• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire is gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the chapter in SOS where
the northern army is massacred by the Frey's. I am in disbelief. Not just because of what happened, but the manner that it happened. You knew something was going to go wrong but...Holy shit. I can barely believe it. It's like Martin created the Starks solely to exhume torture and terrible things upon the family. Wow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
the northern army is massacred by the Frey's. I am in disbelief. Not just because of what happened, but the manner that it happened. You knew something was going to go wrong but...Holy shit. I can barely believe it. It's like Martin created the Starks solely to exhume torture and terrible things upon the family. Wow.

Yusss!! Tell us how you really feel!

GhaleonEB

Just started a Storm of Swords. Got a kick out of
Mance's
introduction.

I'm told the novel picks up fast, but it's been slow going so far. Still setting things up.

rando14

Bwahahahaha

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Haha you have no idea. I can't wait to see the TV thread after that happens lol

Defyler

anyoe know when the next book has a tentative release date?

tkwV346.gif

I'm killing myself for rushing through the books so quickly. I can only subsist on fan theories of characters for so long....

TCRS

Banned
Haha you have no idea. I can't wait to see the TV thread after that happens lol

Am I the only one who feels that these kind of posts are spoilers?
They raise expectations, you know more/worse is coming. They greatly alter the reading experience imo because you are just waiting for the next big boom. I personally don't want to know that there is another big thing coming. I want to discover it, be shocked by it WHILE reading. I don't know but I think I'd be pretty pissed after reading these kind of comments if I hadn't read the books already (not only yours, in general).

Am I the only one who feels that these kind of posts are spoilers?
They raise expectations, you know more/worse is coming. They greatly alter the reading experience imo because you are just waiting for the next big boom. I personally don't want to know that there is another big thing coming. I want to discover it, be shocked by it WHILE reading. I don't know but I think I'd be pretty pissed after reading these kind of comments if I hadn't read the books already (not only yours, in general).

If it makes you feel any better, I knew something big was coming. I even knew what the event would be referred to as. I just didn't know what exactly would happen. I speculated myself as to what it would be. And when it happened I was still devastated. So you'll be fine.

On an unrelated note...

I didn't care that Catelyn died. I have wanted her dead for a while. But seeing her own son's death through her eyes before her own...And the way it happened...And the fact that Robb had been one of the most "just" and noble characters in the series...Christ. It was Robb's death that shocked me, not Catelyn's. But her point of view and the way it unfolded that made it so insane.

Atsumi

I started like the OP (albeit years later) and took me forever to get past the first chapter (I read it probably 5 times) but now I can't stop.

I just wish I was a faster reader because I'm only half way through book 2. Definitely want to finish book 3 before I start season 3.

Joe

Finished book 2, quarter way through book 3.

is it ever eplained why
theon was fooled so easily when he thought he killed bran and rickon? it seems to me he should have known better. simple yes or no is fine.

also:
what is jon? why does he get the vision with the eagle? are him and bran the same?

Finished book 2, quarter way through book 3.

is it ever eplained why
theon was fooled so easily when he thought he killed bran and rickon? it seems to me he should have known better. simple yes or no is fine.

also:
what is jon? why does he get the vision with the eagle? are him and bran the same?

Can't really do a yes or no on this one, but basically Theon knew the children he was skinning were not Bran and Rickon.

Second question: There will be a lot more of this in the third book and going forward.

Joe

ok thanks!

is it just me or are the books really confusing? i get lost in all the various households, miscellaneous named characters, the different mind games and politics being played. i feel like i read a chapter then have to read the summary on a wiki and still sometimes it doesn't completely sink in. still enjoyable though.

ok thanks!

is it just me or are the books really confusing? i get lost in all the various households, miscellaneous named characters, the different mind games and politics being played. i feel like i read a chapter then have to read the summary on a wiki and still sometimes it doesn't completely sink in. still enjoyable though.

With so many characters and so much going on it's certainly easy to get a bit overwhelmed. If you ever decide to reread the series, you'll notice a lot of new stuff you missed the first time.

