• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

DMeisterJ

Banned
Paracelsus said:
KZ2 is almost a sure hit, if not hardware, at least software. It is pretty much a safe bet.

Unlike LBP.

Hit yes, but will it be the one game that vindicates them?

[I won't predict, I've learned my lesson :lol]

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
GPsych said:
I kind of wish that Michael Pachter had been correct in his prediction a couple of years back when he said that casual gamers would buy the Wii and eventually "upgrade" to a 360 or PS3 (At least, I think it was Pachter who said that). This has not yet appeared to be the case.

I had this sad experience today when I was shopping at Target. A guy in his mid to late 30s was in the Wii section with his 3 year-old son. When the sales clerk asked the guy if he was finding everything okay, he said, apparently in frustration, "I'm trying to find something good for the Wii. I've been playing Wall-E with my son here... and it's terrible. I mean it's just really horrible. Isn't there something good? Something where you can run around and just, do cool stuff?" The sales clerk mentioned that maybe the customer should look at the 360 or PS3, and the guy's response was, "Yeah, my wife won't let me have one. She thinks they're bad for the kid. I can pretty much only get Wii games." He then took his son by the hand and left the video game aisle, sad and defeated.

-G

It's a tough world out there man.

I hope you can make it ok. :(

Opiate

Gully State said:
I think this month's sales numbers proves that the wii's price point isn't the sole reason why it's outselling the other consoles. I do wonder though what exactly is Sony's plan. With the 360 price drop and MS moving in on their market share in Japan, I just don't understand why Sony hasn't countered with a more aggressive plan. Or is 3rd place this console gen actually a profittable position to be in?

When people ask this, I ask them: what should Sony do?

Cut Price? They can't. They've already lost 3 billion dollars getting the PS3 out the door. You can't just keep bleeding massive amounts of money.

Furthermore, the entire company is hurting -- it's still profitable, mind you, but profits were cut in half YoY last quarter, and the continued economic recession won't benefit their high end, high margin electronic luxury products like HDTVs and digitical cameras, let alone the low margin products like Blu Ray.

The money has already been spent. There isn't any more. The PS3 has to stand on its own two feet now, and that means no price cuts until it's actually a fiscally responsible decision.

GPsych said:
I had this sad experience today when I was shopping at Target. A guy in his mid to late 30s was in the Wii section with his 3 year-old son. When the sales clerk asked the guy if he was finding everything okay, he said, apparently in frustration, "I'm trying to find something good for the Wii. I've been playing Wall-E with my son here... and it's terrible. I mean it's just really horrible. Isn't there something good? Something where you can run around and just, do cool stuff?" The sales clerk mentioned that maybe the customer should look at the 360 or PS3, and the guy's response was, "Yeah, my wife won't let me have one. She thinks they're bad for the kid. I can pretty much only get Wii games." He then took his son by the hand and left the video game aisle, sad and defeated.

-G

Sony: We do what Wii can't. Like letting you run around and do cool stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GPsych said:
I kind of wish that Michael Pachter had been correct in his prediction a couple of years back when he said that casual gamers would buy the Wii and eventually "upgrade" to a 360 or PS3 (At least, I think it was Pachter who said that). This has not yet appeared to be the case.

-G

Wonderful story you got there

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
dialmydrive said:
Sept:
TH = 34K
Ves = 37K
70K in 1.25 months! Not bad for a Tales game at all. :D

Shame about DQIV, hopefully it does better in the coming months.

Threi

notag
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Sales numbers make fanboys cry, so they get around the problem by pretending they don't care about sales - it's about the games, stupid. Which, coincidentally, is a good attitude to have. After all, they're just consumer products and the games they like will indeed still be made.

You'll note though, that this thread's view to post ratio shows that they in fact, do care, but they're just not posting out of fear of embarrassment or having their previous triumphant prediction posts rubbed in their faces. Only the bravest
(stupidest)
fanboys dare to come in here spinning the numbers now.

There are a few who secretly or not-so-secretly hold out hope that one game will come along and turn things around, in spite of all the evidence and past experience to the contrary. Many of them used to sport FFXIII, Killzone or MGS4 avatars and are currently wearing the LBP warpaint. They're silently waiting for the numbers to come in that will vindicate them, so that they can make their triumphant return, but will remain silent if the numbers are not in their favour.

Which won't stop the spinning and meltdowns by the crazier fanboys, of course.
Vicious? *looks at post* Check.
Killer? *reads post* Check.
Squirrel? *looks at avatar* Check.

360 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 1 610K
PS3 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 5 325K
WII STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 9 223K
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but here's people's answer so they can stop whining about why the Wii gets less third-party big budget "core" game development in the West.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Zophar said:
LBP may not make a huge splash right away but you can bet your ass it's going to have killer legs.

Yeah, I would think that LBP would not have the hugest launch week/month, but be on the charts longer. Especially if Sony is smart and bundles the game with a PS3, or does like SCEJ and bundle it with a DS3.

