• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

donny2112 said:
I'm looking forware to seeing how NCAA 09 All-Play fares on Wii compared to the other consoles. This is the first time it's been on a Nintendo console since NCAA 05.

It won't fare well. The NCAA audience is much narrower and arguably more hardcore than the Madden audience, which would lean towards the 360/PS3 versions easily outperforming the Wii version.

camineet

Banned
Next-Gen Xbox in 2010 seems a little more likely now, maybe?

Unless a pricecut for 360 turns things around for Microsoft in the current-gen.

laserbeam

Banned
bloody pirate said:
blame MGS4
Not really those people wouldnt want to post in this thread anyways. Reality kicke din last month and people expected far worse this month then last so they wouldnt step foot without 100 miles of this thread

king zell

Nintendo PR

Nintendo’s NPD response - NPD Figures Show Strong Consumer Response to Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit

Two Nintendo video games designed to appeal to both novice and expert gamers posted healthy numbers in the May sales charts, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks sales of video game products in the United States. Mario Kart® Wii and Wii Fit™ finished No. 2 and No. 3 for the month, demonstrating continued consumer response to new controls and experiences.

“The Wii Wheel and Wii Balance Board accessories make game play fun for new gamers while presenting new challenges for those who have been playing a long time,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The diversity of the seven Nintendo games represented in NPD’s top 10 for May demonstrates how Nintendo has something for everyone.”

Other highlights from NPD’s May U.S. sales report include:

* Wii™ (675,089 sold) and Nintendo DS™ (452,608 sold) again emerged as the two top-selling video game systems.
* Wii represented 63 percent of all current-generation consoles sold in May, while Nintendo DS had a 71 percent share of the portable market.
* Lifetime sales of Wii now stand at nearly 10.2 million.
* Lifetime sales of Nintendo DS are now at more than 20 million.
* Wii Play™ sold more than 295,000 in May, bringing its lifetime sales to more than 5.8 million.
* Of the top 30 best-selling games of May, 19 are made for Nintendo systems, including third-party hits like Guitar Hero™ III: Legends of Rock from Activision, We Ski™ from Namco Bandai, Game Party™ from Midway and Boom Blox™ from Electronic Arts.
* Pokémon® Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Pokémon® Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness combined to sell more than 208,000 in May, with lifetime sales of more than 613,000.

Epiphyte

SapientWolf said:
I'm curious about this too. Will casual gamers choose quality even if it isn't an established brand?
Perhaps, but they need to know they exist. My casual Wii owning friends would never have known about Boom Blox had I not made a point of suggesting it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
camineet said:
Unless a pricecut turns things around.

Both of them are close to reaching a point where price cuts wont affect the battle against the Wii.

Of the top 30 best-selling games of May, 19 are made for Nintendo systems, including third-party hits like Guitar Hero™ III: Legends of Rock from Activision, We Ski™ from Namco Bandai, Game Party™ from Midway and Boom Blox™ from Electronic Arts.

What the?????

Holy shit, 3rd party companies better start pumping out better stuff, because they are missing out on a gold mine.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Guitar Hero Aerosmith says hello.
I also expect Battlefield: Bad Company, Lego Indiana Jones and Wii Fit will give it a run.
I'm not expecting much from Ninja Gaiden II.

Um, white elephant in the room.

METAL GEAR SOLID 4

Also, NCAA 360 will be #1 in July and Madden 360 will be #1 in August. What kind of fantasy world are you living in?

mood

camineet said:

Xbox is likely making money now. They wouldnt blow millions of dollars just to get the next machine out early when theyve only dropped the price $50 so far in the U.S.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Of the top 30 best-selling games of May, 19 are made for Nintendo systems, including third-party hits like Guitar Hero™ III: Legends of Rock from Activision, We Ski™ from Namco Bandai, Game Party™ from Midway and Boom Blox™ from Electronic Arts.

Interesting. At least Boom Blox must not have totally bombed.

I specifically remember Nintendo saying that they were prepping 1 million units for WiiFit's launch in NA. Obviously, that did not happen. Since Im sure Nintendo knew the demand would be there, and they gave it an excellent marketing campaign, I can only chalk this up to Nintendos production capacities just not being up to snuff.

Besides that, Nintendo is really starting to take over big time. GTAIV is pulling big #s with nice legs, as it should, but its not really changing the face of the market at all. Microsoft is becoming greedy. The 360 needed a price drop months ago, and now everyone can see that. Im sure MS is just happy with being in the black and wants to make as much $ as possible, but theyre sacrificing sales in the process.

