• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Minamu

Hey guys, pretty new Overwatch player here on ps4, lvl 24. I'm getting a LC-202 error for the first time. I was recommended checking my Blizzard connection via Looking Glass and I'm getting a 100% packet loss. Now I can't even load the test anymore (through the console browser). My connection isn't super fast and is technically acting a bit weird but the ps4 connection test shows up fine and I've restarted the router, not to mention typing this on my phone. Problem on my end or no?

I didn't play QP for months and I decided to play it a little just to relax before going to work and wtf, it's so bad and so toxic that comp looks like a paradise in comparaison... like wtf.

I don't get it, it's not about trying hard or else but just playing the game decently, there is no point making terrible comp that gets destroyed in 3 minutes top chrono, people prefer to leave the game then switching for something decent, that's terrible, if casual people just get the game and launch it for the first time, they'll be disgust for the game in no time... I know we can't fix this but that's why Overwatch popularity is decreasing massively, the community is really bad.

I used to play QP exclusively, but I fucking hate how many games I join where there's a Hanzo and Widowmaker on attack, or I either have to be a healer every game or we don't have one, etc. I used to quit games like that, but got a -75% XP penalty during the Anniversary event. Even though I leave games before the match actually starts. Fucking stupid. There should be zero penalty for leaving a QP game, especially if you leave before it actually starts.

So now I have to pick between being placed into in QP games where games are just fucking broken because people don't put any consideration into team comp or teamwork at all, or playing in Competitive and having to put up with douchebags yelling at each other because they're not playing perfectly.

God forbid I want to be in the middle of that spectrum, and that Blizzard try to make an environment for people who want to play well as a team, but still just for fun.

I haven't played since the Anniversary event ended, and I have a feeling that I'm done with binging now. I'll probably just casually go back to it whenever there are big updates/events.

Yager

Banned
I use QP to train with heroes I don't usually play in case I need to pick one of those in comp. Of course nobody cares about comp in QP, guys in there just want to fuck shit up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I didn't play QP for months and I decided to play it a little just to relax before going to work and wtf, it's so bad and so toxic that comp looks like a paradise in comparaison... like wtf.

I don't get it, it's not about trying hard or else but just playing the game decently, there is no point making terrible comp that gets destroyed in 3 minutes top chrono, people prefer to leave the game then switching for something decent, that's terrible, if casual people just get the game and launch it for the first time, they'll be disgust for the game in no time... I know we can't fix this but that's why Overwatch popularity is decreasing massively, the community is really bad.

Is there any proof of this, or are you pulling this out of nowhere because you're angry at the game? I doubt its community is any worse than other FPS.

LiK

QP is training. As soon as you see Hanzo x Widow x Genji on your team with no supports, just don't even try. Make them suffer a loss as well. Get the XP and move on.

I don't understand - if I'm going to get flamed for being shit at my character in comp, and I'm apparently a bane to the game for trying to learn the character in QP, where the hell am I supposed to practice?

The firing range isn't a good substitute other than learning some basics.

Great! I won!

Great! I lost!

Great! I won!

Great! I lost!

I swear this game hates me.

giphy.gif

LiK

I don't understand - if I'm going to get flamed for being shit at my character in comp, and I'm apparently a bane to the game for trying to learn the character in QP, where the hell am I supposed to practice?

You can train your aiming. But don't expect a lot of teamwork unless you happen to be with a team that wants to win. It happens occassionally.

Sinatra has apparently improved his attitude quite a bit and is much less toxic when he plays according to the people who have watched his stream. He's also the LEAST tilted person during Selfless's games as he tries to be a stable and reliable teammate. He BMs a lot but I have never had a huge problem with that.

Sinatraa has acted like an assholes in the past but in no way is he comparable to Dafran, no one is.

When did double support start for you? I rarely saw it in low gold, and never in high silver.
I got placed high bronze/low silver. It was always double support with bad aiming lol. But as I was making my way to plat. Double support slowly started disappearing because everyone was dps or tanks or torb.

X-Frame

Since I have returned to playing Overwatch a month ago, "throwing" is not a term I remember seeing being tossed around here or on Reddit when I last played (which was mid-Season 2).

