• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

I read the intro to Ori is worse than Bambi, I'm at 80% on my download now and preparing tissues and icecream to help me deal with the feels.

Corpekata

Banned
PC players, game doesn't seem too alt tab friendly, just had to kill the process manually. Works sometimes, so not 100 percent, but just be wary if you haven't saved in a bit.

Kyuur

PC players, game doesn't seem too alt tab friendly, just had to kill the process manually. Works sometimes, so not 100 percent, but just be wary if you haven't saved in a bit.

It seems to switch to windowed mode on alt+tab, so that might be causing problems. Fine for me though. The loading speed at the beginning of the game is bad, but made up by lack of loading afterwards I suppose.

Just started, loving it so far. Prologue was ace and very sad. :( Got to a place with these rolling exploding boar-things and was convinced that I could get them to jump to break a wall to progress because it seemingly glitched out and one made it once (maybe not a glitch?) but it seems there is a different way to go.

Back to playing!

Lain

Beautiful, beautiful game. I only played the prologue introduction and I'm already in love with the art of the game. It also hit me in the feels even if I was expecting that to happen, as it can be seen coming from a kilometer away.

Decided to play a couple minutes before bed and wow, sure the game looked amazing in trailers but seeing it on a 50" screen still surprised me.

I'll second the suggestion for a UI toggle suggested earlier, not too bad as it is (already changed my dashboard wallpaper to a screen from the game) but it'd be nice to have.

naw

Yeah, I haven't alt tabbed but whenever I press the Windows key the game freezes (I play on fullscreen).

The first time I hit it was an accident and it was during the little introduction cutscene so I figured it froze cause of all the stuff that was going on during the cutscene

I just did it again right after the game teaches you how to save cause I wanted to see if it'd freeze again

it froze again

don't touch the windows key brehs

also whenever the game freezes for me I can't do shit. like I can't just end the process through task manager, I literally have to restart my entire computer

other than that the game runs fine, 144fps and everything

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I thought this didn't release until tomorrow? Can we play it now on Xbox? I'm currently downloading it, but I was surprised it gave me the option to purchase.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
ugh 106 deaths later
the escape sequence with the water in the tree... my thumb hurts, i think im missing something, i always die in the same spot after a spider with a torch I cna't latch onto

I thought this didn't release until tomorrow? Can we play it now on Xbox? I'm currently downloading it, but I was surprised it gave me the option to purchase.

It may not be an exact science but it works for ID@Xbox titles and seemingly Ori as well, for download titles release dates are listed for GMT, so its now the 11th of March (when its due to release) on GMT time and so at 12.01 the games get unlocked for everyone.

Retail titles vary per region but store only/download/ID@Xbox games all seem to work on GMT, remember that in future!

Aeana

This is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played in my life. My only complaint so far was that it seemed to have too much input lag, but I realized that triple buffering wasn't triggering. It's a night and day different turning vsync off and then playing in windowed mode for the forced triple buffering. Jumping feels SOOO much better.

QuikNez

Guys, I'm a 360 turned PS4 owner who is dying to buy an Xbox and Ori's making it hard for me to resist the urge.

What are your thoughts on the following:
1) wait for a X1 slim, hopefully released at E3, and pick up Ori, MCC, FH2 and wait for F6, or
2) buy it now

Ideally, the X1 slim would fit in my ET unit as the current X1 is just way too big, hence my delay on the purchase side of things.

Haines

Banned
Guys, I'm a 360 turned PS4 owner who is dying to buy an Xbox and Ori's making it hard for me to resist the urge.

1) wait for a X1 slim, hopefully released at E3, and pick up Ori, MCC, FH2 and wait for F6, or
2) buy it now

Ideally, the X1 slim would fit in my ET unit as the current X1 is just way too big, hence my delay on the purchase side of things.

It's 1 game. Lots of other good games out there to play. I can't imagine ori is worth buying an expensive system for.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played in my life. My only complaint so far was that it seemed to have too much input lag, but I realized that triple buffering wasn't triggering. It's a night and day different turning vsync off and then playing in windowed mode for the forced triple buffering. Jumping feels SOOO much better.

Hmm this a hot tip. So i assume the windowed borderless mode in all games always enables triple buffering and vsync? Seems to always been the case when ive played other games.

Noobcraft

2) buy it now

I don't think an Xbox slim is coming this year, it seems too early. If that's what you're waiting for I think it will be a year or two.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It may not be an exact science but it works for ID@Xbox titles and seemingly Ori as well, for download titles release dates are listed for GMT, so its now the 11th of March (when its due to release) on GMT time and so at 12.01 the games get unlocked for everyone.

Retail titles vary per region but store only/download/ID@Xbox games all seem to work on GMT, remember that in future!

I definitely will! Downloading Ori today is something that I didn't think I would be doing lol

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
thomasmahler fooled us all.

This isn't a fucking game at all. It's a wallpaper/screenshot maker disguised as a game. We've been scammed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The release of this snuck up on me. Can't wait to play it. Little scared of its difficulty though. I find difficult platformers tend to be off putting to me.

just spent about an hour with the game. my PC just barely can run it and I'm scared of the escape sequences since they're setpiece-y. hopefully my PC can hang with it when I get that far.

so far it's really good. some of the wall jumping feels off to me, and Ori's momentum has caused me quite a few deaths. but it's really really good.

Vire

Can you disable the health bars? Just doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the aesthetic of the game.

Hey guys,

I hope you're all enjoying your experience with Ori :)

I hear ya on the hide UI feature, we might just add that for you guys soon :))

~Kinggi~

Banned
Giantbomb DOT COM BRAD somethingoranother - "This is the best looking 2d game ever made"

so so accolades so far not impressed pls try harder

Hey guys,

Lovely game so far!

Any chance you guys could look into fully rebind-able keys for the PC version? I'd love to recommend this to all of my friends, but some of them are very particular about keybinds. (EDSF for movement, specifically)

RK9039

Hmm, seems to be okay for me. I just have to alt+enter to go back to full screen.

Hey guys,

MediocreUnfinishedFunnelweaverspider.gif

This game is amazing.

thomasmahler fooled us all.

This isn't a fucking game at all. It's a wallpaper/screenshot maker disguised as a game. We've been scammed.

So true. This game is like controlling a painting.

BokehKing

Banned

2) buy it now

Save yourself $400 and buy it on pc? If you have a pc

Buburibon

maybe turn off vsync completely? sounds liek your system is throttling down because you should be getting like 300 fps lol

Yeah it could bve vsync or could just be optimization of the game where no matter what hardware you have it has moments where it hitches. Havent tried it myself but wouldnt be surprised if i had the same performance with my 4770 and gtx 770

Yeah that's what I'm thinkin' just to give it an excuse to be on if anything.

try forcing Vsync through the nVidia Control panel.

That's pretty much it, windowed mode combined with forcing maximum performance seems to have lessened the frequency and severity of the hiccups I was experiencing. Thanks, everyone. It's definitely much better now. :)

Chucker

Skipped the prologue because I saw it last night and didn't want DEM FEELS.

Looked at the achievements and saw one was for completing the prologue.

!!!!!!!!!

2) buy it now

I don't think they will release an XB1 slim this year, they just announced the MCC bundle which is $349, I would just get that if you want one, I'm not in the US but are Best Buy movers coupons a thing all year round? Can get 10% off the console if they are (Don't forget to buy Sunset Overdrive as well!)

(I thought you were a US guy but now I'm not so sure, disregard the 10% thing if you're not)

Vire

I feel like this is really nitpicking and pedantic, but I think the game gets carried away with the bloom at times.. as it kinda strips away from the games natural beauty and makes it feel more like a DeviantArt wallpaper.

Away from my PC for the week, so I checked to see if it would run on my Macbook. It's runs, but stutters quite a bit so I'll just wait until I can get the full experience. Did decide play through the prologue. Both a mistake and a great decision. It's absolutely beautiful, and I cried like a bitch.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this on Steam but I think I'm gonna bring my PC downstairs and hook it up to try Big Picture for the first time for this game. Any tips to make sure it looks the best it can this way? Just HDMI out to my receiver and I should be good to go as if it was a console, right?

Kyuur

After getting
Double Jump, going back from the Grotto to the Grove and ending up where you found the map stone
gave me such a sense of pleasure. That is my favorite thing about this genre.

Buburibon

Bought this on Steam but I think I'm gonna bring my PC downstairs and hook it up to try Big Picture for the first time for this game. Any tips to make sure it looks the best it can this way? Just HDMI out to my receiver and I should be good to go as if it was a console, right?

Sounds good, that's how I have mine set up.

That part about the difficulty is really off-putting.

I am not a fan of REALLY hard games.

Especially ones of this type that shouldn't be so grueling.

THERE BETTER BE AN EASY MODE!

This game looks amazing. I love the way the controls feel, everything works nicely IMO. The save system takes a second to get used to but they are pretty generous with giving you resources to save. Between this and Hotline Miami 2 I am very happy with March so far.

RK9039

Nice, the game is 2nd top seller behind Cities.

Oh, getting 300 fps with triple buffering and vsync off as someone pointed out.

Top Bottom