• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash - Official E3 2016 Trailer

I want to love this because that trailer is oozing charm and it just looks absolutely gorgeous, but I get the feeling it's gonna be a disaster.
Yeah, for as much as I love to hate Sticker Star, both that and this have fantastic visuals, sound and presentation. The intro for this trailer this in particular was great.

It's just a shame gameplay and story, two of the most important elements of an RPG, seem completely and utterly abysmal. It really does seem like they learnt fuck all from the criticism of the last game and if this tanking is what it takes to get a sequel to my favorite game of all time then so be it.

Wow this looks sublime!!!! Sticker star system can't be that bad can it?
It really is that bad.

Actually, scratch that, it's a step beyond bad, it's fundamentally broken. All improvements seen so far take Color Splash to the lofty height of "just bad."

Wow this looks sublime!!!! Sticker star system can't be that bad can it?

The primary issue was a lack of progression and unique rewards from battling, both of which are alleviated in this game. It doesn't hurt that I genuinely like a lot of regular enemy design in SS and Color Splash seems to expand on that.

Story wise, I don't think it's possible to fully comment on that, but dialogue sequences are as lovely as you can expect from the Paper Mario Series. However, I like that it opens with a mystery rather than Bowser Kidnapping peach.

The only real issue seems to be the Boss Fights which appear to retain the Gear Check Status from SS, a Shame but to call the game a blight on the paper Mario Series in light of blatant refinements is just ignorant. Mind you I hated Sticker Star. It was a truly mediocre experience.

Probably going to end up an 8/10 experience overall, not even kidding.

Puruzi

Banned
4SxJzaD.png

Ezalc

The worst part about this, is how fucking gorgeous this looks and it's all wasted on a shit battle system that is completely unlike all the most beloved features of the two critically acclaimed entries in the series.

Celine

The worst part about this, is how fucking gorgeous this looks and it's all wasted on a shit battle system that is completely unlike all the most beloved features of the two critically acclaimed entries in the series.
What's wrong with Color Splash battle system?

Timeaisis

Seems fun. I'll wait and see.

I was burned by Sticker Star, but similar mechanics don't necessarily mean terrible gameplay.

What's wrong with Color Splash battle system?

I don't think that there's anything actually wrong with the combat system this time. Nothing appears to be fundamentally broken or missing like the lack of progression in SS.

It's a battle of resource conservation and adaptability with multiple resources, which is actually rather interesting, but difficult to execute. A successful implemented system with this goal could produce something more interesting than TTYD's combat.

The issue comes down to enemy design which is actually looking rather nice for the grunts. But bosses seem to have rather large issues, mind you we've only seen one and we don't know if another item can achieve the same effect.

Fou-Lu

Battle system still seems to have the issue of not giving you any reason to fight. You can just avoid the battles and be better off.

kunonabi

As bummed as I am about the boss battles I'm still going to get it. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics being my last major Wii U title for the year is just too depressing to consider.

Battle system still seems to have the issue of not giving you any reason to fight. You can just avoid the battles and be better off.

You objectively get progression in the form of resource expansions from fights. Which means you are better off fighting more often than not.

Akiraptor

Oh joy, looks like this will be more like Sticker Star than any other Paper Mario game. The game looks beautiful, but without a story I have no interest in it. The first three games were great because they had an interesting story, memorable characters, and charm that let them stand out from the other Mario games.

Sticker Star had none of that, just generic Mario elements. I was really hoping they'd take the series back to its roots, but I guess I'll just have to enjoy my times with the old games.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Agreed, the game looks nice and the writing seems to be good but the battle system just seem pointless as you don't gain any exp in battle.

Agreed, the game looks nice and the writing seems to be good but the battle system just seem pointless as you don't gain any exp in battle.
Seems like it does the same thing, if it's like Sticker Star where you get moved for battling enemies.

Normal RPGs you fight and get stronger to fight stronger enemies to get more experience to fight stronger enemies, etc, etc. In Sticker Star you fight enemies to get more powerful attacks that let you fight more powerful enemies, etc, etc. It's definitely different, but it was no worse for me when I was actually playing the game.

And Sticker Star (and I assume Color Splash) have a strong emphasis on exploring areas and puzzle solving, so I appreciate that I can skip encounters when I want to without feeling like I'm being penalized for not constantly gaining experience, which could screw me over in later fights in a normal RPG.

key

Why are people saying this game doesn't have a story? My experience with the Paper Mario series is extremely limited, but it appears from the trailers I've seen that this game definitely has a story. What am I missing?

HELP! One of my beloved RPG series is being held hostage by extremely creative and witty game developers! Game looks great, but I dont want that battle system!

I didn't actually notice that. So that's something at least. Still I do take issue with the game in other ways:

But no matter what I say I'll end up trying it anyway.
I admit it does suck they keep using Toads now. According to Nintendo they don't really want Paper Mario to be an RPG anymore. They said that's for the Mario and Luigi series.

I haven't touched the Paper Mario games but that does look troubling and the trailer and demo didn't help, with that said I don't have the knowledge base of the other games to make a direct comparison if I pick Color Splash up. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

It's hard to be mad at Nintendo this E3 because of how awesome Zelda is, but this particular game.....still not looking good. Completely tone-deaf to the fanbase's reception to Sticker Star.

I hate what Paper Mario has become. I hate how self-aware it has become of its own artstyle. The original game had the paper-ness look as nothing more than a visual choice. And, unless my memory is failing me, there is absolutely no direct references in the game to its own visual style. Maybe little things like Mario falling down like a piece of paper, but that's about it. Other than that, it was all about going through the story and exploring the world of the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Thousand Year Door was similar, although it did have some mechanics that were a direct homage to Mario being a piece of paper. But they were used sparingly and fit naturally into the puzzle solving of the game. Honestly, though, looking back, that was a sort of warning of what Paper Mario would become.

Flash forward to now, and the entire premise and foundation of Paper Mario as a character and as a franchise is just....paper. Everything is paper, everything revolves around paper, everything acts like paper, everyone in the game talks about being paper, all of Mario's moves are about being paper, all the jokes are about paper.....it's ridiculously excessive. It's like the series has just become a parody of itself. Even in Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Paper Mario is just treated more of just a funny object than an actual character from a different universe. I don't know why Nintendo became so obsessed with this. Yeah, maybe its funny and clever once in a while to break the fourth wall and knowledge the paper-ness, but now it's just the entire reason the series exists. All mechanics and gimmicks, with no substance.

Bakkus

Why are people saying this game doesn't have a story? My experience with the Paper Mario series is extremely limited, but it appears from the trailers I've seen that this game definitely has a story. What am I missing?
Like SS this game's "story" only serves to drive the game forward. Nothing more unlike The first 3 games in the series where tons of other story tidbits happened along the way.

bowser is not the main villain, it is a red herring

the koopalings' master is kept a secret even though revealing it is bowser would not be a surprise
although Bowser is supposedly the enemy, it is Shy Guys who get the spotlight, not Goombas and Koopas
who sent the "dead" Toad to Peach? the villain wouldn't want to call for mario's attention and effectively sabotage himself
and finally, why does Morton speak about himself in the third person? he was stupid in paper jam but not to that extent
and finally, why is the island being drained of its colors? why does the villain want to get the paint stars (he sent the koopalings specifically to get them, not to guard them)?

i think it is possible that Bowser's ressources were taken over and that it is Bowser himself who sent the "letter" to Peach
alternatively, Bowser is draining the island of its colors while also looking for the paint stars for a greater reason than just "power-up his own eggmanland" like in 3D World

I think it is interesting that we have no idea what the villain's intentions are, although they were clear in Sticker Star
the developer who was interviewed also said there would be more focus on the story and that she didn't want to reveal too much of it to avoid spoiling a twist (the game having at least one spoiler-able twist makes it ten times more interesting than Sticker Star, of which the only twist was "yeah the royal stickers make people go crazy actually, don't blame bowser")

i'm still worried because we don't get luigi sidestories or intermission gameplay
however, i'm reassured that the thing cards won't be necessary for boss fights - pretty sure an ice flower or two can undo the fire mallet

however, i'm reassured that the thing cards won't be necessary for boss fights - pretty sure an ice flower or two can undo the fire mallet
Why would you assume this at all? The fire extinguisher worked against Morton in the exact same fashion thing stickers worked on bosses in Sticker Star.

separate post to avoid grouping this with the baseless speculation above

World map:
1466042095-cs-map.png

Bosses are the Koopalings - 8 chapters? The fountain in the Town Square would indicate 6 artefacts to collect though:
1466042298-cs-town.png

This would also line up with the map above. Maybe there are 7 chapters and the last world has both Bowser and a Koopaling to fight, à la Super Mario World? Maybe there are 6 chapters instead, with the final boss possessing the final Big Paint Star, as in Sticker Star.

Why exactly Huey is sometimes in 2D is not touched upon, apparently.

As I said earlier, it is not impossible that Bowser is not actually the main villain of the story, as no clear references are made to him, not even by Morton, and the mystery of who exactly sent the letter at the beginning of the game is not solved.

The map looks more unlinear than ever before. Levels are not numbered anymore, and it is possible to go from the first world to the water world to the mountain (?) world without completing either. However, as we can see after defeating Morton, Big Paint Stars are still necessary to open up certain pathways.

Why would you assume this at all? The fire extinguisher worked against Morton in the exact same fashion thing stickers worked on bosses in Sticker Star.

Things were not necessary for bosses in Sticker Star though.

Things were not necessary for bosses in Sticker Star though.
Technically not necessary but only if you enjoyed beating your head against a rock repeatedly, they were designed to be defeated by their specific thing stickers, and were designed to be very nearly impossible without them.

As someone who's never really been into Paper Mario, I probably will buy it. I do think the whole ban on original characters policy is pretty dumb though.

Technically not necessary but only if you enjoyed beating your head against a rock repeatedly, they were designed to be defeated by their specific thing stickers, and were designed to be very nearly impossible without them.

"Very nearly impossible"? If you cannot play the game, sure. And using regular attacks is "banging your head against a rock" as much as it is in every other Mario RPG. The bosses in Sticker Star weren't any better or worse than those in other Mario RPGs and honestly far from being my problems with that game.

"Very nearly impossible"? If you cannot play the game, sure. And using regular attacks is "banging your head against a rock" as much as it is in every other Mario RPG. The bosses in Sticker Star weren't any better or worse than those in other Mario RPGs and honestly far from being my problems with that game.
I don't know if we played the same game because the boss battles were the thing I think I hated the absolute most in that dreadful game.

Top Bottom