GPsych

HK-47 said:
Wonderful story you got there

It was really just the level of desperation in the guy's tone - it was like he was telling a story about being homeless and losing his job or something. Particularly when he was telling the clerk about Wall-E. It was like someone had captured the guy and forced him to play it nonstop for two years. The Wii was killing him!!! :lol

-G

MassiveAttack said:
Nicely stated but at this point it's all about price cuts. And yes, Sony needs one THIS year.
Honestly, price cuts in the past haven't produce sustained console sales for second or third placed consoles at all. The Xbox and Gamecube both got several pricecuts over the course of their lifetimes, but it didn't really help at all. Especially not the Gamecube.

I don't think the problem is one of price. Price helped establish perceptions in the beginning, but these associations with each brand now seem to have been set in stone. I think the problem is simply one of demand.

dyls

GPsych said:

-G

Because the PS3 and 360 versions of Wall-E were so amazing? All systems have bad games, you know.

Gitaroo Man said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but here's people's answer so they can stop whining about why the Wii gets less third-party big budget "core" game development in the West.

You think those ratios will be the same come January?

GitarooMan said:

I'd wait and see what happens next month.

J-Rzez

Rather weaker numbers than I expected from the 360, the system is really affordable now, I'm really surprised it didn't pick up way more than it did. Still good numbers, but was thinking quite a bit higher. It should hopefully do much better come finally holiday tally.

Sony is lucky to have the PS2 and PSP sales to compliment the PS3. I would hope this is a clear indication to hit with a solid price drop sometime soon, though they would like to not do such until next year. I think they need to bite the bullet a little harder and drop the price on the machine ahead of schedule, otherwise it's going to get smoked come final holiday tallies. The software is really getting there, there's big movies hitting blu-ray, a price drop would probably push a bit of people over the edge to pick up a PS3 that maybe on the fence.

Nintendo can seemingly do no wrong, other than to the hardcore gamers. Machine's selling like crazy still, though there's really no big hardcore releases, so it has to be the gotta have it hip-casuals and parents buying for way younger kids yet.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GitarooMan said:

So a shitty version of a poor game with crappy tack on controls = base case for no third party support?

Awesome man

DMeisterJ

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
People are starting to come out with the "wait for the Dark Knight Bluray" line now.

Can't believe its come to this :lol

It's a shame it's come that far.

And wouldn't that help the upcoming $150 BD Player better? @_@

HK-47 said:
So a shitty version of a poor game with crappy tack on controls = base case for no third party support?

Awesome man
The game scored essentially the same on all three platforms so that excuse and/or damage control doesn't work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kagari said:
Pretty much.

Vesperia did not.

70k omg bomba

except...

tales of the world <50k
tales of legendia <75k
tales of the abyss <75k
tales of phantasia <50k

Of course, Tales of Symphonia Wii is going to bend Vesperia over backwards (Tales of Symphonia, >400k)

dyls said:
Because the PS3 and 360 versions of Wall-E were so amazing? All systems have bad games, you know.

But let's be honest, as good as the good Wii games are, the ratio of gold to shit is pretty bad.

It's kind of become a victim of it's own success when it comes to the shovelware.

DeadGzuz

Banned
360 fans are celebrating 330K after the magic $199 price, during the spike of the cut? Wow.

Pointing at the PS3, the $400 console, isn't going to make 330K look better.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
GitarooMan said:

Considering that the Wii version was pretty clearly a late add on, I'd say Lucas Arts is probably pleased.

Did you say the same thing when another Star Wars game actually did the best on Wii?

Sadist

GPsych said:

-G
:lol

Zophar said:
LBP may not make a huge splash right away but you can bet your ass it's going to have killer legs.

I think LittleBigPlanet will do incredibly well

All I'm saying is that KZ2 will definitely be a hit. It's in a class of its own, high above the rest, IMHO.

Those expecting KZ1 redux prepare to eat crow.

FrankT

DeadGzuz said:
360 fans are celebrating 330K after the magic $199 price, during the spike of the cut? Wow.

Pointing at the PS3, the $400 console, isn't going to make 330K look better.

Off just a wee bit there hehe.

Opiate

I don't think Gitaroo's example proves his position, but it certainly supports it. Proof would require a much larger sample size.

Dirtbag

DS... just sick.
What have they sold to date (DS) in the US alone, and worldwide? (across all models of course).

Who is left to even by them that doesnt already own one>

schuelma said:
Considering that the Wii version was pretty clearly a late add on, I'd say Lucas Arts is probably pleased.

Did you say the same thing when another Star Wars game actually did the best on Wii?
As I said above, denigrating the Wii version is meaningless since it scored essentially the same across all platforms (and even scored higher at IGN).

Banned
GPsych said:

-G
:lol you are so full of shit

Top Bottom