• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario (Wii U VC) |OT| Jr. Troopa Brings the Pain.. AGAIN!

TheMoon

I can't imagine we'll get many N64 VC games that aren't 50Hz.
Fuckin' sucks.

Though it's worth noting that DK64 is not as bad as the 50Hz SNES games.

I think it's to do with sprite based games vs polygonal stuff and how the animation works kinda different.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think the main things to consider would be maxing your level and partners, collecting every badge, getting the Ultra Boots and Ultra Hammer, and beating any and all optional bosses.

There are a bunch of minor things one could also do for the sake of doing them, like the Tayce T. recipes and having Goombario use Tattle on everything imaginable, but that's up to you if you want to do them since the game doesn't really make a big deal about it.

Hmm, yeah.

Anything I should look out for I can permanently miss?

Chrom

Hmm, yeah.

Boss tattles, if you count those.

Yeah, there's a lot of unique dialogue that can be easily missed if you don't have Goombario around 24/7, haha.

As for more tangible missables, there actually are. Specifically, it's possible to permanently lose the items you pick up during the Princess Peach segments if you don't store them in the magical chest before the start of Chapter 7. Some of these items include one of a kind badges like Power Rush and Last Stand, so don't forget to go back to the chest once you find them.

Jamix012

I think it's to do with sprite based games vs polygonal stuff and how the animation works kinda different.

Possibly but I think mainly the fact that Rare optimised their 50hz games I believe unlike most devs as they're a British company and all.

Watch Da Birdie

Just realized you can totally cheat on the "Jump Attack" game with the Wii U...not gonna lie, might do that if I'm short on cash.

TheMoon

Possibly but I think mainly the fact that Rare optimised their 50hz games I believe unlike most devs as they're a British company and all.

That's not it since all the 50Hz games released for SNES VC were optimized as well in their original form. The unoptimized games were mostly either super early NES stuff (hello Balloon Fight, yuck) or random third party stuff.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
PAL Paper Mario is not optimized. It runs 20% slower than the NTSC versions.
PAL DK64 is, it runs almost identically as the NTSC version because Rare cared.

Watch Da Birdie

So...I sort of think the Dry Dry segment is a bit of a bore, hopefully this is just a bump in the road---I mean, desert levels have a habit of being sort of lackluster.

Also, I recently replayed Paper Mario TTYD, and it didn't feel like I had to switch party members nearly as much as I do in this Paper Mario---feels like there's way more of a "puzzle" element in this game compared to TTYD, which felt a bit more traditional with more options. Here I'm switching Party Members every fight to cover the bases.

Can't wait till I find the Badge that lets you switch without wasting a turn. No clue how I played this game as a kid while ignoring Badges, so many of them are easily game changing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I think the main problem is that people try to judge it as a platformer or as a full-blown RPG. The genre that SPM truly belongs to was long forgotten by the time of its release, sadly. It fits in with games like Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Faxanadu, Ys 3, Wonder Boy, etc. The sidescrolling RPG.

There was a definite clash of expectations for many people going in, which no doubt contributed to the poor experiences. For me, I was ecstatic to get a new game in that genre, and was not remotely disappointed. I absolutely love SPM.

This is pretty much how I see SPM. Being a Monster World fan, I felt pure bliss playing through it for the first time.

It's an amazing game.

So...I sort of think the Dry Dry segment is a bit of a bore, hopefully this is just a bump in the road---I mean, desert levels have a habit of being sort of lackluster.

Also, I recently replayed Paper Mario TTYD, and it didn't feel like I had to switch party members nearly as much as I do in this Paper Mario---feels like there's way more of a "puzzle" element in this game compared to TTYD, which felt a bit more traditional with more options. Here I'm switching Party Members every fight to cover the bases.

Can't wait till I find the Badge that lets you switch without wasting a turn. No clue how I played this game as a kid while ignoring Badges, so many of them are easily game changing.

Paper Mario does have more of a puzzle aspect given that there's far more enviormental puzzles to deal with than in TTYD. Although usually, when it came to party members, I'd usually use the latest one given to me before I switch to Watt full time.

