• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Clinton514

Hcoregamer00 said:
For those of you who are dismissing X360 at the moment, remember that there are rumors of a price drop across all SKU's that will bring the Arcade SKU to $200. Not only that, they are releasing a sequel to one of the biggest 360 franchises.

The 360 may be down for the moment, but the HD battle will get far more intense come Fall. There will be blood, tears, and lots of people getting banned.
So I guess this is the new pro-MS saying. Just like last year was "Just wait" for the pro-PS3 folks? :\

Fall.

Jag22

Banned
Soka said:
Nintendo just makes everything else look pitiful, hardware-wise. 360 + PS3 = 430K... Wii = 555K, a difference of 125K.
Nintendo's hardware sales does make the HD consoles look pitful. But the HD console's game lineups make the Wii look pitiful

So I guess it all works out in the end?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MGS4 not in the top 10 ^_^. Quite a bit more delicious then GTAIV not in the top 10 the following month. God Bless the Hype Bubbles!!!:lol

But some times, Something great actually happens. Civ Rev making the top 10. Even if its not an all too impressive number. I love the fact it did it

LCfiner

Oh crap. I forgot it was NPDs today.

I'm a little surprised by the low 360 numbers considering the price drop. If they had stayed at 350, I would have considered it normal.

And Mama Robotnik makes the thread completely worthwhile.

Guy Legend

Memo to Sony: customers want a fully featured PS3 (one with BC). Consumers continue to buy the 80gb MGS4 bundle, which is driving sales up.

As for MGS4, people need to keep in mind that it is a bundled game. All those sales with the hardware are not reflected in NPD.

duk

Banned
LCfiner said:
Oh crap. I forgot it was NPDs today.

I'm a little surprised by the low 360 numbers considering the price drop. If they had stayed at 350, I would have considered it normal.

And Mama Robotnik makes the thread completely worthwhile.

it was a price drop on one sku, it's not going to turn the world on its side

Anyone think the PS3 will drop in price? I know there's rumors of a 360 drop. Would that put enough pressure on Sony to do the same (there's some Sony rumors too IIRC)? I also know this year is supposed to be about profitability for Sony, but haven't they already accomplished that? It wouldn't make sense to let the Holiday season slip by because the 360 gets a drop in price while the PS3 doesn't.

Loudninja

Guy Legend said:
Memo to Sony: customers want a fully featured PS3 (one with BC). Consumers continue to buy the 80gb MGS4 bundle, which is driving sales up.

As for MGS4, people need to keep in mind that it is a bundled game. All those sales with the hardware are not reflected in NPD.

People also forget numbers do exist outside the top 10

Guy Legend said:
It's not like The bundled hadware sales were even that much to begin with though....

Clinton514 said:
So I guess this is the new pro-MS saying. Just like last year was "Just wait" for the pro-PS3 folks? :\

Fall.
Maybe it's just a decent observation made by a forum member, without any hidden agenda's. Normally the sad "just wait" posts are about consoles that are in really really deep shit, irreversibly. I wouldn't call the 360s situation just there yet.

Clinton514 said:
I agree with this theory BUT I cannot comprehend what exactly is so compelling about the Wii's library. Personally, I haven't purchased a single game for it since I bought the thing at launch time. I've rented and borrowed, but that's about it.

I'm not undermining the sales, just a bit confused.

Uh, what? Are you just ignoring the Wii's great games or something?

You honestly though that Mario Galaxy, Brawl, Metroid Prime 3 Boom Blox, Okami, No More Heroes, Mario Kart Wii, Zack and Wiki, or Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, to mention a few, weren't worth buying?

Christ. Why did you even buy the system?

Vdragoon

donny2112 said:
apr2008.gif

great graph!~ :lol :lol:lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
donny2112 said:
I get that sense, too. Microsoft has stood pat too long, and is now going to have to work that much harder to get any momentum going again.

Their lineup in the fall and winter is going to be great. They should have been more proactive during these months.

Grecco

Guy Legend said:

So i guess thats, what 11 million for Wii Sports then?

RBH

Nintendo
Has pretty much nothing to worry about at this point. Even with the relatively anemic release schedule for the rest of the year, the Wii and DS should be sitting pretty on top for the rest of this year
or the rest of this gen.
itprintsmoney.gif

Sony
Will probably do a bundle w/ the 80GB this holiday season (similar to packing in Spiderman 3 w/ the 40GB last year). If it comes out before the end of the year, a Dark Knight PS3 bundle would be really hot. I'm more expecting a game to be bundled w/ the system though. Sony should be relatively pleased with their numbers this year in the US in comparison to last year's terrible numbers.

Microsoft
Might be getting closer to pulling the trigger on that price drop in the fall. I don't think they're pleased that the price drop on the 20GB had pretty much no effect at all. August might not be that much better w/ the 20GB stock starting to dwindle. The real interesting thing to watch out for will be the significance of the $199 Arcade. That may be one of the deciding factors that determines whether the 360 will outsell the PS3 this holiday season in the U.S.

Guy Legend

Revelations said:
It's not like The bundled hadware sales were even that much to begin with though....

I believe the NPD said last month that if you include bundled sales, the game has already "sold" a million units in June.

mintylurb

shintoki said:
MGS4 not in the top 10 ^_^. Quite a bit more delicious then GTAIV not in the top 10 the following month. God Bless the Hype Bubbles!!!:lol
Yay, ps3 exclusive game not in the top 10!! banzai!!

Agent Icebeezy said:
Their lineup in the fall and winter is going to be great. They should have been more proactive during these months.
Why? They lost a little ground this year with the PS3 selling what? 300-350k consoles more in the US thus far for a 8-7 month period and suddenly people are saying 360 is doomed. All the while the PS3 release a MAJOR game this year and only manges to move a few thousand systems collectively and drop out of sight for its second month of release but everything is ok with that as long as they sold 20k more than the 360... :lol

Right...

LCfiner

duk said:
it was a price drop on one sku, it's not going to turn the world on its side

I'm not suggesting it would. To put numbers on it, i was thinking more toward ~250K, as opposed to 205K. Nothing major, just a bump.

Mar

Opiate said:
This is easily the slowest NPD thread since I began reading GAF some 9 months ago.

It has been a good while since all 3 consoles were released. Only the most hardcore fans of their preferred soul-less multi national corporation still care about which one is gladly taking more of our dollars.

Ptaaty

RBH said:
Nintendo
Has pretty much nothing to worry about at this point. Even with the relatively anemic release schedule for the rest of the year, the Wii and DS should be sitting pretty on top for the rest of this year
or the rest of this gen.
itprintsmoney.gif

And this is what is wrong with the world and why I dislike the Wii. I have one, have some games, like them OK.

But people buy Wiis for no good reason. If they continued to have strong releases, no big deal different strokes for different folks...but to have just piss poor crap coming up and blow everything away.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Clinton514 said:

Fall.

You clearly don't know my console bias if you declare me a "Pro-MS" fan.

_Alkaline_ said:
Uh, what? Are you just ignoring the Wii's great games or something?

You honestly though that Mario Galaxy, Brawl, Metroid Prime 3 Boom Blox, Okami, No More Heroes, Mario Kart Wii, Zack and Wiki, or Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, to mention a few, weren't worth buying?

Christ. Why did you even buy the system?
The recent support of TTG has made it awesome. All hail Strong Bad. Can't wait for S&M and Wallace and Gromit.

GH:OT is blowing my expectations. I bet we see Guitar Hero: World Tour Wii hang around for months.

Ptaaty said:
And this is what is wrong with the world and why I dislike the Wii. I have one, have some games, like them OK.

But people buy Wiis for no good reason. If they continued to have strong releases, no big deal different strokes for different folks...but to have just piss poor crap coming up and blow everything away.

**holds up a mirror**

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ptaaty said:

Posts like this make me very happy the Wii is "winning".

duk

Banned
gtj1092 said:
So the PRO isn't the most supplied and popular SKU now?:lol

i believe 20gb sku was stopped manufacturing a few months ago, clearing out the chanel, i havent seen one in stores the last 2 weeks

Microsoft's only concern as far as hardware sales is that they keep pace with PS3 enough to stay overhead worldwide. 20K differences here and there ain't doing shit, especially when the 360 is killing the PS3 in software sales.

Game-Biz

Ptaaty said:

Hey, dude. Wii Sports helped my friend get laid. Really. And with any luck, Wii Music is going to get me some action this fall.

Frillen

I predict the MGS4 PS3 bundle sold somewhere between 20k-40k in July. In other words, insignificant to total MGS4 sales and July sales. But Sony fans, please continue with the bundle spin, it's hilarious to watch.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Revelations said:
Why? They lost a little ground this year with the PS3 selling what? 300-350k consoles more in the US thus far for a 8-7 month period and suddenly people are saying 360 is doomed. All the while the PS3 release a MAJOR game this year and only manges to move a few thousand systems collectively and drop out of sight for its second month of release but everything is ok with that as long as they sold 20k more than the 360... :lol

Right...

I'm not saying that the 360 is doomed. I'm saying that they need to be more proactive. I've seen Microsoft back in the media with the NCAA commercials and Madden commercials. September should be a good month. Price drop with Fable 2 for starters.

a lot of people seem to think that the pricedrop next month is going to help microsoft, but i'm not so sure. the arcade is already fairly cheap, yet no one seems to want one. i think that there's more people out there that realize it is the 'gimped' version than we at neogaf assume.

secondly, if 20GB 360's at $300 didn't fly off of shelves, what makes anyone think that 60GB 360's at $300 are going to fly off of shelves? i don't think there's a huge difference to the average consumer there. i do realize that the holidays are coming up and, naturally, sales will improve, but I think what microsoft really needs is a premium model with a hard drive (whether it be 20GB, 60GB, or whatever...) at $250. i could be totally wrong, but i do not believe a sub-$200 arcade pack is what is going to allow them to penetrate the mass market.

Gaborn

Ptaaty said:

This is the crux of the problem with this line of thinking. Gamers aren't necessarily buying the Wii for their NEW games (well, some are obviously) they're buying them for their already released quality games. Take for example MHP2G in Japan, it's been out for a long while but it's still selling well, if you release a "must have" game then people will continue to join the party to buy them. The 360 and PS3 both have very solid lineups of games, but they haven't yet found that "hook" game that the Wii has, and the Wii has several of them that are driving sales of the console, and one happens to be bundled with the console.

Edit - Just to clarify, I was using 2G (which is obviously for PSP) as an example of a game driving hardware that doesn't require it to be new, I wasn't implying it's for Wii.

Guy Legend

Cool Hand Luke said:
Microsoft really need to drop the price this september. They would probably be better of if they killed the elite too.

Good thing their sales are down. They've been so conservative with their pricing this generation, though that's mostly because of the PS3's high price and the XB360's performance against it last year.

But now they should be feeling the pressure to bring the price down and they will in early September. A $299 hard drive sku was long over due prior to the 20gb price drop and incoming 60gb price drop. I'd like to see it go even cheaper than that....

The $199 arcade will be interesting, especially since it will be $50 cheaper than the Wii. As for the Elite, it does look like a worse value now that the 60gb system is here, but they also include 2 games with it. Regardless, I don't think it's worth $100 more than the pro by any standards.

WrikaWrek said:
Meh, for what. 360 is done, they needed something this summer and they didn't have shit.

Bail out
you know you can say the same about sony for the fall & christmas. what will they to combat netflix? gears? and a price drop? and new LIVE? NOTHING. and during the busiest time of the year. WHEN IT COUNTS. sony blew their load too early. bail out. :lol

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm not saying that the 360 is doomed. I'm saying that they need to be more proactive. I've seen Microsoft back in the media with the NCAA commercials and Madden commercials. September should be a good month. Price drop with Fable 2 for starters.

It was basically a synopsis of the dribble in this thread. Lets all forget the fact that the PS3 really hasn't made any big strides in selling over the 360 even with a supposedly massive title like MGS4. The best it can do is 20k over, even with a big title. Thats all I'm sayin.

Sounds to me like MGS4 would have made a better dent if released in November-December time.

Slurmer

Banned
Frillen said:
I predict the MGS4 PS3 bundle sold somewhere between 20k-40k in July. In other words, insignificant to total MGS4 sales and July sales. But Sony fans, please continue with the bundle spin, it's hilarious to watch.

I just asked a question :\

MobiusPigeon said:
you know you can say the same about sony for the fall & christmas. what will they to combat netflix? gears? and a price drop? and new LIVE? NOTHING. and during the busiest time of the year. WHEN IT COUNTS. sony blew their load too early. bail out. :lol
(neutral) MobiusPigeon
Feel free to safely ignore my opinions on anything Sony-related. Thank you!
(Today, 08:32 PM)
Reply | Quote

Top Bottom