• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitanimus

Two 4x Rezzzes in one round of Nepal, but POTG goes to the other Mercy with the triple.

Fuck you too Overwatch.

image.php

Sometimes you get POTG, and it's just the most embarrassing shit.

Just got POTG as Hog where I missed two hooks, only really killed Lucio who was being stupid, and killed a baby D.Va who was away from her keyboard.

finalflame

Do you get an extra SR penalty for quitting during what the game considers is the match still being in progress? Just quit too fast post-game and got the fucking 10 minute suspension and it feels like my SR dropped an abnormally high amount. Like FUCK, the "DEFEAT" had already shown up on the screen and I was fucking tilted and ignored the huge red banner. FUCK.

Anne

Why is this not a thing? Never really understood why Mei can cancel her ice cube but not Reaper.

Because Mei can't instantly 1 shot 200hp heroes with a hitscan weapon when she unfreeze.

I dunno if it would make him broken, but he'd be an insanely good duelist at the very least. I'd want it on PTR just to see it tbh. At the very least it would be boatloads of fun.

Skii

Why is this not a thing? Never really understood why Mei can cancel her ice cube but not Reaper.

It's because Reaper's DPS output is a lot higher and he can still move in wraith form. It's a change I'd be up for with the state of the game right now. It's not obviously overpowered so I'd like them test it out.

Anne

I really feel like the ability to limit incoming healing is something the game really needs right now. It's interesting and strong and deals with the current healing nonsense.

Love that it does exist, hate that only one character has it. Extra hate the one character that does have it is also the best healer in the game so yay mirror matches :T

I don't get why they didn't give an ability like that to Sombra. They kinda did with health kits but there needs to be some kind of check to all the healing in the game now besides more burst damage.

RemiLP

I'm just going to tell you flat out that you're wrong. In a world where Rein is king, every DPS in the game has to play around him or they have to just not play the game. If you can't at least kill Rein or bust shield or play around shield space, you are ass and will continue to be ass. Individual match ups just don't matter. I don't care if good players can out play Reaper. Outplaying a Reaper that can 1-2 shot you if he has space is hard and it's not just some easy thing to do. Reaper can't fight for space, and he's not picked often because of it, end of story.

We've had metagames where Reaper is good, and in all of them space control was less of an issue than it is now. In all of those metas Reaper did his job and played matchups just the same. Soldier being good literally changes none of his matchups as far as outplaying goes. Yeah, it makes Soldier more appealing, but enough to completely take Reaper out his niche when he is still way better at killing tanks in close range? I doubt it. There's a lot more going on and the logical conclusion pretty much every better player comes down to is he can't get into the space he needs to be good.

Whether that means the obviously out of sync shielding +.healing mechanics need to be fixed, or Reaper's kit needs to be changed is another story. I'm just telling you why it's happening, and the train of thought "well Soldier is just better in every way" is blatantly incorrect. "Other DPS just can outplay him better" is also wrong. It's a metagme issue, not just a kit-to-kit comparison issue.

For us that dont have a phd in overwatch, could you try to explain what is ment by "controlling space" and "fighting for space" and all about space in OW really? :p

I hear people talk about it all the time, but iv never really understood what they mean by it, and why its important.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I really feel like the ability to limit incoming healing is something the game really needs right now. It's interesting and strong and deals with the current healing nonsense.

You mean other than the Ana 'nade?

Because Mei can't instantly 1 shot 200hp heroes with a hitscan weapon when she unfreeze.

I dunno if it would make him broken, but he'd be an insanely good duelist at the very least. I'd want it on PTR just to see it tbh. At the very least it would be boatloads of fun.

It's because Reaper's DPS output is a lot higher and he can still move in wraith form. It's a change I'd be up for with the state of the game right now. It's not obviously overpowered so I'd like them test it out.

Thx, I was just thinking of those situations when I use wraith form to escape from something (D.Va bomb or Hog hook for example) and I'd rather be back in the fight quickly after the danger is gone instead of waiting for the wraith form to finish.

Grief.exe

playing mccree and ana these days have made me realize that MOST of the times its better to save ult than use it

and its helped my soldier play (that and the aiming)

It drives me up a wall, when someone burns an ult at a time where maybe they pick up an extra kill, but they don't have the teammates alive to back them up.

Save the ult for a time when you have the manpower to get a push.

Anne

You mean other than the Ana 'nade?

Yup yup. It doesn't need to be flat "no healing", but there is too much health going around that you can't DPS race against unless you have high burst damage. It'd also be a good candidate to mess with debuffs and debuff removal more.

For us that dont have a phd in overwatch, could you try to explain what is ment by "controlling space" and "fighting for space" and all about space in OW really? :p

I hear people talk about it all the time, but iv never really understood what they mean by it, and why its important.

Basically when you look at how people position, they have optimal spaces they want to be in. Reaper wants to be close, McCree mid to close, Soldier further out, etc. Then there are also certain angles on the map you want to hold for strategic reasons like covering the point well while being less exposed. The spots where you wanna stick your Roadhog and stuff.

Well, in order to get that space you need to fight for it. In order to get on the point, you need the space in which the point exists in. So you fight back and forth over that space. The best way to do that in the game right now is to have shields take up that space so the enemy team can't use it. Rein is very obvious about this since you can't deal damage to any space behind the shield, and if you try to get behind the shield you'll need to be exposed in some way while getting there. Characters like Roadhog and Widowmaker also control space very well. Anything that can be one shot won't stick around where they can be seen.

Not only is there map space, there's space from certain other heroes. Reaper is a good example. He needs space between him and McCree at basically all times. Same thing with Genji/Tracer, right? It's why you run Winston in dive comps, the bubble can separate people away from McCree and free up space for Tracer/Genji to jump on supports, or Reaper to jump on a tank.

That's kind of the basic idea, but it's very important. Rein controls space hard with the shield, Lucio speed lets him more freely move around where he wants to be, Ana keeps him healthy and sustained when people try to make him give up space, Roadhog will poke at shields and punish anything in unshielded space, etc.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
On the other hand people saving up ults forever because they think they can get that 5 man PotG instead of helping us win the team fight with a kill or 2 drives me up the wall as well.

Antiwhippy

What? Nah. I love rein. Without him the game wouldn't be about positioning at all and it would be who got the first pick during their winston + genji dive.

Remember when winston got played more than rein and the game was about 2 deathballs running into each other and they flipped a coin to see who won?

caesar

Banned
That would probably be too good but as is wraith form can definitely feel a bit clunky.

If you think about it, he still has to go all in if he could cancel wraith. He still couldn't unwraith in front of mccree with flash. It just lessens those very sad situations where he slowly floats away while you follow him at walking speed and instantly frag him when it ends.

Antiwhippy

But he's not the real Daddy of the game.

Yeah, same. I love Rein and he's super cool and interesting. There just needs to be super cool and interesting ways to fight him.

I think it's more about we need more tank options that facilitate proper positioning that isn't just bypassing it altogether.

You really only have 2 choices for main tank right now. Winston for dive and rein for everything else. Just too binary atm.

Skii

If you think about it, he still has to go all in if he could cancel wraith. He still couldn't unwraith in front of mccree with flash. It just lessens those very sad situations where he slowly floats away while you follow him at walking speed and instantly frag him when it ends.

Like if they just did the wraith cancel and increased teleport speed/invulnerability, I think it would make him a lot more viable.

Antiwhippy

They should just make reaper not say "DEATH COMES" in a really loud voice when he teleports and he'll be better.

Like, real stealthy bro.

hypernima

Banned
I dunno if I should try for plat tonight.
My SH is 2440 and I just have always gotten stuck on a team game where people have not felt secure enough in their roles to perform well.

I don't even know if I'm playing my best as I can when I play.
I'm just really bummed out that I could not get out of gold this season.

Anne

I think it's more about we need more tank options that facilitate proper positioning that isn't just bypassing it altogether.

You really only have 2 choices for main tank right now. Winston for dive and rein for everything else. Just too binary atm.

Even if they add more tanking options, it'd still come down to just always picking whoever has the best shield. Until there are better counter options to shielding/healing it'll just be a game of pick the best healing/shielding combo on whatever patch it is.

even the goofy stuntsman soldier

I don't really fuck with facial hair that much. Sorry Soldier Reynolds.

Antiwhippy

Bastion ain't going to bury tank comps lol. His DPS against them is lower if anything due to no headshots.

I feel like I'm the only one somewhat lukewarm to the bastion changes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
when will our new emperor bastion have his update hit?

I want to enjoy the dying tank meta before it's buried

with the decreased range and headshots, Bastion's only use against tanks is going to be killing shields now

they basically removed another Hog counter

Anne

Bastion ain't going to bury tank comps lol. His DPS against them is lower if anything due to no headshots.

I feel like I'm the only one somewhat lukewarm to the bastion changes.

I'm pretty meh about them too. I like the ideas, don't think it's quite enough. Would be okay with being proven wrong.

caesar

Banned
My SH is 2440 and I just have always gotten stuck on a team game where people have not felt secure enough in their roles to perform well.

You have nothing to lose by trying..

Antiwhippy

Even if they add more tanking options, it'd still come down to just always picking whoever has the best shield. Until there are better counter options to shielding/healing it'll just be a game of pick the best healing/shielding combo on whatever patch it is.

Hmm true, I think a new tank should probably be to facilitate a new comp altogether. I feel like the only 2 options are a poke/siege or dive comp now, but I really can't think of another option you can make with the heroes currently in the game.

Who are you playing? I honestly gave up even trying to heal teams because it's just impossible if your DPS isn't doing shit, and that was when I started to climb. I just went DPS most of the time and then Mei whenever it was payload just to stall the shit out of it.

Exception being Lucio so that nobody else could take him and then just let him sit on healing aura for the entire game. Speed boost can overcome even shitty teamwork a lot of the time. :p

Skii

Everyone on this thread has been getting promotions lately so I reckon you can do it.

Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom