• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire is gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if this is the correct thread for this post (there seems to be a lot of ASOIAF and Game of Thrones threads), but I just started reading this series recently. I'm on book two, but I'm finding it dreadfully slow. I'll continue reading it of course, but I wish there were more Daenerys chapters. I find her story to be more engrossing than those of anyone else, but there's only been one chapter devoted to her so far. Aside from certain characters (Arya mainly), it just seems like nothing's really happened in 300+ pages.

I guess my question is, what's the consensus on Clash of Kings? Do other people feel this way, or am I alone in my opinion? No spoilers please. Like I said, I fully plan on completing the rest of the series, but I hope the other books are far more enjoyable than this one.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dunno if this is the correct thread for this post (there seems to be a lot of ASOIAF and Game of Thrones threads), but I just started reading this series recently. I'm on book two, but I'm finding it dreadfully slow. I'll continue reading it of course, but I wish there were more Daenerys chapters. I find her story to be more engrossing than those of anyone else, but there's only been one chapter devoted to her so far. Aside from certain characters (Arya mainly), it just seems like nothing's really happened in 300+ pages.

I guess my question is, what's the consensus on Clash of Kings? Do other people feel this way, or am I alone in my opinion? No spoilers please. Like I said, I fully plan on completing the rest of the series, but I hope the other books are far more enjoyable than this one.

The first two books are kind of set up and build up for a very nice payoff in A Storm of Swords (book 3). Keep going.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I think it's the weakest book of the series, but most rank the 4th book lower. Having said that, CoK still has more than enough going for it, so keep reading.

gutshot

Clash has, I think, only five Dany chapters. Storm has a lot more though, so you can look forward to that.

Overall, Clash has a slow build-up, but picks up near the end. And then Storm is a wild ride pretty much from start to finish. Keep going!

I have a question about the end of book one and beginning of book 2.

How did Stannis find out that Joffrey was not a legitimate heir? Did he get some kind of message around the time Eddard was captured and killed or did he know from Jon Arryn?

Massa

I have a question about the end of book one and beginning of book 2.

How did Stannis find out that Joffrey was not a legitimate heir? Did he get some kind of message around the time Eddard was captured and killed or did he know from Jon Arryn?

Don't quote me on it but I believe he knows it from Jon Arryn. If you watch the TV show it's different there, where he gets the letter from Ned Stark.

It took me longer than I had hoped (I had other priorities that came up), but I recently finished Clash of Kings. I found the second half to be far better than the first, and utterly engaging and hard to put down. Simply great stuff.

The only problem I have with these books so far is (spoilers for book 1 and forward, I suppose?)
how Joffery seems to identify too much with his Lannister heritage rather than Baratheon side. I realize he's a product of Cercei and Jaime, but it seems as though he should want to shy away from the allegations that he's the bastard of an incestuous relationship between his uncle and mother. His banners always have the Lannister lion on them, and he surrounds himself with Lannister guards. But to keep his public image, shouldn't he fly only Baratheon colors and symbols? It's not like anyone else in these books has banners that represent both their parents families. It would be as if Robb flew a Stark and Tully banner. It's as if GRRM doesn't want to confuse readers by having Joffery fly Baratheon colors, even if it's for show, really.

It's a minor nitpick, I know, but it still bothers me.

Just finished A Feast for Crows. Talk about a sloooow burn...
almost nothing happens for 3/4 of the book, then a bunch of crazy cool shit starts happening, only to end with a fizzle.

What are y'all's thoughts on A Dance with Dragons vs A Feast for Crows? I want to jump into it but I hear it's very similar, in that it has
lots of chapters devoted to characters traveling, boring descriptions of inconsequential shit, and very little movement. Unfortunately, I read a spoiler that says Tyrion literally spends the whole book traveling. He doesn't even meet Daenerys!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It took me longer than I had hoped (I had other priorities that came up), but I recently finished Clash of Kings. I found the second half to be far better than the first, and utterly engaging and hard to put down. Simply great stuff.

The only problem I have with these books so far is (spoilers for book 1 and forward, I suppose?)
how Joffery seems to identify too much with his Lannister heritage rather than Baratheon side. I realize he's a product of Cercei and Jaime, but it seems as though he should want to shy away from the allegations that he's the bastard of an incestuous relationship between his uncle and mother. His banners always have the Lannister lion on them, and he surrounds himself with Lannister guards. But to keep his public image, shouldn't he fly only Baratheon colors and symbols? It's not like anyone else in these books has banners that represent both their parents families. It would be as if Robb flew a Stark and Tully banner. It's as if GRRM doesn't want to confuse readers by having Joffery fly Baratheon colors, even if it's for show, really.

He had very little real power. Cersei wielded it all.

Just finished A Feast for Crows. Talk about a sloooow burn...
almost nothing happens for 3/4 of the book, then a bunch of crazy cool shit starts happening, only to end with a fizzle.

What are y'all's thoughts on A Dance with Dragons vs A Feast for Crows? I want to jump into it but I hear it's very similar, in that it has
lots of chapters devoted to characters traveling, boring descriptions of inconsequential shit, and very little movement. Unfortunately, I read a spoiler that says Tyrion literally spends the whole book traveling. He doesn't even meet Daenerys!

Basically what you wrote bout ADWD is mostly true. There are some exceptions though.

LuchaShaq

Banned

There are plenty of reasons for this. No idea what is from what book but I'm spoil tagging it all but don't think I should have to tag any of it for you.

- Robert hates him, and loves his black haired bastards. Cercei mentions how pissed he got when Joffrey would cry instead of coo and laugh like all his by blows

- Cercei is also an awful helicopter parent who basically forms Joffrey into being mini crazy her.