Dany

Banned

YES YES. Give me your tears!

Joe

I've been reading A Storm of Swords and
holy crap @ Edmure's "wedding" and Joffrey's wedding. Up until these points I thought the book wasn't exactly going to make an entertaining TV season although I assume season 3 episode 10 will end with Arya's death.

Still got about 25% left to go in the book.

rando14

I've been reading A Storm of Swords and
holy crap @ Edmure's "wedding" and Joffrey's wedding. Up until these points I thought the book wasn't exactly going to make an entertaining TV season although I assume season 3 episode 10 will end with Arya's death.

Still got about 25% left to go in the book.

Can't wait until the show gets to this part

TCRS

Banned
Fuck.
i thought arya died!

[ASOS]
I guess everyone thought that at that point. I was like fuck this and put the book away. It was too much, it took me a long time to process what happened. fucking GRRM lol.

[ASOS]
I guess everyone thought that at that point. I was like fuck this and put the book away. It was too much, it took me a long time to process what happened. fucking GRRM lol.

ASOS
I'm actually kind of surprised that most people seem to have thought that she was dead. Naturally that's the first thing you'd think happened given the way it was written, but I remember my second immediate thought being that it makes no sense for the Hound to kill her and was pretty sure that he just hit her with the flat of the blade.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
I'm actually kind of surprised that most people seem to have thought that she was dead. Naturally that's the first thing you'd think happened given the way it was written, but I remember my second immediate thought being that it makes no sense for the Hound to kill her and was pretty sure that he just hit her with the flat of the blade.

ASOS:
Same here. I didn't think for a second that Arya was dead. Honestly, not many of the ASOS deaths came as a surprise, it was the method of the death that shocked me. Rob not ever being a POV character in the books, and really totally disappearing from the narrative once the war starts (really only hearing secondhand what he's doing) clued me in that he was not long for this world. Still, the manner of his death came out of nowhere. Similarly with Jeoffrey, I knew the little prick would get it in the end, I didn't expect it so soon though.

I will admit that Tywin's death and manner of death took me by surprise.

Ovid

I remember when this thread was created and now I'm actually posting in it.

I finished Books 1 and 2 and I must say I love the series so far. I'm waiting for Season 3 of the show to start before heading into Book 3.

GhaleonEB

So. ASOS, about 250 pages in.

I've just read Sam's first chapter, where
it recaps what happens after the camp at First Fist is attacked. And I remain deeply confused about the differences between the Others and the undead/wights. In the prologue, the horn is blown three times, and we're told three horn blows is for the Others.

In the recap of the events after in Sam's chapter, they're sort of shambling undead, glowing blue eyes, etc. Not Others, but called wights. These guys take a beating and keep on going.

Then later in the chapter Sam runs into an actual Other, riding an undead horse, and he kills it with a dagger in the throat. The Other then melts, wicked witch-style.

Can someone, without spoiler major later plot points, tell me what the hell is up with these things? I'm three books in and I have no idea what the differences is or what their relationships are between these Others and the wights. It's clearly really important, but they're used interchangeably but are clearly different.

Blatz

So. ASOS, about 250 pages in.

I've just read Sam's first chapter, where
it recaps what happens after the camp at First Fist is attacked. And I remain deeply confused about the differences between the Others and the undead/wights. In the prologue, the horn is blown three times, and we're told three horn blows is for the Others.

In the recap of the events after in Sam's chapter, they're sort of shambling undead, glowing blue eyes, etc. Not Others, but called wights. These guys take a beating and keep on going.

Then later in the chapter Sam runs into an actual Other, riding an undead horse, and he kills it with a dagger in the throat. The Other then melts, wicked witch-style.

Can someone, without spoiler major later plot points, tell me what the hell is up with these things? I'm three books in and I have no idea what the differences is or what their relationships are between these Others and the wights. It's clearly really important, but they're used interchangeably but are clearly different.

