• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not how it works. (1.6 × 6) ÷ (1.75 × 6) = 1.09375. As the number of cores is the same the clockspeed difference is all that matters.

LOL. You are right. Of course the number of cores cancels out. Doh!

Thanks for explaining it to me. I managed to really confuse myself thinking about it.

Ateron

I guess the Xbox One faster CPU at 1.75GHz vs 1.6GHz on the ps4, makes a difference. Since the game is CPU bound.

I think there was a poster here, who's a developer and confirmed several times that they are squeezing more out of the ps4 processor than the x1's. That might have changed meanwhile, with all the new updates and stuff so don't crucify me if I'm incorrect.

I think it was Matt, if I recall (sorry if I'm confusing posters).

Anyways, this is the final straw. Only Ubi could pull this off.
Bethesda will too

Tinfoil hat and all that, but wtf? How can you make less on more powerful hw? Parity my ass. Not saying that they purposefully sabotaged their own work on ps4, but more and more I think that they decided to devote a lot more time to get the x1 running the best they could and left the ps4 in the dust. If it was due to time limitations, or outside "incentives" we'll never know. One thing's for sure: it's not cause the ps4 is more complicated to program for. Unless all the other devs in the industry are lying through their teeth.

What happened? A lot of posters were providing comparisons, saying that although the game runs terribly on both, the ps4 had an edge, as logic would dictate. They would perform the exact same, at a bare minimum, giving the whole "parity" mentality going on at Ubi. But how on earth did they manage this?

And to think that a few weeks back I was debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on the 100$ collector edition, a first time AC CE for me. Now I don't even care about this game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Is it wrong that I am happy this game is a disaster? I just really want Ubisoft to eat some humble pie.

jayu26

This game deserves an applause Ubisoft, bravo...
tumblr_lrriwbQQ6S1qkjfz1o1_500.gif

Guys over on Videogamer.com said the PS4 version seemed to perform better overall on their Youtube video. Said both versions had drops, but the PS4 version was more consistent.

Now this is interesting...so overall PS4 has better performance as expected. By the way this is typical UBI game...show awesome videos of the game running on high end PCs and actual games look and perform shitty.

thelastword

Banned
The clock speed difference between Xbox One and PS4 is 9%. That would mean each core has theoretically 9% more ability to process loads. That must be accumulative.
WOW!, soon people will be saying that the slightly upclocked cpu is a bigger advantage than PS4's gpu advantage and memory bandwidth.

Umh what? If it's CPU bound having a better GPU is not going to improve framerate. Simply lowering res yielding better framerate is a sign of being video card bound.

Sorry I was reading GPU Bound, I am tired from work and shoveling snow. My bad.

-griffy-

Banned
What's meaningfully more impressive or "next gen," wading through a giant crowd of dead, copy-pasted NPC's who pop-in and glitch out and have a bare minimum of interaction with the player while performance drops to the teens, or fighting an active group of 20-30 unique enemies at the same time who all interact with and try to dynamically fight the player at an unwavering 30 fps while a system constantly running underneath everything all the time causes the unique NPC's to evolve and remember their encounters with you?

Is this a petty and unfair comparison? Maybe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_6ChIGB1yA

darthvargi

Man as someone who is getting three games today (Unity - PS4, MCC, and Shape Up) I was really looking forward to this. I had the choice between PS4 and XBOne and it's always best to play the multiplats on PS4 (I have Dragon Age preordered on PS4 next week, at least I know the Frostbite 3 engine works well on PS4) and it looks like I guess I made the wrong choice (best choice is to not pick it up lol). I know I'll still enjoy the game, I mean the gameplay is going to be a typical AC game, but the performance on both consoles is pathetic.

I see a lot of posts stating that the XBone cpu is faster (it is) but both cpu's are terrible, let's be honest. So why would you make a game that targets the weakest link on both consoles? I'd be happier if they just release a patch so I can turn down some graphic effects (say crowd population, various lighting) rather than sacrifice the framerate so heavily.

