• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

GPsych

Frillen said:
Dangeriously slow.

This is probably because things appear to be relatively set now. We haven't had anything truly unexpected in quite a while so most of the drama is gone. Looks like people are starting to accept the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions in the U.S. I think most of us on NeoGAF have known how it will end for long time in an intellectual sense, but now it's starting to internalize.

-G

WarLox

sonycowboy said:
As always, thanks to NPD for their cooperation

HW Sales
PlayStation 2 173.5K
PlayStation 3 232.4K
PSP 238.1K
Xbox 360 347.2K
Wii 687.0K
Nintendo DS 536.8K

Top 10 SW Sales
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units
360 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 1 610K
WII WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 2 518K360 ROCK BAND 2 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-08 3 363K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 4 353KPS3 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 5 325K
360 MERCENARIES 2: WORLD IN FLAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 6 297K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 7 243K
360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 8 224K
WII STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 9 223K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 10 158K

Can anyone honestly look at this, and not say that Nintendo hold products to boost sales for "special event" PS360 months ? Everytime something happens with PS3 or 360 that would cause them to have higher then normal sales.... those "hard to find" Nintendo products are suddenly over flowing the shelves, causing Nintendo to have a "boost" in sales also.

Shame they would do that do their fans.

:(

Rpgmonkey

dialmydrive said:
Sept:
TH = 34K
Ves = 37K

Totally called it. And someone told me this game was going to reach 500K in NA/JPN/Asia no sweat. :p

... :(

Kinda surprised at at DQIV, expected like 50-60K for September. Hopefully it helps to build up a larger fanbase or something and V and VI do better numbers.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
beef3483 said:
So does this put to bed the notion that price was the only reason Wii was succeeding.

The Wii is succeeding because it's a different experience. More easily accepted by the masses, namely people who never gamed before.

okrim

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Ok numbers for 360 and PS3.

Under 250k this late in the life cycle is shitty no matter what but hey, could be worse. Love all the "was expecting 0 units sold from PS3 and a billion for 360, so color me super surprised" spin people.
Er 360 last year sell more or less how the ps3 man...so it's same shit?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Y2Kev said:
unban dyack so we can throw tomatoes!

:lol Come on... I think Dyack has had enough. No sense in kicking him even further. It's a fact now after this month's NDP that Too Human is not only a critical failure but also a sales failure. That would break a lot of people. Let's move on ;)

Gaborn

beef3483 said:
So does this put to bed the notion that price was the only reason Wii was succeeding.

Whether it should or it shouldn't it won't because people will always have an excuse when they get crushed. whether it's "novelty" or "cheap price" or "hype" or... any thing else people don't want to accept that a different system beat "their" system, and if the PS3 was ahead it'd be the same thing, just different excuses, and if the 360 was ahead again, people would make excuses.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rpgmonkey said:
Totally called it. And someone told me this game was going to reach 500K in NA/JPN/Asia with no trouble at all. :p

... :(

It was probably..sniff sniff..jimbo.

May He Rest In Peace

Banned
WarLox said:
Can anyone honestly look at this, and not say that Nintendo hold products to boost sales for "special event" PS360 months ? Everytime something happens with PS3 or 360 that would cause them to have higher then normal sales.... those "hard to find" Nintendo products are suddenly over flowing the shelves, causing Nintendo to have a "boost" in sales also.

I don't have any data to back me up, but weren't those games in the top 10 for the past 2 months?

C.T.

WarLox said:

They said the increased supply will arrive starting september.

Karma said:
Yes, you need LIVE to play games online. The 360 is more expensive and still outsold the PS3. :lol :lol
If I had bought a 360 instead of a Wii, I'd have never used it to play a game online - not even once. I'd have taken it online, but for XBLA only, which last time I checked, didn't require a subscription.

So, no, the 360 isn't more expensive.

EDIT: I only ever take my Wii online to surf the net and buy things from the Wii Shop Channel. I have no interest in online games at all.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Btw, this thread's a ghost town. Did everyone's spirits finally get broken? :lol

Opiate

Frillen said:
Dangeriously slow.

I've mentioned this before, but NPD threads have been slowing down gradually for months. They easily topped 100 pages 9 months ago. Then by July, they were down to 80. Then by the end of summer they were struggling to push 60 pages. I wouldn't be surprised if this one halted at 50.

And guess when things began to decelerate? April, GTA IV month. That was the month that ended this war for all but the last holdouts. Who are ignored by everyone. Just give it 3-4 more years, and things will boot right back up again.

dyls

Relix said:
RB2? Huge game? It costs over $160 with instruments, it's like another freaking console. Not only that, but it's not at the same level as the likes of say, Halo 3, COD4, LBP, Killzone 2, Gears, Resistance, etc.

It's a big franchise, but it isn't an exclusive either.

Wasn't there a $60 version with just the game available? Considering that there are nearly 2 million people who own the first one I consider these sales pretty disappointing. I wonder if the amazing DLC for RB made people less interested in spending money on a sequel.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oblivion said:
Btw, this thread's a ghost town. Did everyone's spirits finally get broken? :lol

The War is over. Now we're just left to pick at the dead carcasses on the battlefield.

TheOddOne

Nintendo responds to NPD data

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=5113
Unique Controls Put Wii at No. 1 for September NPD; Nintendo DS at No. 2

Backed by a variety of unique interfaces, Nintendo’s Wii™ console topped the U.S. video game hardware sales charts with nearly 687,000 units sold in September, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Nintendo DS™ was the No. 2 best-selling system, with nearly 537,000 sold.

Wii enjoyed the biggest monthly unit sales increase with 234,000 more units sold in September than August. Wii also saw a year-over-year increase of more than 37 percent over September 2007.

Four games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10 best-selling games of the month, including Wii Fit™ at No. 2 with nearly 518,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 4 with more than 353,000 sold, Wii Play™ at No. 7 with nearly 243,000 sold and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for Wii at No. 8 with more than 223,000 sold.

“The four Wii games in the top 10 all feature controls just not possible on other video game systems,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The Wii Balance Board and Wii Wheel give players new ways to interact with their games, while the Wii Remote controller transforms into a pool cue, table tennis paddle or lightsaber. Consumers have truly responded to this variety of entertainment options.”

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
WarLox said:

The last 9 (nine) months for the Wii have not only been the best 9 month period for a console... they've also been the best 10 month period, by a margin of 800,000 units.

Wii, 9 months (2008): ~5,177,000
PS2, 10 months (2002): ~4,420,000.

If next month is the same supply as this month, the Wii will pass the best 11 month run of a console ever. The Wii is on track to beat the best year of any console ever by around a million units, if not more.

As of right now, Nintendo is running the hundred meter dash in 8 seconds. Your claim is that they can do it in 6.

Gaborn

WarLox said:

This is september NPD, Nintendo is starting their holiday ramp up. it's more to do with time of year than anything. More consumers are going to be looking in september (and october, november, and December) than the rest of the year so you're going to put more units on the shelves. Considering that a "normal" shipment would have resulted in a 200k or so victory for Nintendo, and considering NPD had been reporting for a while that Nintendo was looking at bringing online more production.... I don't buy it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The Wii HD will be an unstoppable juggernaut. Nintendo was brilliant with their decision to forgo HD this time around, and they're reaping the rewards. Just think how cheap HD televisions will be in 2010/11.