Link Man

Banned
Paper Mario does have more of a puzzle aspect given that there's far more enviormental puzzles to deal with than in TTYD. Although usually, when it came to party members, I'd usually use the latest one given to me before I switch to Watt full time.
Surely this is after you Tattle all the enemies in the area, right?

Watch Da Birdie

Had a weird glitch just now...was in Dry Dry Ruins, and the music at one point fades out when you're right before the Boss. I guess because I didn't go to the Boss directly, but instead backtracked to pick up something, the music became "stuck" with the Dry Dry Ruins music lightly in the background, so Tutankoopa's Boss Music didn't play. This glitch actually persisted till I reset the game, even when it switched to the Peach segment the Dry Dry Ruins music was still slightly playing in the background.

Has this ever happened to anyone in the 64 version, or is this a Wii U VC-only glitch?

Watch Da Birdie

Tempted to say I like how PM64 has a more "connected" world than TTYD, where it felt like in the latter every area was a pretty distinct location and there wasn't the same level of cohesive world building that 64 has. I mean, 64 isn't that deep either, but there's a lot of nice touches like the Letters and Goombario's tattles that show how characters in different places are related.

One little favorite one I like is how Goombario mentions in his tattle of Ismael, the fisherman, how his father often goes fishing with him---and then later I got a letter for Goompa who told me it was from an old friend

Also I got some Badge that makes it really easy to pull off Guard Action Commands, like it seems like I barely have to try and I end up blocking---combined with the Badge that reduces damage when guarding, I feel kind of cheap. Might ditch the easy Action Command Badge honestly if it proves too good.

Tempted to say I like how PM64 has a more "connected" world than TTYD, where it felt like in the latter every area was a pretty distinct location and there wasn't the same level of cohesive world building that 64 has. I mean, 64 isn't that deep either, but there's a lot of nice touches like the Letters and Goombario's tattles that show how characters in different places are related.
I agree with you there. I get the sense of the world more than TTYD where I feel like Rougeport is just a HUB world.

I also like that this game has less exploits making a BP run (putting all points into it first, then FP) feel like a good challenge. TTYD's challenge runs are way easily broken with some badges.

I think the main things to consider would be maxing your level and partners, collecting every badge, getting the Ultra Boots and Ultra Hammer, and beating any and all optional bosses.

There are a bunch of minor things one could also do for the sake of doing them, like the Tayce T. recipes and having Goombario use Tattle on everything imaginable, but that's up to you if you want to do them since the game doesn't really make a big deal about it.
I would consider badge collecting optional as well. 100% tends to be maxed level on all partners, beat all bosses (even optional), collect all star pieces (to buy out all badge inventory), and all items. TTYD has a steeper 100% since it tracks each enemy info, badges, and extra optional partner.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, PM64 seems way harder than TTYD, which I felt the latter it was easier to brute-force through by leveling up and such. I feel like in 64 you really have to be on your toes, conserve FP, and constantly rotate partners to make it through. But as I said I got a pretty great-seeming Badge that seems like it'll make Mario lose way less HP since I had a bit of trouble with Action Commands before it.

Recipes are tracked in Mario's House, so I guess I'll try to get all that too...

But how tedious is that? I've been trying to hold onto items in case they're rare to use in Recipes---but I end up using them. And it seems like the only way to discover recipes are through a guide, which takes the fun from it.

Frodo

Completely forgot about this.

Need to get it ASAP. One of the games I never had the chance to play when I had my N64.

Mr-Joker

Banned
PAL Paper Mario is not optimized. It runs 20% slower than the NTSC versions.
PAL DK64 is, it runs almost identically as the NTSC version because Rare cared.

Wait Paper Mario is out on the European Wii U virtual console, when did this happened?

Yeah, PM64 seems way harder than TTYD, which I felt the latter it was easier to brute-force through by leveling up and such. I feel like in 64 you really have to be on your toes, conserve FP, and constantly rotate partners to make it through. But as I said I got a pretty great-seeming Badge that seems like it'll make Mario lose way less HP since I had a bit of trouble with Action Commands before it.
I think it has to do with point limits. You are limited to 30 BP, which means you have to nitpick what you equip. TTYD has a 99 BP limit, which means you should never need to decide what to equip.
In PM, each has a max at 50 HP, 50 FP, and 30 BP. TTYD is 99 HP, 99 FP, 99 BP.

It runs on SMRPG logic where you can max out your level pretty easy. TTYD it is much harder to get Level 99 unless you try.

RM8

I really don't need to buy this again. Right? :x Okay I will.

Super Paper Mario was my favorite game on the Wii, and probably my favorite Nintendo game ever.

Guess I'm some kind of scumbag or something. Sucks for me.
Try being a Sticker Star fan on GAF :p

Surely this is after you Tattle all the enemies in the area, right?

No.

Considering there's nothing to log it, there's not much of a point to me Tattling.

Especially since I went through this game more than 10 times. I'm confident in what I do, even if it means having lower HP, which is fine since I understand exploiting earlier bosses to compensate.

Dr. Buni

Super Paper Mario was my favorite game on the Wii, and probably my favorite Nintendo game ever.

Guess I'm some kind of scumbag or something. Sucks for me.
Super Paper Mario is the best game in the series for me and to make things worse, I found TTYD boring (even though I love the chars, visuals and music). We are the anti-christs.

Try being a Sticker Star fan on GAF :p
It is a terrible Paper Mario game, but a decent game by itself like Nuts and Bolts.

Just got to the Peach baking part. The "Sugar and Eggs" typo still drives me nuts because I put 2 eggs and he spits it out. It should say "Sugar and an Egg".

Hmm, yeah.

Luckily no, Tubba's Castle even gets put back into place. Volcano also you can explore it again.
The Mario RPG series is good about not having permanent misses.

Anything you miss with Peach Mario can get later as well...

Edit: If you count boss tattles, then yes. Anti-Guy is the only exception.

Edit 2: Dry Dry Desert and Clouds are the worst chapters IMO.

Watch Da Birdie

I read if you collect any Badges as Peach and don't put them in the Chest before the beginning of Chapter 7, they're gone for good...that true?

Chrom

I read if you collect any Badges as Peach and don't put them in the Chest before the beginning of Chapter 7, they're gone for good...that true?

That is what I mentioned previously, yes. The items do not return to their original locations if you don't ever get around to depositing them.

Chrom

The quizzes you cannot get wrong so you can miss star pieces in that case.

Are you referring to the Chuck Quizmo quizzes? If so, I don't believe that's true. None of the Star Pieces you get from him are missable because he will continue to return with his questions until you get them all.

I'm pretty sure he means the game in the underground. And yeah, that could be save scummed really easily.

Ahh I think I vaguely remember what you're talking about. Probaly the only area of the game I have little to no knowledge of because it's utterly pointless, much like the pigs. Though at least I messed with the pigs on my first couple playthroughs.

Having a great time playing though it (completely) for the first time. Made it past the point I would typically stop at and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Doesn't quite have the same feel as TTYD, but it's definitely a great game.

Are you referring to the Chuck Quizmo quizzes? If so, I don't believe that's true. None of the Star Pieces you get from him are missable because he will continue to return with his questions until you get them all.
Oh, that is good. I never try to miss because he would go back to question 1.
Edit: Apparently that only happened with my cart. Must have been a glitch.

Red Devil

Edit 2: Dry Dry Desert and Clouds are the worst chapters IMO.

You mean garden not clouds, and I agree, but fortunately they're both followed by what in my opinion are the best two chapters in the game. The desert felt like kind of a drag although the ruins' "dungeon" was kinda cool, the garden while visually appealing felt like a chore.

Link Man

Banned
No.

Considering there's nothing to log it, there's not much of a point to me Tattling.

Especially since I went through this game more than 10 times. I'm confident in what I do, even if it means having lower HP, which is fine since I understand exploiting earlier bosses to compensate.

Well, I find Tattle useful for getting an onscreen HP counter without having to waste BP.

Watch Da Birdie

Why does Watt's damage seem to fluctuate even when I seemingly get the Action Command right?

He was doing 4 against General Guy, then suddenly she just does 1...is there some built in cap to keep the fight from getting too easy with Watt?

Top Bottom