Was "throwing" always something that people referred to in Overwatch or did it gain attention after Season 2? When I returned and I started reading about someone throwing I had no idea what that meant, but quickly caught on. Just curious ..

HiiiLife

You ignore them. People cry all the time regardless of what you do. Awkward mufuckas in this game breh lol

Quick Play is practice mode. Play whatever you want, unless you're alongside a stack of players who approach it semi-seriously.

In Comp tho, if you pick & ignore without discussion, you're doing it wrong.

It's like the assholes who pick a 3rd AWP in CSGO.

Just accept compromises.

Had my first real thrower in a game (guess I'm lucky). Was solo queueing and had a group of two. The team comp was horrible from the beginning (Nepal). Had one of the group of two ask for a symmetra from someone and his buddy ask for the McCree that someone had picked. They were clearly tweens and proceeded to swear, spew out racist crap and two of the other players engaged in the chatter all 3 games (we lost 0-3) without much of a challenge.

Just really, really annoying as their only purpose was to shit up the game.

PatjuhR

I'm all for good comp listening to teammates and all,

But when people pressure me to switch from Roadhog to Reinhardt I will switch to Reinhardt and we will lose. Same for Mercy, but in a less dramatic way.

You sometimes gotta understand people mostly play competitive to win and if I play a good Reinhardt I would've chosen him instead of Roadhog. I got 3 hate messages after I was forced to pick Reinhard and lost the match for us. It happened a few times.

Sometimes a better comp doesn't mean anything.

But when people pressure me to switch from Roadhog to Reinhardt I will switch to Reinhardt and we will lose. Same for Mercy, but in a less dramatic way.

You sometimes gotta understand people mostly play competitive to win and if I play a good Reinhardt I would've chosen him instead of Roadhog. I got 3 hate messages after I was forced to pick Reinhard and lost the match for us. It happened a few times.

Honestly unless you are in very high tiers good understanding of the character will always be better than comp picks (within reason).

LiK

I will never pick Mercy. I was in a Comp game and I was Zen and someone kept doing the Mercy pick thing during setup. Finally a random picked her instead of being a DPS. We won and I even got a card as Zen and the random got a card as Mercy. Always pick your best. Playing someone you're meh with is the worst idea.

randome

Hey guys, pretty new Overwatch player here on ps4, lvl 24. I'm getting a LC-202 error for the first time. I was recommended checking my Blizzard connection via Looking Glass and I'm getting a 100% packet loss. Now I can't even load the test anymore (through the console browser). My connection isn't super fast and is technically acting a bit weird but the ps4 connection test shows up fine and I've restarted the router, not to mention typing this on my phone. Problem on my end or no?

The packet loss thing is normal. Can you check your modem logs? For me the isp had to come out and do a lot of work; turns out a lot of other people were having problems as well. I think it was interference in the lines or something. Good luck!

How can people play comp. without the kill feed on...I feel like it should be on by default in competitive play.

Tons of ps4 players have no idea it's even a thing somehow.

Fugu

I get that, & ideally, you can observe the intricacies of your team and still choose something that will benefit from it. But that's not always clear, and it's an exercise in frustration when you have to be with a team that doesn't care for objectives or working together, and will instead will be running off in all directions or throwing the match. It's even more so (pre-Dive Comp) that people will bitch at me for switching to Zarya or D.Va from Reinhardt, despite none of them knowing why Reinhardt is a good tank and are asking for one "because the pro's use him".

The fact that this is even an issue is rather frustrating. Overwatch provides a wide variety of heroes with all sorts of abilities to contribute to the team's goal of winning the match, and yet the majority of players still rush to pick DPS/Flankers in their endless quest to get Play of the Game.

And DPS/Flankers without awareness are never fun to tank/support.
Last I checked you were somewhere in the lower end of plat. Trust me on this: The sooner you realize that the path of least resistance at that level is to instalock whatever DPS/tank you're best at, the better.

The quality of games in plat is low. Things are better there than in the lower ranks, sure, but they're not good. People at that level constantly make egregious and punishable mistakes; this is to the extent that team composition is actually a pretty small factor in the outcome of the game. Yes, you shouldn't run Junkrat against Pharmercy Zarya, but unless your character choice is profoundly bad it is probably workable. Players in plat trickle relentlessly, which is something that a support can seldom exploit but a dps nearly always can. DPS players are also in a position to exploit poor positioning, risk management, and ult usage, all of which are major problems at that level.

I'm not trying to shit on plat players either since it probably wouldn't be tough for players above my rank to criticise my gameplay, but it is simply fact that the kind of mistakes that people make in plat have far more effect on the game than all but the most ridiculous of character choices. If you think you don't deserve your rating you need to put yourself in a position to take advantage of the mistakes that you see and your contemporaries don't.

Also, use your mic. You shouldn't be allowed to play comp without one.

Owzers

I've had a few bad Mercy reses lately but in my defense I was playing with a defense hanamura team that wouldn't get on point b, we even lost a tick just because no one was around it.

They are dragging me down.

LiK

It is mindboggling to me that the kill feed is off by default. I was reminded of it when I made my second account recently.

You could tell how clueless some people are cuz they ask for healing like a dick and they don't know the healer died.

i assume new map will be locked from comp for a week? i only played that map maybe twice. probably should play more to know the ins and outs of it considering i got loss somehow lol.

Mr Git

I'm looking forward to the Roadhog nerf if anything because he fairly frequently fucks up my mech as Dva - although I would have just preferred defense matrix to either block the hook or not be interrupted by it. How's his rate of fire feeling for those playing the ptr? I have about 2 minutes with Reaper but his changes sound really good.

i assume new map will be locked from comp for a week? i only played that map maybe twice. probably should play more to know the ins and outs of it considering i got loss somehow lol.

It'll probably take a week for it to randomly pop up in QP and then reinstancing to oasis again

Minamu

The packet loss thing is normal. Can you check your modem logs? For me the isp had to come out and do a lot of work; turns out a lot of other people were having problems as well. I think it was interference in the lines or something. Good luck!
It has worked fine for a couple of week until today :) It started working again 30 minutes later, but then died again. I haven't tested it since, but other games and wifi connections on laptops and phones work completely fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

Man, loaded into QP to get warmed up and I got 6 straight games where I was teamed up with a 3+ stack against singles. None of the stacks were bad per se, but we got rolled every time. Not sure I even got warmed up, it was that bad.

I know the game treats a stack like it's higher MMR, but woof.

Also, stacks: please join team chat. I could have used some help behind you with the Genji crawling up my poor Zen's ass. "Group Up" doesn't properly convey my level of panicked desperation.

It is mindboggling to me that the kill feed is off by default. I was reminded of it when I made my second account recently.

How is your second account doing? I'm always tempted to make a second one to see if Kaplan's talk of "settling" at your actual rank is true or not.

I kind of want to min/max it too. Play a role like Tank / DPS, don't flex pick, etc.

Just to see if I can get Diamond that way.

X-Frame

I'm hoping that that Mercy gets a nerf tomorrow. Either to Ult gain or possibly a slight revert of her health regen delay to 2 seconds instead of 1 like it in now.

antitrop

How is your second account doing? I'm always tempted to make a second one to see if Kaplan's talk of "settling" at your actual rank is true or not.

I kind of want to min/max it too. Play a role like Tank / DPS, don't flex pick, etc.

Just to see if I can get Diamond that way.

It placed at 2300 and I got it to 3100 in 3 days playing Sombra and Soldier76.

Minamu

Guys, can you recommend some sources that delve into specific character strategies, if that's a thing? Like youtube channels or similar. And where can I read about nerfs and such?

It placed at 2300 and I got it to 3100 in 3 days playing Sombra and Soldier76.

See I'm betting if I play my placements on my "main" account I'll get put back at 2400 ish, just like I did last season and the season before. Then I hit 27/2800 and stagnate there.

So I wonder if I'll do any worse by trying a new account. I might not try it until later in the season though, I'm hooked on Tekken 7 and PPT in preparations for EVO.

Top Bottom