• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

I wonder if they would go as far to do that. Turn Molenbeek upside down just to find the culprit
It is not to find this culprit. It is to find all the hornets in the nest and to actually find out who lives where in that own. It is suspected a lot of people are living there unregistered.

Dilly

Banned
I wonder on what grounds Jambon is going to search every house in Molenbeek.

Belgium suggested an European intelligence agency ages ago, no one wanted it even though it makes sense.

Joni

I wonder on what grounds Jambon is going to search every house in Molenbeek.

Belgium suggested an European intelligence agency ages ago, no one wanted it even though it makes sense.

A standard census check. If you move into a town, your residence needs to be established by the local police officer, a pure formality. If this has been done incorrectly in the past, he can argue it should be redone. There are also procedures to do this if there is a belief of fraud.

Corto

Yeah it's been discussed for a long time, but intelligence is one of the "sovereign" parts on which each country wants to keep full control.
I think more efficient communication between services would be a good start. According to French PM, foreign intelligence agencies had located Abaaoud in Greece earlier this year, and French intelligence got that info three days after the attacks, probably from Morocco.

Absolutely. According to a Portuguese politician former European Commissioner that dealt with these issues a few years ago, european intelligence services still function with the quid pro quo, trade of secrets mentality. They hold their critical info as currency not sharing it efficiently between them only trading for some data in some specific time or situation or as needed with other services. That will surely change from now on. Hopefully.

Dawg

Feels weird seeing my capital like this.

CUV6KFvWwAElG9n.jpg:large

CUV6KNTXIAAYu1h.jpg:large

CUV6KPTWIAEsFxU.jpg:large

CUV6KSqWoAUQwIe.jpg:large

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Apparently they raised the level to 4 because they had intel an attack on Paris level was being planned for Brussels. Hence no major events and everything getting closed.

Condom

I don't even know if this is part of the media hype or truly a threat of another attack so close after Paris. Putin calling for an international war on terror, at least we do not live in a boring part of history.

Cappa

Banned
Welp I travel to Brussels on the 28th might reconsider if things don't change not for fear of something happening but everything being shut down

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't even know if this is part of the media hype or truly a threat of another attack so close after Paris. Putin calling for an international war on terror, at least we do not live in a boring part of history.

The Prime Minister said the threat was "very real and very close by". He didn't comment on any of the Molenbeek rumours, all he said in his statement was a Paris-like attack was being planned, with multiple people hitting different targets with explosives.

The terror level is 4 in Brussels, but 3 in the rest of the country. They must've had a serious lead on stuff going down there.

Joni

Welp I travel to Brussels on the 28th might reconsider if things don't change not for fear of something happening but everything being shut down
It depends on why you need to travel and how. It is highly doubtful they can keep this up after the weekend, as one million people have to travel into the city each day. They can't cripple it by keeping the metro closed. It is also only the metro that is down when it comes to public transport. Trains, trams and busses are still driving; the airport is outside of Brussels.

Cappa

Banned
It depends on why you need to travel and how. It is highly doubtful they can keep this up after the weekend, as one million people have to travel into the city each day. They can't cripple it by keeping the metro closed. It is also only the metro that is down when it comes to public transport. Trains, trams and busses are still driving; the airport is outside of Brussels.
It'd be for holidays... Three days than off to Amsterdam might just skip and go to a different city in Belgium or straight to Amsterdam

Joni

It'd be for holidays... Three days than off to Amsterdam might just skip and go to a different city in Belgium or straight to Amsterdam
Yeah, that might be a better solution if it is just for the weekend. But just follow the news for the moment.

At 13:44hrs on Saturday, 21 November, officers stopped a vehicle on Blackfriars Road at the junction with Cambridge Circus.

The occupants of the vehicle - three men - were arrested.

Local road closures are in place.

Enquires continue.

From Scotland Yard via The Guardian

I wonder if they would go as far to do that. Turn Molenbeek upside down just to find the culprit

I think this will be more gently done. Just go house to house and basiscly see what's up. Look around and ask a couple questions.

I cannot see how they will go house to house and tear the place down figure of speach.

Very curious to see where this will go.

Diablos

What a scary time to be in Europe. The only good news is that they are catching a lot of terrorists and no doubt gathering a plethora of intelligence.

It's so sad when I read the news and your officials are basically telling you "don't do anything in public unless you really have to be there." Reminds me of 9/11 and all the negative feelings that go along with it.

So about the rise in security in brussels.

It's about 2 suspects who are possibly carrying bombs.

Maybe Salah Abdeslam and another unknown suspect(s).

Source: Het nieuwsblad(national newspaper)

Joni

Looks like Salah Abdeslam was to blow himself up in the 18th of Paris. It was mentioned in the IS letter but there was no attack there, but it is now clear it is his car that was found there on the night of the attacks and he is supposed to have fled with a suicide vest.
His family also wants him to give up and turn himself in now.

Joni

Very strange. Might be something happening nearby.

Situation on Brussels doesn't seem to clear up:
- Belfius still recommending people to work from home.
- KBC - another major bank - has decided to close down its headquarters for the day.
- Brussels University will probably cancel classes.

I'm hoping I can actually get to work tomorrow. I'm going by car and I work just outside the center, so I should be okay to get there. Still, company has already sent a mail that will evaluate the situation. I'm mainly worried about the fact I usually park will be closed tomorrow or not.

Micerider

Very strange. Might be something happening nearby.

Situation on Brussels doesn't seem to clear up:
- Belfius still recommending people to work from home.
- KBC - another major bank - has decided to close down its headquarters for the day.
- Brussels University will probably cancel classes.

I'm hoping I can actually get to work tomorrow. I'm going by car and I work just outside the center, so I should be okay to get there. Still, company has already sent a mail that will evaluate the situation. I'm mainly worried about the fact I usually park will be closed tomorrow or not.

I confirm, I'm also a team manager in the financial sector in Brussels and our crisis center asked me to contact my entire team tonight to ask them NOT to come to Brussels' office tomorrow. And especially to avoid public transportation (well, metro is already not running either way, but that still leaves train, tramway and bus).

The on-going operation at Rue du midi is not yet detailed but there is something going, Police has locked a wide perimeter.

Joni

I confirm, I'm also a team manager in the financial sector in Brussels and our crisis center asked me to contact my entire team tonight to ask them NOT to come to Brussels' office tomorrow.
I hope you work for a competitor of my employer in that case, and not my employer.

pmj

SÄPO has arrested the terrorist who had traveled to Sweden and had some kind of a terror plan in the making.

Threat level still at 4 of 5.

Source: http://www.sakerhetspolisen.se/ovri...19-sakerhetspolisen-har-gripit-misstankt.html

This man is no longer suspected of being a terrorist.

This story was fishy from the start. The man whose name and picture they had plastered on the front page of every paper because they suspected he had snuck into Sweden was in fact a registered asylum seeker, lived in an apartment paid for by the state, and had a social presence on Facebook using his real name, where he documented his journey and life in the town he arrived in. A facebook page with no evidence of radical leanings, in fact the opposite.

And now, after holding him for a couple of days and raiding the refugee home where he lived and arresting everyone there as well, they release him because they had fucking nothing.

Great job Sweden. Great fucking job.

Osahi

Situation seems to be severe in Brussels. Can't imagine they're overreacting that much, not even this government. Hope it is over soon, allthough i don't live or work there. Have an event in the centre tuesday though, probably gonna get cancelled

edit:

Police has asked not to post info about police actions on social media. So belgians started tweeting cat pics on hashtag #brusselslockdown. Gotta love the internet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom