• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Grisby

^^^Wow. Nice story.

Gonna be digging into it myself tomorrow. Not with any kids hanging about though, ;)

All the impressions sound great.

Wow, impressions seem great.

Downloading for me right now, but definitely interested to giving this a shot. KI, Ori and DmC breathing new life back into my xbone this month.

I dont know which one to buy x1 or pc

What are the pros of buying it on each? Achievements on XB1 plus all the other system stuff if you want it, no noticeable performance hitches that I've had so far. Not one that really lends itself to a whole lot debate except for which one you prefer I think

Sydle

Just played the intro. I had seen the intro sequence at least half a dozen times and tears still filled my eyes.

The visuals are stunning, the presentation thus far is captivating, and it controls wonderfully. I'm so glad this is finally out. ^_^

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Stunning

Wed_Mar_11_15-14-16_UTC%2B1100_2015.png

Guys my xbox makes a weird rapid clicky noise anytime I pause this game wtf. Can anyone else try pausing and unpausing their game to see if their xbox noise changes? In fact the noise changes further if I first pause the game and then go to my xbox dashboard, however if I don't pause the game and go to dashboard immediately my xbox one remains quiet. I also just tried this with other games and it seems ori is the only one causing this. I'm scared to continue playing.

Also some screenshots.
KwrfIvp.png

cool_dude

Banned
Grown-up friend who had never heard of this game watched the intro and he felt depressed right away and was drawn to the story, although it was "cartoony".

Dave_6

The prologue got me right in the feels :( Wow, what a game. The soundtrack is even better than I thought it was gonna be.

RK9039

Man, that was such a great sequence.
Walking back to the cave and seeing the "memories" of them going for food/building/etc. was really well done.

That was very nicely done
. The soundtrack is amazing as well.

Are you playing on xbox by any chance? Could you pause your game and see if your xbox gets noisier as you do?

Sorry I won't be able to, I have the PC version.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Damn you guys, I just downloaded it for Xbone but I have to go to sleep for work in the morning. :(

I will play the shit out of this when I get home tomorrow......gonna be the longest workday ever.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How's the performance on the PC? My notebook is above the minimum requirements, but I hope that I won't have to play it on the lowest settings.

Nirran

Man been wanting to play this all night but it's going so slow on the Xbox One. It's been stuck at 80% for a good half hour now and just saying it's installing than will go to queuing than back to installing. Have tried hard resetting but nothing. Hoping I don't have to redownload because it took nearly 3 hours to get this far.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If Microsoft doesn't make Ori a mascot right alongside Master Chief then something is wrong. EVERYTHING about this game clicks. Everything. One thing I would love to address in particular is the save system. That is really well done.

GWX

I wish there was a PC demo. My 9800GTX+ is above a GT240 in terms of performance, but it only has 512MB of VRAM, and the store page states 1GB as the minimum =(

Navy Bean

I'm not a big fan of platformers but...wow...played a few hours and this game is just a joy to play. The world feels so alive, the visuals and soundtrack are tremendous, and the gameplay is great so far. Playing on Xbox and it runs smoothly - I just need someone to remind me to save more often!

Kyuur

Just finished the Misty Woods.
Taking away a Metroidvania player's map is cruel, devs. ;_; Did a great job of creating a sense of being lost though!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So to get the best experience on the PC I should do the following?
- Run the game in a window
- Turn off the in-game vsync
- Force vsync and tripple buffering using an outside application

Aeana

So to get the best experience on the PC I should do the following?
- Run the game in a window
- Turn off the in-game vsync
- Force vsync and tripple buffering using an outside application

You don't need to do the third thing. Windows automatically does that for windowed games.

Nirran

So guessing absolutely no one at all had any issues downloading this on Xbox One? It seems to be the only game in my queue list that is acting up. Keeps pausing itself for no reason. Been doing it since I started the download to the point I had to pause all my downloads. Starting to wish I would of bought this on Steam.

RyudBoy

K, finally reached an area where I don't know wtf to do, so I'll continue tomorrow. Really enjoying the game so far.

Guys my xbox makes a weird rapid clicky noise anytime I pause this game wtf. Can anyone else try pausing and unpausing their game to see if their xbox noise changes? In fact the noise changes further if I first pause the game and then go to my xbox dashboard, however if I don't pause the game and go to dashboard immediately my xbox one remains quiet. I also just tried this with other games and it seems ori is the only one causing this. I'm scared to continue playing.

I mentioned in a previous post that my XB1 started making some weird noise. Sounds like my hard drive (internal) is going bonkers. It gets totally silent when I exit the game, though.

Should mention the noise only occurs when I'm playing Ori.

Congrats to the team at Moon Studios, and Micrsoft for picking a winner. I've only put around two hours in, but this game is phenomenal. Just stunningly great. I love it and can't wait to tell everyone at work tomorrow to buy it.

Aeana

I've played the whole game with the dpad so far, but bash is tough to use effectively without the analog precision... boo. I'll have to switch over.

K, finally reached an area where I don't know wtf to do, so I'll continue tomorrow. Really enjoying the game so far.

I mentioned in a previous post that my XB1 started making some weird noise. Sounds like my hard drive (external) is going bonkers. It gets totally silent when I exit the game, though.

Should mention the noise only occurs when I'm playing Ori.
I thought it was my external hard drive as well, couldn't really tell until I put my ear right up to it and my xbox one and it's definitely my xbox one. Sounds like the fan speeds up while the game is paused or something, not sure.

I absolutely love the game, but I am having a few issues with random freezing and crashing. It could be hard drive related as I am using an external.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You don't need to do the third thing. Windows automatically does that for windowed games.
Oh, okay. That's was the impression I got from reading this thread, but I didn't know that Windows vsync is a thing.

Aeana

Oh, okay. That's was the impression I got from reading this thread, but I didn't know that Windows vsync is a thing.

You can leave the in-game vsync on too, the most important thing is to get Windows's triple buffering from windowed mode.

RyudBoy

I thought it was my external hard drive as well, couldn't really tell until I put my ear right up to it and my xbox one and it's definitely my xbox one. Sounds like the fan speeds up while the game is paused or something, not sure.

Whoops, my mistake. I meant to say internal. I don't have an external drive yet.

Top Bottom