• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Gaborn said:
Wait... I just saw Anita Frazier's comments editted into the OP. Is she SERIOUS? she's STILL clinging to a GTA bump in JUNE? my god, they just can't admit they're wrong. Are we going to hear about an independence day bump next?

Only Will Smith gets those.

Andrex said:
nnl6ap.gif

Edit- Beaten,

But still four pages? This should've been the first reply.

This is the most funny thing I've ever seen on GAF :lol :lol :lol :lol

jts

...hate me...
sonycowboy said:
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2008 2 787.4K
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAY 2008 3 687.7K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 5 294.6K
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAR 2008 6 171.1K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 8 116.8K
Was this pointed out already? I find it hilarious :lol
I can't imagine the stellar sales Smash Bros. would have if it was packed-in with something, i dunno a maybe a paperweight or a kitchen sink, whatever.

Guy Legend

sonycowboy said:
Too bad there are only a reported max of 200k of these bundles, if that.

Gamestop's in my area got 4 bundles each.

You're talking about the initial allotment of 80gb MGS4 bundles? They will continue to release/manufacture more 80gb systems for sale, right?

laserbeam

Banned
Man if it wasnt for the Wii I dont think Guitar Hero would have half the sales it does. They need to work their ass off and make sure the wii version for now on gets the proper respect as far as development etc. Guitar Hero Wii just wont die.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Daddy wants his Halos and his Blu Rays.
My dad needs Wii Fit

Too true I think most beer guzzling American dads could use some Wiifit.

Tobor

mio said:
I can't imagine the stellar sales Smash Bros. would have if it was packed-in with something, i dunno a maybe a paperweight or a kitchen sink, whatever.

They should have packed in a Classic Controller.

verio

The only crazy NPD from here on out would be if 360/PS3 outsold the Wii.

Which will probably never happen. Every month... 360 and PS3, neck and neck... Wii, domination. Getting rather boring. I mean, this NPD hasn't even killed GAF yet.

Pachael

Well, to be fair, people are getting a bit tired with the fact that the NPD is starting to look like the Media Create threads, eg. Nintendo domination and not much else. The X360 looks like it's gaining momentum towards 3rd :lol

Gaborn

Agent Icebeezy said:
Only Will Smith gets those.

:lol :lol :lol :lol wow though. Wow. I can't wait for the next analyst to predict some massive PS3 comeback. This is just insane, they're on another planet.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hcoregamer00 said:
All we have left is the battle for 2nd place, and since the PS3 is not turning up the heat, it will be a boring ass battle for a long long time.
First, second, and third place seems pretty much set in the U.S. A year and a half of monthly NPD sales figures and a vast difference in install base between the 360 and PS3 cements that theory.

Gaborn said:
Wait... I just saw Anita Frazier's comments editted into the OP. Is she SERIOUS? she's STILL clinging to a GTA bump in JUNE? my god, they just can't admit they're wrong. Are we going to hear about an independence day bump next?
Next month, they will say July slowdown while the Wii does 700K+++

Tobor

Wollan said:
GTA4 hasn't been been anything but a HD console performance-brake so far (seemingly). Bizarro world.

It's just bad timing. They released the game at the exact moment that the market reached saturation at a $400 price point.

sonycowboy said:
This is the slowest moving NPD thread in the history of NeoGAF...

Probably due to the most vocal posters that normally would be here in droves getting banned in the Penny Arcade thread.

Frillen said:
Corrct, but not.

The NPD Group estimate Wal Mart numbers using advanced formulas. Key word; ESTIMATE.

I'm aware of this, have been for years. Goes for Toys R Us and Amazon as well. If any one of these companies that don't report run a special promotion like Wal-mart is doing now, I don't think the true effect of said promotion will affect the NPD numbers. I should have said "accurately" when I posted. It was more referring to the recent promotion sales numbers then anything else.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
laserbeam said:
Man if it wasnt for the Wii I dont think Guitar Hero would have half the sales it does. They need to work their ass off and make sure the wii version for now on gets the proper respect as far as development etc. Guitar Hero Wii just wont die.

Thankfully unlike those idiots at Harmonix, Red Octane actually cares about Wii owners. GH4 for Wii will have DLC, online, song/char creation, etc. Can't wait.

Gaborn

titiklabingapat said:
Next month, they will say July slowdown while the Wii does 700K+++

:lol :lol I like to try to give analysts the benefit of the doubt, but freakin WOW. a JUNE bump for GTA.... JUNE :lol :lol :lol

Frillen

mio said:

:lol :lol

Wow. Mario Super Sluggers better be packed in with a bat :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
laserbeam said:

GH3 Wii is very full featured. The only thing it doesn't have are the shitty DLC songs.

It even has better online then the PS3 version.

laserbeam

Banned
Man God said:
GH3 Wii is very full featured. The only thing it doesn't have are the shitty DLC songs.

It even has better online then the PS3 version.

Oh I agree. I own the game myself and rushed around town to get it day one. I anticipate that GH4 etc will be even fuller on the wii for the forseeable future if the franchise can continue to dominate on the Wii like it does.

AniHawk

Wii Play: 5.765m
SSBB: 3.197m
Guitar Hero 3 Wii: 2.253m
Mario Kart Wii: 1.907m

GTA IV: 4.164m
360v: 2.721m
PS3v: 1.443m

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: 613k

Frillen

bryehn said:
WOW! at Iron Man PS2! Who is buying that shit?

The same people who bought 2 Million copies of 50 Cent Bulletproof or the same people who bought 3 Million copies of Cars the Game.

FtsH

MS. lower 360's price to Wii level and I will buy another one immediately. I want to help HD gaming, but.........give me a chance you stupid!

Pretty much business as usual here.
Expect another <200K month for X360 in June.
Was somewhat surprised to see PS3 edge slightly ahead of that mark.
Look for June sales to be somewhere in the ballpark of 260-275K following the MGS4 bump.
Nothing to get too excited about.

donny2112

jasonbay said:
considering that PS3 sells better than 360 in nearly every EU country/Japan

Those Japanese monthly PS3 sales amount to about half a week of U.S. sales. AKA: It doesn't really add much.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Look for June sales to be somewhere in the ballpark of 260-275K following the MGS4 bump.

June is a 5-week month. May and April were 4 weeks.

Frillen

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Pretty much business as usual here.
Nothing to get too excited about.

June is a 5 monther though.

Liquid

Banned
Frillen said:
Bitter tears.

Anywan, Iron Man :(

5 Wii games in top 10 :lol

bitter tears? not even. atleast 5 people have said the same thing. it IS getting very boring. same thing every month. Wii domination, ps360 within breathing distance. Its not even a war anymore. What is there after MGS4? Nintendo has blown their load until Christmas, Sony blew their load today and MS is just stupid for dropping the price $50 damn dollars in 3 years.

What is there to look forward to? Madden sales? NPD is gonna be boring as shit until october/november/december.

Top Bottom