TheOddOne

Sony Responds To NPD Results

http://www.thebitbag.com/2008/10/16/sony-responds-to-npd-results/

PS3 Sales Setting the Stage for a Solid Holiday Season; Total PlayStation Sales Up 20 Percent Year-Over-Year
PlayStation 3 Hardware Unit Sales Top 232,408
PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) again experienced consistent momentum in September 2008, with 232,408 hardware units sold according to The NPD Group, an increase of over 94% year-over-year and an increase of more than 25% over the previous month. Additionally, software sales for PS3 experienced year-over-year growth of 130% with 1.72 million units sold.
Software sales are expected to continue their upward projection in October as SCEA kicks off the holiday season with the highly anticipated launches of LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, and NBA ’09: The Inside.
PlayStation®Network remained a popular destination with newly added games and entertainment content such as WipEout HD, Linger in Shadows and PAIN: Amusement Park. There are currently more than 12 million registered accounts worldwide and over 240 million pieces of content have been downloaded worldwide.
PSP also experienced strong sales, with 238,056 hardware units sold.
Fueled by enthusiasm for the limited-edition LEGO Batman: The Videogame PlayStation®2(PS2) Pack, PS2 generated solid sales in September, with 173,527 hardware units sold, 20% growth from last month. An impressive 42.9 million PS2s have been sold in the U.S. as of September 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio
The PlayStation brand experienced strong sales across all three platforms, earning $379 million in September.
Year-to-date (Jan-Sept), the PlayStation brand has generated $4.03 billion in revenue, representing an increase of 20% year-over-year.
PlayStation total hardware revenue was $160.5 million in September, representing a year-to-year growth of 11%.
PlayStation total software revenue in September was $180 million, representing a year-to-year growth of 17%.

CEO Perspective

“We remain confident that our footing is solid as we enter the holiday season this year. Our new 80GB PS3 model has made its way to retail shelves and into consumers’ living rooms as the best value for both their gaming and entertainment needs. If the impressive pre-sale numbers and ratings for LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, and Resistance 2 are any indication, we anticipate hardware and software sales to continue to lift in October as we officially kick off the broadest and deepest software line-up this holiday, including LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and NBA ’09: The Inside.

- Jack Tretton, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
schuelma said:
The War is over. Now we're just left to pick at the dead carcasses on the battlefield.

Pretty much. For sales it's a Wii > 360 > PS3 world. Now which console has the best games... this will keep GAF burning forever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RSTEIN said:
:lol Come on... I think Dyack has had enough. No sense in kicking him even further. It's a fact now after this month's NDP that Too Human is not only a critical failure but also a sales failure. That would break a lot of people. Let's move on ;)
NO ITS NOT IT WILL PROBABLY HIT A MILLION IN AMERICA /delusional nuttos

Vesperia. :(

Fantastic hardware numbers for Nintendo, pretty disappointing for MS and Sony though. However, software is much more even which is nice to see. Force Unleashed is a beast.

I'm hoping we get some de Blob, Wario, Infinite and DQ numbers if possible.

GPsych said:
This is probably because things appear to be relatively set now. We haven't had anything truly unexpected in quite a while so most of the drama is gone. Looks like people are starting to accept the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions in the U.S. I think most of us on NeoGAF have known how it will end for long time in an intellectual sense, but now it's starting to internalize.

-G

Yeah, it looks like the positions of the three companies won't change for a while so it makes the threads not that interesting. Nothing really exciting here. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions aren't changing any time soon especially if Sony doesn't drop the price this year.

It's like going into a media create thread and seeing the Wii/DS/PSP combo of sales. They are predictable and hence boring. That's why everyone gets shit excited over the two systems fighting over the scraps on the floor in those threads.

Davidion

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, pretty slow.

No trolls are in here.

Also no gifs, this is no fun.

Indeed, indeed.

However, do you appreciate gifs of funnies and random gaggle of cute Asian girls? I appreciate gifs of funnies and random gaggle of cute Asian girls. Let's watch some gifs of funnies and random gaggle of cute Asian girls.

Mama Robotnik said:
npdcop1.gif

RBH said:

WrikaWrek

Banned
but that now what people are saying, they are.....you know what,just forget it.

MS WINS! FLAWLESS VICTORY in WRIKA WORLD!!!

So basically, you didn't have anything to say?

okrim said:
Er 360 last year sell more or less how the ps3 man...so it's same shit?

Not even sure if that's true, but fact of the matter is PS3 ain't in some time vacuum where it's competing last years 360 numbers today, no, it's competing today with the other two consoles, 360 and Wii. Wii is just balls out nuts, so not even worth comparing.

Another interesting thing to note, only one Ps3 title in the top 10, and it sold half of what the 360 version of the same game did.

We can say "Wow Ps3 didn't get trashed as much as i thought it would" but at the end of the day we are just saying "I was kinda expecting the PS3 to be put in a coma, but apparently it's still awake, pretty impressing".

Top Bottom