• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Five measly trophies for a 2016 PSN game.? come on Sony.

oti

Banned
One day I will release a game with 5 "chievos" as well.

1. You
2. Still
3. Care
4. Bout
5. Chievos/Trophos?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
These replies are just.. This thread made me not want to play the game. Was planning to pick it up day 1 but now I won't even bother.

NO please reconsider! I'm sorry for what I said! Don't take it out on Chris and Jake and Sean and Olly and probably several other very talented people!

(fuckin lol)

Bishop89

Devs are pretty stupid when they don't include a platinum. There are a lot of gamers who won't even bother buying a game if it doesn't have one and it's baffling to see devs not understanding this and them losing sales. Makes no sense.

Acerac

Banned
These replies are just.. This thread made me not want to play the game. Was planning to pick it up day 1 but now I won't even bother.

Way to show that group of people who dislikes achievements! Fuck the actual dev who showed up and gave a reasonable response, because people unrelated to him are snarky you should not support him!

Well done.

TM94

Quite right, there should have been 500.

I mean come on guys it's 2016

This shouldn't be happening anymore.

prag16

Banned

Some of the replies are definitely a little harsh (but not exactly completely undeserved... it's been a major and justifiable thread backfire).

However with this comment, I think the thread has actually jumped the shark. You're not going to pick up the game now because some people are a little vociferous in their defense of a lack of high volume of trophies? I don't even

In regards to the "it's 2016, why do we still care about achievements?", it's likely because there's an expectation due to people growing up with them implemented into tons of things that aren't games. In the past month I've encountered unlocking of badges/trophies/achievements in the following situations:

- Ordering food via an app on my phone
- Badge unlocks noting progression in completing an HR training
- A tutorial for office software
- Walking (step tracker app)
- Sleeping (sleep monitor on wellness app)
- Progression on a language learning app

etc.. etc.. We get achievements for every. conceivable. thing. these days, for better or worse. People at large seem to appreciate positive feedback and encouragement in the activities they undertake, so it's no surprise that it's become as prolific. Those that think that they should be done away with, or that they provide no meaningful addition to an activity-- in this case, a game-- are in the minority here (again, for better or worse). There's an almost an ingrained expectation that the devs are trying to deliver on.

Can't the gamification just be the game?

lol I'm with ya on that, though I do like trophies as side objectives or other things to do after I've gone through something on my own. However it's refreshing watching my gf-- someone who did not grow up playing video games-- play through things without a care about any of it.

Platform holders shouldn't dictate rules to creatives unless there's a very good reason. Trophies are not a very good reason. Platform holders should demand a game meet a standard of functionality and beyond that the devs should make the decisions about what is in the game.

I politely disagree. Once upon a time Sony didn't require developers to even include Trophies in the first place, and no one knew where they stood. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with asking all games to ship with a Platinum - in this instance, it's not like Campo Santo would need to change the design of their game at all.

I really don't think it's a big deal asking for consistency in the system myself, but whatever.

Hektor

If some people posting negative stuff about trophies is enough reason for you to not buy this game anymore despite there beeing zero correlation between these two things, i highly doubt you ever had plans on picking up this game anytime soon either way.

bounchfx

Achievements were a nice novelty, but overall I'm still surprised people care about them in more than a 'neat!' kind of way. I guess it's great that it gives people options on how they want to approach a game, but only playing a game for the trophies seems a tad extreme to me. It's playing a game for the wrong reasons imo, but hey, to each their own.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What do you guys think about a pretty high profile game (at least Sony showed it at their big shows) for the Playstation 4, only having FIVE trophies..?
Since you ask:

I couldn't care less, and I also can't imagine why anyone would care about things like that, let alone think Sony should get involved.

I don't think developers should be forced to add achievements/trophies if they don't want to.
That too. Sadly now they are forced to have a minimum of them as far as I know. Completely stupid.

Video games were not less fun in the pre-trophy era. Now people are demanding all sorts of ridiculous things about them as if they really mattered, instead of being some optional meta-game thing. Craziness.

Acerac

Banned
If some people posting negative stuff about trophies is enough reason for you to not buy this game anymore despite there beeing zero correlation between these two things, i highly doubt you ever had plans on picking up this game anytime soon either way.

The most fucked up part is that a dev for the game literally came in to this thread to respond to concerns and this is how he responds.

How many devs would do this? Why would you respond to them in this manner?

I don't understand your logic. Comments from random people online makes you not want to play a purely single player story driven game?

Would there not even be a thread if they just added a trophy for every single day in the game? Day 1-99 complete with the last day being a platinum? Where is the fun in that? But I feel like that is what is being argued, "I want my trophies" instead of "I want meaningful trophies."

I think the game is more meaningful when the developers deliberately did not want to distract players from the game so they can trophy hunt.

Maybe this game isn't for you--but don't blame people online; you like to trophy hunt, and that's alright. This isn't a trophy hunting game.

Trace

Banned
Why does it matter? Trophies and achievements are the most inconsequential nothings in gaming.

Don't base your spending habits based on number of random numbers placed into a game.

Trace

Banned
I don't understand your logic. Comments from random people online makes you not want to play a purely single player story driven game?

Would there not even be a thread if they just added a trophy for every single day in the game? Day 1-99 complete with the last day being a platinum? Where is the fun in that? But I feel like that is what is being argued, "I want my trophies" instead of "I want meaningful trophies."

I think the game is more meaningful when the developers deliberately did not want to distract players from the game so they can trophy hunt.

Maybe this game isn't for you--but don't blame people online; you like to trophy hunt, and that's alright. This isn't a trophy hunting game.

Because by his own metric, every single fucking game on PSN should be MANDATED to have AT LEAST 13 trophies by Sony. If not, well screw you I'm not buying your game.

It's a ridiculous argument, Sony should remove any kind of "requirement" for Trophies. If your game makes sense for them, sure go nuts and add 400, but it's silly that small experiential games have some kind of reward system to go with them. The game is its own reward.

Squalor

Is there a system option to turn off trophy notification? Because that random sound and graphics popping up is distracting and annoying. I was watching this emotional scene in a game after an involving gameplay part and that shit appears. Can't they at least wait till the scene is over to start childish pop ups? It breaks the illusion.

'A scene of a main character dying after a fight' PING!!!
'Watching the end of a game' PING!!!

Yes, there is.

Any more fruitless complaints?

Squalor

Undertale had exactly 0 Steam Achievements and how much did that affect the game? Exactly.
Had there been achievements, how would that have changed the game?

It wouldn't have.

However, I'm sure there were people, plenty of them, who would have liked achievements.

Fat4all

Banned
Had there been achievements, how would that have changed the game?

It wouldn't have.

However, I'm sure there were people, plenty of them, who would have liked achievements.

Nah, all they needed were those awesome Steam trading cards.

latest

Undertale had exactly 0 Steam Achievements and how much did that affect the game? Exactly.

Which'll make for an interesting case if that ever is ported over to PSN since it'll need them. Jasper Byrne did a great job I think in implementing them in Lone Survivor Director's Cut post-PC release; they didn't detract from the gameplay or narrative but also didn't feel perfunctory and "I'm doing this because I have to in order to sell this game here".

Jolkien

It's a shame that trophy vary widely sometimes from games to game. I'm not a trophy hunter per say, I have a 41.44% completion average and 21 Platinum. which I assume is not that much since trophy exist but they do make me play more of a game like other poster said. If I really enjoyed a game I will platinum it and I'll get more out of it myself.

If you don't like them you can completely disable the notification I'm surprised how so few people scroll through the settings menu in their console, then again working on a tech support phone line shouldn't surprise me, people read jack shit these days.

I also like to see on psnprofile my rarest trophy things like that. It's completely meaningless but I was ''proud'' to have been the 20th person in the world to platinum Tales of Xillia and my two friend and I got the 4th, 5th and 6th world rank (seconds apart since we all popped it pretty much at the same time) for the trophy to collect 50 ghost in Destiny back when the game released and was done without any collectible guide. We really took our time and explored every nook and cranny.

Fat4all

Banned
Which'll make for an interesting case if that ever is ported over to PSN since it'll need them. Jasper Byrne did a great job I think in implementing them in Lone Survivor Director's Cut post-PC release; they didn't detract from the gameplay or narrative but also didn't feel perfunctory and "I'm doing this because I have to in order to sell this game here".

There's a big problem with releasing Undertale on consoles, though.

Like, they would need special permissions from console manufacturers before the game could be released on them for narrative reasons.

There's a big problem with releasing Undertale on consoles, though.

Like, they would need special permissions from console manufacturers before the game could be released on them for narrative reasons.

Oh definitely. I was just using it as an example since it was mentioned, but you're right.

Put down your controller, find some useless repetitive task to do, repeat 15 or 30 times, give yourself a sticker. Rinse, repeat and you'll feel better.

The Witness for PC only has 2 achievements, yet 13 for PS4 as per Sony's insistence.
Guess it depends on the price.

Devs get to choose a smal set without platinum or a full set with plat. Apparently used to be limitations based on individual game but now it's devs choice.

edit: Oh wow this thread 7 pages. This probably been said already.

MK_768

Devs are pretty stupid when they don't include a platinum. There are a lot of gamers who won't even bother buying a game if it doesn't have one and it's baffling to see devs not understanding this and them losing sales. Makes no sense.

Makes no sense that some gamers get uptight over nothing. But yes...the devs are clearly lacking intelligence.

Not sure why the number matters so much. If you enjoy the game in its own right, it shouldn't matter what the total number is. Conversely, if you're someone who wants to pad out their trophy count, then this isn't the game to do with it (but I'm sure there are dozens others).

It's really a non-issue.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well, that definitely doesn't make sense.

ironmang

Well, that definitely doesn't make sense.

May not make sense to you but unless you're buying up those lost sales then it still matters. Even though I don't do much trophy hunting at all anymore, I still enjoy them when the dev does something fun like put funny trophy names.

Top Bottom