• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAYDAY The Heist | PSN STEAM |OT| You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Seventy5

Awesome, can't wait to play this next week. I preordered on PSN. Hopefully its as good as it looks like it could be!

great news, can't wait

I don't play online on my PS3 ever and need some people to link up with for this game. I have a mic and my PSN ID is TheVisualizer, hit me up!

Bazhard

Banned
Oct 18th? how unfortunate for them, to release it on a day of a huge release.

I will still buy it, but probably in jan/feb when im done playing the massive amount of AAA titles coming, they really shouldn't of pushed it back because i have a feeling it will hurt initial sales which is a same, maybe if i can finish batman before nov i will buy it.

kassatsu

Banned
Oct 18th a huge day on PSN too.

Beat Hazard Ultra ($9.99)
Dungeon Defenders ($14.99)
Max & the Magic Marker: Gold Edition ($9.99)
Okabu
PAYDAY: The Heist ($19.99)
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken ($11.99)

Seventy5

kassatsu said:
Oct 18th a huge day on PSN too.

Beat Hazard Ultra ($9.99)
Dungeon Defenders ($14.99)
Max & the Magic Marker: Gold Edition ($9.99)
Okabu
PAYDAY: The Heist ($19.99)
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken ($11.99)
What the hell! I have been waiting for Dungeon Defenders forever and now its coming out the same day as Payday and soon after Dark Souls and WKC2? I already have a huge backlog....now my backlog is going digital. But hey, two awesome PSN games and the goddamn Batman Tuesday!

Samus4145

Seventy5 said:
What the hell! I have been waiting for Dungeon Defenders forever and now its coming out the same day as Payday and soon after Dark Souls and WKC2? I already have a huge backlog....now my backlog is going digital. But hey, two awesome PSN games and the goddamn Batman Tuesday!

You mean 3! Don't pass on Rocketbirds.

Played it at SOE Fan Faire awhile back. It's not fun. Sorry to be blunt, but from what I played it was a pretty sloppy experience overall.

Controls were really, really loose and weapon recoil felt intentionally inaccurate if only to make the game more "challenging."

Enemy AI was downright awful. Most of the firefights my buddies and I were in were simply just a matter of funneling enemies down a hallway and taking them out. Their AI was pretty freaking terrible.

The level we played through lasted little more than 10 minutes, if that. The level was made intentionally "longer" by the fact that things you have to do take time and break. Example, a door needs to be busted into so you have to go up to it, hit X and start a lockbreaking machine on it. It goes super slow, frustratingly slow. And, about five times during the process, it "jams," meaning you have to run up to it and press and hold X for a certain amount of time to get it started again.

Classes seemed to have zero impact on gameplay, considering any player can just pick up a random weapon from a fallen enemy. Equipment was moot, too. There seemed to be a lot of extraneous stuff, like hostages, etc, but none of them ever seemed to make any real difference in the game.

If it has one thing going for it, it looks nice, especially for a PSN game. But, do I think it'll be worth $20? Probably not.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Played it at SOE Fan Faire awhile back. It's not fun. Sorry to be blunt, but from what I played it was a pretty sloppy experience overall.

Controls were really, really loose and weapon recoil felt intentionally inaccurate if only to make the game more "challenging."

Enemy AI was downright awful. Most of the firefights my buddies and I were in were simply just a matter of funneling enemies down a hallway and taking them out. Their AI was pretty freaking terrible.

The level we played through lasted little more than 10 minutes, if that. The level was made intentionally "longer" by the fact that things you have to do take time and break. Example, a door needs to be busted into so you have to go up to it, hit X and start a lockbreaking machine on it. It goes super slow, frustratingly slow. And, about five times during the process, it "jams," meaning you have to run up to it and press and hold X for a certain amount of time to get it started again.

Classes seemed to have zero impact on gameplay, considering any player can just pick up a random weapon from a fallen enemy. Equipment was moot, too. There seemed to be a lot of extraneous stuff, like hostages, etc, but none of them ever seemed to make any real difference in the game.

If it has one thing going for it, it looks nice, especially for a PSN game. But, do I think it'll be worth $20? Probably not.

thanx for the impressions, you might have persuaded me to spend my hard earned money elsewhere :(

Card Boy

Banned
KoreanBarbecue said:

Now you post this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQhXc1dHIQ

Ultratech

BattleMonkey said:
I think for the most part you start in the middle of the heists, like you start in the bank and basically the dynamic parts are the cops and such trying to get to you and during your escapes

Depends. I played a version at QuakeCon where you started outside the bank and went on from there to pull the heist.

KoreanBarbecue said:

Sad to say, but a lot of this is fairly accurate.

The mission I played involved breaking into the vault (via some drill-type tool) and melting the above floor with Thermite. Sadly, a lot of this stuff takes a long time to get done, and stuff like the drill can be interrupted by the cops or it jams.

Ultratech said:
Depends. I played a version at QuakeCon where you started outside the bank and went on from there to pull the heist.

Sad to say, but a lot of this is fairly accurate.

The mission I played involved breaking into the vault (via some drill-type tool) and melting the above floor with Thermite. Sadly, a lot of this stuff takes a long time to get done, and stuff like the drill can be interrupted by the cops or it jams.

I was really excited for this game a few months back, but the more I read the less inclined I am to actually buy it.

Plasma

Banned
PC users have been shafted again, the game is coming out on PSN tomorrow but won't be coming out on the PC. Only date they've given is the end of the month though I imagine it'll probably get pushed back until after that seeing as publishers are really enjoying taking PC gamers money and then delaying their games.

Between this Renegade Ops and Arkham City I'm getting really tired of not being able to play the best version at launch. I'm starting to wonder if it is worth pre-ordering anything on Steam anymore if this is just going to keep up.

MRORANGE

Plasma said:
]PC users have been shafted again, the game is coming out on PSN tomorrow but won't be coming out on the PC. Only date they've given is the end of the month though I imagine it'll probably get pushed back until after that seeing as publishers are really enjoying taking PC gamers money and then delaying their games.

To my knowledge the PSN European version is delayed as well which contains the language packs which the PC also uses, hence why no PC game coming out tomorrow. Granted they could have released the US PC version to calm fears.

shagg_187 said:
Such a bad timing, really. Everyone and their mother must be playing Arkham City.
I queued it up to dl and went right back to Batman. lol. I'll check it out but I doubt I'll be giving it much of my time. Not for now, at least. Too many games.

MRORANGE

GameTrailers: 80/100
In spite of its few faults and a curious lack of a competitive multiplayer element, Payday: The Heist
manages a fun and fresh cooperative experience that duly pays tribute to a genre rarely seen in games.

dreamfall

Review seemed very positive- I am pretty excited about getting some people on PSN together for the first time in awhile to play.

Jaroof

Already installed this game.
Watching my friend play the first game..
Playing single player right now.
It can get pretty hectic o_O

dreamfall

Jaroof said:
Already installed this game.
Watching my friend play the first game..
Playing single player right now.
It can get pretty hectic o_O

Hectic like a crazy brilliant chaotic good time? Or like it has some interesting design issues?

Jaroof

Intense good time.
Pretty fast paced.
Near the end of the heist that I saw my friend play, he got downed quite a bit.
Also, it was just on normal.

MNC

Looking forward to it but I'm short on cash so sadly can't buy this day one. Plus I'm scared of the eventual replay value; 6 levels of what length? Will there be DLC? Is it randomly generated?

MRORANGE

MNC said:
Looking forward to it but I'm short on cash so sadly can't buy this day one. Plus I'm scared of the eventual replay value; 6 levels of what length? Will there be DLC? Is it randomly generated?

yes & yes.

My very early impressions are mixed. I got the voucher and was quite excited to play it.

+Graphics are nice
+Concept is neat
+Seems to be some neat tools
+tons of unlocks
+Enemy AI aren't amazing, but they do use the tools they have available to them

-Early guns feel off, makes me worried all guns feel off
-Chatter in single player is annoying
-I am not a framerate snob, but this feels low. Or maybe the whole control scheme is heavy. Im really bad at figuring out the difference between the two (but we aren't talking blight town framerates, atleast)

I haven't played online yet, I dont have much interest in playing with randoms. I will hopefully play with friends somewhat soon. Overall it seems to have promise, if the guns get to be more fun, but im not freaking out over how great it is... yet.

Upon further playing....

Im having a lot of fun with it now. The gun sounds are weak, which is important to give a shooter oomph, but otherwise I don't have any major complaints anymore. I got used to how the guns feel. Your AI partners in single player are dumb but that's too be expected.

The level layouts and the mission structure is fun. Im really enjoying it and I haven't even played co op with friends yet. Looks like a winner. So disregard my somewhat downer of a post a couple up from this one ;)

Top Bottom