• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

dammitmattt said:
Did everyone forget this was an NPD thread? I don't see any sales talk going on anymore...
When the fanboys can't attack the sales, they attack the consoles library. Pretty pathetic.

Amir0x said:
it's like BishopLamont read cliff notes version of the conversation and turned in a book report, only to be shocked when he receives an F because he didn't understand anything
Step up or shutup.

Amir0x

Banned
it's like BishopLamont read cliff notes version of the conversation and turned in a book report, only to be shocked when he receives an F because he didn't understand anything

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd actually like to discuss and try to figure out the 69 DS million sellers and the 30 whatever the number is Wii million sellers. But that would require who arent in this topic do to LBP/Wii bitch wars

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
When threads get to 27 pages (not 54, you heathens), it's hard not to completely veer off-topic.

Still quite entertaining though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Speevy said:
Games with average core gameplay don't get rated in the high 9s.

I thought we were discussing which game had a greater impact in the industry, not which game got the most accolades.

There's a difference.

HK-47 said:
I'd actually like to discuss and try to figure out the 69 DS million sellers and the 30 whatever the number is Wii million sellers. But that would require who arent in this topic do to LBP/Wii bitch wars
What is it, 21 third party games and 15 first party?

First Party
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mario Kart Wii
- Metroid Prime 3
- Twilight Princess
- Super Paper Mario
- Pokémon Battle Revolution
- Wii Sports (it's sold over a million in Japan right?)
- Big Brain Academy
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Play
- Wii Fit
- Wario Ware Smooth Moves
- Mario Strikers Charged
- Link's Crossbow Training

Third Party
- Guitar Hero 3
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Carnival Games
- Mario & Sonic
- Resident Evil 4
- Resident Evil: UC
- Lego Star Wars
- Red Steel
- Rayman RR 1
- Rayman RR 2
- Game Party
- Deca Sports
- MySims
- High School Musical

Hm... Stumped on the rest.

Speevy

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I thought we were discussing which game had a greater impact in the industry, not which game got the most accolades.

There's a difference.

I'm responding to the bit about "run of the mill" gameplay, nothing else.

Aaron Strife said:

First Party
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Mario Kart Wii
- Metroid Prime 3
- Twilight Princess
- Super Paper Mario
- Big Brain Academy
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Play
- Wii Fit
- Mario Strikers Charged

Third Party
- Guitar Hero 3
- Carnival Games
- Mario & Sonic
- Resident Evil 4
- Lego Star Wars
- Red Steel
- Rayman RR 1
- Rayman RR 2
- Game Party
- Deca Sports
- MySims
- High School Musical

Hm...
Crap nevermind.

andthebeatgoeson

Did we get word on if Ninty sold more games this month?

And is this thread an good indicator of where system wars are headed? 'Doesn't matter how many games Wii sells, they all are shite.'

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aaron Strife said:

First Party
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Mario Kart Wii
- Metroid Prime 3
- Twilight Princess
- Super Paper Mario
- Big Brain Academy
- Mario Party 8
- Wii Play
- Wii Fit
- Mario Strikers Charged

Third Party
- Guitar Hero 3
- Carnival Games
- Mario & Sonic
- Resident Evil 4
- Lego Star Wars
- Red Steel
- Rayman RR 1
- Rayman RR 2
- Game Party
- Deca Sports
- MySims
- High School Musical

Hm... Stumped on the rest.

Yeah something like that. I've seen Banana Blitz and one of the DBZ games. Tenkaichi 2. Course I dont we have ever gotten fair numbers for those.

legend166 said:
Man, I hope the future of gaming isn't user created content and levels :(

I soooooooooooooooooooooo agree with this.

I don't want a focus on user created content, nor do I want to make content for games for free.

deepbrown

DeaconKnowledge said:
And Gamespot, and IGN, and 1up (reading all these reviews goes the same Way: "The game itself has some issues with control and focus, but man can you customize and customize") The LBP reviews are a referendum on experimentation in games; Every bit of praise i've read about LBP has everything to do with the creation and very little to do with the core platforming game. Does this sound run of the mill to me? Yes it does.

As for your GOTY comments, didn't GTA4 get those same comments? But of course only the negative focus for Wii Sports sticks. Gotcha.

Does not compute.

Ps. if we're talking about sales...was LBP really on sale for only 4 days? In a time when noone knew when the hell the game was coming out. I doubt the retailers even counted the copies they sold early, because they weren't allowed to sell those copies - new ones had to be sent out.

deepbrown

Shin Johnpv said:
I soooooooooooooooooooooo agree with this.

I don't want a focus on user created content, nor do I want to make content for games for free.
if you think every game is to be user created, and we'll lose all the story/plot driven games. You're brain dead. The Wii didn't get rid of hardcore FPS shooters and replace them with shitty sport games.

The core LBP platforming is great. The story made levels are brilliantly designed for the mechanics, and they get progressively more difficult. Acing the levels takes a lot of hardwork and dedication, and playing through them to get all the stickers in 4 player co-op is an absolute blast.

Nothing run of the mill at all.

I still haven't made a level yet. That GAF thread has some ridiculous levels already.

AtreyU

Neo Member
Tiktaalik said:
I agree with you absolutely, although I still think the casual boom was inevitable even without the Wii, given the popularity of the DS and the growing popularity of the casual PC space (of course we'll never know).

My point, that LBP will in the long term end up being more influential is at the moment impossible to prove. My gut feeling for it is that already LBP has had a greater impact on the people that matter, that is developers. Developers have already shown their apathy toward the Wii as shown by the strong reluctance of top tier developers to develop for the platform. I think from the development community there has been a huge amount of excitement about LBP. The next few years should be interesting to see whether high profile developers latch onto the concepts that LBP explores.

developers yes. Publishers, hehe if LBP doesn't sell very, well risk management would say fuck off and go tell the developer to make "adjective noun sequel: insert subtitle here" movie tie in instead.

Accident said:
Has this been posted?
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201179.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

Guitar Hero World Tour
Xbox 360 -191,049
Wii - 182,845
PlayStation 3 96,657
PlayStation 2 63,462

Rock Band 2
Xbox 360 119,569 (483k LTD)
PlayStation 3 118,559

Rock Revolution
Xbox 360 1,442
PlayStation 3 816
DS 666

Wow. Rock Revolution bombed. :lol

Interesting GH:WT sales, pretty low overall I must say. I guess the price must be a big factor.

Expect the Wii version to gradually overtake the 360 version. It's what happened with GHIII and I expect the same to happen here.

Sharp

Accident said:
Has this been posted?

Guitar Hero World Tour
Xbox 360 -191,049
Wii - 182,845
PlayStation 3 96,657
PlayStation 2 63,462

Rock Band 2
PlayStation 3 118,559

Rock Revolution
Xbox 360 1,442
PlayStation 3 816
DS 666
Rock Revolution :(

I mean, I'm sure it's a terrible game, and I know it came out at practically the worst possible time and offered no compelling reason to buy it, but I feel so bad for Konami considering they used to own the rhythm game segment and I hate to see them lose money on something like this. At least they can take solace in the DS sales.
_Alkaline_ said:
Wow. Rock Revolution bombed. :lol

Interesting GH:WT sales, pretty low overall I must say. I guess the price must be a big factor.

Expect the Wii version to gradually overtake the 360 version. It's what happened with GHIII and I expect the same to happen here.
GH:WT should have some pretty good legs. It's not going to sell like GHIII--it wasn't going to anyway, with the economy in the shitter and a significant percentage of its userbase migrating to Rockband--but it was only out for a few days in October and from what I can tell word-of-mouth on the game from casuals is generally positive.

Neo C.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm too lazy to bother finding Amirox's post to quote it, but do we really have to have all game innovatively utilize just the Wiimote to be fun?

This was a criticism of the DS way back in the day that I just couldn't understand "Yeah well, these games don't need the DS to be good". So what? All this means is that the DS has good, traditional games in addition to the quirky ones that can only be done with the system. Now we have a platform in the DS that is kicking ass the likes of which we haven't seen in possibly the life of gaming as a hobby. And people are STILL incredulous as to why it sells.
It really was an annoying argument which fortunately finally died in the third year of the DS. In the case of the Wii though, I believe it will take a bit longer to find acceptance, since fanboys are always a bit more emotional when it comes to home consoles.

szaromir

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
And there's the problem. Very few publishers are striving to achieve a middle ground, instead opting to keep all of their best games on the HD consoles.

I'm not saying that the 360/PS3 shouldn't get these games - quite the opposite in fact. A lot of these types of games should be on the HD consoles because the power of the 360/PS3 is so integral to them.

That said, there's many games that could potentially be a superior experience on Wii purely because of the controls (especially with MotionPlus). I'm not talking about games that have come out (or will come out) on the HD consoles, but rather types of games that are radically different and make the remote integral to the experience. Some 3rd party games have done this already - look at Boom Blox as an example - but none of these games have been of the same scope or quality as the best 360/PS3 efforts.

The problem is that few developers are willing to push this envelope. Instead they're sticking to the safer route of putting their best games on 360/PS3, something that I have to question considering how many studios are being shut-down and how many are losing their jobs.

They give the scraps to Wii when they really could be taking advantage of the controller and delivering some truly impressive content. I'm not saying that all the best games should go to Wii - far from it, in fact - but on the flipside they're barely giving the Wii anything, when there's a goldmine that's just sitting there waiting for someone to make a real effort.

It is as much 3rd parties' fault as it is Nintendo's. Had Nintendo been as obsessive about 3rd party support as Microsoft, Wii would have the most AAA games in development by now. Helping developers of most promising titles, financing marketing campaigns or simply moneyhatting are all strategies that competition have been successfully using for years. It's incredible that 360 with its very slow start managed to gain support of basically all 3rd party developers. But as of now Nintendo hasn't even bothered to change the situation.

They have, of course, the most popular console ever even despite that, so 3rd parties will eventually try something, but Nintendo should really encourage these baby steps with their own money to accelerate the process.

Balb

szaromir said:
It is as much 3rd parties' fault as it is Nintendo's. Had Nintendo been as obsessive about 3rd party support as Microsoft, Wii would have the most AAA games in development by now. Helping developers of most promising titles, financing marketing campaigns or simply moneyhatting are all strategies that competition have been successfully using for years. It's incredible that 360 with its very slow start managed to gain support of basically all 3rd party developers. But as of now Nintendo hasn't even bothered to change the situation.

They have, of course, the most popular console ever even despite that, so 3rd parties will eventually try something, but Nintendo should really encourage these baby steps with their own money to accelerate the process.

Monster Hunter 3 is a start

szaromir

Banned
Balb said:
Monster Hunter 3 is a start
But is one title enough to create a strong a reliable market for hardcore games that would convince publishers to devote a significant part of their businesses to AAA Wii games? Especially since the game's relevant in one region only. Of course, Wii will have more than MH3, but it all feels too slow, too little.

Accident said:
Rock Revolution
Xbox 360 1,442
PlayStation 3 816
DS 666

Thank goodness, that should be the last we see of Rock Revolution. The sad thing is Konami will probably never understand their screw-up. They probably will think this proves Americans don't like music games, just like they proved long ago when their other crappy ports of Japanese music games didn't sell.

Crappy song selection + only covers + cheap drums + horrible vertical scrolling = please do not ever make this game again, Konami.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The GameSpot data is very troubling. I am not sure what's going on.

It should be noted that GameDaily reported the same rankings that we received from NPD. I am of the impression that GameDaily receives the top 20 directly from NPD, and was going by what they received, not what we put on Gamasutra.

