• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Clinton514 said:
I agree with this theory BUT I cannot comprehend what exactly is so compelling about the Wii's library. Personally, I haven't purchased a single game for it since I bought the thing at launch time. I've rented and borrowed, but that's about it.

I'm not undermining the sales, just a bit confused.

Well I have 32 games for it, so who's right and who's wrong here? I don't understand why Country is so popular, but I acknowledge that people like it (and that what I like isn't always best or popular). People's tastes differ.

MikeE21286 said:
fair enough, I just don't believe the Wii's library justifies it's sales....and that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to pawn it off as fact.

So I could really care less how many consoles or how much software it sells.

I agree with your opinion but you did say that "we all know" that the Wii doesn't sell because of its software.

Culex

Banned
I'm actually surprised the Wii sold as much as it did, considering we're in the slow summer months.

Statistically, are numbers for August slower than that of July's?

Kusagari said:
How is 360 still behind PS3? Seriously, that's gotta be freaking MS out a little.
Can I spin these numbers? Haven't done that in a while.

Anyone that was going to buy a 360 at the $299 or higher pricepoint has done so already.

We no longer pick up boosts from people buying new consoles to replace their defective units due to hardware reliability being improved (on par w/ PS3 at any rate).

The real system mover will be the Arcade once it's positioned at the $199 pricepoint next month.

The Metal Gear bump has passed and Sony is only picking up sales from BluRay enthusiasts and people who already own an X360 and want to own everything.

$299 60GB X360 Pro (bundled w/ GTAIV + Pre-Loaded Exclusive GTAIV DLC + 3 Months of XBL) = WIN

GEARS 2 = WIN

THIRD-PARTY SALES = WIN

How does that look? :lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
gtj1092 said:
Reaching back to last months NPDd...does NCAA selling better on PS360 than Wii mean mutliplatform titles sell better on HD consoles since lego indiana jones selling best on Wii last month somehow signaled that Wii was the king of multiplatform games?

Or maybe it just means certain games/genres sell better when in line with the demographics of the console they are selling the game on?

<---------------waits for the spin.

NCAA Ps3/360 about 83% rating on gamerankings
NCAA wii about 50% on gamerankings

lego indiana jones wii, ps3/360 all about 78%

Quality is of course not the only factor, but Im sure it matters........

gtj1092

chuckddd said:
Oddly enough, I just went to Best Buy. (the one on the west side of Abq, if you're wondering) They had a stack of 20GB models next to a stack of 60GB models. Then I went around the corner to see if they had any PS3's or wii's, and lo and behold, another stack of 20GB's.

Yeah my bestbuy here in natick/framingham has stacks of them so does walmart. Of course no Wii or 40GB but there were 2 MGS4 bundles left between the two stores.

PantherLotus said:
This will be the only chart I post in this thread. I'll have a full set of charts up later tonight on LC. Enjoy!

Clicky for link.
I think there's something wrong with the chart. The pie pieces look OK, but the market share percentages seem to be wrong (for 360, PS3 and PSP).

Edit: beaten obviously, this is an NPD thread after all. :)

EazyB

Banned
Wow at the PS3 continuing to outsell the 360 with the current price difference. I guess this kills the chance of a nice PS3 price drop in time for LBP :(

Narcosis

I'm not quite sure I understand Panther Lotus's chart, specifically the percentages in comparison to number of units, because the numbers don't seem to mesh (PSP at 35% and pS3 at 5% with an almost equal # of units?)

Rancid Mildew said:
I agree with your opinion but you did say that "we all know" that the Wii doesn't sell because of its software.

I did......I figured more people felt the same way I did....guess I was mistaken

Frillen

Narcosis said:
I'm not quite sure I understand Panther Lotus's chart, specifically the percentages in comparison to number of units, because the numbers don't seem to mesh (PSP at 35% and pS3 at 5% with an almost equal # of units?)

You don't say.

Culex said:
I'm actually surprised the Wii sold as much as it did, considering we're in the slow summer months.

Statistically, are numbers for August slower than that of July's?
Shouldn't surprise you that much. "Slow months" don't seem to apply for the Wii. :)

SUPREME1

Banned
Admittedly I haven't been fopllowing the NPD threads all year, but what are the chances that a lot of these PS3s are being purchased by existing 360 owners?

What's are the overall sold since launch totals?

Is it still Wii>360>PS3

If so, how big i(or small) s the cusion between 2nd and 3rd?

Is M$ like "oh no they're about to pass us!" or more like "*sigh* what's going on, we're just cruising now? I see PS3 gaining off in the distance."

Anyhow, I have both... had the 360 waaay before. This is the reason I ask.

F*cking Blu-ray might be showing it's worth still.

jimbo

Banned
Kusagari said:
How is 360 still behind PS3? Seriously, that's gotta be freaking MS out a little.

Yes, at this rate the PS3 will catch the 360 in just 2 Decades in the US. MS better enter PANIC MODE soon.

Ysiadmihi said:
I'd be willing to believe that if it wasn't for the other EA games I've played on Wii. A low battery warning disconnects you from online play in Madden 08, and it does it in Madden 09 too. If they're not willing to put money/effort into the Wii version of Madden, it's a safe bet we won't see it in RB2 either.

If it turns out great, then hey, terrific. But there's no reason to think it will right now.

*Shrug* Madden has its problems, but I don't think lack of effort on EAs part is one of them. They want it to succeed.

Also, Madden is a bad comparison, because EA has a complete monopoly on the Sports sim football sub-genre. They are afforded no such luxury with Rock Band.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
jimbo said:
Yes, at this rate the PS3 will catch the 360 in just 2 Decades in the US. MS better enter PANIC MODE soon.
20GBs will be on clearance for the next 2 decades? I knew they stuffed the channels, but that is a bit much.

donny2112

ImperialConquest said:
What's are the overall sold since launch totals?

Is it still Wii>360>PS3

If so, how big i(or small) s the cusion between 2nd and 3rd?

From page 3:

ICallItFutile said:
YTD in US:

DS 3.795 mil
PSP 1.704 mil
360 1.546 mil
PS3 1.833 mil
Wii 4.038 mil

LTD in US:

DS 21.385 mil
PSP 12.216 mil
360 10.67 mil
PS3 5.081 mil
Wii 11.407 mil

LTDs are close enough.

Sage00 said:
20GBs will be on clearance for the next 2 decades? I knew they stuffed the channels, but that is a bit much.

Arcade will be $279 for the next 2 decades?

Things will change drastically on both sides, we both know that.

oooo Wonderful NPD. Too bad there's nothing really official like this in the EU. Too bad it doesn't count Walmart either.

Surprising #'s all around. I too thought the 360 would do better. I didn't expect tons from the mini price drop, but I did expect it to help a little more than it did.

Can't wait to see what the holidays look like.
Probably more Wii domination

Truespeed

Brimstone said:
People buy a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player...and those that own both a 360 & PS3 will tend to choose a 360 version of a game because of friends on Xbox LIVE.

If it makes you feel any better, the PS3 was also supply constrained. I guess people really wanted to play Blu-ray movies last month.

Another month of NPD, another month of Nintendomination.

The DS numbers are just insane. Barely anything released this month and it still managed to pull over 600K, which is even more amazing due to the fact that this is normally the slowest period of the year for console sales. This system will be a freak come the holiday months.

And then of course you have its partner in crime, the Wii. It may have gone down in raw figures but it apparently went up in weekly figures, indicating that the popularity of the console is still rising. Like DS, but to an even greater extreme, Wii had no major releases this month (actually, did they have any at all? Christ, all I can think of is Chocobo and that's not exactly going to demand much attention) yet still manages to obliterate the competition, one of which had a price drop, the other coming back off a month of its biggest game so far this generation (MGS4), and both also having a significant release in Soul Calibur, outselling them combined by 125K. Incredible.

Which brings me to the PS3 and 360. I'm pretty amazed that the 360 managed to sell lessp/i] than the PS3, despite having the price drop. Granted the drop wasn't really that significant, but it still shows that a low price is certainly not the only thing you need in today's market to sell well. There seems to be a stagnating (or even dwindling) interest in Microsoft's machine, whereas the popularity of the PS3 is slowly increasing. The holiday season should be really interesting to see which console has the upper hand.

Solid numbers from the PSP but clearly its surge in Japan hasn't be replicated anywhere else, really struggling in Europe and nearly 400K behind its competitor the DS in the US.

As for software, solid sales for NCAA 360. Heh, 397K last year and the exact same this year. Obviously sales of Madden will be the best on 360, if last year and NCAA is any indication, but the PS3 version's sales were also solid at 250K given the much lower installbase. No Wii version to be seen but I'm not surprised, the Wii version looked like absolute trash and given the football market is very much attached to the HD systems, there was no real appeal to the Wii version. I expect Madden Wii to sell quite a lot better but still be beaten by the 360/PS3 for that game.

Like I expected, Wii Fit maintains its legs and produces another very good month. As we saw, it didn't explode in the charts during its debut month, but this is the type of game that will keep selling and selling and selling, as already shown by its constant 1st places in Europe 3 months are its release, and its fantastic legs in Japan. Seriously, even in the holiday months this game will still be near the top.

Guitar Hero: On Tour's sales are very, very good and Activison would be absolutely thrilled. This a very good follow-up number to an already impressive debut. Factor in that it's selling very well in Europe as well, and the WW LTD would be nothing to sneeze at already. People had some doubt as to how well a portable GH game would sell, especially with an unconventional peripheral, but sales clearly show that it works.

