• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Part of me is really hoping that Leo doesn't win the Oscar again this year, if only because I'd totally miss the memes...

rs_397x165-140303100544-tumblr_n1v1obIR9J1rogwl3o1_400.gif

rs_500x226-141111110712-tumblr_mzaxydTKHh1qzk8y5o1_500.gif

tumblr_n1e7oaf4c61ts0xy4o1_250.gif

Cerberus

Are there any upcoming major slave or servant films on the horizon? I'm just curious as to when I can expect another black actor/actress to be nominated.

It's not a slave movie, but I'm going to say Ruth Negga for Loving (dir. Jeff Nichols)

It's about the civil rights case Loving v. Virginia.

Ridley327

Part of me is really hoping that Leo doesn't win the Oscar again this year, if only because I'd totally miss the memes...

rs_397x165-140303100544-tumblr_n1v1obIR9J1rogwl3o1_400.gif

rs_500x226-141111110712-tumblr_mzaxydTKHh1qzk8y5o1_500.gif

tumblr_n1e7oaf4c61ts0xy4o1_250.gif

If they somehow manage to give it to someone else this year, there's plenty of material in The Revenant for an entire new set of Oscar edits. A veritable goldmine, if you ask me.

fleck0

I think Emmanuel Lubezki is a lock to win Cinematography three years in a row (Gravity, Birdman the last two years). The Revenant looked amazing.

Jonm1010

Banned
Bale was really good though, and clinical mental disability is a bit disingenuous, that wasn't even the main point of his character. He's just a normal guy that likes to immerse himself in math and numbers, and quite frankly it was his career of choice. It was one of the better depictions of someone identified as very high functioning aspergers. It's not even clear how accurate that diagnosis of him is. The real Michael Burry comes across even more normal and friendly than Bale does in the movie.

Elba... in my opinion that was a pretty ghastly performance by him. I was really disappointed in that movie.

He was really good. I just don't think he is better then Del Torro or even Carrell from the same movie. And I think he is really only getting it because it was the "sexy" part that speaks to the preferences the Oscars have fawned over in the past.

I guess I am more alone on Elba in Beasts. I personally thought it was a very good performance but I guess the consensus seems to be different.

spekkeh

Banned
What's the point of best animated feature when inside out is the only animation nominated for best picture.
Like saying inside out won, but these are other great animation this year.
What's the point of the best picture award if the best picture doesn't win.
If nothing else it deserves some acting nods and probably cinematography.

I would bet the whole controversy around it is going to get it snubbed at the Oscars and Emmys.
I could imagine Beasts not getting a nomination because the film industry and cinema industry have their hands in each other's pants. The Emmys really can't ignore subscription services, not after HBO being the premium series creator for so long. And subsequently I don't reckon there's a 'needed to at least have been on x number of televisions' kind of requirement for the Emmys, like the Academy Awards does have.

Jonm1010

Banned
The oscars are a terrible metric for what is a great movie and who is a great director.

Most of the time, yeah. There are occasions where everything aligns and they actually pick credible winners. Typically only a couple times a decade though.

Most often they end up leaving a film or films high and dry that come out looking much better in historical retrospect then what they chose.

Hoping Mad Max can be that trend breaker.

He was really good. I just don't think he is better then Del Torro or even Carrell from the same movie. And I think he is really only getting it because it was the "sexy" part that speaks to the preferences the Oscars have fawned over in the past.

I guess I am more alone on Elba in Beasts. I personally thought it was a very good performance but I guess the consensus seems to be different.

Its not, just a few insane opinions on Gaf. Beasts of No Nation has been trending on Twitter for hours now with people pointing out the snubs for Idris, Abraham Attah (who deserves an Oscar as much if not more than any of the lead actors nominated) and Fukunaga. That 3 minute one shot sequence in the house during the sacking of that village should have propelled Fukunaga to a cinematography nomination spot, its the exact same style of photography everyone is praising the Revenant for. Fucking farce.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Best Picture
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
>>The Revenant<<
Room
Spotlight

Best Director
Adam McKay, The Big Short
>>George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road<<
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, The Revenant
Lenny Abrahamson, Room
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
>>Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant<<
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, Carol
>>Brie Larson, Room<<
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
>>Sylvester Stallone, Creed<<

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alician Vikander, The Danish Girl
>>Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs<<

Best Music - Original Score
Thomas Newman, Bridge of Spies
Carter Burwell, Carol
>>Ennis Morricone, The Hateful Eight<<
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Music - Original Song
“Earned It,” 50 Shades Of Gray - Music and Lyric by Abel Tesfaye, Ahmad Balshe, Jason Daheala Quenneville and Stephan Moccio
“Manta Ray,” Racing Extinction - Music by J. Ralph; Lyric by Antony Hegarty
“Simple Song #3,” Youth - Music and Lyric by David Lang
“Til It Happens to You,” The Hunting Ground - Music and Lyric by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga
>>“Writing’s on the Wall,” Spectre - Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith<<

Best Original Screenplay
>>Bridge of Spies - Written by Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen<<
Ex Machina - Written by Alex Garland
Inside Out - Screenplay by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley; Original story by Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen
Spotlight - Written by Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy
Straight Outta Compton - Screenplay by Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff; Story by S. Leigh Savidge & Alan Wenkus and Andrea Berloff

Best Adapted Screenplay
>>The Big Short - Screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay<<
Brooklyn - Screenplay by Nick Hornby
Carol - Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy
The Martian - Screenplay by Drew Goddard
Room - Screenplay by Emma Donoghue

Best Animated Feature
Anomalisa - Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson and Rosa Tran
Boy and the World - Alê Abreu
>>Inside Out - Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera<<
Shaun the Sheep Movie - Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
When Marnie Was There - Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

Best Film Editing
The Big Short - Hank Corwin
>>Mad Max: Fury Road - Margaret Sixel<<
The Revenant - Stephen Mirrione
Spotlight - Tom McArdle
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey

Best Visual Effects
Ex Machina - Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett
>>Mad Max: Fury Road - Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams<<
The Martian - Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence and Steven Warner
The Revenant - Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith and Cameron Waldbauer
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Best Cinematography
Carol - Ed Lachman
The Hateful Eight - Robert Richardson
>>Mad Max: Fury Road - John Seale<<
The Revenant - Emmanuel Lubezki
Sicario - Roger Deakins

Best Production Design
Bridge of Spies - Adam Stockhausen (Production Design); Rena DeAngelo and Bernhard Henrich (Set Decoration)
The Danish Girl - Eve Stewart (Production Design); Michael Standish (Set Decoration)
>>Mad Max: Fury Road - Colin Gibson (Production Design); Lisa Thompson (Set Decoration)<<
The Martian - Arthur Max (Production Design); Celia Bobak (Set Decoration)
The Revenant - Jack Fisk (Production Design); Hamish Purdy (Set Decoration)

Best Costume Design
Carol - Sandy Powell
Cinderella - Sandy Powell
The Danish Girl - Paco Delgado
Mad Max: Fury Road - Jenny Beavan
>>The Revenant - Jacqueline West<<

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
>>Mad Max: Fury Road - Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin<<
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared - Love Larson and Eva von Bahr
The Revenant - Siân Grigg, Duncan Jarman and Robert Pandini

Best Sound Mixing
Bridge of Spies - Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Drew Kunin
Mad Max: Fury Road - Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo
The Martian - Paul Massey, Mark Taylor and Mac Ruth
The Revenant - Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom and Chris Duesterdiek
>>Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson<<

Best Sound Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road - Mark Mangini and David White
The Martian - Oliver Tarney
The Revenant - Martin Hernandez and Lon Bender
Sicario - Alan Robert Murray
>>Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Matthew Wood and David Acord<<

Best Foreign Language Film
Embrace of the Serpent - Colombia; Directed by Ciro Guerra
Mustang - France; Directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven
Son of Saul - Hungary; Directed by László Nemes
>>Theeb - Jordan; Directed by Naji Abu Nowar<<
A War - Denmark; Directed by Tobias Lindholm

Best Documentary Feature
Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
>>Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom<<

Best Documentary Short
Body Team 12
Chau Behind the Lines
Claude Lanzman
>>A Girl in the River<<
Last Day of Freedom

Best Live Action Short Film
>>Ave Maria<<
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Best Animated Short Film
Bear Story
Prologue
>>Sanjay’s Super Team<<
We Can’t Live Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow

Dabanton

It didn&#8217;t matter that Howard&#8217;s version of The Magic Retard was a badly bowdlerized adaptation of a profoundly complicated man&#8217;s life, nor that said adaptation was written by the unrepentant hack who shit out Batman and Robin. Opie got his statues, leading to the 3rd Hobbit movie &#8211; the one with the 30 minute pillowfight &#8211; sweeping everything it was nominated for in 2003 as a make-up move. And that&#8217;s a perfect microcosm of why you shouldn&#8217;t give a shit about what movie wins an Oscar. The passage of time reveals a movie&#8217;s true quality, not the number of gold statues it won. Citizen Kane didn&#8217;t need the Best Picture, neither did Raging Bull, or Dr. Strangelove, or Rear Window, or Star Wars. Keep that in mind while you&#8217;re watching the circus, and you&#8217;ll have a better time all around.

https://fatboyroberts.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/5-reasons-the-academy-awards-are-pretty-much-worthless/

Applause. Great article bobby and yes still very relevant. I'm more happy for the 'backroom' people getting awards. The makeup and effects people, the editors who at these events still get short shrift as all TV and the internet cares about is the stars.

I watch and enjoy the oscars every year, but to take them overly seriously is to invite madness. Time does always reveal a films true worth, longevity and art. How many previous oscar winners are still talked about that had any real lasting relevance?

Add onto that most of the voting bloc is mostly older white men who probably have very locked in tastes and attitudes and the results we often see should come as no surprise to anyone. They watch the screeners that interest them and probably bin or give away the rest.

stupei

Really annoying that they changed it so there can be up to ten Best Picture nominees and yet they constantly go with fewer than that. It seems to suggest that it's not that there were so many good films in a year that it was hard to choose, but rather that there weren't even enough movies that were good enough to fill the list.

I appreciate how editing can set the tone, but when characters mysteriously drop out of the movie, that's a fundamental flaw I'm not sure I can look past.

What you're talking about happens sometimes during the editing process, but it's not the editor's call. If you find fault with structural changes, blame the director. That's on them.

Ridley327

Wait, why is the Danish Girl bad? I thought that it was very well done.

I dunno, but I know reviews weren't super amazing for it, and Tom Hooper has attracted his fair share of detractors since The King's Speech, thanks in no small part to a rather brutal Film Critic Hulk article about him. I don't have any opinion to share about the film itself, other than it not looking like the sort of thing that would grab me.

Day 1 prediction of winners? Fury Road fanboyism in effect

Picture: Spotlight
Director: Miller
Actor: DiCaprio
Actress: Larson
Sup. Actor: Stallone
Sup. Actress: Mara
Adpt. Screenplay: Big Short
Ori. Screenplay: Spotlight
Animated: Inside Out
Documentary: Amy, but the reader is so upset about this he/she says "The Look of Silence!" instead and we all nod along that a Behind the Music episode didn't win this year
Foreign film: Son of Saul
Cinematography: Lubezki
Costume: Powell
Editing: Sixel
Make-Up: Fury Road
Original Score: Morricone
Original Song: Sam Smith, somehow
Production design: Fury Road
short film: World of Tomorrow
Sound Editing: Fury Road
Sound Mixing: The Revenant
Visual Effects: The Force Awakens

This almost entirely matches up with what I am thinking.

vulva

Carol not getting bp is horseshit.

Spotlight, The Martian, The Big Short, Mad Max, Brooklyn and The Revenant getting bp nominations is even more horseshit.

Also this year's best actor category couldn't be any less interesting.

Jonm1010

Banned
https://fatboyroberts.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/5-reasons-the-academy-awards-are-pretty-much-worthless/

Applause. Great article bobby and yes still very relevant. I'm more happy for the 'backroom' people getting awards. The makeup and effects people, the editors who at these events still get short shrift as all TV and the internet cares about is the stars.

I watch and enjoy the oscars every year, but to take them overly seriously is to invite madness. Time does always reveal a films true worth, longevity and art. How many previous oscar winners are still talked about that had any real lasting relevance?

Add onto that most of the voting bloc is mostly older white men who probably have very locked in tastes and attitudes and the results we often see should come as no surprise to anyone. They watch the screeners that interest them and probably bin or give away the rest.

They do exist though. Yeah there are obvious examples to shame the Oscars: English Patient, Crash, Shakespeare in Love. But they also do(occasionally) choose films that can be argued have grown in adulation over time. Or at least remained steady and relevant. That can be considered, reasonably, to be the best film that year.

I think the ultimate takeaway about the Oscars history is that the Oscars are wildly inconsistent in the quality of their nominees/winners and rarely without some highly questionable nominees/winners.

I want Mad Max to win, but it bight boil down to The Revenant, Spotlight and The Big Short. The Martian could be a huge dark horse upset.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Wait...Carol hasn't even been nominated in Best Picture?

I thought people were saying that film was going to be the surefire winner of the category? Damn.

zma1013

So with Tom Hardy being in 2 films featured here it got me wondering, has an actor ever been in best actor and best supporting actor for 2 different movies in the same year?

Cerberus

I want Mad Max to win, but it bight boil down to The Revenant, Spotlight and The Big Short. The Martian could be a huge dark horse upset.

I think The Martian is dead. No Director or Editing nomination.

The BP winner will be The Revenant, Spotlight, or The Big Short.

vulva

Wait...Carol hasn't even been nominated in Best Picture?

I thought people were saying that film was going to be the surefire winner of the category? Damn.

Best domestic film of the year but people want garbage like a boring walk in the woods or a film celebrating that the boston press were bad at their jobs but 15 years too late managed to finally do what they were spoonfed.

-griffy-

Banned
Really annoying that they changed it so there can be up to ten Best Picture nominees and yet they constantly go with fewer than that. It seems to suggest that it's not that there were so many good films in a year that it was hard to choose, but rather

It's a function of how they tabulate votes for the Best Pic nom. Voters only fill in 5 films for Best Pic, and they rank them by preference.

Every movie that gets at least 5% of the vote in the #1 position is automatically a nominee. Then the second and third place films on those ballots are redistributed and count as partial votes. Movies with less than 1% of the #1 vote are also redistributed to the other piles, with second and third places counting as partial votes. After all that redistribution is done, any movie with an aggregate of their actual #1 votes and the partial #2/#3 votes that amounts to 5% also become nominees. Any movies below 5% don't make the cut. It's confusing and weird.

Punto

Neo Member
So with Tom Hardy being in 2 films featured here it got me wondering, has an actor ever been in best actor and best supporting actor for 2 different movies in the same year?

I think Jamie Fox was nominated for Collateral and for Ray...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom