• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Sony said:
* 442,910 of copies of Grand Theft Auto IV were sold for PS3 in May, with more than 1.4 million of copies of the game sold for PS3 in the U.S. to date. More than 32 percent of U.S. PS3 owners have purchased a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV, a 6 percent higher attach rate than Xbox 360.

Why would they do this in their own PR?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
eatyobeans said:
I specifically remember Nintendo saying that they were prepping 1 million units for WiiFit's launch in NA. Obviously, that did not happen. Since Im sure Nintendo knew the demand would be there, and they gave it an excellent marketing campaign, I can only chalk this up to Nintendos production capacities just not being up to snuff.

Besides that, Nintendo is really starting to take over big time. GTAIV is pulling big #s with nice legs, as it should, but its not really changing the face of the market at all. Microsoft is becoming greedy. The 360 needed a price drop months ago, and now everyone can see that. Im sure MS is just happy with being in the black and wants to make as much $ as possible, but theyre sacrificing sales in the process.

Across the board though, Nintendo is dominating, ecspecially in software. Wii Ski at #12? Thats crazy. Plus theres just a ton of Nintendo software, and Guitar Hero 3 on Wii is showing HUGE legs.

And lastly, i feel REALLY bad for anyone who bought the PS2 version of Iron Man. What a terrible game.
I would blame the weak US dollar.

Games like GTAIV are preaching to the choir. If MS/Sony want a bigger piece of the market they have to find out why PS2 owners haven't transitioned yet.

donny2112

dammitmattt said:
That's awesome that they are promoting a lousy 6% higher attach rate for GTA4 when the reality is that the 360 version has outsold the PS3 version by nearly 100%.

It's awesome that they spoke about June and MGS4 more than the May numbers.

It's awesome that they compared the entire Playstation family to just the 360, and even then it's only a 46% difference across three combined platforms.

And it's super duper awesome that they completely forgot that the Wii exists.

so_awesome.jpg

PARANO1A said:
It's like Thank You For Smoking but better because people here believe it :lol

I love that movie. :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GarthVaderUK said:
360 sales are up compared to May last year (155K), and they've made a profit these past few quarters, I don't think it's all doom and gloom for Microsoft.

They should be doing better though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DeaconKnowledge said:
Wii had just as many 3rd party titles in the top 10 as PS3 and 360.

This is true. :lol

I don't care about the "argument" but it was never about software sales in general, but 3rd party ones. From what I observed anyways. Good on Nintendo for killing it.

Back to MGS4 for meeee

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Reggie comments on supply problems:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/wiill-be-back-n.html

Key line:

But wait -- more are on the way. The Japanese game company recently began ramping up its output of Wii consoles, to 2.4 million units a month from 1.8 million. That's the fourth production increase since the console launched in November 2006. The increased supply is just now starting to trickle into retail pipelines, Fils-Aime said. But the factories won't hum at full capacity until later this summer, he said.

If they really start putting out that over 2M a month, supply should be pretty damn good.

camineet

Banned
mood said:
Xbox is likely making money now. They wouldnt blow millions of dollars just to get the next machine out early when theyve only dropped the price $50 so far in the U.S.

They were rumored to be putting out the next-gen Xbox in 2010 anyway. Though that's only a rumor. I think 2011 is still the best bet, and possibly even as late as 2012.

Whereas 2012 is the earliest possible time for PS4.

ahh, who knows.

FrankT

schuelma said:
Reggie comments on supply problems:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/wiill-be-back-n.html

Key line:

But wait -- more are on the way. The Japanese game company recently began ramping up its output of Wii consoles, to 2.4 million units a month from 1.8 million. That's the fourth production increase since the console launched in November 2006. The increased supply is just now starting to trickle into retail pipelines, Fils-Aime said. But the factories won't hum at full capacity until later this summer, he said.

If they really start putting out that over 2M a month, supply should be pretty damn good.

Should be pretty good, but they are still having issues now with 1.8. My Wii bricked on me this month and I took it in for a replacement at the local Target I got it and notta. That was a Sunday as well about the only day their I have half a chance of catching one anyways.

camineet said:
They were rumored to be putting out the next-gen Xbox in 2010 anyway. Though that's only a rumor. I think 2011 is still the best bet, and possibly even as late as 2012.

ahh, who knows.

Eh the 360 will be going for quite some time 2012 is the very earliest and more than likely later imo based on Kim's comments in the last couple of months. 360 has pretty much outsold the Xbox in the UK at very much faster pace than the first. The 360 is also outselling the original by a pretty good pace as well, all at a higher price point than the original. MS will hit there first year of full profit this month on the console there is no turning back now. Money-making and market expansion is the focus and they will give this console the legs it deserves this time around.

RBH

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Guitar Hero Aerosmith says hello.
I also expect Battlefield: Bad Company, Lego Indiana Jones and Wii Fit will give it a run.
I'm not expecting much from Ninja Gaiden II.
You take that back! :(

farnham

Banned
camineet said:

ahh, who knows.
thats the worst thing they could do

if they really put out the next gen that early that would mean that they would abandon their hardcores + fighting with brand new expensive hardware against the wii which is last last gen...

they need to analyze the wiis success and follow suit not go the way of Xbox 360 and PS3 again

Frillen said:
We Ski is actually good?
according to 1up its an A

thats the only review i saw

I wonder how this will turn out in the long run. How was the PS2 doing when it cost $299? It seems like we're kind of reaching steady state for HD consoles doing ~200k units/month at the $350-$500 price point. For the PS2 this wasn't much of a concern cause it was the hottest thing around, so people would either buy the PS2 at $300 or at $250 or at $200 or at $150, etc., but now consumers have a cheap alternative in the Wii, which greatly confuses things. What's the lifecycle of the Wii going to be like? Will the HD consoles get more competitive when their prices drop to below $300? Will Nintendo be forced to drop its price finally?

Am I thinking crazy for being shocked that GTA4 isn't selling better? I know it's not the holiday season, but I thought GTA4 would be selling more.

neverknowsbest said:
I wonder how this will turn out in the long run. How was the PS2 doing when it cost $299? It seems like we're kind of reaching steady state for HD consoles doing ~200k units/month at the $350-$500 price point. For the PS2 this wasn't much of a concern cause it was the hottest thing around, so people would either buy the PS2 at $300 or at $250 or at $200 or at $150, etc., but now consumers have a cheap alternative in the Wii, which greatly confuses things. What's the lifecycle of the Wii going to be like? Will the HD consoles get more competitive when their prices drop to below $300? Will Nintendo be forced to drop its price finally?

PS2 was only $300 for about a year and a half. It then dropped immediately to $200, about the same time it got a ton of great games and sales really took off.

mysticstylez said:
Am I thinking crazy for being shocked that GTA4 isn't selling better? I know it's not the holiday season, but I thought GTA4 would be selling more.

It's already the best-selling game of the year with only 33 days of sales.

batbeg

* Of the top 30 best-selling games of May, 19 are made for Nintendo systems, including third-party hits like Guitar Hero™ III: Legends of Rock from Activision, We Ski™ from Namco Bandai, Game Party™ from Midway and Boom Blox™ from Electronic Arts.

GO BOOM BLOX!

yoopoo said:
Because showing this kind of emotion isn't easily translated into text...
246vp8p.gif

This is one of the greatest gifs I have ever seen. I applaud you.

Agent Icebeezy

dammitmattt said:
Price Price Price

If it's not as "hot" as the Wii and doesn't sell on buzz, they need to drop the price.

I know that, everyone knows that. Microsoft is holding the 360 back, that is the sad part about this. I think GTA4 not doing nowhere near expected should cause reality to sit in though. They need to be more proactive. Yeah, they got that $50 deal at Gamestop but they need more visability with sales like what Sony is doing at Wal-Mart.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I know that, everyone knows that. Microsoft is holding the 360 back, that is the sad part about this. I think GTA4 not doing nowhere near expected should cause reality to sit in though. They need to be more proactive. Yeah, they got that $50 deal at Gamestop but they need more visability with sales like what Sony is doing at Wal-Mart.

I just don't understand it. It's a very short-sighted way of looking at the situation. I would imagine that the user base gains and all that come along with it (accessory sales, game sales, XBL Gold, XBLM) would be more than worth the lost revenues from a $50-100 price drop in the long run.

laserbeam said:
Half the top 10 are Wii games

None of which I have any interest in whatsoever. *sigh*
I earnestly wonder when Wii will begin to get a library that comes anywhere near justifying its exorbitant sales numbers. In my eyes, the libraries of PS3, and 360 especially, put Wii's to shame. If motion sensing had proven to have a positive affect on games, I would be a bit more pleased with its dominance. But what has it done aside from simplifying games? The controls are different, but they don't magically make games better...

I really do want to like Wii though. Really... I don't want to feel like some sort of rebel without a cause. But I feel that Wii hasn't improved games at all, and it doesn't have the software library to even justify a purchase, let alone gushing praise, and that's considering MP3 and SMG.

The biggest news of this month is FAMILY FUCKING WE SKI sitting at NUMBER FUCKING TWELVE. That means it sold at LEAST 90 000 units... and that means it has ALREADY SOLD to over 1/7 of WiiFits "tiny" userbase.

That is insane. I had it pegged to absolutely bomb at under 10k for debut.

The "tide" is indeed turning, but it isn't exactly the way some were hoping.

Fuzzy said:
Anyone mention that the Wii has finally passed the 360 in North America?

Probably not. Because it hasn't yet. In the US.

No one cares about US+Canada :D

Dragona Akehi said:
The biggest news of this month is FAMILY FUCKING WE SKI sitting at NUMBER FUCKING TWELVE. That means it sold at LEAST 90 000 units... and that means it has ALREADY SOLD to over 1/7 of WiiFits "tiny" userbase.

That is fucking INSANE.

Then for Nintendo to announce that 19 of the top 30 are Wii titles? Holy crap. We can't forget the software juggernaught that is DS.

19/30 are Nintendo titles, not Wii titles. It includes the DS.

sneaky77

McHuj said:
If MS doesn't have a strong showing at E3 and a price cut, i think they maybe. Consumer mindshare definitely seems to be shifting to PS3.
they don't really need a price cut until gears 2 is almost out.
MS is still selling, at a very high price considering they only had one minor cut since they been out, so they will maximize that until the fall and then drop it for all the huge holiday titles coming out. sony already cut the ps3 $200 i don't think they can afford another big price cut this year

FrankT

Fuzzy said:
Anyone mention that the Wii has finally passed the 360 in North America?

According to US NPD it still has another month. If you mean Canada and US numbers combined I have no clue. Do we even have Canadian numbers for the month yet.

kiUNiT

DiddyBop said:
good month for the ps3. the tides are finally turning in its favour hardware-wise(in comparison to the 360,the wii is a lost cause)

Wha joke post? If the PS3 continues to outsell the 360 @ tripple this rate it will only take 5 years to catch the 360 in NA. And the 360 can never catch the Wii at the rate it's been selling.

FrankT

Dragona Akehi said:

That is insane. I had it pegged to absolutely bomb at under 10k for debut.

Then for Nintendo to announce that 19 of the top 30 are Wii titles? Holy crap. We can't forget the software juggernaught that is DS.

Hmm if that is number 12 then what is number 11? Haze under 90K for the month? Ubisoft cannot be too happy.

Can we get some official Haze numbers maybe?

Ariexv

mood said:
Xbox is likely making money now. They wouldnt blow millions of dollars just to get the next machine out early when theyve only dropped the price $50 so far in the U.S.
Huh? 2010 wouldn't be early..... the average console lifespan has always been about 5 years and 2010 would put the Xbox 360 right at that mark.

kiUNiT said:
Wha joke post? If the PS3 continues to outsell the 360 @ tripple this rate it will only take 5 years to catch the 360 in NA. And the 360 can never catch the Wii at the rate it's been selling.

I thought it was 21 years? I'm not doing the math, but I trust the source.

laserbeam

Banned
Jtyettis said:
According to US NPD it still has another month. If you mean Canada and US numbers combined I have no clue. Do we even have Canadian numbers for the month yet.

We have already had roughly 2 weeks of June sales. Based on the average sales Wii is #1 now

The scary thing about this year is that I really think that MS intends to go into Christmas with the Elite at $399, Premium at $299, and Arcade at $250, with none of their peripheral/service prices dropping.

$100 price drop in 3 years, with the more expensive SKU being at the launch price. :/

The premium needs to be at $199 at this point, but since that definitely isn't going to happen, MS at least needs the splash of a $100 slash - $250 or bust by the end of August.

farnham

Banned
i hope the recent we ski numbers mean

1. SSX Blur 2 with Balance Board Support
2. Skate It actually having decent balance board controls
3. Shaun White actually being good

bigmakstudios said:
None of which I have any interest in whatsoever. *sigh*
I earnestly wonder when Wii will begin to get a library that comes anywhere near justifying its exorbitant sales numbers. In my eyes, the libraries of PS3, and 360 especially, put Wii's to shame. If motion sensing had proven to have a positive affect on games, I would be a bit more pleased with its dominance. But what has it done aside from simplifying games? The controls are different, but they don't magically make games better...

I really do want to like Wii though. Really... I don't want to feel like some sort of rebel without a cause. But I feel that Wii hasn't improved games at all, and it doesn't have the software library to even justify a purchase, let alone gushing praise, and that's considering MP3 and SMG.

having GOTY 2006 and GOTY 2007 is not shameful really

FrankT

laserbeam said:
We have already had roughly 2 weeks of June sales. Based on the average sales Wii is #1 now

Well of course, but not based on released NPD data which happens to be what we're discussing.

Agent Icebeezy

dammitmattt said:
I just don't understand it. It's a very short-sighted way of looking at the situation. I would imagine that the user base gains and all that come along with it (accessory sales, game sales, XBL Gold, XBLM) would be more than worth the lost revenues from a $50-100 price drop in the long run.

Of course it is, it has to be. They were showing 85 dollar gains on the HDD at launch. They have also acknowledged that the mainstream price to take off at is $199 because 80%+ of PS2 sales were done at that time. It's nice that they are getting all of these games from developers. They have exceeded my expectations in that regard. They should reward these companies with some price drops so that they can sell these games.

laserbeam

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Well of course, but not based on released NPD data which happens to be what we're discussing.
Canada makes up the difference for sure. wonder what happened to npd canada :(

farnham said:
i hope the recent we ski numbers mean

1. SSX Blur 2 with Balance Board Support
2. Skate It actually having decent balance board controls
3. Shaun White actually being good

having GOTY 2006 and GOTY 2007 is not shameful really

If you mean a Steaming Pile of Ubisoft shit then yes it will be good

Top Bottom