Mario Kart Wii's sales are very, very strong and I expect it to sell well for at least a couple more months yet. Like Wii Fit, Mario Kart's casual appeal helps it maintains evergreen sales months after its release. Which brings me to the exact opposite - MGS4. Gee, not sure what happened here. A fantastic debut, yet the next month it falls completely out of the top 10 in a month when the only significant release was Soul Calibur. This is strange because this trend is not fully reflected in Europe, where MGS4 is still holding up well in the top 10 lists and is only now starting to slip down. Of course, I bet MGS4 is sitting at 11the place of something, but it's still odd and disappointing.

I hate seeing Rock Band Wii sell well, but it goes to show that music games are right at home on Wii and Guitar Hero: Word Tour is just going to pull insane numbers.

Strong debut for Soul Calibur. Not sure where that 2 million figure came from though, since Europe's numbers aren't going to be a big part of that, it only did decently in Japan and these NPD numbers aren't over a million or anything. Must be a shipped figure. Still, Namco would be happy with how the game is travelling so far, for sure.

Overall an interesting NPD. I thought 360 would at least beat the PS3, but it only scrapped past 200K despite the price drop. I also thought MGS4 would hold a stronger presence but to fall out of the top 10 caught me off guard. DS and Wii continue their domination, even if important releases for both systems have been few and far between for the past couple of months, showing the extraordinary popularity of both systems.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The Wii version of NCAA was a joke and scored horribly. I'm glad to see it bomb. College football games have always been for the hardcore audience so either target for them and make it good or don't do it at all.

Gaborn

Fenderputty said:
oooo Wonderful NPD. Too bad there's nothing really official like this in the EU. Too bad it doesn't count Walmart either.

Surprising #'s all around. I too thought the 360 would do better. I didn't expect tons from the mini price drop, but I did expect it to help a little more than it did.

Can't wait to see what the holidays look like.
Probably more Wii domination

Just because I feel compelled to point this out, Walmart is included as a an algorithmic projection so sales are there, they're just estimates mostly based on the rest of the market and other data.

Edit - Beaten by donny.

Zophar said:
I'd believe you if it had an actual library to back this up.

1zxwlmh.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yeah--that was the leftover MC % stuff. Fixed and updated. The quoted chart should show the correct %'s now. Thanks for the quick eyes!

Like I said earlier, a full set of charts will be up later tonight. I'd do them now but it's Taco-Bell-Thursdays. Large Pepsi, NPD Charts, and MC Charts IN ONE NIGHT?!!?! OH FUCK YES!

Thanks guys for all the support over at LC. Amazing response so far.

EazyB said:
Wow at the PS3 continuing to outsell the 360 with the current price difference. I guess this kills the chance of a nice PS3 price drop in time for LBP :(
We are talking double digits here all year...what does it equal to? Like 400k thus far in the US? Not really a significant margin.

Gaborn said:
Just because I feel compelled to point this out, Walmart is included as a an algorithmic projection so sales are there, they're just estimates mostly based on the rest of the market and other data.

Edit - Beaten by donny.

Even if you were beaten, I was educated by your post. :lol

Offical numbers for EU would still be nice then

Culex said:
I'm looking forward to what the Wii will actually sell in December, with shipments at full force. Last year was just bad.
As things are going now, I actually doubt the shipments will be in full force these holidays. Remember, the Wii will need to get some extra stock everywhere, not just the USA. I'm sure the USA will get a good chunk of the extra pie, but I'm sure it won't be enough to actually meet demand. It'll still be just the number Nintendo shipped.

I think it'll be normal number + 500k. So something like 1.2 million Wii's in November and December. Just my guess though. :)

donny2112

_Alkaline_ said:
There seems to be a stagnating (or even dwindling) interest in Microsoft's machine, whereas the popularity of the PS3 is slowly increasing.

I get that sense, too. Microsoft has stood pat too long, and is now going to have to work that much harder to get any momentum going again.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
For those of you who are dismissing X360 at the moment, remember that there are rumors of a price drop across all SKU's that will bring the Arcade SKU to $200. Not only that, they are releasing a sequel to one of the biggest 360 franchises.

The 360 may be down for the moment, but the HD battle will get far more intense come Fall. There will be blood, tears, and lots of people getting banned.

Cool Hand Luke said:
Microsoft really need to drop the price this september. They would probably be better of if they killed the elite too.
Why? I mean really, besides more consumers, what has MS got to loose? The 360 has dropped $50 since launch despite numerous opportunities to do so since then. I think its pretty obvious that MS simply doesnt care about install base as much as they care about revenue.

Gaborn

donny2112 said:
Sorry. I need to stop following the thread and catch up on other stuff. :lol

Hey it's your job to keep better track of this stuff than most of the thread:lol

Fenderputty - awesome :D

CoG

donny2112 said:
I get that sense, too. Microsoft has stood pat too long, and is now going to have to work that much harder to get any momentum going again.

The general public knows the 360 for Halo. No Halo, little interest. Gears2 will give it a bump but not as big as Halo4 could.

donny2112 said:
PS3 has had a major release within the last 4 months. 360 not so much. And a real price drop will happen soon enough to get the ball rolling again.

Top Bottom