• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not when Steve Jobs underperformed badly. Remember, the Oscars are more than just "an indivual achievement" for a person. It depends of politics and how much they like your movie. They ADORE The Revenant and didn't care for Jobs.

I agree but the Academy has some love for Boyle and Sorkin AND it's a biopic so it's not totally impossible. I do think it's highly unlikely Leo doesn't win, but if anyone could steal it it's Fassbender IMO.

-griffy-

Banned
Have they removed the Special Effects award? I remember it being both Visual and Special previously

The award used to be Best Special Effects and included audio, then it became Best Special Visual Effects, then it became Best Visual Effects in 1977 with Star Wars and Close Encounters.

It's kind of weird though because in the industry, visual effects refers to computer generated effects, and special effects refers to practical/in-camera effects. So it's always kind of been a catch-all category.

Day 1 prediction of winners? Fury Road fanboyism in effect

Picture: Spotlight
Director: Miller
Actor: DiCaprio
Actress: Larson
Sup. Actor: Stallone
Sup. Actress: Mara
Adpt. Screenplay: Big Short
Ori. Screenplay: Spotlight
Animated: Inside Out
Documentary: Amy, but the reader is so upset about this he/she says "The Look of Silence!" instead and we all nod along that a Behind the Music episode didn't win this year
Foreign film: Son of Saul
Cinematography: Lubezki
Costume: Powell
Editing: Sixel
Make-Up: Fury Road
Original Score: Morricone
Original Song: Sam Smith, somehow
Production design: Fury Road
short film: World of Tomorrow
Sound Editing: Fury Road
Sound Mixing: The Revenant
Visual Effects: The Force Awakens

Toxi

Banned
Beasts is the biggest MIA to me. I wouldn't just say Attah deserves the nom, but the award too. His transition from the innocent youth to the war torn child. He did it better than most adult actors. Deserves it more than Leo.
Agreed.

Dominator

Inarritu is going to get Best Director probably, though I want George to get it.

Revenant will also get Best Picture and Best Actor. People are eating that shit up.

R-User!

I know Fury Road is not likely to be a "Return of the King", but what would all of you be feeling if Mad Max: Fury Road had 8 wins going into the Best Director and Best Picture categories?!

I would be be sooo jubilant!

Not by a long shot, but what if?!

I'll again reiterate the point of my earlier post, that I think the micro level editing, and the good stuff, overrides the problems and makes it deserving of the nomination, but NOT deserving of the win over Mad Max.

To me, micro editing is like choosing a shot where a boom mic is showing. We know from interviews there are quite a few minutes of footage that were left on the cutting room floor, but of course, ultimately the buck stops with the director. It's just interesting how the original Star Wars was in many ways saved by editing, and now here we are again with a best editing nod when many people regard that as being one of the weakest points of this new film.

Toxi

Banned
I know Fury Road is not likely to be a "Return of the King", but what would all of you be feeling if Mad Max: Fury Road had 8 wins going into the Best Director and Best Picture categories?!

I'd say it deserves to be a "Return of the King" more than Return of the King.

It would be like what happened with GRAVITY where it sweeps the technicals (+ director) and then loses out to the "prestige" movie

injurai

Banned
I'd say it deserves to be a "Return of the King" more than Return of the King.

This was the year I started taking interest in the Oscars, because before that I was too young to care about whatever the academy loved. Mad Max winning would go a long way into pulling people into following the Academy.

Unfortunately it's up against The Revenant, and despite the cynicism is just as much a fantastic rare gem of a film as Mad Max.

I don't think anybody really expected it to get nominated for anything. It's not even that great of a movie (not that that has ever stopped movies from being nominated).

It was always going to get nominated for sound editing and visual effects at least. Not really surprising.

I figure there's no chance in hell that Fury Road wins Best Picture, but it's amazing just to see a Mad Max film nominated for it.

If Leo doesn't win it this year, I don't know if he ever will.

injurai

Banned
I figure there's no chance in hell that Fury Road wins Best Picture, but it's amazing just to see a Mad Max film nominated for it.

I think his best work may still be ahead of him, but I don't think he will take a role quite as drastic as this one for a little while. I don't think Scorsese's next film will have as much appeal with general audiences.

No fucking way Lubezki wins THREE YEARS IN A ROW.

Deakins got this shit on lock, I feel it in my bones.

I think they will save Deakins for his next movie. Maybe the Blade Runner sequel. This will go to Lubezki then he won't get much for a while.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

He's had a stick up his ass about winning since he took Titanic. Since than, he's done about everything to kill his boy image and prove he is a serious actor. The Oscar is just the cherry that's been missing. If he doesn't win it this time, he'll try for another 10 years right after. He's the biggest try hard since Sean Penn.

And I'm not saying that as a bad thing.

Spotlight, possibly The Big Short, is much more likely to win Best Picture than The Revenant. And the Academy rarely splits up the best picture/director awards, so I think it's more likely than not that Inarritu doesn't win again.

Inarritu was already overarching last year by stealing the awards from The Grand Budapest Hotel, I am ok if Revenant doesn't win anything, including acting awards.

injurai

Banned
Inarritu was already overarching last year by stealing the awards from The Grand Budapest Hotel, I am ok if Revenant doesn't win anything, including acting awards.

It's frustrating, because the Academy spends half of it's time owing directors for past snubs, that they create more snubs. Snubbing The Revenant now and they'll owe Inarritu and Leo.

I thought Bridge of Spies was based on a book. How did it nominated for Original screenplay?

Looking at wikipedia, its based on Strangers on a Bridge by James Donavan.

MaulerX

At this point I'll be seriously shocked if Leo doesn't take it. Not only is he overdue, he was genuinely great in The Revenant.

Oersted

Don't understand why Leo would win when he spends most of the film mute.

220px-Jean_Dujardin_Cannes_2011.jpg

Ridley327

It's frustrating, because the Academy spends half of it's time owing directors for past snubs, that they create more snubs. Snubbing The Revenant now and they'll owe Inarritu and Leo.

How would Iñárritu at all be snubbed? He just won three Oscars for 2014.

Nafai1123

Banned
Definitely think Leo deserves the best actor nod, but I really hope The Revenant doesn't win Best Picture and Best Director. It was good, but there were better films this year IMO.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Stallone was great but I'm not sure he was better than Hardy in Revenant or Bale in The Big Short.

I think Mad Max and Revenant split best picture and director.

Dabanton

See, skipping Pacino in 1974 meant that come 1992, he was “due.” So 18 years after the initial transgression, the Academy gave Pacino the Oscar for doing a Yosemite Sam impression in Scent of a Woman. This, in turn screwed over Denzel Washington in Malcolm X, who they ended up rewarding in 2001 for the Wayne Brady impersonation he did in Training Day

Haha this is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom