• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

Real talk though, if we had really payed attention to P4 before it's launch (which some of you might have) we probably would have lost our collective minds over the jump from JP Chie to English Chie.

I mean, the two aren't even close, and I'd go as far as saying that the english voice isn't really that great of a performance, it's just weirdly endearing and kind of down to earth. A lot of us loved it, though, likely because we weren't stumbling over ourselves to compare.

I will say though, some of these lines sound clunky, and I don't mean the acting.

Going from Yui Horie to OG Chie is quite a drop, yeah haha.

I probably would have been in the same boat had I played OG P4 first, but Golden was my first entry into the series.

Sophia

Real talk though, if we had really payed attention to P4 before it's launch (which some of you might have) we probably would have lost our collective minds over the jump from JP Chie to English Chie.

I mean, the two aren't even close, and I'd go as far as saying that the english voice isn't really that great of a performance, it's just weirdly endearing and kind of down to earth. A lot of us loved it, though, likely because we weren't stumbling over ourselves to compare.

I will say though, some of these lines sound clunky, and I don't mean the acting.

The first line is kind of wonky. But the rest of the lines seems fine to me. As far as Ann goes, anyway.

Zolo

My own opinion: I didn't really care for the regular speaking voice, but I thought her voicing during the battle lines were really good.

It's interesting, because this will be the first Persona game since OG P3 without Nich Maragos doing (at least some of) the script work. I'm very confident about the casting and the voice direction, but I'm curious about the actual script itself. We won't really know the quality of that though until the actual release. Can't wait.

Makio

There something about Atlus US trailers when some lines sound off but in game sounds fine happens a lot in Dancing All Night (Rise & Kanamin) .... pretty sure that first line of Ann is gonna sound bettter in context.

Beside that all the trailer sold me , the battle lines ,the scream when she summons carmen , the all out attack line my favorite for sure.

Really solid performance by Erika , steal my heart already.

PD : If Xanthe (Haru) and Cherami (Makoto) are gonna sound this good too (which i got faith in them) are gonna had a hard time choosing a "waifu" over the dub.

Lunar15

It's interesting, because this will be the first Persona game since OG P3 without Nich Maragos doing (at least some of) the script work. I'm very confident about the casting and the voice direction, but I'm curious about the actual script itself. We won't really know the quality of that though until the actual release. Can't wait.

I mean, I'd like to imagine Nich wasn't the only one working on the script back in the day. But yes, his departure gave me an extremely small amount of worry when it happened.

I mean, I'd like to imagine Nich wasn't the only one working on the script back in the day. But yes, his departure gave me an extremely small amount of worry when it happened.

According to the credits he was the lead editor of Persona 4, with three others serving as regular editors. I don't expect his departure to matter all that much to the final product, as Atlus is savvy enough to hire good people, but changing lead editors will probably have some effect on the script.

Another concern I have is the subject matter. It is so, so easy to make teen rebellion very cringy, so it will be interesting to see how Atlus USA does it. They've impressed me with their solutions to localization problems before, so I'm hoping P5 is no different.

Dantis

I really like Ann's voice. Really, really grounded.

The script seems a bit wooden. Doesn't sound overly natural, but it'll probably be fine.

Ryuji sounds fine too.

Morgana still sounds garbage.

EDIT: Just watched it again. So down with Ann's voice. It's great.

fight me dantis

Move over Jintor, he's got to fight me first

I hijacked your rival

...What did I do this time?

Dantis

According to Erika Harlacher (twitter) , thats how they call her / say it .... so get used to it people Ahn , Ahn Ahn Ahn Ahn .... yeah it works
I bet whoever asked her this on Twitter is a super cool guy who is really good at drawing.

Lunar15

According to Erika Harlacher (twitter) , thats how they call her / say it .... so get used to it people Ahn , Ahn Ahn Ahn Ahn .... yeah it works

Hey, I'm cool with it as long as it's consistent. My only worry was that it was going to be different for everyone.

Makio

I bet whoever asked her this on Twitter is a super cool guy who is really good at drawing.

I dunno feels like that dude had some kind of obssesion / fetish with Naoto Shirogane which everyone knows is
worst girl
of Persona 4
People like that is the one i try to avoid

More concerned about how they pronounce "Takamaki" in-game personally because if it's like her English VA in the interview, eeeesh.

and from last week's, "Arsène."

Not that I expect that to be mispronounced in the actual game, would be an odd thing to not check up before recording.

1 v 1 in Club Penguin m8
oh shit, I thought we were all about ignored challenges in here
post-60462-President-Dave-Chappelle-knock-nBve.gif

and from last week's, "Arsène."

Not that I expect that to be mispronounced in the actual game, would be an odd thing to not check up before recording.

Calling it now: Arsène and Takamaki are going to be pronounced the same way in the game as they are in the interviews. I don't see why that would change, especially since they had already worked out the pronunciation for Ann at the time of recording.

On another note, Morgana calls her "Lady Ann" rather than the Japanese equivalent. ("Ann-dono," I think it was?) Is this the end of honourifics in Persona dubs!? Find out next time on "Pointless Speculation with Little-to-no Evidence!"

Sophia

Calling it now: Arsène and Takamaki are going to be pronounced the same way in the game as they are in the interviews. I don't see why that would change, especially since they had already worked out the pronunciation for Ann at the time of recording.

On another note, Morgana calls her "Lady Ann" rather than the Japanese equivalent. ("Ann-dono," I think it was?) Is this the end of honourifics in Persona dubs!? Find out next time on "Pointless Speculation with Little-to-no Evidence!"

They have never used "dono" as a honorific in the English versions as far as I know, and no professional translator would when it can be perfectly translated. =P

eh, he even says during the interview that he's not confident as to that being the correct pronunciation.

Calling it: honourifics have been replaced with titles all around, that's not just a quirk of Morgana.

They have never used "dono" as a honorific in the English versions as far as I know, and no professional translator would when it can be perfectly translated. =P

Has any Persona character called another "-dono," even in Japanese before? My understanding is that's a pretty outdated way to refer to someone, and I can't think of another character who talks like that off the top of my head. I see your point though.

eh, he even says during the interview that he's not confident as to that being the correct pronunciation.

Huh, I had forgotten he said that. I still think that Takamaki will be pronounced like it is in the interview, but I've been wrong (multiple times) before.

Blackquill uses it in Ace Attormey 5 and 6, but he's presented as a huge weaboo so it works there.

Yes, well Ace "Eat Your Hamburgers, Apollo" Attorney is quite a different beast from Persona.

Then again, SMT4A doesn't feature honorifics, but that's set in a post-apocalypse where the people of Tokyo can somehow understand the English-speaking (at least according to their signs) people of Mikado.

Setsu00

Just to quickly remind those who are interested in participating: The deadline to submit art for the Persona Pixiv contest is October 31.

I thumbnailed so many potential pictures for this and I'm still not beyond the concept phase. This won't end well.

Mediking

Just to quickly remind those who are interested in participating: The deadline to submit art for the Persona Pixiv contest is October 31.

I thumbnailed so many potential pictures for this and I'm still not beyond the concept phase. This won't end well.

Good luck, Setsu00! I really like so your art style so don't give up!

I'm trash at drawing. Lol.

Mediking

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/y8pm6R.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/ElKPKl.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/Nx7878.gif[/IMG]

LET'S GO. MY WALLET IS READY.

I do think its funny that Joker still does his waving hand animation as if he still has a cape on even though in some of his DLC outfits... he isn't wearing a cape. I'm talking about his right hand animation. Not his left hand where he's asking his friends to follow him

jzbluz

I have no strong opinion about the cast, but I'm really curious how Goro turns out since people kept praising his voice acting in the original language. I can't stop imagining Sorey now when I hear Robbie Diamond so I'm a bit weirded out, and I didn't even play that game.

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/y8pm6R.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/ElKPKl.gif[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/Nx7878.gif[/IMG]

LET'S GO. MY WALLET IS READY.

I do think its funny that Joker still does his waving hand animation as if he still has a cape on even though in some of his DLC outfits... he isn't wearing a cape. I'm talking about his right hand animation. Not his left hand where he's asking his friends to follow him

I've also seen him adjusting his gloves when he doesn't have any.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I have no strong opinion about the cast, but I'm really curious how Goro turns out since people kept praising his voice acting in the original language.

Everyone is pretty stellar in JP but to be honest I haven't actually seen people particularly mentioning Goro.
I think I've seen more Morgana and Futaba being stated as noteworthy standouts among already stellar performances.

DNAbro

Everyone is pretty stellar in JP but to be honest I haven't actually seen people particularly mentioning Goro.
I think I've seen more Morgana and Futaba being stated as noteworthy standouts among already stellar performances.

Those 3 I would put at the top of my favorite performances from the game.

jzbluz

It's more like in some certain scenes.

GSR

Just finished P5. I enjoyed it a lot. For reference my previous experience with the series was the P2 duology and most of P3P (I lost steam around December.)

If anyone has any particular non-spoiler questions they want answered ask away. (I know the game's been out for a month+ lol)

FSLink

Banned

I played JPN P4 before the US release and yeah Chie and Naoto's ENG voices really threw me off. Still not a particular huge fan of either voice performances, though I actually did like Chie's ENG Golden performance a bit better than the original.

I will say I actually preferred most of the male cast better in English...and Rise lol

Mediking

Don't you guys just "love" how whenever someone talks about whether or not Final Fantasy XV will succeed on GAF... somebody almost always brings in Persona 5 in the discussion?

Like stop.

They either say Persona 5 will destory FFXV in reviews or they say Persona 5 doesnt look much different or "risky" enough for the series so it will get mediocore reviews.

Its. So. Annoying. Just let both JRPGS do well!!!

Top Bottom