI they're not doing anything to SDTV, just making the switch from analog to digital signals. Meaning you won't be able to get TV through "rabbit ears" anymore.

Anyway thank god the industry is starting to space out their big releases throughout the year. Makes gaming and NPD threads way more interesting all year round:)

Warm Machine said:
Anyone have sales numbers on R4's because I'm pissed that a game like Layton can't crack 100k in a month when almost 600k brand new DS systems went out the door in the month alone.

Good point, since communities (Europe) have been picking up this game pretty well.

But I also know that my own import will show up on the Canadian NPD, so maybe that's where the real sales are... I hope.

WinFonda

ninjavanish said:
I have never once in my life seen a 20gb PS3. As far as I'm concerned they're a myth and to the average consumer the only PS3 on store shevles Feb 07 was the $600 60gb PS3. Right now those 80gbs are getting harder to find but the 40gbs are at every store.
20GB owner representin'

And I love my Unicorn

J-Rzez

Elios83 said:

That's fine and dandy, but in all actually, Next-gen gaming is still outselling them. Sony was able to talk trash last gen by single handedly demolishing the market ratios. So far, Ninty shouldn't get cocky. Crazy good numbers indeed, but the Wii has more of a questionable future this gen than the PS2 ever had in the long haul, it'll be interesting to see the following year or so.

Segata Sanshiro said:
MS better have something up their sleeve. I know they were somewhat supply constrained for part of February, but they really weren't for the last week or two of the month.

If they can't maintain a lead in NA, their WW lead over the PS3 is going to disappear even faster than it already inevitably will.
Yes, Microsoft only has a lead of roughly 6 million. At this rate 2026 could be the year of the PS3.

Redd

tanod said:
People need a PS2 to play their PS2 games to go along with their non-BC 40GB PS3?

That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the sales of PS3 be more closer to sales of the PS2. Is it so hard to believe that these consumers are buying a cheap console with arguably the best games released on a a single console.

200802NPD2.jpg

zorro1.jpg

legend166

J-Rzez said:
That's fine and dandy, but in all actually, Next-gen gaming is still outselling them. Sony was able to talk trash last gen by single handedly demolishing the market ratios. So far, Ninty shouldn't get cocky. Crazy good numbers indeed, but the Wii has more of a questionable future this gen than the PS2 ever had in the long haul, it'll be interesting to see the following year or so.

wait what

In terms of how long the Wii is going to last, no sane person thinks it will match the PS2.

Mar

smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

How does that shit taste, Microsoft? How does it taste? Get used to the taste, Microsoft. Get used to the taste.

THIS BACK TO BACK VICTORY WAS A LONG TIME COMING, AND YOU'LL BE EATING SHIT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME, SHIT EATERS.

Fuck, all Sony needs now is that big release in June. You know what I'm talking about, that legendary bundle of the forever.

fail.jpg

Wollan

dirtmonkey37 said:
Have both the PS3 and 360 versions of COD4 collectively outsold Halo 3?
That happened last year I believe.
Anyways..

PS3 just needs to keep doing those numbers now. Two great months in a row now. Seems BD has a impact.

Zzoram said:
No way Lost Odyssey breaks a million, but it will get to 600K+ by the end of the year.
I don't know if it can ever be judge, but I bet a BAN OF 3 MONTHS THAT lo DOES OVER A MILLION WORLDWIDE BY DEC 31TH

Bajan32

AppleMIX said:
We need to ban juniors from NPD threads.

Please don't say that... im a good junior, i dont even spout off in the NPD threads =/ or anywhere else for that matter... can we just ban idiots/straightup fan boys instead? i might have something logical to add in one of these threads like...

Awesome month for everyone^^

schuelma said:
To go along with sonycowboy's admirable attempt to change the topic, the industry is going to be kicking ass for the forseeable future:

March- Smash Brothers

April- GTAIV and Mario Kart

May- Wii Fit

June- MGS4

Holy Crap

And GT5:p, too.

JdFoX187

Banned
Glad to see Turok sell well, it deserves it. Congrats Bish.

As far as everything else, pretty good. PS3 did decent numbers, as did the 360. Wii is a beast, as always.

duk

Banned
smokeychan said:
YES!!!!

I know, right? Capcom.

this is allowable?

Top Bottom