Go here and at the top center set your "books read" scope filter appropriately. It's not 100% clear differentiation, but it helps.

http://towerofthehand.com/reference/k/01778/index.html

GhaleonEB

Thanks, that was what I needed. I read down to the first line on the A Storm of Swords section.
So the wights are thralls of the Others. That's what I didn't understand. A Storm of Swords used them in a confusing way; the three horn blows signal Others, but then they're attacked by wights, as if they were the same. When they are clearly not. That lost me.

Appreciated guys.

Thanks, that was what I needed. I read down to the first line on the A Storm of Swords section.
So the wights are thralls of the Others. That's what I didn't understand. A Storm of Swords used them in a confusing way; the three horn blows signal Others, but then they're attacked by wights, as if they were the same. When they are clearly not. That lost me.

Appreciated guys.

About the horns
Think about what the horn call for "wildlings" includes. Not just free-folk, but everything else, Thenns, giants, Hornfoots, etc. Same for the "Rangers" horn call, it includes any NW in general. Its more like a faction call instead of unit type.

GhaleonEB

About the horns
Think about what the horn call for "wildlings" includes. Not just free-folk, but everything else, Thenns, giants, Hornfoots, etc. Same for the "Rangers" horn call, it includes any NW in general. Its more like a faction call instead of unit type.

I understand, I just
didn't know if the wights and Others were in the same faction.
I'm good now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Currently 1/3 though A Feast For Crows.

Sure it's been mentioned before, but the Audiobooks took a notable turn with this book due to bringing Dotrice back after so many years. But it is still good stuff.

I love Cersei's paranoia.

Soon I will be able to enter the big boy thread!

GhaleonEB

ASoS, 2/3 of the way through.

Finally got to the
Red Wedding,
which I had heard about much without knowing any specifics. It's put me in a sour mood, but the more I think on it the more cheered I get.
I've been actively rooting for Catlyn's death from the moment she stood up and abducted Tyrion in that inn back in book 1. She started a war, which led directly to her husband's death and the sacking of her home town, and the slaughter of her people. Then she releases her son's only captive of value, which enabled his ambush and her own demise. I suppose it's fitting that she finally fucked up enough to get herself killed.

I've never hated a leading character as much as her.

Of course, googling her name to make sure I spelled it right, I find she get resurrected soon. Which is so, so stupid. There goes my gladness.

I have not enjoyed A Storm of Swords. The plot lines are incredibly wandering; GRRM had no idea what to do with Arya, she's wandered aimlessly for two books now. Bran's story is equally boring, and Jaime's wandering is starting to mirror Arya's. None of those plot threads have been interesting at all, the just sort of lurch along. Daenerys' story is better, but her chapters feel more like an intermission due to the total separation between the narrative threads. I assume they close as some point but the way things are going it'll all end up one big troll by GRRM and she'll accidentally burn her own ship down in crossing and drown.

Regarding Robb.
I was originally kind of pissed about his death and the slaughter of his army. But I don't feel like I really got to know him as a character. He wasn't a POV, and we never really had insight into him, just the (often wrong) observations from her fuckwad of a mother.

I figured he'd die soon, since GRRM's MO seems to be to skullfuck every borderline likable character. I figure Tyrion is up next at this rate.

I'll finish Storm of Swords. Not sure I'll keep going though, there's no real enjoyment to be had. It's just a gauntlet of misery and the only real questions I have are who gets fucked harder. Might just wiki the other two and then follow the HBO series.

Massa

ASoS, 2/3 of the way through.

Finally got to the
Red Wedding,
which I had heard about much without knowing any specifics. It's put me in a sour mood, but the more I think on it the more cheered I get.
I've been actively rooting for Catlyn's death from the moment she stood up and abducted Tyrion in that inn back in book 1. She started a war, which led directly to her husband's death and the sacking of her home town, and the slaughter of her people. Then she releases her son's only captive of value, which enabled his ambush and her own demise. I suppose it's fitting that she finally fucked up enough to get herself killed.

I've never hated a leading character as much as her.