Oh well Ubisoft got my money (twice as Shape Up is a Ubisoft game too and I see that has a freaking season pass for a Kinect fitness game...) so I doubt they care.

tbm24

Is it wrong that I am happy this game is a disaster? I just really want Ubisoft to eat some humble pie.
It is wrong. The game may be lacking in performance but it would be a much better game with a solid frame rate. Game deserved better, there's nothing to be happy about this situation. Tho I still maintain, if you can rent it and AC interested you at all, give it a shot.

I think there was a poster here, who's a developer and confirmed several times that they are squeezing more out of the ps4 processor than the x1's. That might have changed meanwhile, with all the new updates and stuff so don't crucify me if I'm incorrect.

I think it was Matt, if I recall (sorry if I'm confusing posters).

Anyways, this is the final straw. Only Ubi could pull this off.
Bethesda will too

Tinfoil hat and all that, but wtf? How can you make less on more powerful hw? Parity my ass. Not saying that they purposefully sabotaged their own work on ps4, but more and more I think that they decided to devote a lot more time to get the x1 running the best they could and left the ps4 in the dust. If it was due to time limitations, or outside "incentives" we'll never know. One thing's for sure: it's not cause the ps4 is more complicated to program for. Unless all the other devs in the industry are lying through their teeth.

What happened? A lot of posters were providing comparisons, saying that although the game runs terribly on both, the ps4 had an edge, as logic would dictate. They would perform the exact same, at a bare minimum, giving the whole "parity" mentality going on at Ubi. But how on earth did they manage this?

And to think that a few weeks back I was debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on the 100$ collector edition, a first time AC CE for me. Now I don't even care about this game.

This is correct. It was indeed Matt who said that, but it was before MS relinquished the 10% CPU reservation for Kinect in game.

Devs may very well have been getting more out of the PS4's CPU than the X1's prior to that point.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Holy shit...I don't even have words for this. I expected it to be bad, but... unbelievable..

In other news, AngryJoe's review of this game is going to be GLORIOUS.

So it runs like shit on both platforms. This is the kind of thing people should be getting annoyed about instead of parity on games that otherwise run acceptably.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

cyen

After Watch Dogs mad stuttering on pc for months (at least on AMD), AC:Unity strikes again, but this time sub 1080p sub 30fps on consoles, not to mention all the bugs already mentioned.

But hey here you have a 99$ "micro"transaction.

Day one for me.

Mononoke

Banned
Why should I care about The framerate in cutscenes? Movies Are in 24 fps and nobody cares.

FPS in gameplay is way more important than in cutscenes.

I have the X1 version, and cut scenes look jarring. You can tell fps dips during these, and it detracts from the cut scene. So, while I agree gameplay segments matter more than cut scenes, you can definitely tell a difference here. It's not good.

Yasir

PS4 sabotaged hahahaha lmao. Embarrassing indeed. Fuck ubi soft. And these exclusive marketing deals should not be affecting performances of competing consoles.

Bl@de

I'm just coming home and browsing through the review/performance thread and don't know what to say ... 20fps? 76 metacritic? Terrible ... Just terrible. AC1 on PS3 all over again. Skipping this for now and maybe pick it up in a year for 10€. Dragon Age seems to be the better open world choice this year. Was really looking forward to it as a AC Fan ... But I don't have the nerve to beta test this

darthvargi

Mordor is phenomenal. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Agreed, I traded it in for the money to preorder this. Ugh I'd rather just replay that (o: I don't know how the XBone version performed, but the PS4 version looked and played great. It lacked a bit of content I suppose but I'd rather have a better game with less content than a game that performs like crap and has a ton of "filler" content to pad out the playtime.

I'm so glad I canceled my pre-order for The Division. Not touching a Ubisoft game ever again until all of their upper management decision makers get replaced. Bunch of crooked, bone-headed idiots.

Top Bottom