• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Lynx_7

Don't you guys just "love" how whenever someone talks about whether or not Final Fantasy XV will succeed on GAF... somebody almost always brings in Persona 5 in the discussion?

Like stop.

They either say Persona 5 will destory FFXV in reviews or they say Persona 5 doesnt look much different or "risky" enough for the series so it will get mediocore reviews.

Its. So. Annoying. Just let both JRPGS do well!!!

Just let it go man, the comparisons are inevitable at this point. Before Xenoblade Chronicles X released its fans were also constantly taking jabs at FF XV, it happens when you're the most prominent franchise of your genre. Take it in a lighthearted way (not everyone is taking that shit seriously) or abstain from it. It's only gonna stop when Valentine's Day rolls around so there's no point stressing about it. I'm buying both close to launch so I really don't care which is going to be more amazing as long as both are great (no, just "good" won't cut it :p). Two critically acclaimed JRPGs launching close to one another can only be good for the health of the genre after the drought that was the PS3/360 era.

Sophia

Take it for what it is. The mere fact that these other RPGs are being compared to a guaranteed million seller is a good sign for both games, regardless of the arguments put forward. :p

Don't you guys just "love" how whenever someone talks about whether or not Final Fantasy XV will succeed on GAF... somebody almost always brings in Persona 5 in the discussion?

Like stop.

They either say Persona 5 will destory FFXV in reviews or they say Persona 5 doesnt look much different or "risky" enough for the series so it will get mediocore reviews.

Its. So. Annoying. Just let both JRPGS do well!!!

The thing is, pitting these two against each other has a reason that I can sympathize with. (in that I do it too)

If you find some way to see one game as having more value than the other, that makes the fact that you can only afford one of them (in terms of both time and money) easier on you.

daevious

Just finished P5. I enjoyed it a lot. For reference my previous experience with the series was the P2 duology and most of P3P (I lost steam around December.)

If anyone has any particular non-spoiler questions they want answered ask away. (I know the game's been out for a month+ lol)

What's the basic plot outline for the party member social links?

Are the randomly generated dungeons in Mementos better or worse that P3/P4's approach?

Which character do you think will be hardest to portray in the dub?

Given how late Haru show up, does she get enough screen time to really distinguish herself from the rest of the cast?

How obnoxious are the stat requirements for social links and how difficult it it to gain social stats?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
14591855_1306763272708364_2038793583655910952_n.jpg
God...

Just finished P5. I enjoyed it a lot. For reference my previous experience with the series was the P2 duology and most of P3P (I lost steam around December.)

If anyone has any particular non-spoiler questions they want answered ask away. (I know the game's been out for a month+ lol)

What difficulty did you play on, and what did you think of the overall balance?

GSR

What's the basic plot outline for the party member social links?

Are the randomly generated dungeons in Mementos better or worse that P3/P4's approach?

Which character do you think will be hardest to portray in the dub?

Given how late Haru show up, does she get enough screen time to really distinguish herself from the rest of the cast?

How obnoxious are the stat requirements for social links and how difficult it it to gain social stats?

They vary significantly, but most have at least one personal stat check. (Haru's is particularly brutal, since you can't even get to rank 2 - and unlock the extremely valuable Baton Touch skill - without maxed technique stat.) I can give examples of plots but I don't know how much detail you would want.

I didn't feel there was that much difference between Mementos and Tartarus? Mementos doesn't have any set midbosses/bosses unless you accept sidequests, so it's pretty easy to blast through a block if you're so inclined. Never played P4 so I can't compare to that.

Hardest dub is probably Futaba, Morgana, or Goro.

It was close but I think the answer is yes. Despite joining relatively late in the game there's still a lot of plot and dungeon left before the end, so she gets a good amount of screentime. They also wisely made her co-op (SL) available almost every day so you could catch up quickly.

I didn't have a terrible time gaining stats or doing co-ops (I forgot to mention I maxed all the co-ops without a guide), but you do need to eventually max all your personal stats to finish all the co-ops. Several co-ops give you a bonus to a stat for most of their rank up events, and a few co-ops have skills that help you manage time more efficiently (e.g. "pay to increase affection with someone once per day", "have this person do a time-consuming activity instead of doing it yourself".) That said if you're shooting for max stats/co-ops you will need to be proactive about gaining stats. IIRC courage was the last one I maxed.

What difficulty did you play on, and what did you think of the overall balance?

I played on Normal for most of the game, but I switched to Hard about halfway through the second-last dungeon. After a bit of a dodgy start things leveled out and got pretty relaxed for most of the game, which is why I bumped it up to hard. Disclaimer: I did use the EXP-boosting charms from the P3 DLC every now and then, but I was apparently 10 levels lower than the average when I fought the final boss (who felt very manageable), so I don't think that threw me off that much balance-wise.

Dantis

Not really a megaton, we've been meaning to collaborate on a picture for like two years, but I can never get anything finished.

Edit: People like my Halloween picture more than I had expected. You really never can tell how it's gping to go.

Makio

Hardest dub is probably Futaba, Morgana, or Goro.

No kidding the most i get "spoil" of Futaba the most curious i am of Lindbeck take in Futaba ... no like im expecting she be bad , but that feel she gonna be of those few characters i prefer in japanese (from what i listen of both VA)

Confident in Daymond as Goro, for the couple of scenes he has in the game , he going to nail it for sure

And this point it seems Morgana english VA is gonna use her regular voice (like Kyubey in Madoka)... so i dont bother anymore (japanese Morgana hands down)

jzbluz

I find Hifumi to be cuter than most of the party girls, so I wouldn't have minded. But I wonder if that meant they had more male party members planned, or if they thought that the female/male ratio was good enough including Goro. Also, she kinda looks like Maki in that concept art.

Setsu00

I wonder if there's some concept art for Soejima's Mephisto. Some of Arsène's dialogue that was shown in the second trailer was super reminscent of a Faustian contract, so it's not like this came out of nowhere.

Also I think it's great that Hashino always wants to know Soejima's opinion before he goes on with a project.

PK Gaming

Well that explains why her design is so good

It was good of them to cut back, honestly

The main cast is pretty big as is, juggling even more characters would have been a bit much

Mediking

• I would like to see a female lead for a Persona game again but make her the lead for the mainline and then doing a male spinoff lead would be interesting
  • I would like to see racism addressed in some sort of social link
  • I would like to see masculinity addressed in a social link again but not in the way like Kanji's

Setsu00

• I would like to see a female lead for a Persona game again but make her the lead for the mainline and then doing a male spinoff lead would be interesting
  • I would like to see racism addressed in some sort of social link
  • I would like to see masculinity addressed in a social link again but not in the way like Kanji's

What were your problems with Kanji's story? There are many potential issues, so I'm just curious.

Lynx_7

When you're talking about racism do you mean against black people or just racism in general? Because in a way, at least from the little I've read about you guys discussing it here, that's kiiiind of touched upon with Anne because of her american heritage.

I'm not an expert but Japan seems to have a more widespread problem with xenophobia than racism, which is probably why you don't see many japanese media dealing with the latter. I might be talking out of my ass though so don't quote me on that.

When you're talking about racism do you mean against black people or just racism in general? Because in a way, at least from the little I've read about you guys discussing it here, that's kiiiind of touched upon with Anne because of her american heritage.

I'm not an expert but Japan seems to have a more widespread problem with xenophobia than racism, which is probably why you don't see many japanese media dealing with the latter. I might be talking out of my ass though so don't quote me on that.

Xenophobia would be an interesting theme to tackle. That's why the idea of a game where the protag is an exchange student to Korea came to me.

It's a foreign land where people largely have beef against you for something your ancestors/government did, but not too foreign.

jzbluz

Xenophobia would be an interesting theme to tackle. That's why the idea of a game where the protag is an exchange student to Korea came to me.

It's a foreign land where people largely have beef against you for something your ancestors/government did, but not too foreign.

Wouldn't it be the same if the MC was the foreign exchange student in Japan? I'm not as fond of the idea of Persona taking placing outside of Japan as you guys seem to be. Although I guess it worked for Catherine.

Wouldn't it be the same if the MC was the foreign exchange student in Japan? I'm not as fond of the idea of Persona taking placing outside of Japan as you guys seem to be. Although I guess it worked for Catherine.

Sure. That'd work.
Hell, if you really want to keep it in the country, have the MC be from Okinawa.

edit:
Here's an idea: Exchange student from Korea or China, but with Japanese parents. How much uninformed racism could they fling at us?

Makio

I would like to see a female lead for a Persona game again

Persona 6 is going to have a Female MC , the final battle is going to be so big is going to reset the universe .... then in Persona 7 is going to be Persona 1 MC again but an alternate / new universe version

Lynx_7

A game where one of the MCs is a "haffu" from South Korea or China would work really well I think, since it lends itself nicely for social commentary and a possible cool dungeon to go along with it. Could be the protagonist himself or one of your party members.

I don't know if the opposite (japanese student to Korea) would work as well though because it runs the risk of being interpreted as "glorious nihonjin Jesus figure is unjustly mistreated by unhonorable foreigners while showing them the true way for greatness(friendship)". Kinda like the whole "white man learns the native's ways, bangs the chief's daughter and becomes their greatest leader" deal. :p

Persona 8's going to be like Persona 4, except Persona's are replaced with beetles.
Persona 9 replaces insects with Personas. Pixies flying in an out of hives, Slimes in your kitchen, Ari Mitama buzzes around in your room at summer nights, etc.

Scorpions are Mara

Lynx_7

So is P9 gonna be like P5, but with mafiosos instead of thieves?
I need to upgrade my Jojo game, too many damn references on gaf and I stopped all the way back at Phantom Blood

Top Bottom