Of course, googling her name to make sure I spelled it right, I find she get resurrected soon. Which is so, so stupid. There goes my gladness.

ASOS
Every fuck up she ever made can be quite easily justified by the fact that she's a mother.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A Feast For Crows is completed. It was certainly a bit long winded and not as exciting as the others. But overall, my biggest complaint is that Roy Dotrice had such a long wait between recording the audiobook for Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows that he forgot which voice was used for some characters. It's not that distracting, except for Peter, who went from a young sounding schemer, to a burly knight.

While It was fun watching Cersei descend into madness, it just went on too long. You knew she was heading for a brick wall, and I just wanted to to be done already. I hope it gets more interesting, because it felt a bit anticlimactic.

I could not care less about the Iron Islands plot lines. Hope it goes somewhere, but man is this a boring way to start it.

The Dorn plot line was boring up until the last bit where you hear about his plans.

Sam's getting to be pretty awesome.

Fuck Catelyn Stark. Even as a zombie she's an idiot, and now she can't be killed.

Arya continues to be awesome.

I don't believe that either of the Clegane's are really dead. I assume Qyburn is doing some wild stuff in the Dungeon's and cured him. And it seemed pretty obvious that Sandor was not "killed"

I hope Davos isn't dead. Not really for any love of the character, but because it would be very stupid for a character to just be killed in a secondhand story all of a sudden. I don't think he's dead though. He's in White Harbor, and I figure if Rickon and Osha were heading there, they must be pretty loyal to the Starks, even with them being pretty much wiped out.

I still have a tough time feeling sympathy for Jamie. I do love the arc his character has been going through, but I still think he's an asshole.

Sansa exists... and not much more.

Onwards to the last book!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Since the thread is already bumped, I might as well add that I will be starting the books in early May. The purchasing of the first book will be a bit of a reward for myself, for a job (hopefully) well done in the spring semester and something to keep my busy during my weeks off before summer classes begin. I began watching the series earlier this year, and I'm now currently caught up and pretty much loving every second of every episode. My goal is to finish at least two of the books before Fall term begins.

With that said, any recommendations/suggestions for a fan of the Game of Thrones TV series jumping into the books for the first time?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Since the thread is already bumped, I might as well add that I will be starting the books in early May. The purchasing of the first book will be a bit of a reward for myself, for a job (hopefully) well done in the spring semester and something to keep my busy during my weeks off before summer classes begin. I began watching the series earlier this year, and I'm now currently caught up and pretty much loving every second of every episode. My goal is to finish at least two of the books before Fall term begins.

With that said, any recommendations/suggestions for a fan of the Game of Thrones TV series jumping into the books for the first time?

I've found the audiobooks to be excellent if you think that would be easier. I drive a lot for work, so I find it lets me listen at a good pace.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone else enjoying the differences between show and books? So far it's all been well presented and provides surprises, which you wouldn't expect or get from a faithful adaptation.

Eidan

Anyone else enjoying the differences between show and books? So far it's all been well presented and provides surprises, which you wouldn't expect or get from a faithful adaptation.

I've enjoyed the changes so far. I honestly think the way the showrunners have been able to trim the fat on the books is impressive.

So, what do you guys think of starting the book after being caught up on all the seasons so far?

I want to stop watching the show and read the books first, but I feel like I'll just be wasting my time having to get caught up on the books, considering I know what happens until the latest episode that airs.

But apparently this is like a 7 part series, so eventually I'll be outpacing the show. I just wonder if it's worth the time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, what do you guys think of starting the book after being caught up on all the seasons so far?

I want to stop watching the show and read the books first, but I feel like I'll just be wasting my time having to get caught up on the books, considering I know what happens until the latest episode that airs.

But apparently this is like a 7 part series, so eventually I'll be outpacing the show. I just wonder if it's worth the time.

While I intentionally kept away from season 1 until finishing the first book, I do enjoy looking at the series, knowing what is coming.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Absolutely worth it, and the differences are fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom