• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

K, finally reached an area where I don't know wtf to do, so I'll continue tomorrow. Really enjoying the game so far.

I mentioned in a previous post that my XB1 started making some weird noise. Sounds like my hard drive (internal) is going bonkers. It gets totally silent when I exit the game, though.

Should mention the noise only occurs when I'm playing Ori.

So guessing absolutely no one at all had any issues downloading this on Xbox One? It seems to be the only game in my queue list that is acting up. Keeps pausing itself for no reason. Been doing it since I started the download to the point I had to pause all my downloads. Starting to wish I would of bought this on Steam.

I thought it was my external hard drive as well, couldn't really tell until I put my ear right up to it and my xbox one and it's definitely my xbox one. Sounds like the fan speeds up while the game is paused or something, not sure.

I absolutely love the game, but I am having a few issues with random freezing and crashing. It could be hard drive related as I am using an external.

Just so you know that it's not normal, I have none of these issues and I also use an external.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Was only able to play for 45 minutes, but I'm loving the game so far. Really just hitting on all cylinders for me. Visuals, music, controls, game design, atmosphere... all just great.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You can leave the in-game vsync on too, the most important thing is to get Windows's triple buffering from windowed mode.
The game has an option for a borderless fullscreen size window, right?

C4Lukins

Game seems to be doing well so far after only a couple of hours.

Looking at some other digital only games that were never free based on my friends list.

Keep in mind this only tracks up to 100 people, and is based on my friends list of 600 people.

Geo Wars 3-100
Minecraft-100
Trials- 100
Child of Light- 90
Sixty Second Shooter- 88
Game of Thrones- 84
Tales From The Borderlands- 73
Valiant Hearts- 69
Ori- 69
Lococycle- 68
The Jackbox Party Pack- 66
Monopoly Plus- 57
The Walking Dead Complete Season 1- 51
Outlast- 48
Threes- 48
Another World-44
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris-44
Nutjitsu-43
Life is Strange- 41
Fibbage- 40
Costume Quest 2- 36
The Wolf Among Us- 35
Zombie Driver- 34
The Walking Dead Season 2- 33
Riptide 2- 32
The Golf Club-31
Tetris Ultimate- 31
Pure Pool- 30
Monopoly Deal- 29
RE Revelations 2- 29 (New Release)
Contrast- 29
Never Alone- 29
The Escapists- 28 (New Release)
RBI Baseball- 26
Defense Grid 2- 26
Kalimba- 26
Stick it to the Man-25
The Legend of Korra- 24
Terraria- 24
How to Survive- 23
Divekick- 21
Trivial Pursuit- 20
Risk-20
Thomas Was Alone- 19
1000 Spikes- 18
Blue Estate- 17 (New Release)
Styx-16
Hand of Fate- 16 (New Release)
Unmechanical- 15
Roundabout-14 (New Release)
Pneuma-14 (New Release)
Zombie Army Trilogy- 14 (New Release)
Shadow Warrior-13
OlliOlli- 12 (New Release)
Castlestorm-11
Funk of Titans- 11
Flockers- 10
Kickbeat- 10
Boom Ball for Kinect- 10
Rabbids Invasion-7
White Night-6 (New Release)
Pier Solar- 6
Shiftlings-4 (New release)

Still working on making it look nice.

Dave_6

My 3570K/970 setup runs this at DSR 4K up to my FPS limit of 144 fps. The only drop I've seen is during a cutscene so far and it went down to ~70 fps.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Game seems to be doing well so far after only a couple of hours.

Looking at some other digital only games that were never free based on my friends list.

Keep in mind this only tracks up to 100 people, and is based on my friends list of 600 people.

It didn't chart on the Steam top 100 active games so far: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Cities Skylines (5) and Hotline 2 (14) both came out today as well and charted fairly high. I feel like there was zero marketing or hype for this game, had no idea what it was or that it was coming out today.

Kyuur

I've played the whole game with the dpad so far, but bash is tough to use effectively without the analog precision... boo. I'll have to switch over.

A later ability is tougher to use with the analog stick (for me at least). There's no winning!

Partway through Forlorn Ruins now and my heart wasn't ready for
Gumo discovering the rest of his race dead. ;_; I was prepared for the intro, but not this!

Lilo_D

lol my pc can't stand for this game the frame rate is near 20fps
I may need to pick up a Xbox one version
Is XO version 60fps???

Just finished the Misty Woods.
Taking away a Metroidvania player's map is cruel, devs. ;_; Did a great job of creating a sense of being lost though!

Taking away the map??

Um, dude, hit the windows button or whatever it's called on your controller (if you're on PC I've no idea what button it is). It has a totally metroidvania map. I don't think that's a spoiler...

I'm at work. Boo. I got 2hrs45 mins in and finished the first 2 of the six main 'world events' so I figure I'm about a 3rd through the game. But as the game becomes harder I'm sure it'll take me longer to get through the other 2/3. Then there's speed runs. No death runs. No upgrade runs..... yeah, this game is the business.

I'm going to say this every time I post. Moon Studios you've outdone yourselves. This game deserves more marketing, more hype, and would well be worth a higher price tag than $20. It's a steal and a dream.

It didn't chart on the Steam top 100 active games so far: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Cities Skylines (5) and Hotline 2 (14) both came out today as well and charted fairly high. I feel like there was zero marketing or hype for this game, had no idea what it was or that it was coming out today.

Ori was at both Microsofts E3 and Gamescom conferences with on-stage demos, there have been multiple trailers for the game since then, two preview events (US and UK based) with previews coming out

No marketing/hype... or just not looking for it? Seems to be plenty from where I am sitting.

Ori was at both Microsofts E3 and Gamescom conferences, there have been multiple trailers for the game since then, two preview events (US and UK based) with previews coming out

No marketing/hype... or just not looking for it? Seems to be plenty from where I am sitting.

I think in terms of big trailers or marketing. But indie games usually don't get that anyways.

Kyuur

Taking away the map??

Um, dude, hit the windows button or whatever it's called on your controller (if you're on PC I've no idea what button it is). It has a totally metroidvania map. I don't think that's a spoiler...

I'm at work. Boo. I got 2hrs45 mins in and finished the first 2 of the six main 'world events' so I figure I'm about a 3rd through the game. But as the game becomes harder I'm sure it'll take me longer to get through the other 2/3. Then there's speed runs. No death runs. No upgrade runs..... yeah, this game is the business.

I'm going to say this every time I post. Moon Studios you've outdone yourselves. This game deserves more marketing, more hype, and would well be worth a higher price tag than $20. It's a steal and a dream.

Sounds like you just beat the Ginso Tree. You'll see what I mean when you get a bit further

Further now, without spoiling this game's story is god damn brutal. :(

Well what can I really say that hasn't been said, the game is absolutely gorgeous, it plays great, and the music is ridiculously good. I know they aren't similar games at all, but this game gives me the same vibes Journey gave me when I went through that, I hope this feeling stays with me throughout because Journey is one of my favorites.

I recorded a video of the weird noise ori causes my xbox to produce, it's very subtle so you probably need headphones to notice. In fact you might even think this noise sounds normal but honestly my xbox is pretty much silent with every other game so even though this noise is quite subtle it still bothers me. In the video I basically pause and unpause the game while trying to record my xbox noise. The noise is heard at 0:16 then at 0.20, then at 0.25 and at 0.34, then again at 0.42, at 0.56. Basically anytime it gets quieter is me unpausing the game and when you hear the noise the game is paused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pCG6e0tlyU
I apologize for how crappy the video and sound quality is, I recorded this with a potato.

Sounds like you just beat the Ginso Tree. You'll see what I mean when you get a bit further

Further now, without spoiling this game's story is god damn brutal. :(

Ahh so the game actually takes away your map at some point as part of the story? Ok then. I played the first 90 minutes without even thinking to use my map. The environments always seemed to direct me where I needed to go. I don't think it will be too bad, but we'll see.

I think in terms of big trailers or marketing. But indie games usually don't get that anyways.

As has been said it isn't really an indie game since MS bought it 1 year into its development, although it started as one. You'd think since MS owns the IP they would've made a bigger marketing push. I guess it's the chicken and the egg. They don't want to spend a lot marketing an unproven franchise in case it doesn't sell, but if it doesn't sell who's to say that wasn't do to a lack of marketing?

There was some, yeah. But IMHO there wasn't enough. There should've been multiple TV spots for this game the way the big dudebro shooters always do, to get it out into the public awareness. Think of how many parents might've bought this game based solely on the fact that it's kid-friendly. Adult gamers will hear about it through word of mouth (I hope), but those that aren't on message boards may not even know it exists.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ori was at both Microsofts E3 and Gamescom conferences with on-stage demos, there have been multiple trailers for the game since then, two preview events (US and UK based) with previews coming out

Huh, I saw E3 but don't recall it at the conference. I just must have forgotten it I guess.

You couldn't pre-order the game for whatever reason while those other games had the option for some time.

Those aren't sales though, those are active players, so preorders wouldn't have affected that. I could be wrong.

did you ever get a Microsoft Dev kit?
Oh yeah, quite a ways back! I'm all set up for consoles now. Woo!

Huh, I saw E3 but don't recall it at the conference. I just must have forgotten it I guess.

Those aren't sales though, those are active players, so preorders wouldn't have affected that. I could be wrong.

If you look at the time on the listing:

Steam & Game Stats Updated: 10 March, 2015 @ 11:10pm

Do we know what timezone that is? Wasn't launched until 12.01am GMT on the 11th, and even if it is US (ET?) it would only have been out for 3 hours~, with no pre-orders which might have affected it as people might not have known it was out earlier in the US, it might not even have been released when that chart went up or at least, seems a bit early to write it off.

Someone else pointed out it was the 2nd highest on top sellers for steam earlier too

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
You have got to be kidding me, MS. Ori is nowhere to be found on any of the XB1's main storefront pages. The only way I could spot it is by searching for it. The first time I tried searching, I typed 'Ori' and it autofilled the rest of the name and then proceeded to tell me it couldn't be found.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Microsoft has been pushing the game as an X1 title, understandably, so I'm not surprised. I had to tell a couple of people bemoaning the fact it's an MS game that it's also on the PC.

You have got to be kidding me, MS. Ori is nowhere to be found on any of the XB1's main storefront pages. The only way I could spot it is by searching for it. The first time I tried searching, I typed 'Ori' and it autofilled the rest of the name and then proceeded to tell me it couldn't be found.

It's a damn shame. Get rid of the fucking sports title ad tiles and replace them all with Ori. The folks that buy the annual re-hashes of the sports franchises will do so regardless.

statham

all games usually goes up the day before around 8pmETA, you won't see anything until tomorrow. It happens with all their games, GWG, SALES, New games, ect. if nothing tomorrow evening, then complain.

edit: they put up the game before advertisement; this has been going on for awhile.

mike4001_

To be fair: I think there is kind of a glitch at the moment.

I bought the game via smartglass and pinned it on my xbox.

Then I turned it on and when I clicked on my pin it told me it couldn´t find the game.

I waited 2-3 hours and tried it again, then unpinning the game, searching didn´t find anything.

But then it appeared in the New section of the store and I could download my purchase.

jbug617

Banned

that will be fixed tomorrow because technically that's when the game is suppose to come out. It's just weird thing that MS does and the game comes out the night before.

Chobel

If you look at the time on the listing:

Steam & Game Stats Updated: 10 March, 2015 @ 11:10pm

Do we know what timezone that is?
Wasn't launched until 12.01am GMT on the 11th, and even if it is US (ET?) it would only have been out for 3 hours~, with no pre-orders which might have affected it as people might not have known it was out earlier in the US, it might not even have been released when that chart went up or at least, seems a bit early to write it off.

Someone else pointed out it was the 2nd highest on top sellers for steam earlier too

PDT (GMT -7:00).

yami4ct

So how is the PC version, besides the weird input lag/v-sync issue? I'm sure it can't be that hardware intensive, but still my rig is pretty old. Running a GTX 260 and i5-760. Am I going to have any issues?

I'm stuck at the Ginso
Tree. I've just got by the portals and can't get up any further so am i supposed to make my way back down now?

Nope. You need to get to the top of the tree. There's a door that requires four of those stone tablets or whatever they are to open it.... just in case you haven't done that. When you reach the top of the tree you have to 'cleanse' the heart. Go left and clear that section to reach the left-side thing you need to shoot to cleanse it. Then go right and clear that side (which requires some tricky redirecting of a cannon shot through 4 or 5 of those redirecting things) to reach the thing you shoot to cleanse that. Once you cleanse the tree get ready for a crazy awesome escape sequence. Use your 'bash' ability (Y button on xbox) to redirect the shots by bashing the opposite direction you want them to go. To bash using an enemy or projectile you need to be close to it in mid air.

I'm loving the game so far. The gameplay is good, and the difficulty is just right.

fnDNhRu.jpg
This achievement art makes for a good background.
Just gotta pretend that Ori is sleeping :(

Five

Banned
Thomas, you guys have really done something amazing here. If the game I'm working on is even half as good looking or well playing as this, I'd consider it an honor! Please don't let the one or two bad reviews get you down!

Exporting my first 2 hrs 45 minutes to youtube in case anyone wants to watch it there. http://www.youtube.com/user/korbekgaming Easier to stream youtube to phones than twitch IMHO. They'll be live once youtube finishes processing them.

It's just raw footage with the occassional commentary or me talking to viewers. The scripted and edited videos will be made over the coming weeks, including longplays pf nodeath/speedrun/noupgrades runs.

Thomas, you guys have really done something amazing here. If the game I'm working on is even half as good looking or well playing as this, I'd consider it an honor! Please don't let the one or two bad reviews get you down!

The bad reviews are just letting their genre preferences influence their thinking. Just kidding... in all seriousness reviews are very much an opinion, not objective really, so there's always going to be a few that buck the trend whether it's positive or negative. The game is stellar.

Top Bottom