• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

TheGreatDave said:
I know. That's my point. The userbase size is dictating sales, not brand loyalty.

Yes but the tie ratio for DMC4 on the PS3 versus the ratio on 360 is far better than on previous mp titles.

Xisiqomelir

Bildi said:
Updated my post. Sorry that took a minute - I uploaded one that I thought was launch aligned but it wasn't.

200802NPD4.jpg

Thanks, much appreciated.

Iksenpets

Banned
sonycowboy said:
There is a little game called Super Smash Bros that came out this month that's going to crush everything, everywhere ;)

How did I forget that?? :lol

All those all night sessions of Smash Bros must be getting to my brain.

SnowDog

Neo Member
TheGreatDave said:
If DMC sells better on the PS3 than the 360 in any country, it'll be because the 360 has a smaller audience. Not because of "brand loyalty". It outsold the PS3 version in the UK, and we used to such Sony's cock and beg for a money shot.
It was advantaged by the fact that the 360 version was priced $20 cheaper than the PS3 version in the UK

DeadGzuz said:
I love 360 fans can't comprehend how much smaller the NA user base is. Did you fail math? How about you divide all the 360 software sales by 3 and post a new top ten list?
that never mattered in the ps2/xbox days. xbox still kept up in software sales. arguement failed. :lol

Dante

Shepherd said:
All any of us can do is comment on the information provided to us. That shows the 360 as a software selling beast. Selling nearing 5 times the PS3 software numbers.

Didn't you make a ban bet last month?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The small gap for DMC4 is surprising. I guess it's safe to say it's sold better on PS3 overall worldwide so far? Shock, horror, etc..

As for other software, it'd be nice to have some insight on how PS3 stuff has been selling, proportionately. Judging by sonycowboy's comments I'm guessing it's been another fairly good month in that regard, but any specifics would be nice :p

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm going to guess that you're crazy.

With publishers saying they need to sell at least a million copies of a high end game to turn a profit, you think I'm crazy? Okay. Cognitive balancing is an interesting thing.

Narag

Stumpokapow said:
It's cute when people think I'm a fanboy because I have an interest in numbers and want to discuss them objectively. Shows how pathetic the state of discourse is in NPD threads.
heh, i felt for you in the Ted Price thread. What a wreck.

RBH

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Lost Odyssey didn't sell well. It's sold ~200k in America, ~100k in Japan, and for argument's sake say it sells ~200k in Europe and then another ~100k across all three markets for the rest of its sales life.

That's still only 600k. That has to be a big financial loss when you add in the game's marketing budget.
Only 600k? :lol

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft and Mistwalker are very happy with Lost Odyssey's sales given how Blue Dragon bombed outside of Japan.

For an RPG not named Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey has sold pretty well.

Zzoram

Lost Odyssey didn't sell well. It's sold ~200k in America, ~100k in Japan, and for argument's sake say it sells ~200k in Europe and then another ~100k across all three markets for the rest of its sales life.

That's still only 600k. That has to be a big financial loss when you add in the game's marketing budget.

I think GAF overestimates the cost of making and marketing video games. Not every game has to be a million seller to profit (and the vast majority of games don't break a million).

Narcosis said:
For a Japanese RPG that doesn't have "Final fantasy" or "Dragon Quest" in the name, that's really good for initial sales. Square's sales numbers on their larger games skew perceptions of the entire genre as a whole as far as what we should expect from JRPG retail numbers

And more importantly, it exceeded expectations, I believe...which means...

!!!GROWN UP MACK AND COOKE SIDE PROJECT!!!

YES!! GOOD GUYS WIN, BAD GUYS DIE!!!!!

With publishers saying they need to sell at least a million copies of a high end game to turn a profit, you think I'm crazy? Okay. Cognitive balancing is an interesting thing.

publishers are also giving a % of game sales to the console makers. since this game is from MS they keep that money.

Stumpakapow said:
Uh, no.

The Wii beat the 360 for software last month and the month before. The DS demolishes its only competition by triple-digit factors, even taking into account install base differences. There's more to software than the top 10.

The PS3's software is poor, inside and outside the top 10. Not PSP level poor by any means, but certainly still fairly weak.
Really? Could you quote the source please? :)

Xisiqomelir

Stumpokapow said:
It's cute when people think I'm a fanboy because I have an interest in numbers and want to discuss them objectively. Shows how pathetic the state of discourse is in NPD threads.

Fanboys can only think in fanboy terms, why bother about it? :lol

gtj1092

squatingyeti said:
OR, it could mean people bought other games on the 360. I do see a few of them on the top 10, is that just me?

Why is brand loyalty dismissed so readily on this forum. There is a such thing as brand loyalty it doesnt equate to fanboy. People are brand loyal to all sorts of products from cars to T.V.s so why wouldnt it equate to videogames.

beef3483

Mrbob said:
I wish we could move WiiPlay off the software charts and onto the accessory charts. It is clearly being bought as an extra controller, and since we only get 10 slots a month for software sales it feels like a waste having it on the top 10 list.

It will make up for Wii Fit not being counted as software sales.

neptunes

a relatively niche genre, selling the numbers you've proposed (on a console not known for many of them) is considered a failure?

I still think it might do a little more than 300K for it entire LTD. I can see this game continuing to sell well after it goes "platinum hits". Just like with FFX on the ps2.

Busaiku

titiklabingapat said:
There was no significant release during then whole month of February. Smash was in March.
Also keep in mind, that the top 10 doesn't decide total sales.
It's just a small percentage.
The rest of the list could favor Wii over 360 again.

Ariexv

Who's really saying that? For a JRPG 600,000 is pretty damn good if it's not tittled FF or Dragon Quest

harSon

Banned

It sold roughly 500,000-600,000 at retail but it most likely shipped a lot more which is all that really matters to publishers/developers. 500,000-600,000 in itself would cover the games development costs.

Danielsan

What are you smoking. 500k is great especially for a Mistwalker jrpg on a primarily western focussed console. Not every game needs to sell over a million to make a profit you know.

Sheesh this is like the people pissing in Suda's cornflakes all over again.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Another benchmark of note is that the 360 passed the 10 Million mark in USA+Japan. Of course the Wii is still crushing everyone.

Wii 13,522,759
360 10,161,730
PS3 5,722,241

Busaiku said:
Also keep in mind, that the top 10 doesn't decide total sales.
It's just a small percentage.
The rest of the list could favor Wii over 360 again.
Exactly. The nature of the Wii userbase does seem to indicate that this is the case: see December 2007 numbers.

besada

Banned
Good to see LO get some love. I continued to be amused by people who think 600K sales is bad on an RPG.

Great numbers for the PS3. Astonishing numbers for the PS2. Wii continues to consume the soul of gamerdom.

Bishoptl, y'all happy with those Turok numbers? We rarely get a devs take on their own numbers. Want to give us one?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG Layton and LO did fantastic! :D :D

And :O @ DMC4 360 > DMC4 PS3. This and the way PS2 keeps selling really differentiates NA's gaming market from the rest of the world.

Edit: NMH is doing well too, tSE is just crazy.

Top Bottom