I have double checked the spreadsheet I received from NPD over and over and over. Let me quote what it says:
TOP 20 VIDEO GAME TITLES
RANKED BY TOTAL U.S. UNITS
OCTOBER, 2008

Every music game on the list has an asterisk. Below the list it says this:
*Includes Collector's, Limited, Legendary, Bundles (Guitars) Editions

The only way this could still be right and the total figures given by GameSpot right as well is if we take the word "Guitars" literally and somehow the "Full Band" bundle was counted separately. Anyone else have some solutions?

Edit: I just went to check the earlier MTV report, and it now says this:
[UPDATE #2: NPD has confirmed that the numbers they original numbers they provided to us for this story were incorrect. Their data now indicates that the 360 version edged out the Wii version.]

Edit 2: Meant to say that incorrect figures to MTV makes me wonder if I also got bum information. Or GameSpot? Or...

Edit 3: Wait, this whole problem goes away if that's really Rock Band 2 for Xbox 360 at #16, right? I think that must be the error.

Edit 4: No, that's not the problem. Sorry. If Rock Band 2 Xbox 360 and Rock Band 2 PS3 had essentially equal sales, they should both be above GHWT PS3. This is so broken.

tabsina

Accident said:
Has this been posted?

Guitar Hero World Tour
Xbox 360 -191,049
Wii - 182,845
PlayStation 3 96,657
PlayStation 2 63,462

Rock Band 2
PlayStation 3 118,559

Rock Revolution
Xbox 360 1,442
PlayStation 3 816
DS 666

From link: "According to the data, the game sold 1,442 for the 360, 816 for the PS3, 666 for the DS, and only two copies for the Wii."

:lol That is impressive, since it wasn't even released yet

hc2

Just a subjective impression. Went to pick up a Fallout 3 (360 version) copy yesterday. Best Buy was out, Circuit City was out, Target was out, Gamestop was out. Had to buy a used copy at Gamestop (they had two available). Seems to have sold well. All places had Fable 2 available.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tabsina said:
:lol That is impressive, since it wasn't even released yet

NPD also has single-digit sales for a number of select imports sold by tracked retail partners, as well as single-digit sales for certain titles that were Wal-Mart exclusive but magically ended up being sold as new at a tracked retail partner.

Some retailers also mis-SKU budget packs and 2-in-1s. Pretty much every NPD sheet (not that I've seen many--I have no non-public sources and have only seen data that has leaked to the public on large, major, publicly-accessible sites) has "Budget Pack" with two digits of sales or "Budget Asst." with one or two digits of sales. It's never been clear to me what these labels actually refer to or which retailer does them.

Fredescu said:
Have you played it?

I'm a quarter of the way through it on my Friend's PS3. It's a definite step back from almost everything we've seen in San Andreas minus the graphics, which are amazing. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it's a clear case of a game that got its score based on name recognition and hype rather than the actual gameplay.

GTA4 HAD to get a ten, lest the gaming media get eviscerated by the public, much like Gerstmann did for his TP review (Which I thoroughly believe was the right score to give the game in the end anyway.)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Neo C. said:
It really was an annoying argument which fortunately finally died in the third year of the DS. In the case of the Wii though, I believe it will take a bit longer to find acceptance, since fanboys are always a bit more emotional when it comes to home consoles.

Quoted for truth, I really hated when people bitched that some DS games didn't utilize the touch screen, second screen and/or the microphone. It looked like they didn't realize that the DS also had as a standard option a D-Pad, 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons.

The Wii has the same advantage for developers; the Wii has as a standard a motion controller with a D-Pad, A-B buttons (look how TP used those, genius), the 1-2 buttons, plus the pointing device, plus the Nunchuck which is also a motion controller with an analog stick plus Z-C button.

Developers have the option to use all of this or none.

The aspect that really makes me happy about the Wii is the return of light gun shooters, even if those only use the pointing thing and one button.
The same happened to me with DS, the point and click genre returned because of it (now, where is my "Awesome SCUMM collection" Lucas Arts??).

Top Bottom