• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark’s Game Director leaves The Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Might wanna hold on that infinite metacritic. Cyberpunk 2077 got 87 on xsx, 86 on pc.

But that doesnt show the problems the game has.
As I stated before, Halo infinite main issue is the free multiplayer mod, and the state they wanted to release the game in 2020. These are management issues at 343i. XGS needs to have some talk with 343i, and fire the head of the company, for letting these issues pass, as good product. Serious companies dont let these mistakes pass.
You could say that about any game....
Metacritic is the only factual thing we have even if you disagree with it.
But if you criticise halo then you have to do it with other games which scored less or similar to it.

kingfey

Banned
Since the beginning they've said they want to be a really lean team that wants to make AAA following other process than the usual one.

Seeing that they are a ~50 people studio with roles focusing on production, can't it be that they are just a studio that focuses on production and then passes the baton to an external team, CD in this case, to do the heavy work?

Reading the first page of the thread, It's obvious these are great news for Sony fanboys, but I wouldn't celebrate until the game is out
They will still be part of it. Its just that, the initiative isnt the only one that is making the game. They are still new AAA devs, and will need time.

kingfey

Banned
You could say that about any game....
Metacritic is the only factual thing we have even if you disagree with it.
But if you criticise halo then you have to do it with other games which scored less or similar to it.
My stance on Metacritic is same. Experience is what matters. Reviewers dont have the same view as me. That game is prime example of that. The ps4/x1 isnt the same as xsx/pc. Even the ps5 has at 73.

kingfey

Banned
Aw shit man, I’ve finally made it. I’ve gone full heel and am now considered a Sony fanboy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Do I get a badge for being GAF’s first Xbox AND Sony fanboy?
Have you considered applying for exiles? I have been accused the same. We dont have place on both sides.

oldergamer

I doubt we will get news on this e3. It would be 2023 e3. Maybe CGI trailer for this E3, but I wouldnt hold my breath on that one.

The studio is new. It doesnt have the tools yet.
again I see you making these assumptions that are almost always negative while having next to no information. They won't be making a CGI trailer this E3, if anything is shown this year.

oldergamer

dude have you ever worked a job in your life? When you're a director you're essentially lead on the project meaning it is your baby.

You don't just leave a company or a project you run for a bit more money, wake up.

unbelievable.
That's a totally crazy assumption. people leave jobs for all sorts of reasons.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My stance on Metacritic is same. Experience is what matters. Reviewers dont have the same view as me. That game is prime example of that. The ps4/x1 isnt the same as xsx/pc. Even the ps5 has at 73.
Yeah weather its metacritic or opencritic, point is its the main way to gage a games quality beyond subjective opinion.

Theres got to be some way to judge these things besides subjective opinion otherwise it would be very difficult to have a discussion about the quality of a platforms exclusives.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Since the beginning they've said they want to be a really lean team that wants to make AAA following other process than the usual one.

Seeing that they are a ~50 people studio with roles focusing on production, can't it be that they are just a studio that focuses on production and then passes the baton to an external team, CD in this case, to do the heavy work?

Reading the first page of the thread, It's obvious these are great news for Sony fanboys, but I wouldn't celebrate until the game is out
Even on the outside looking in, there seems to be a difference in the messaging. AAAA studio and small/lean team are opposite things

You need a big studio if you want to make bigger games than AAA

kingfey

Banned
Yeah weather its metacritic or opencritic, point is its the main way to gage a games quality beyond subjective opinion.

Theres got to be some way to judge these things besides subjective opinion otherwise it would be very difficult to have a discussion about the quality of a platforms exclusives.
Hope they do overhaul for the way they review. Like make a list on each category, then grade it based on those criteria.

kingfey

Banned
Even on the outside looking in, there seems to be a difference in the messaging. AAAA studio and small/lean team are opposite things

You need a big studio if you want to make bigger games than AAA
What is even AAAA game? There are no games that are bigger than gtav and Red dead 2, or as dense as flight Sim. And these are AAA games.
AAAA game would need to be bigger than these games.

Belthazar

What.. so all new devs who have not released a game yet are automatically trash tier?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Well, it's been 4 years and they've showed almost nothing at this point. No release date, no gameplay... Nothing.

nush

Game director leaving now he'd be walking away from a big bonus once the game shipped, if he thought the game was good. But maybe as it's been 4 years maybe he's not good?

Chukhopops

Amy making Uncharted 2? Wut. From what I have understood was more a writer not the lead of the gameplay design.
Check Wikipedia that’s where I found the info. If it’s incorrect I’ll admit it but I believe she was a key person in the first trilogy since she even gets a special thank you screen at the beginning of the credits of UC4.

kingfey

Banned
Good choice of music but on the other hand:

XN2gfsH.jpg

Wait and see. Nobody knows anything about the game at this point.
Projects always have a road map. If the initiative have an idea of what they are doing, then there is no problem.
Plus the big red flag is the game is from Rare. They are the ones who have any clue about this character. That guy was just expanding the new adventure of that character.

yurinka

The problematic development of the last Halo and now Perfect Dark
Who said they have a problematic development?

They founded the studio in 2018, consider a year or so to build a decent team and make pitches and prototypes to decide their first project. Then add a year or two of preproduction and hirings before starting full production, which may have started around a year ago or so ago. And would take at least around 4 years of full production, which would mean a release around minimum around 2024 or 2025.

The director -or anyone else- could leave for many reasons totally unrelated to the state of the project, like personal/familiar reasons. Everyone can be replaced. Thousands of people work on a AAA game, so nothing happens if a single specific person gets replaced.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Not sure I’ve got any confidence in your track record of predictions. First predicted that Halo would slip to 2022, then this gem 😂

TO4eXAK.jpg

While Halo Infinite MP isn't even doing that great in the end, and COD is still much more popular...

So what's your point? It had it's moment for a while but dropped very hard in player count. Even a broken game as BF2042 has more content and is more fun (higher player count or not).

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
While Halo Infinite MP isn't even doing that great in the end, and COD is still much more popular...

So what's your point? It had it's moment for a while but dropped very hard in player count.
That your point was moot?
Halo infinite beat those 2 games. Despite losing players.

This game is from Rare IPs. As long as Rare exist, the initiative have time to work on the game. I wouldn't worry about anything at all.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That your point was moot?
Halo infinite beat those 2 games. Despite losing players.

This game is from Rare IPs. As long as Rare exist, the initiative have time to work on the game. I wouldn't worry about anything at all.

11K people 38min ago on steam (still more popular then the Gamepass app for this f2p game) is not much for a big name franchise and also F2p compared to BF2042 and CoD full priced games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Aw shit man, I’ve finally made it. I’ve gone full heel and am now considered a Sony fanboy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Do I get a badge for being GAF’s first Xbox AND Sony fanboy?

im in there too, and twice….
…..this green rat feels honoured!

back on topic, has this game been in active development for 4 years? If that’s true and we don’t see a chunk of it at some point this year I’d say it’s in a bit of trouble.

Last edited:

mejin

People remember when MS introduced The Initiative as a blockbuster studio with an AAAA game. There were vídeos of them like they were amazing.

You want to see it as console war, it's better to have an imaginary enemy when shit goes down.

But anyone knows Xbox Games Studios have a mediocre management, so being skeptical is just normal.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What is even AAAA game? There are no games that are bigger than gtav and Red dead 2, or as dense as flight Sim. And these are AAA games.
AAAA game would need to be bigger than these games.
I didn't coin the term, Xbox used it to describe and hype their new blockbuster, extraordinary studio suggesting that The Initiative's games will be beyond what we've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom