• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

dammitmattt said:
Um, white elephant in the room.

METAL GEAR SOLID 4

Also, NCAA 360 will be #1 in July and Madden 360 will be #1 in August. What kind of fantasy world are you living in?
I agree with the last two... but you're saying MGS4 will be the top-selling game in June? Really? Across all systems?

FrankT

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The scary thing about this year is that I really think that MS intends to go into Christmas with the Elite at $399, Premium at $299, and Arcade at $250, with none of their peripheral/service prices dropping.

$100 price drop in 3 years, with the more expensive SKU being at the launch price. :/

The premium needs to be at $199 at this point, but since that definitely isn't going to happen, MS at least needs the splash of a $100 slash - $250 or bust by the end of August.

Even at those price it will sell gangbusters. The last two holidays seasons have been pure gold for the system I see no reason that would not be the case this year as well particularly even with the software offering during the time frame. My nephew is itching to get one and Christmas will certainly be it. The elite will not fare well at that price, but a $299 premium will do well. I do agree however it would be nice to have them lower. Those price points may get muddied a bit however if they put in a BD and I have feeling they very well may and I hope not at the cost of price drop because then MS would deserve a nice kick in the pants or maybe that will be there new Elite offering then eh.

sneaky77

Ariexv said:
Huh? 2010 wouldn't be early..... the average console lifespan has always been about 5 years and 2010 would put the Xbox 360 right at that mark.

it would be early imo.

they have no need to rush it this time.

Clinton514

Slavik81 said:
Next-gen should be interesting. Maybe we'll see Sony and Microsoft re-think their strategy.
It would be nice to see PC and console gaming more differentiated again.
I'm curious about such comments. What is it exactly that they need to rethink? I don't want to see titles similar to top selling Wii titles on my PS3 or 360. Or are you talking peripherals?

spwolf

Agent Icebeezy said:
Of course it is, it has to be. They were showing 85 dollar gains on the HDD at launch. They have also acknowledged that the mainstream price to take off at is $199 because 80%+ of PS2 sales were done at that time. It's nice that they are getting all of these games from developers. They have exceeded my expectations in that regard. They should reward these companies with some price drops so that they can sell these games.

you know, it is not as if sony is making billions off PS3... if they could, they would drop the price asap...

sneaky77

dammitmattt said:
I just don't understand it. It's a very short-sighted way of looking at the situation. I would imagine that the user base gains and all that come along with it (accessory sales, game sales, XBL Gold, XBLM) would be more than worth the lost revenues from a $50-100 price drop in the long run.

No is not.. the goal is to make $$ and maximize profits and that's the wave they are riding till the fall. Thats when I expect them to slash the price

sneaky77

B-Rad Lascelle said:
I agree with the last two... but you're saying MGS4 will be the top-selling game in June? Really? Across all systems?

has MGS ever been that big a seller? there are 2 gh games coming out in june i expect those to do well

bill0527

At this point, I can only conclude that Microsoft cares more about profitability than winning any contest.

Their margins must still be rather slim on the 360 to only bother with a $50 price drop in 2 1/2 years.

Frillen

sneaky77 said:
has MGS ever been that big a seller? there are 2 gh games coming out in june i expect those to do well

They will undoubtly sell well, but I seriously doubt that a version of GT Aerosmith or GT On Tour will outsell MGS4.

bill0527 said:
At this point, I can only conclude that Microsoft cares more about profitability than winning any contest.

Their margins must still be rather slim on the 360 to only bother with a $50 price drop in 2 1/2 years.
And only the console fanboys can blame them. Look at what Nintendo did with itself after focusing on profitability for oh...about 100 years. :lol

FrankT

wowfactor said:
GTA4's sales number will be bad. The game is boring.

4.2 million in the US. Best selling game of the year to date in the US? 10s across the board or pure hype? Sales are far from "bad".

Mrbob

wowfactor said:

You might want to look at those numbers again.

GTA4 numbers held up really well on both platforms.

While I agree the game could have been much better it is a massive sales success at retail. Selling faster than the PS2 version did in October/November/December. Of course sales are on two platforms versus one but GTA4 is selling quicker than the previous games.

farnham said:
i hope the recent we ski numbers mean

1. SSX Blur 2 with Balance Board Support
2. Skate It actually having decent balance board controls
3. Shaun White actually being good

having GOTY 2006 and GOTY 2007 is not shameful really

Twilight Princess was a holdover from a far cheaper system. Super Mario Galaxy was indeed a great original game for Wii, but it and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are the exceptions rather than the rule, whereas for Xbox 360, there are so many great games that I could hardly find time to play them all.

edit:
wowfactor said:

This post truly has that wow factor.

wowfactor

Banned
Mrbob said:
You might want to look at those numbers again.

GTA4 numbers held up really well on both platforms.

While I agree the game could have been much better it is a massive sales success at retail. Selling faster than the PS2 version did in October/November/December. Of course sales are on two platforms versus one but GTA4 is selling quicker than the previous games.

Do you have the figures?
What is the drop rate?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mrbob said:
PS3 has won the HD wars. 10 year lifecycle ftw.

Hillary, It would take 21 years for the PS3 to outsell the 360 in North America at the current rate.

Clinton514 said:
I'm curious about such comments. What is it exactly that they need to rethink? I don't want to see titles similar to top selling Wii titles on my PS3 or 360. Or are you talking peripherals?

What he's saying is that what you want to see on your PS3 and 360 is not what's making companies money.

Frillen said:
The original poster was talking about June alone and so was I ;)

Says GH3 Wii still in top 10 after around 6 months.

Activision has been pimpin out GH:Aerosmith for months, it will be on systems that have a higher install base than PS3. I would not be surprised to see GH:Aerosmith outsell MGS4.

Olaeh

Frillen said:
wiicomic33.jpg

Nice. Wasn't there another one of these floating around? Something about PS360 only getting Wii's scraps.

Sony PR said:
* Year-to-date (Jan-May), the PlayStation brand generated close to $2.27 billion in revenue, 46 percent higher than Microsoft, and representing an increase of more than 17 percent year-over-year.
* PlayStation total hardware revenue was $133 million in May, 98 percent higher than Microsoft, and representing a year-over-year growth of over 20.4 percent.

Beautiful PR spin here by lumping in PSP/Ps2/ps3 to paint an impressive gap btwn the playstation business vs. the 360.

360 in need of a price drop. Expecting to see one announced at E3 to capitalize on a potential Madden bump.

Narcosis

You people who are quoting these damn megasized .gifs over and over and over need to die and burn in a fiery pit of hell with Satan probing your colons with a pitchfork.

Anyways....

WTF Nintendo? Only sub-700K during the WiiFit launch? Biggest Nintendo launch of the year and they don't divert supply to go above the 600K range?
Was WiiFit shipped with an amount they figured a hardware ramp up wouldn't be necessary or is the theory that they're withholding US supply due to a weaker dollar true? I figured 800-900K was totally feasible..

PS3 beats 360 by roughly 20K!? Damn, considering the only PS3 on the market was the gimped BC 40 gig, that's not a good sign for 360.

Everything else seems par for the course.

Cipherr

Clinton514 said:

How about the price and broadened appeal? That would do wonders for both of them next gen. Get the fracking entry price down. The PS2 and PS1 had it soooo right man. Decent power, Decent price, Wide appeal.

Frillen

mysticstylez said:
Says GH3 Wii still in top 10 after around 6 months.

Activision has been pimpin out GH:Aerosmith for months, it will be on systems that have a higher install base than PS3. I would not be surprised to see GH:Aerosmith outsell MGS4.

Meh, I still doubt it. What version of GH:A do you think can outsell MGS4? Wii version?

Pachinko

Eh, it's a simple solution- the 360 has hit it's peak at the current price point with it's current slate of software. Drop a 100 bucks off from every SKU release a new wave of budget games and start advertising it and it'll sell. The thing I wonder though , is MS even manufacturing more then 200K a month for north america ? I don't see THAT many of them lying around and I recall a few months ago 1 of their 3 plants shutdown in china. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks if they are supply constrained to any extent, it's intentional to sell out of this older stock so when they launch the rumoured bluray capable sku later this year with a cooler running MOBO they'll have them out in spades.

Nintendo should have launched the WII at 300 dollars , I really think they'd still be selling as many and look how much more money they'd have banked. I think even a 200 dollar 360 would be outsold by the wii at it's current price.

The PS3 , well it was bound to get some growth compared to last month, a few thousand more people wanted a bluray player, some read about MGS4 coming out and didn't care to get the bundle deal. I suspect june will be a 350-400K month for PS3 because of that bundle while the 360 will continue to linger at 200K.

Narcosis said:
Anyways....

WTF Nintendo? Only sub-700K during the WiiFit launch? Biggest Nintendo launch of the year and they don't divert supply to go above the 600K range?
Was WiiFit shipped with an amount they figured a hardware ramp up wouldn't be necessary or is the theory that they're withholding US supply due to a weaker dollar true? I figured 800-900K was totally feasible..

The reason for Wii Fit selling less than 700k it's first month is the same reason that the Wii is still hard to find. Nintendo is smart at this shit.

What is the price point that the PS3 or 360 could actually compete with the Wii?

$175-199 and they're still down 150k p/month to the Wii, IMO.

DiddyBop

Magik said:
I'm baffled as to how Iron Man on the PS2 made it in the top ten.

Nice numbers for Nintendo. :lol

millions of kids saw iron manand kids have a tendancy to want everything associated with superheroes,that means action figures and videogames. there are 40 million ps2s in NA so its no surprise that the ps2 version of the game shows up in the top ten. it really isnt that hard to comprehend.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
Hillary, It would take 21 years for the PS3 to outsell the 360 in North America at the current rate.

What he's saying is that what you want to see on your PS3 and 360 is not what's making companies money.

If not longer or did someone actually do the numbers? 21 years heh. Anyhow, remember this Bob however, Bob Bioshock is gonna do maybe 200k first month, heh.

Crazyorloco

Go Wii! and DS! It's amazing how well they are selling. Wii fit selling well. Smash Bros Brawl and GH3 have serious legs. I haven't jumped in the Guitar Hero mania yet, i'm waiting for GH4.

I'm curious to see how PS3 hardware numbers are next month, especially with MGS4 out. I'm not sure if we'll see a significant boost in hardware. MGS4 REALLY makes me want a PS3.

*waits for MGS4 for Xbox 360 announcement*

P.S. PandaRolling.gif and the Sony PR this month are hilarious. :lol

NBA finals on...must get off Gaf. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Narcosis said:
You people who are quoting these damn megasized .gifs over and over and over need to die and burn in a fiery pit of hell with Satan probing your colons with a pitchfork.
I miss the old days of GAF when images would be automatically changed to url links when they were quoted.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Narcosis said:

GTA4: 2 million, 1 million, 500k, 300k, 100k, 100k, 100k, 100k...
Wii Fit: 600k, 400k, 400k, 400k, 400k, 400k, 400k...

Why should anyone, Nintendo or otherwise, care about the WiiFit launch allocation? Their strategy is to have this thing sell for years or at least many months to come, like Wii Play, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Only on GAF can people be disappointed that the Wii sold 600k+ in freakin' May. I'm pretty sure that even at its peak the PS2 wasn't selling that much in a non-holiday period.

I know expectations are high but you have to be impressed with its consistency.

Stumpokapow said:

What? Please clarify.
Also, do you like casual games because you enjoy them, or because they make Nintendo money?

Odysseus

Banned
Dupy said:
Only on GAF can people be disappointed that the Wii sold 600k+ in freakin' May. I'm pretty sure that even at its peak the PS2 wasn't selling that much in a non-holiday period.

I know expectations are high but you have to be impressed with its consistency.

the highest may i have on record for ps2 is ~524k in 2002, the month they dropped to $199 (from $299)

jts

...hate me...
gregor7777 said:
What is the price point that the PS3 or 360 could actually compete with the Wii?

$175-199 and they're still down 150k p/month to the Wii, IMO.
Sometimes there's just no price point. Remember the $99 Gamecube.

Top Bottom