Across the board though, Nintendo is dominating, ecspecially in software. Wii Ski at #12? Thats crazy. Plus theres just a ton of Nintendo software, and Guitar Hero 3 on Wii is showing HUGE legs.

And lastly, i feel REALLY bad for anyone who bought the PS2 version of Iron Man. What a terrible game.

camineet said:

Yeah the 360 is doomed.:lol
It needs a large price cut. 10 million people already own one in the US and one of its competitors system is selling like crazy.

reminder

Sony PR:

PlayStation by the Numbers
May 2008

PS3 Eclipses Xbox 360 Hardware Sales; PS3 Hardware Sales Growth Exceeds 155 Percent Year-Over-Year

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) continued its break-out year, selling 208,709 hardware units in May. 22,106 more units than Microsoft’s Xbox 360 (according to NPD May 2008 sales data).

Spurred by enthusiasm for Grand Theft Auto IV and the exclusive releases of SingStar for PS3 and Haze, 1.26 million software units were sold for PS3 in May, representing an increase of 234 percent from this time last year.

* 442,910 of copies of Grand Theft Auto IV were sold for PS3 in May, with more than 1.4 million of copies of the game sold for PS3 in the U.S. to date. More than 32 percent of U.S. PS3 owners have purchased a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV, a 6 percent higher attach rate than Xbox 360.
* PS3 hardware sales momentum is expected to continue in June, spurred by the highly anticipated launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, exclusively for PS3, as well as the introduction of the special edition Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 bundle.
* Popularity of the PLAYSTATION®Network continues to rise, with more than 20 million pieces of content downloaded from the PlayStation®Store in May (11.6 million for North America), including the monster hit echochrome. There are currently more than 9 million registered PLAYSTATION Network accounts worldwide (nearly 4.2 million in North America) with more than 160 million pieces of content downloaded from the PlayStation®Store to date.

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) continued to boast solid sales in May with 182,310 PSP hardware units sold. In June, SCEA launched an exclusive God of War: Chains of Olympus PSP bundle including the Superbad UMD and a PSN voucher to download Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, which will further increase sales of the handheld.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had another strong month in May with hardware unit sales reaching 132,708 units, up 6.7 percent over the previous month. More than 42.2 million PS2s have been sold to date.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

The PlayStation brand continued to generate impressive sales, earning $331.6 million in May.

* Year-to-date (Jan-May), the PlayStation brand generated close to $2.27 billion in revenue, 46 percent higher than Microsoft, and representing an increase of more than 17 percent year-over-year.
* PlayStation total hardware revenue was $133 million in May, 98 percent higher than Microsoft, and representing a year-over-year growth of over 20.4 percent.
* PlayStation total software revenue in May was $159 million, representing a year-over-year growth of 19.2 percent.

“Leading into a pivotal season packed with blockbuster titles and unique online service offerings, consumers have chosen the PS3 as their home entertainment console of choice - showcased by its year-over-year sales growth of 155 percent. With its commanding line up of software titles and enhanced movie playback capabilities, the PS3 has seen phenomenal momentum with a software sales increase of more than 234 percent and additional studio support of delivering content in the Blu-ray format. The dual platform release of the much anticipated Grand Theft Auto IV title reaffirmed its legacy on the PlayStation platform with a 6 percent higher attach rate than Xbox 360, reinforcing consumer choice of PS3. Poised for continued momentum, PS3 is delivering on its breadth and depth of exclusive titles to its gaming fans with today's prized exclusive title launch of Metal Gear Solid 4. The media have hailed 2008 as the year of the PS3, and with solid sales and growth opportunities ahead, we feel consumers are saying the same.”

- Jack Tretton, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America

schuelma

amtentori said:
are you serious or joking? i cant tell...

I still remember when GTA was considered casual..... ahh the hardly cores...:lol

I'm dead serious. I hate the Wii.

Fady K

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, I mean north america.

After all, the 360's userbase is so small in Japan that a company would die if it depended on Japan only. The best course is a simultaneous release for PS3 and XBOX 360 in Japan, and keep it exclusive on the 360 in the west.

In my opinion, at this point, I think it would be safe enough to localize their Japanese PS3 versions as well.

farnham

Banned
Epiphyte said:
Perhaps, but they need to know they exist. My casual Wii owning friends would never have known about Boom Blox had I not made a point of suggesting it.
word of mouth is the best commercial actually

BOOM BLOX

ADVERTISE IT :D :D

Pachael

Next month's NPD will be better, we swear! ;p

PS3 and X360 US YTD is very close, advantage the former.
Wii and X360 US LTD is very close, advantage the former again.

