• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

Guy Legend

Wonder what the breakdown of XB360 sku sales are.

Previously, MS has said:
60% pro
20% elite
20% arcade

My guess is that the arcade sales distribution went up, but it's not that desirable a system and may not go a longs way to drive XB360 sales as some might expect.

CoilShot

People who are shocked about mario kart. I went to Toys'R'us this week for the B2G1 sale and the salesperson said, "We sold all 50 copies we got yesterday within a few hours." Keep in mind I don't live in a major city either :lol

FrankT

Karma said:
114,000 is too close? Give me a fucking break. :lol :lol

:lol

Long gone are the days of, "maybe they finally fixed RROD comments". Shifting the talking points now. Of course, the year of the PS3 talk at 150k YTD lead 2 months before Christmas with a $200 price point difference those talking points are not looking too pretty at this point either.

CoilShot said:
People who are shocked about mario kart. I went to Toys'R'us this week for the B2G1 sale and the salesperson said, "We sold all 50 copies we got yesterday within a few hours." Keep in mind I don't live in a major city either :lol

Amazing

DMeisterJ

Banned
Davidion said:
Indeed, indeed.

However, do you appreciate gifs of funnies and random gaggle of cute Asian girls? I appreciate gifs of funnies and random gaggle of cute Asian girls. Let's watch some gifs of funnies and random gaggle of cute Asian girls.

The Asian girls are pretty funny.

lol.

womfalcs3

Banned
Sony will cut the price next year.

This holiday season they'll rely on blu-ray movies (Dark Knight), LBP, and Resistance 2.

Oblivion said:
Btw, this thread's a ghost town. Did everyone's spirits finally get broken? :lol
Sales numbers make fanboys cry, so they get around the problem by pretending they don't care about sales - it's about the games, stupid. Which, coincidentally, is a good attitude to have. After all, they're just consumer products and the games they like will indeed still be made.

You'll note though, that this thread's view to post ratio shows that they in fact, do care, but they're just not posting out of fear of embarrassment or having their previous triumphant prediction posts rubbed in their faces. Only the bravest
(stupidest)
fanboys dare to come in here spinning the numbers now.

There are a few who secretly or not-so-secretly hold out hope that one game will come along and turn things around, in spite of all the evidence and past experience to the contrary. Many of them used to sport FFXIII, Killzone or MGS4 avatars and are currently wearing the LBP warpaint. They're silently waiting for the numbers to come in that will vindicate them, so that they can make their triumphant return, but will remain silent if the numbers are not in their favour.

Which won't stop the spinning and meltdowns by the crazier fanboys, of course.

TheOddOne

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Sales numbers make fanboys cry, so they get around the problem by pretending they don't care about sales - it's about the games, stupid. Which, coincidentally, is a good attitude to have. After all, they're just consumer products and the games they like will indeed still be made.

You'll note though, that this thread's view to post ratio shows that they in fact, do care, but they're just not posting out of fear of embarrassment or having their previous triumphant prediction posts rubbed in their faces. Only the bravest
(stupidest)

There are a few who secretly or not-so-secretly hold out hope that one game will come along and turn things around, in spite of all the evidence and past experience to the contrary. Many of them used to sport FFXIII, Killzone or MGS4 avatars and are currently wearing the LBP warpaint. They're silently waiting for the numbers to come in that will vindicate them, so that they can make their triumphant return, but will remain silent if the numbers are not in their favour.

This kinda makes sense :D

PSGames

PS3 sold 1.7 Million games last month. 360 sold 1.5Million in the top 10 alone... I would love to have a total software breakdown for the month.

DMeisterJ

Banned

(stupidest)

My god, you are a Vicious Killer Squirrel

That post has too much win in it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So it looks like MK Wii, SSBB, and Wii Fit are gonna breach 10 million WW, but will SMG get there? Its likely around 6-7 million right now...will it have the legs?

You'll note though, that this thread's view to post ratio shows that they in fact, do care

Actually i subscribe to the point of view you outlined, its just that i cant buy fable 2 yet so i am bored and hoped that to find some hilarity in this sadly lacking thread.

Gaborn

Woo hoo, I just decided to double check (since I didn't want to nail myself like some people did :lol :lol :lol ) and I did REALLY well this month, overestimating the DS a little, and underestimating the Wii (then again, who didn't?)

iceatcs

(stupidest)

So much win

Private Hoffman's Predictions

[360] 300k
[NDS] 600k
[PS2] 160k
[PS3] 220k
[PSP] 250k
[WII] 520k

Private Hoffman said:
The funniest thing about all of this is how the 360's price drop didn't effect PS2 sales much.

I was expecting the 199 Arcade to cut into the PS2's sales at 129....but apparently not.

Ridiculous Wii sales for the month. 360 sales, while decent, clearly show that the price drop isn't going to propel them into the stratosphere anytime soon.
"Decent" X360 sales for September were still up 78.1% instead of the 53.8% month-over-month that Hoffman was predicting. (Week-over-week adjustments = 42.4% increase instead of a predicted 23.1% increase).

The week-over-week increase was almost twice what Hoffman was expecting and only rates as "decent"?

PS2 lowball guess was only off by 13,500K. That doesn't strike me as outright hilarious. PS2 is still the cheapest system on the market and boasts one hell of a software library. That won't change anytime soon.

(stupidest)

Nicely stated but at this point it's all about price cuts. And yes, Sony needs one THIS year.

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Sony will cut the price next year.

This holiday season they'll rely on blu-ray movies (Dark Knight), LBP, and Resistance 2.

Those movies will really help sell the new $229 Blu-Ray players.

Jtyettis said:

Long gone are the days of, "maybe they finally fixed RROD comments". Shifting the talking points now. Of course, the year of the PS3 talk at 150k YTD lead 2 months before Christmas with a $200 price point difference those talking points are not looking too pretty at this point either.

Amazing

Didn't you hear, the year of the PS3 was delayed until 2009... something about not having enough blue diodes or something.

Pretty expected hardware numbers all around.

Surprised that no one is talking about Force Unleashed pulling a Madden in terms of platform order.

And it's hard to surmise why LucasArts let the dev team go after they made such a massive hit.

Frillen

(stupidest)

:lol :lol :lol

True. I haven't seen anyone with LBP avatars in this thread. :lol

Nizz

Who the hell are still buying so many Wii's? And PS3 wasn't completely slaughtered by the 360 price drop. I think next month'll be very interesting...

It does amuse me to watch the 360 / PS3 fans going after each other when the Wii is doing the equivalent of having a threesome with both their wives while they're too busy to notice. :D

Loudninja

MassiveAttack said:
Nicely stated but at this point it's all about price cuts. And yes, Sony needs one THIS year.

Dont count on a price drop this year,the best you will get is a LBP bundle that is slightly cheaper.

MIMIC

Banned
Psychotext said:
It does amuse me to watch the 360 / PS3 fans going after each other when the Wii is doing the equivalent of having a threesome with both their wives while they're too busy to notice. :D

TheOddOne

Microsoft Responds To NPD Results

http://www.thebitbag.com/2008/10/16/microsoft-responds-to-npd-results/
347,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in September following our U.S. price cut on Sept. 5 contributing to a U.S. install base of 11.3 million (September NPD data). Xbox 360 is now the most affordable next generation console on the market—$50 less than the Wii and half the price of the PlayStation 3.

Backed by September sales data, which showed $326 million in total consumer spend in the U.S. and a record software attach rate of 8.1 (September NPD data), we know Xbox 360 owners will continue to flex their buying power in the coming weeks when blockbusters like “Gears of War 2,” “Lips,” “Fable II,” “You’re in the Movies” and “Scene It? Box Office Smash” hit shelves.

Xbox 360 is the preferred stage for this holiday’s hottest music games

New music tracks for popular games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero extend every music experience so every party feels like a new party. Xbox LIVE has delivered more than 80% of the downloadable songs for music games, currently averaging 3.8 million music downloads per month. In total, Xbox 360 users have enjoyed more than 45 million music downloads. (Microsoft internal data)

In addition to leading the online music game market, Xbox 360 sells more copies of the world’s favorite music franchises. To date this generation, in the U.S., nearly 2 million copies of the Rock Band franchise have sold on the Xbox 360, almost 1 million more than the competition combined. Life-to-date sales of the Guitar Hero franchise on Xbox 360 top 4 million, securing more than 50% of franchise sales this generation (September NPD data).

“Rock Band 2” debuts exclusively on Xbox 360

· Since its U.S. launch on Sept. 14, “Rock Band 2” on the Xbox 360 sold 363,000 copies in September, making it September’s #3 selling game.

· This holiday, Xbox 360 will continue to sell more third-party games like “Rock Band 2” than the competition. In September alone, Xbox 360 generated $167 million in third party game sales.

Calling all shower singers, wanna-be rappers and pop princesses – “Lips” hits the stage in November

· “Lips” will have music fans singing their favorite tunes this holiday season as this totally new singing IP lands around the globe. “Lips” lets people sing the music they want with breakthrough wireless motion-sensitive microphones, backed by master tracks and original music videos. “Lips” hits in mid-November, exclusively for Xbox 360 from Microsoft and iNiS.

“Guitar Hero® World Tour” drops on Oct. 26 with a cooperative band experience, newly redesigned controllers and in-game Music Studio music creator

· “Guitar Hero World Tour” launches on Oct. 26. Xbox 360 gamers worldwide have early access to an R.E.M. track pack featuring three songs from the band’s new album, and Metallica’s highly anticipated full-length album, “Death Magnetic,” was offered to music fans around the world as downloadable content on Xbox LIVE in its entirety on the same day the record was released.

At the Tokyo Game Show last week we announced that the New Xbox Experience will launch worldwide on Nov. 19. For the first time in the history of the internet, 14 million consumers across 24 countries will all tune in at the same time to watch their Xbox 360 completely reinvent itself, for free, with the New Xbox Experience.

From the best music games and blockbuster titles, to LIVE Parties, photo sharing and access to a movie and TV show library 30,000 deep through the New Xbox Experience, Xbox 360 has something for everyone this holiday.

I think this month's sales numbers proves that the wii's price point isn't the sole reason why it's outselling the other consoles. I do wonder though what exactly is Sony's plan. With the 360 price drop and MS moving in on their market share in Japan, I just don't understand why Sony hasn't countered with a more aggressive plan. Or is 3rd place this console gen actually a profittable position to be in?

Psychotext said:

console sales != happiness.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, I didn't think the 360 would make it over 300k. :D

I should've figured with a 5 week month.

GPsych

I kind of wish that Michael Pachter had been correct in his prediction a couple of years back when he said that casual gamers would buy the Wii and eventually "upgrade" to a 360 or PS3 (At least, I think it was Pachter who said that). This has not yet appeared to be the case.

I had this sad experience today when I was shopping at Target. A guy in his mid to late 30s was in the Wii section with his 3 year-old son. When the sales clerk asked the guy if he was finding everything okay, he said, apparently in frustration, "I'm trying to find something good for the Wii. I've been playing Wall-E with my son here... and it's terrible. I mean it's just really horrible. Isn't there something good? Something where you can run around and just, do cool stuff?" The sales clerk mentioned that maybe the customer should look at the 360 or PS3, and the guy's response was, "Yeah, my wife won't let me have one. She thinks they're bad for the kid. I can pretty much only get Wii games." He then took his son by the hand and left the video game aisle, sad and defeated.

-G

Rocksteady33

GPsych said:
I kind of wish that Michael Pachter had been correct in his prediction a couple of years back when he said that casual gamers would buy the Wii and eventually "upgrade" to a 360 or PS3 (At least, I think it was Pachter who said that). This has not yet appeared to be the case.

I had this sad experience today when I was shopping at Target. A guy in his mid to late 30s was in the Wii section with his 3 year-old son. When the sales clerk asked the guy if he was finding everything okay, he said, apparently in frustration, "I'm trying to find something good for the Wii. I've been playing Wall-E with my son here... and it's terrible. I mean it's just really horrible. Isn't there something good? Something where you can run around and just, do cool stuff?" The sales clerk mentioned that maybe the customer should look at the 360 or PS3, and the guy's response was, "Yeah, my wife won't let me have one. She thinks they're bad for the kid. I can pretty much only get Wii games." He then took his son by the hand and left the video game aisle, sad and defeated.

-G

Maybe if he went on GAF he would KNOW the good games.

Top Bottom