- Tywin/Jamie/Kevan are more interesting/imposing/cool than boring crotchety stannis and renly who does nothing but laugh at Joff.

- Tyrion despite not being loved by Joff has probably at least tried to make him learn some of their family history, I doubt Robert or Stannis did so.

Question from near the end of AFfC:
Jaime leaves Edmure with the singer (who is later revealed to be Tom O' Sevens). Why is Edmure afraid of him specifically?

ZeroRay

It's the subtext.
Jaime was urging Tom to sing that song. The one that implies Jaime would have Edmure and his son/wife killed if he didn't do what Jaime suggested.

It's the subtext.
Jaime was urging Tom to sing that song. The one that implies Jaime would have Edmure and his son/wife killed if he didn't do what Jaime suggested.

Ok, that makes sense. I think when I read it I just focused on Edmure saying 'No not him' and thinking that I had missed his identity and that was the important part.

How many pages have you already written of The Winds of Winter?

I’ve already written 400 pages of my sixth book. However, of these 400 pages, only 200 are really finished because I still have to revise the other 200 pages, which are in a rough version and I still have to work on them a lot. But you have to keep in mind that the last book, Dance with Dragons, was 1.500 pages long and this one will be more or less the same extension, so I have a lot of work. I hope after this tour I can go back home in order to write as a possessed man. But the sixth volume won’t be released in 2012 or in 2013. I really look forward to publishing it in 2014, but I am really bad for predictions, you may know it. And then, there is another fact: when I finish this saga I will be judged for the quality of the books, not for the speed of my writing.

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html?spref=tw

Yeah, 2014 is a dream, but a pleasant one though.

But then again, going by his website he's not going to have major events or conventions until March so he can hopefully get cracking on the book (along with his 1000 other projects). On the other hand we are deep in football season and there's a presidential election coming up. We had better pray for an Obama victory.

gutshot

Back to this old song and dance again, I see.

Listen new ASOIAF fans, waiting for the next book for their first time, I will save you all some trouble. Don't believe any word George says about when he expects the book to be done. Don't look at page counts and try to extrapolate a release date. Don't believe any dates given by Amazon or any other retailer. Don't look at George's schedule and say "oh, he has some free time coming up, he should get a lot of writing done." Don't expect frequent blog posts with updates on his status (and when you do get an update, don't believe any time estimates he gives).

Just expect the book will be out in 4-5 years and move on with your life in the mean time. Going down the other path leads to madness, and eventually, posting with the bitter fans on IsWinterComing.

Makonero

Listen new ASOIAF fans, waiting for the next book for their first time, I will save you all some trouble. Don't believe any word George says about when he expects the book to be done. Don't look at page counts and try to extrapolate a release date. Don't believe any dates given by Amazon or any other retailer. Don't look at George's schedule and say "oh, he has some free time coming up, he should get a lot of writing done." Don't expect frequent blog posts with updates on his status (and when you do get an update, don't believe any time estimates he gives).

Just expect the book will be out in 4-5 years and move on with your life in the mean time. Going down the other path leads to madness, and eventually, posting with the bitter fans on IsWinterComing.

Wonderful. I just finished ADWD, and now I know to let go of Westeros, Meereen and everything in between for a while. Time to read some more Thursday Next.

TCRS

Banned

tumblr_m74lnlKM031qahd69o2_500.gif

Ok. Got it.

TCRS

Banned
And The World of Ice and Fire, which has become another monster according to GRRM. That's the one I'm really looking forward to.

V3RTb.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
And The World of Ice and Fire, which has become another monster according to GRRM. That's the one I'm really looking forward to.

I have to admit, immersing myself in the mythology and locales of the world is almost as much fun as reading the story itself.

Man, A Feast for Crows is a slog (425 pages in). Almost nothing has happened, and my favorite characters have been excised completely so far.

But I will continue anyway. Also, labeling the chapters with character titles rather than names irks me for some reason. I don't really know why GRRM decided to change it with this book.

Man, A Feast for Crows is a slog (425 pages in). Almost nothing has happened, and my favorite characters have been excised completely so far.

But I will continue anyway. Also, labeling the chapters with character titles rather than names irks me for some reason. I don't really know why GRRM decided to change it with this book.

It will get better towards the end. Of course by the time it gets really good the book ends.

And AFFC is actually a lot better when you read it for a second time years later.

gutshot

The character titles rather than names gets worse in ADWD. I agree, it niggles. At worst, it is contrived and, at best, inconsistent.

TCRS

Banned
Also, labeling the chapters with character titles rather than names irks me for some reason. I don't really know why GRRM decided to change it with this book.

He explained that (sort of) in a recent interview:

edit: I'll put the question in spoiler tags, just in case.

From the fourth book you have been uncovering some chapters with nicknames, like
‘The Prophet’ or ‘The Kraken’s Daughter’.
Why do you do that?

[GRRM]: Well… [Thinks for a long time with an enigmatic smile] I don’t know if you know Gene Wolfe, one of the best science fiction and fantasy writers, in my opinion. Well, his work is full of puzzles and enigmas and you have to put a lot of attention on what he is saying. I remember one day I asked him: “Why do you use that? Is there a deeper reason beyond?” And he didn’t say anything at the beginning. He just smiled me ironically and said to me: “What do you think it means?” And I told him my theories. Then, he answered: “Interesting…” [Laughs]. That’s all you wanna get out of me, but I have to say this is not an accident [Laughs].

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html?spref=tw

Ikael

Hmmm, it looks like Asshai. I mean, it seems like a "fire" type of land, prone to develope a religion revolving around how night is "dark and full of terrors" seeing the type of things that surrounds it. Also, is the grey waste some allusion to the whole "Phantom grass" that is bound to cover the world some day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom