• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World Struggles To Build PC for $500 to match XOX

Vipu

Banned
Honestly, I think the gap is getting closer with these mid-gen refresh consoles.

Last gen until the start of the current gen, you can build a PC comparable with consoles both in specs and performance (like DF's PC or the Potato Masher). But with the checkerboard 4K, PC build is starting to struggle to match the cost/performance of these consoles. At $500, you can only get a 1060 at most and it's definetely not a 4K card. I also doubt it can match Pro/X performance at 4K 30fps. Checkerboard is a legit tech and we need it on PC.

1060 does fine with 4k 30fps and 60fps.
Also some games have checkerboarding or dynamic resolution, it just depends on devs if they want to add them.

rtcn63

I wouldn't be surprised if a G4560 + 1060 could do 4k30 at medium or better settings in more than a few games. An i5 definitely.

A 1060 can be had for ~$200 on sale. And the 3GB model even less. Come the holidays- well, discounts on everything PC and gaming-related, usually.

The task appears to be 4K/30 or 60 in games that the X1X will be able to run at said frame rate/resolution. Given the PC requirements on games like Forza 7 (which appear very light), I'm not sure a 1060 can't do it. But we won't know until we have actual X1X's on the market to test.

I mean, by just looking at Forza 7 PC specs we can tell that it's not the norm for new AAA games. It's super optimized (or they just smartly hid cheap assets).

1060 does fine with 4k 30fps and 60fps.
Also some games have checkerboarding or dynamic resolution, it just depends on devs if they want to add them.

I have a 1060, but I only have a 1080p TV. Would downsampling from 4K count?

Actually, I haven't tested my new PC to its limit with some of the newer AAA games out there. Maybe I'll try later, still busy with my backlog.

Shin

Banned
On mobile so...

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WDG6bj

Take off 50% off the total because that's what they are buying in for from manufacturers.
Labor, shipping excluded, Ms makes about $18-30 profit on each sold.
PC World can't build it because they are using retail prices.

Yes you can, I've worked in sales all my life and I remember seeing the price we buy in for and the price we were selling for it was literally x2.
On a side note a Gtx 1080Ti costs about $175 to make, the rest is all profit so figure out the margin.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
but the i5 is overkill if the goal is to compare to the X1X. that jaguar is a piece of shit. I'm pretty sure i3's are considerably more powerful.

and who doesn't already own a gamepad? any X1, 360, PS4, PS3, Switch Pro controller will do.

anyway, looks like one can do a prebuilt HP + a 1060 today for about $700. Maybe less with HP coupons and that would be upgradeable and with a superior i5 CPU.

By the time Black Friday is here...well...you'll be in business if a $500 PC is something you really want. :-/

i3 is unwise, DF noted SWBF as an example. Regardless, you're still $750-850 and using a GPU that will be in the region, but not beat the X1X.

You don't just eliminate the cost of necessary components and go straight to Black Friday pricing. If you bork the CPU and UHD BD to i3 and BD you'd save $140 and have a $650-750 rig that's probably weaker than the X1X.

Honestly, I think the gap is getting closer with these mid-gen refresh consoles.

Last gen until the start of the current gen, you can build a PC comparable with consoles both in specs and performance (like DF's PC or the Potato Masher). But with the checkerboard 4K, PC build is starting to struggle to match the cost/performance of these consoles. At $500, you can only get a 1060 at most and it's definetely not a 4K card. I also doubt it can match Pro/X performance at 4K 30fps. Checkerboard is a legit tech and we need it on PC.

Checkboarding isn't the equivalent of native 4k since the videocard itself is pushing from 1800p using a mixture of graphical settings. It's really up to the devs whether they want to implement it or not but similar techniques are used in pc games like rainbow six siege and watchdogs 2. The image isn't as crisp and artifact free as native would be though but it's a good alternative for those with 4k screens.

There will be plenty third party games that won't be checkerboarded and those should be good comparisons. Still 6 tflops isn't that bad so I imagine the rx 580 or 570 won't be too behind. What's in the Xbox one x is definately an improved version of polaris which it should be as its coming out after the rest. The only issue is that cpu. We will get a bunch of comparisons in time.

It doesn't really matter much in the end since the 1060/480 will be nearly a year and a half old by the time xb1x is on the market. You'd have Volta on the horizon a few months later likely going to Q1 2018 which is what new pc owners should be looking at. The next 1160 or whatever could be a good improvement or you could get a 1060 on the cheap. In any case I see this as a good thing since it pushes nvidia and amd to move on.

longdi

Banned
Like i said, wait for Nov and try again.

XBX is good specs but the cpu is just sooo bad. The latest Galaxy and iphones should beat it.

I am impressed MS went with a 384bit bus, a first and expensive. Though the $499 price tag meant they are not as aggressive as previous console launches.They chose to get stuck in the middle or nowhere.

Of course support wise, XBX will always be held back (5 times over) by their own XBS, a deadwood they were not brave enough to cut off.

Vipu

Banned
On mobile so...

Take off 50% off the total because that's what they are buying in for from manufacturers.

Yes you can, I've worked in sales all my life and I remember seeing the price we buy in for and the price we were selling for it was literally x2.
On a side note a Gtx 1080Ti costs about $175 to make, the rest is all profit so figure out the margin.

Its not all profit after 175$ tho I would assume or did you count in all the research and other stuff to actually make the gpu.
Its a bit different to make gpu from nothing than get ready made components and put them together.

ViolentP

Like i said, wait for Nov and try again.

XBX is good specs but the cpu is just sooo bad. The latest Galaxy and iphones should beat it.

I am impressed MS went with a 384bit bus, a first and expensive. Though the $499 price tag meant they are not as aggressive as previous console launches.They chose to get stuck in the middle or nowhere.

Of course support wise, XBX will always be held back (5 times over) by their own XBS, a deadwood they were not brave enough to cut off.

It's certainly a decent piece of hardware for that market. The comparison is just too flawed however. It's like someone in a Prius telling someone building a classic corvette that it's too much time, money, and effort to build.

Shin

Banned
Its not all profit after 175$ tho I would assume or did you count in all the research and other stuff to actually make the gpu.
Its a bit different to make gpu from nothing than get ready made components and put them together.

Research not accounted for with the console or GPU just parts and assembly, in the case of my example stores have warehouses so that's extra costs added and we weren't buying in millions like MS/Sony are so they probably get a bigger discount.
It gives you a rough idea, building a PC with the same specs is possible just you can't get the prices they are :p

Tagyhag

Yeah but good luck getting every game that releases to run as well as it will on the one x. I can't believe people still tout PC and console as being like for like.

Buy a game, put it in, game plays just as the devs intended be it 30 / 60 fps or native 4K / checkerboard. It's never that way on PC so good luck fucking around with endless drivers, settings, poor ports, windows I mean the list goes on.

I never understood this sentiment. You mean to tell me that Vanquish on the 360 which runs like crap for an action game and is incredibly muddy is a better experience than on the PC where you can hit 4K/60fps just because the devs weren't intending on it to play like that?

Assassin's Creed Origins, the game I personally played the most at E3 on actual Xbox One X hardware, looks every bit as good and as convincing as any high end PC title I've seen. If the Xbox One X didn't exist, everybody would believe it was running on some expensive, tricked out PC.

No they wouldn't because it would be running at 60fps. :p

rtcn63

No they wouldn't because it would be running at 60fps. :p

On the other hand, the PC version uses uPlay and fuck me I'd take 30fps on a console over dealing with that shit. Like I've tried. Even Origin is better, and I've had my account hijacked twice.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
In this case I will because the X1X won't even be out until that time of year. Prices will always be much better then.
This console releases Nov. 7th and Black Friday is Nov. 24th and a single day.

---

Let's be honest, most of time when PC gamers talk about cheap builds it's:
1. Exclude Windows or obtain in unscrupulous manner
2. Big honker ATX case
3. Cheap PSU
4. No optical drive, kb/m, hdmi cord, or gamepad
5. Recycled, weak, or outmoded hardware

---

There's no reason to believe a mini-itx build wouldn't be at least $700-800 and that doesn't get you a more powerful system or UHD BD.

It would be easier for PC gamers to just recognize that mid-gen refreshes aligned to AMD's roadmap with semi-custom designs have changed the game. Potato mashers are dead. Good riddance.

This console releases Nov. 7th and Black Friday is Nov. 24th and a single day.

---

Let's be honest, most of time when PC gamers talk about cheap builds it's:
1. Exclude Windows or obtain in unscrupulous manner
2. Big honker ATX case
3. Cheap PSU
4. No optical drive, kb/m, hdmi cord, or gamepad
5. Recycled, weak, or outmoded hardware

---

There's no reason to believe a mini-itx build wouldn't be at least $700-800 and that doesn't get you a more powerful system or UHD BD.

It would be easier for PC gamers to just recognize that mid-gen refreshes aligned to AMD's roadmap with semi-custom designs have changed the game. Potato mashers are dead. Good riddance.
I'm thinking more about pre-built prices, actually.

HP and Dell usually have ridiculous deals that time of year. Not just on Black Friday but the entire month of November. Expect to see more of those.

HariKari

The value proposition for most PC gamers isn't starting from scratch, it's cannibalizing a system that's already in all likelihood more powerful than a 1X except for the GPU, which is an easy fix.

saunderez

On the other hand, the PC version uses uPlay and fuck me I'd take 30fps on a console over dealing with that shit. Like I've tried. Even Origin is better, and I've had my account hijacked twice.
What's the big problem with uPlay these days? It's certainly no Microsoft Store at least in my experience.

kuYuri

Right now is a bad time to price PC builds. SSDs, video cards, and RAM are at an all time high these days. Best to revisit this maybe end of this year or early next year and see if prices stabilize.

With that said, X1X is almost a bargain for what you get.

petran79

Banned
Main problem with XBX is that it cant play PC and PC/PS4 multiplatform games.

So unless you are interested exclusively in Microsoft's titles and dont want to buy a second platform,then it is indeed the best and cheapest console you can get. If you skip Xbox Live subscriptions,the cheaper and better.

If BC is a feature, PC got quite a lot of XB360 titles too that can even run on an old laptop.

Honestly, to me Nintendo Switch is more appealing. At least it doesnt try to compete with the others and focuses on the game library.

Main problem with XBX is that it cant play PC and PC/PS4 multiplatform games.

So unless you are interested exclusively in Microsoft's titles and dont want to buy a second platform,then it is indeed the best and cheapest console you can get. If you skip Xbox Live subscriptions,the cheaper and better.

If BC is a feature, PC got quite a lot of XB360 titles too that can even run on an old laptop.

Honestly, to me Nintendo Switch is more appealing. At least it doesnt try to compete with the others and focuses on the game library.

Switch will always be more appealing, as a second console.

XBX is already getting some heavy hitting PC games like Battlegrounds and Black Desert so yeah theres that and crossplay is the cherry on top

ViolentP

This redditor says his done it? If true, didn't take too long...

If you ever needed a reason to switch to PC, here it is
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6hrojc/if_you_ever_needed_a_reason_to_switch_to_pc_here/

Remember. It's easy to prove that a PC is more powerful than a console. It's easy to prove there is a bigger library. Easy to prove the myriad of additional benefits a PC provides. All that said, there are a large number of people in the world whose best option is still a console.

Have they figured out how to build a library of exclusive​s?

Yes. One that is larger than all consoles combined. The question you should be asking is if that exclusive library is right for you.

petran79

Banned
Switch will always be more appealing, as a second console.

XBX is already getting some heavy hitting PC games like Battlegrounds and Black Desert so yeah theres that and crossplay is the cherry on top

Yes,only for XB/PC games but it is a big if:

If those games appear on Steam,GOG Origin etc,PC has the advantage due to customization,multimonitor and multiple res support,mods and tweaks. I deem this as more important than performance and HDR.

However if games appear only on Windows Store
and if you consider how Microsoft messed up things,it is more convenient for PC users to buy an XB1 instead.

Fitts

A 1060 is not going to cost $150 in November.

The 3gb version has already been available at that price.

Correct me if I am wrong, but arnt consoles better than PCs with equivelant parts anyways? Because of optimization, I feel say Fallout 4 would run better on a PS4 than a PC with the same or equivelant hardware.

This is largely a myth -- especially considering devs tend to prioritize fidelity over performance. (ie settings locked for prettiest screenshots instead of prioritizing 60fps)

Azzanadra

Correct me if I am wrong, but arnt consoles better than PCs with equivelant parts anyways? Because of optimization, I feel say Fallout 4 would run better on a PS4 than a PC with the same or equivelant hardware.

Asmodai48

Actually the equivalent PC performs better for Fallout 4.

dogen

On mobile so...

That CPU is like 1/4 of what's in the XB1X...

Yup. Optimization goes a long way in regards to performance.

On mobile so...

Umm...$953.08
You can't take 50% off. This isn't a Microsoft bill of sale for the Xbox One X. It's an exercise to see if somebody can get the same performance with a $500 PC as they can just by ordering a Xbox One X. We already know that Microsoft gets better prices on parts than a normal consumer can. That's the whole point.

The master race has turned from elites to peasants in seconds.

I get that you're joking but just for fun I will answer seriously. On one hand we have the X1X, a product that according to Microsoft will be sold at cost. It is manufactured by a big corporation which is taking advantage of economies of scale to sell it at the absolute lowest possible price six months from now. On the other hand we have a PC assembled by parts that are available at retail today by manufacturers who aim to make a profit directly from that retail sale.

The difference in price between those two products is a mere $100 or so. That is the price of a retail game and its season pass. For that price you can get X1X-like performance today, all the features of a full PC and free online multiplayer. If this comparison is supposed to show the tremendous value of an X1X compared to similar PC then I find that value to be unimpressive.

Isn't that how it should be?
Mass production has always been the one advantage consoles had on pc

It's that and the fact that console get parts made specifically tailored to play games. It's why they have APUs with GPU way outsized for the CPU in relation to most PCs. PCs need more balanced specs because they need more general purpose capabilities. Yes that means that some console games can't hit 60FPS, but sales have proven that hasn't been an issue for console gamers.

Top Bottom