• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Grecco

MikeE21286 said:
What game came out to justify 555,000 consoles sold in freakin' July. Lots of it has to do with relative price point and pop culture phenomenon

This is probably true, a couple of weeks ago they name dropped the Wii on Venture Brothers of all places. :lol

Mama Robotnik said:
gaftrek2.gif

That was pretty good man.

They have been outsold for 6 out of the 7 months of 2008 according to NPD.

Pimpbaa

Gaborn said:
Different expectations (though if you take a long term view 2 years ago the PS3's sales today would be unimaginable), the 360 was expected to benefit a bit from a price drop.

I wonder if the PS3's numbers would increase with a price drop. I want both the 360 and the PS3 to sell a lot better than what they are doing.

Frillen

MikeE21286 said:
What game came out to justify 555,000 consoles sold in freakin' July. Lots of it has to do with relative price point and pop culture phenomenon

No, a lot of it is because games like Wii Sports, Wii-Fit and Mario Kart Wii are still driving Wii sales.

donny2112

Mrbob said:
Remember the 80GB PS3 is getting a 100 dollar price drop to $399.99 in September.

Of course it isn't exactly the same thing as the current 80GB system, but this matters not to the mass market. Smart play on Sonys part.

The 80GB coming out in September is not the 80GB with MGS4 (as you just said), so you can't say that the 80GB (as it exists now) is getting a price drop. They're just replacing it was a non-PS2 BC system with the same HDD size at a $100 lesser price.

Mrbob

donny2112 said:
The 80GB coming out in September is not the 80GB with MGS4 (as you just said), so you can't say that the 80GB (as it exists now) is getting a price drop. They're just replacing it was a non-PS2 BC system with the same HDD size at a $100 lesser price.

And to most people this will look like a price drop.

Narcosis

Clinton514 said:
Wasn't the 360 price drop recent? And why are people so surprised by the PS3 beating it out?

The 360 being beaten by PS3 in July was genuinely surprising to me because outside of the mGS4 bump in June, the 2 systems in "normal" months this year have been so close that any little bit of a push through good promo deals (like the $100 walmart rebate on PS3 last month) or a price adjustment (the 360 20 gig this month) could swing the monthly numbers either way. I don't think anyone was expecting mS to "clean house" against the pS3, but I think that anyone guessing before today could have reasonably thought the 20K lead would swing in favor of 360 for July.

Shnookums

viciouskillersquirrel said:
As for the 360, I find it rather odd that its software sales seem to be slowing down. Could it be a backlog effect? By that I mean that when people first buy a console, they get a lot of software at once in a frenzy but slow their purchasing habits afterwards.

I think this could be part of it. It has certainly happened to me.

jimbo

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
?

As if Ps3 sales were good. They are shit, i mean 20k more? :lol . These consoles should be selling >300k at least. Not 200k and change. What a shitty gen.

What are you basing your expectations on? PS2? It was a leading platform and doing those type of numbers at a much lower price. The 360/PS3 are 2nd/3rd at higher prices. I think they are both performing solid.

Ysiadmihi said:
Personally, I don't care about DLC but you're brushing it off like it's nothing which is pretty silly. What bugs me most though is no online play. Inexcusable.

And i'm guessing you didn't purchase it for those reasons. The system works.

Look, I would understand the indignation if Rock Band was to be the type of game people were speculating it to be: A one time only physical game release that would be buoyed by DLC for the rest of the gen. IF that were the case, a gimped Rock Band Wii would be inexcusable. However, this is not how it works. With it's release, the people who wanted the game could get it (and judging by NPD, did) and the ones who thought no DLC and online was too much of a dealbreaker didn't, and will wait for either Rock Band 2, World Tour, or stick with Rock Band on another system. EA gives people what they want short term, then doubles back with a full featured RB sequel.

Gaborn

Pimpbaa said:
I wonder if the PS3's numbers would increase with a price drop. I want both the 360 and the PS3 to sell a lot better than what they are doing.

I don't think so, or at least not much, I think that the audience that is buying those consoles tends to be less price conscious and more about the technology driving it, my thinking is for most of them price is a secondary concern so there's a smaller pool than you might expect waiting to jump in. At the same time, I think that the more mainstream market has made their choice with the Wii and it's built up enough mindshare that it's less able to be enticed by the 360 or PS3 if and when they drop the price.

I am a bit surprised that MS passed on announcing some preventive damage control this month.

Maybe everyone Don talked to refused to humiliate themselves one more time. :lol

Anyway looking forward to the ineviteable PR bullshit that every NPD warrants.

MikeE21286 said:

Popular systems sell because of the entire game library, not any particular release.

This is why the 360 and PS3 vary so wildly month to month - people are largely buying them to play a specific game (say MGS4) while Wii buyers buy Wiis to play Wii games, i.e the entire library.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
And i'm guessing you didn't purchase it for those reasons. The system works.

Look, I would understand the indignation if Rock Band was to be the type of game people were speculating it to be: A one time only physical game release that would be buoyed by DLC for the rest of the gen. IF that were the case, a gimped Rock Band Wii would be inexcusable. However, this is not how it works. With it's release, the people who wanted the game could get it (and judging by NPD, did) and the ones who thought no DLC and online was too much of a dealbreaker didn't, and will wait for either Rock Band 2, World Tour, or stick with Rock Band on another system. EA gives people what they want short term, then doubles back with a full featured RB sequel.

I'd be willing to believe that if it wasn't for the other EA games I've played on Wii. A low battery warning disconnects you from online play in Madden 08, and it does it in Madden 09 too. If they're not willing to put money/effort into the Wii version of Madden, it's a safe bet we won't see it in RB2 either.

If it turns out great, then hey, terrific. But there's no reason to think it will right now.

Opiate

I want to emphasize the point Donny made, and make it more direct, because it's an important one (please let me know if this is an unfair use of your voice, Donny).

If we begin with the hypothesis that software can sell systems, how do we measure that? Simple objective answer: if it sells a lot of software, then people are buying it to use that software.

And the Wii is selling more software at this point in its lifespan than any system ever. That is a the strongest possible indication that the Wii is selling based on software.

Clinton514

DeaconKnowledge said:
Popular systems sell because of the entire game library, not any particular release.

This is why the 360 and PS3 vary so wildly month to month - people are largely buying them to play a specific game (say MGS4) while Wii buyers buy Wiis to play Wii games, i.e the entire library.
I agree with this theory BUT I cannot comprehend what exactly is so compelling about the Wii's library. Personally, I haven't purchased a single game for it since I bought the thing at launch time. I've rented and borrowed, but that's about it.

I'm not undermining the sales, just a bit confused.

fresquito

I'm sad because the good RB Wii numbers :(

Clinton514 said:
I agree with this theory BUT I cannot comprehend what exactly is so compelling about the Wii's library. Personally, I haven't purchased a single game for it since I bought the thing at launch time. I've rented and borrowed, but that's about it.

I'm not undermining the sales, just a bit confused.
One's king of himself, but not buying Galaxy, Brawl, Mario Kart, PES 2008, Metroid Prime 3 or Zack & Wiki is wrong on so many levels. SAnd still there're many very good games that are worth it (like Boom Blox or Chochobo's or Fire Emblem).

Private Hoffman said:
The 80 GB is a very popular model right now, why wouldn't it do roughly half? Given that the 40 GB stock is drying up, my ~50% estimate is probably low balling the MGS4 bundle figures.

I didn't do 100K in its debut month. Why would it go UP in month 2?

Chris R

Seems like slowly but surely the PS3 is catching up in terms of #s sold SW wise for multiplatform releases. Anyone think it will ever pass 360?

Frillen

Zophar said:
I'd believe you if it had an actual library to back this up.

Doesn't matter how the quality is. What matters is if Software sells for the Wii, and it does, to a VERY high extent.

DeaconKnowledge said:

It had a much lower supply in its debut month?

rhfb said:
Seems like slowly but surely the PS3 is catching up in terms of #s sold SW wise for multiplatform releases. Anyone think it will ever pass 360?

Counting Europe, it's very likely that it already has (at least for SCIV)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This will be the only chart I post in this thread. I'll have a full set of charts up later tonight on LC. Enjoy!

Clicky for link.

DeaconKnowledge said:

fair enough, I just don't believe the Wii's library justifies it's sales....and that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to pawn it off as fact.

So I could really care less how many consoles or how much software it sells.

Hcoregamer00 said:
WHAT THE HELL?

I thought the X360 was going to own the PS3 this month because of the price drop.

Holy Crap.
A $50 price drop on just one of your skus isn't really a significant weigh in factor. It's a fucking joke.

Opiate

Zophar said:
I'd believe you if it had an actual library to back this up.

This is exactly the point Donny was getting at. Read my above post, too. You're simply wrong: What is not compelling to you -- or me, for that matter -- is clearly compelling to many other people.

donny2112

DeaconKnowledge said:

It did 250+ in its first month. The bigger issue is how much stock was left for July, and from the on-the-ground reports, not much.

Frillen

Truespeed said:
No doubt. I'm sure it will move consoles just like GTA IV and its exclusive DLC did.

oh wait...

LBP will move lots of PS3s right? I'm sure you agree with me. (except I don't think LBP will actually do that).

Clinton514

PantherLotus said:
This will be the only chart I post in this thread. I'll have a full set of charts up later tonight on LC. Enjoy!

Clicky for link.
[URL="http://lotuscharts.blogspot.com/2008/08/npd-july-2008-results.html[/URL]
Charts are pretty. Thanks for the link.

nib95

Banned
rhfb said:

I think it already is on a WW basis. But if you mean NA only, doubt it will for a while. But I think it will eventually.

Top Bottom