• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

Not sure if posted already, but this is one interesting and disheartening article about the Molenbeek part of Brussels:

http://www.politico.eu/article/mole...adicalization-suburb-brussels-gentrification/

That's quite a sad description of the place indeed. What struck me since Molenbeek has been pictured as a European "terrorist nest" by the media, is how nice the city/area seems to be in all the pictures. Even going through it with Google Street makes me think "I wouldn't mind living there..." (it's actually quite similar to my home town, a small French city not far from the Belgian border).
It's all the more striking that in France when you mention such empoverished areas with large immigrant population, you usually think of the "cités" with huge, unattractive towers made of concrete. Such urbanism has always been criticized as part of the problem for integration of the local population, but apparently the problem remains in regular cities with cute individual houses.

News from today (prosecutor).

1. Abadaaoud (who was killed last wednesday) was planning on a suicide-bomb at La Défense, with an accomplice (maybe the other guy killed) on the 18th or 19th.

2. He may have returned on the location of the attacks in the Xe and XI district on the same night (!)

3. This guy who may have been the bomb expert is WANTED (probably armed and dangerous).International warrant has been issued.

e9icR1w.jpg

Finally, lots of love for all Tunisian reading this or anyone affected by this new tragedy.

Alx

News from today (prosecutor).

1. Abadaaoud (who was killed last wednesday) was planning on a suicide-bomb at La Défense, with an accomplice (maybe the other guy killed) on the 18th or 19th.

2. He may have returned on the location of the attacks in the Xe and XI district on the same night (!)

3. This guy who may have been the bomb expert is WANTED (probably armed and dangerous).International warrant has been issued.

e9icR1w.jpg

Woah, that may explain why the Fnac CNIT cancelled an event around those days. Or it may have been a coincidence.
It's really close to my office. Some of my colleagues were already very close from the "terrasses" attacks, they would have a nervous breakdown if a second one happened next door.

Also, I wonder how they can have such perfect photos of the wanted guy. Was it taken during a previous arrest ?

pulsemyne

Reuters reporting a hostage situation near the Belgium/french border with multiple people shot and injured.

"Hostage situation reported in northern French town of Roubaix near Belgium: medical services"

"There are multiple injured with gunshot wounds - reports"

chadskin

Reuters reporting a hostage situation near the Belgium/french border with multiple people shot and injured.

"Hostage situation reported in northern French town of Roubaix near Belgium: medical services"

This sounds like Abdeslam.

Joni

That's quite a sad description of the place indeed. What struck me since Molenbeek has been pictured as a European "terrorist nest" by the media, is how nice the city/area seems to be in all the pictures. Even going through it with Google Street makes me think "I wouldn't mind living there..." (it's actually quite similar to my home town, a small French city not far from the Belgian border).
It's all the more striking that in France when you mention such empoverished areas with large immigrant population, you usually think of the "cités" with huge, unattractive towers made of concrete. Such urbanism has always been criticized as part of the problem for integration of the local population, but apparently the problem remains in regular cities with cute individual houses.
The profile for the Belgian Syria Fighters is so diverse. It is not just poor kids without chances, like jejoen is from a middle class family and one of the brothers behind paris owned a bar.

Wow, cant believe this is still going on.

This sounds like Abdeslam.

Unrelated to the attacks as far as we know.

pulsemyne

Latest update was that this was a traffic stop gone wrong and the people used AK's to fire at police etc. The hostages are a bank manager and his family at a petrol station.

jstripes

Banned
Wow, cant believe this is still going on.
It's going to go on for a while.

Latest update was that this was a traffic stop gone wrong and the people used AK's to fire at police etc. The hostages are a bank manager and his family at a petrol station.
One the other hand, it's a traffic stop gone right, because they've found some nasty people.

It's a shame it turned violent.

Joni

Belgium has finally given more information on the actions this weekend. They found evidence for an attack on Sunday, which was stopped by the interventions.

Yep. How often do armed robberies occur in France?
Probably often enough for it to be a coincidence instead of a robber thinking the timing was good. Because he'd be dead wrong.

Kurtofan

Did they get the official Illuminati video voice over dude? Sounds just like one.

Also, lol at the part where they say "fornicators" and show a headshot of Bill Clinton.

You can't do anything but laugh at this video. So stupid.

These people rape 9 year old girls but we're the perverts and fornicators...

edit: btw I'm not watching any of their shit propaganda, not about to humor them.

Joni

Terror alert in Brussels has been lowered to a 3.
After a little anthrax scare at the Great Mosque. It was just flower or a substance like that.

Alx

Flour ? Do they cook waffles at the Great Mosque ? :p
Nice that things are calming down, even if they didn't catch the guy they were looking for (I assume).

I'm taking the opportunity of that update to mention that tomorrow will be a national hommage to the victims of the Friday attacks. President Hollande suggested that French people not attending hang a French flag to their window. I think it's not a bad idea, especially since it's the occasion to take the flag back to its true meaning. Until now if you were waving the "tricolor" outside of a football competition, people would assume you were a right wing nationalist.
I bought my first flag ever on my lunch break today, and wasn't the only one doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom