• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Oblivion said:
Those GTA sales are good and all, but it seems like it won't be the no. 1 console series this gen.

Being as average as it is, it doesn't deserve to be.

Tobor

Mama Robotnik said:
npdgaftrek.gif

May I request something from The Empire Strikes back next time? :lol :lol

Awesome work.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From the NPD release:

"Coming in at number 12 on the top-sellers list, We Ski from Namco, which utilizes the Wii Fit balance board, was able to captilize on Wii Fit's cross-promotions in circulars and at retail."

I thought it would do well..this could be a very good seller worldwide for Namco. It's over a 100K in Japan and probably did a 100K here as well.

Toy Soldier said:
Didn't Reggie say they'd have a million for the NA launch, or am I making that up?

To answer my own question:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/853/853258p1.html

so our goal is to make sure we have over a million units available at launch to support it.

So that was merely a 'goal,' after being prompted by the interviewer that NoJ shipped that many in the first month.

Not that the first month means a whole heck of a lot in the lifespan of a title like this, obviously.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Nintendo crushes the competition and GTAIV 360 crushes the PS3 version. Looks like things are normal.

Good PS3 console sales though. Seems likely MGS4 will help keep those numbers rising.

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:
From the NPD release:

"Coming in at number 12 on the top-sellers list, We Ski from Namco, which utilizes the Wii Fit balance board, was able to captilize on Wii Fit's cross-promotions in circulars and at retail."

I thought it would do well..this could be a very good seller worldwide for Namco. It's over a 100K in Japan and probably did a 100K here as well.
wth

We Ski ??? :D :D :D hope this means some mor games from namco...

Ranger X

Nintendo approaching the total worldwide lead on everything that isn't PC.
Sony sailing good towards second place.
Microsoft err... are still making money with the 360.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sonycowboy said:
Too bad there are only a reported max of 200k of these bundles, if that.

Gamestop's in my area got 4 bundles each.
I guess the best news I can give you is that the unit that sold was a 40GB. He ended up buying both separately but walked out with his PS3/MGS4LE So this one in particular didn't inherit the sale from an 80GB unit. Hopefully more are like this as well.

Leonsito

sonycowboy said:
This is the slowest moving NPD thread in the history of NeoGAF...

It's the same that happened with the DS stomping in Media-Create thread, boring month as I said in the prediction thread :(

I guess people is playing MGS4 :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
sonycowboy said:

well the numbers aren't exactly world shattering. I think this is what most people expected. Next month should be more interesting when PS3 gets a boost

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ulairi said:
Nintendo has beaten the opposition into submission. No surprises.

Basically, we come to marvel at Nintendo's stranglehold and laugh at Microsoft's and Sony's hilarious, yet pitiful battle for second place. They are both getting embarrassed.

RBH

sonycowboy said:
Too bad there are only a reported max of 200k of these bundles, if that.

Gamestop's in my area got 4 bundles each.
If that's the case, then Sony has dropped the ball.

Any idea on how many weeks/months the bundle will be distributed?

Moray

sonycowboy said:

People are playing a certain game that just came out. Maybe next month will be the fastest then?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jjgames said:
This is surprising to me. #12 overall for a game that only works with an add-on? There are going to be tons of Wii Balance Board games announced now. (Majesco announced one today)

you can also play it with wiimote/nunchuck

Brakara

Stumpokapow said:
Your spreadsheet only goes to last December, but all your numbers are right. It's just a difference in rounding up to that point.

Uhm, try refresh (sorry about that). But, yeah, it's probably rounding up differences.

Taurus

Everyone disappointed with those Wii numbers? I know I am. :(

Well, Nintendo had a good run. Next time, try to manufacture enough games, controllers and consoles.

Thanks for the nice GIF comments, as always! Though, you were seriously mistaken if you think I'd only prepared one.

HD Consoles - Compared to Nintendo's ridiculous success...

gafunerals.gif

"The continued success of GTA IV is not translating into big hardware sales for either the PS3 or the 360 but there may yet to be a lift in June due to gift-giving for Father's Day and Graduations."

June numbers do historically have a bump above May's numbers. I never even thought about Father's Day or graduations...I just figured it was due to summer. Kids out of school, want a new game to play. Frolicking outdoors is out, gaming is in.

Tobor

Moray said:
People are playing a certain game that just came out. Maybe next month will be the fastest then?

Nothing I'm interested in comes out until Civ Rev in July. :(

Time to hit the backlog I suppose.

"The continued success of GTA IV is not translating into big hardware sales for either the PS3 or the 360 but there may yet to be a lift in June due to gift-giving for Father's Day and Graduations."

The tax return defense! awesome.

cvxfreak

Reggie's going to be right about pulling ahead by June.

Hell, in real world time, the Wii's probably ahead in the U.S. already.

szaromir

Banned
Ranger X said:
Nintendo approaching the total worldwide lead on everything that isn't PC.
Sony sailing good towards second place.
Microsoft err... are still making money with the 360.
20k lead is now sailing good towards second place? A this rate, the will come second in 20 years.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
farnham said:
so where are the disappointing hardware numbers..?

I'd say the Wii number was "slightly disappointing" given expectations

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mama Robotnik said:
Thanks for the nice GIF comments, as always! Though, you were seriously mistaken if you think I'd only prepared one.

HD Consoles - Compared to Nintendo's ridiculous success...

gafunerals.gif

:lol :lol

get me the Star Trek background here, whose body is being blasted into space?

farnham

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Reggie's going to be right about pulling ahead by June.

Hell, in real world time, the Wii's probably ahead in the U.S. already.
hopefully this means Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles 2

HokieJoe

Wii supplies are constrained? Two of my friends picked one up for their children during the last month. They couldn't get a whiff of one until now. Anecdotal evidence and all that...

Top Bottom