There's MGS4 bump, it's all or nothing ?! No place to hide!!

laserbeam said:
Not really those people wouldnt want to post in this thread anyways. Reality kicke din last month and people expected far worse this month then last so they wouldnt step foot without 100 miles of this thread

Are you kidding? PS3 outsold 360 and only one 360 title in the top ten. They'd be all over this!

schuelma said:

Interesting. At least Boom Blox must not have totally bombed.

Was Boom Blox advertised? I don't watch TV, so I usually can't gauge the level of marketing for a game...unless I drive by a bus that's been completely covered with GTA IV art on the way home (true story).

So, are we not going to get PS2 numbers at all for last month? Guess it's unknown at the moment or it would probably be posted in the op.

~EDIT~

NVM.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pachael said:
Next month's NPD will be better, we swear! ;p

PS3 and X360 US YTD is very close, advantage the former.
Wii and X360 US LTD is very close, advantage the former again.

There's MGS4 bump, it's all or nothing ?! No place to hide!!

Even if I am sony's camp, I think it would be funny as hell if MS lowered the price this month to take thunder from MGS4.

farnham

Banned
“Leading into a pivotal season packed with blockbuster titles and unique online service offerings, consumers have chosen the PS3 as their home entertainment console of choice - showcased by its year-over-year sales growth of 155 percent. With its commanding line up of software titles and enhanced movie playback capabilities, the PS3 has seen phenomenal momentum with a software sales increase of more than 234 percent and additional studio support of delivering content in the Blu-ray format. The dual platform release of the much anticipated Grand Theft Auto IV title reaffirmed its legacy on the PlayStation platform with a 6 percent higher attach rate than Xbox 360, reinforcing consumer choice of PS3. Poised for continued momentum, PS3 is delivering on its breadth and depth of exclusive titles to its gaming fans with today's prized exclusive title launch of Metal Gear Solid 4. The media have hailed 2008 as the year of the PS3, and with solid sales and growth opportunities ahead, we feel consumers are saying the same.”

:lol :lol :lol :lol

is jack tretton living on the dark side of the moon...?? :lol :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Sony has perfected the art of bullshitting. Well the good news for their PR department Staff if they ever get fired they will have teaching jobs lined up on teaching the art of the bullshit

reminder said:

That's awesome that they are promoting a lousy 6% higher attach rate for GTA4 when the reality is that the 360 version has outsold the PS3 version by nearly 100%.

It's awesome that they spoke about June and MGS4 more than the May numbers.

It's awesome that they compared the entire Playstation family to just the 360, and even then it's only a 46% difference across three combined platforms.

And it's super duper awesome that they completely forgot that the Wii exists.

PARANO1A

laserbeam said:
Sony has perfected the art of bullshitting. Well the good news for their PR department Staff. if they ever get fired they will have teaching jobs lined up on teaching the art of the bullshit
It's like Thank You For Smoking but better because people here believe it :lol

RBH

:lol :lol

flintstryker said:
since when?

Didn't you hear? As soon as the Wii came out, 'hardcore gamers' suddenly reminded everyone that GTA, Madden, and Halo had always been 'hardcore gamer games'.

Next generation, we'll be hearing how it's a shame that Casual gamers are driving non-games past traditional, hardcore games like Wii Fit 2, Wii Still Play, and Mario Party 12.

schuelma

dammitmattt said:
That's awesome that they are promoting a lousy 6% higher attach rate for GTA4 when the reality is that the 360 version has outsold the PS3 version by nearly 100%.

It's awesome that they spoke about June and MGS4 more than the May numbers.

It's awesome that they compared the entire Playstation family to just the 360, and even then it's only a 46% difference across three combined platforms.

And it's super duper awesome that they completely forgot that the Wii exists.

Yeah, but I gotta say I kind of admire the spin. Stupid media won't really know the difference and might report things the way Sony wants- and isn't that what good P.R gets?

farnham

Banned
did anyone see 2008 as the year of the PS3 (with the prominent exception of shane bettenhausen..?)

Scrubking said:
Confirmed E3 Game List

pc - 17
ps3 - 21
xbox360 - 22
wii - 7

...Wii - 7

Nintendo titles out of that 7 confirmed games - 0

OH NOES NINTENDO JUMPED SHIP!

yoopoo

Banned
sonycowboy said:
This is the slowest moving NPD thread in the history of NeoGAF...
Because showing this kind of emotion isn't easily translated into text...
246vp8p.gif

360 sales are up compared to May last year (155K), and they've made a profit these past few quarters, I don't think it's all doom and gloom for Microsoft.

Top Bottom