• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie defends Polish politician who believes women are less intelligent than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I'd rather not say that Pewdiepie or the like are pandering to anyone, because that suggests either that they don't believe they say or that they simply don't care.

I don't think we really need to come up with some ulterior motive or conspiracy theory to explain why people are assholes. Sometimes they're just just being themselves.

Majukun

I don't understand why he even attempts to talk about political topics. He's neither qualified for it nor does his audience care about these things

for the same reason everyone else does it on the internet, everyone wants to give their own 2 cents even when if they know little about the subject matter

Until we stop making overblown caricatures out of the people we do not agree with, we will be unable to attempt to reason with them.

This goes for YouTube personalities, Trump supporters, friends and family.
Oh give me a fucking break.

In this his agreement with the statement that women are less intelligent than men is bad enough.

To actually have the gall to imply that people who want to legalize (and fund) conversion camps for gays and refuse to combat climate change are worth coming to and reasoning with is utter bullshit.

And many YouTube personalities took part in harassment campaigns, how do you propose to reason with that? More cowardly "moderate" bollocks.

I've seen you post similar stuff in multiple threads about "people we disagree with" without showing an attempt to say how that should be done besides attempting to normalize factually wrong, hateful views.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This....

Raise your children properly folks. Keep an eye on what they are consuming. Don't let them fall prey to garbage like this guy.

I make sure PDP have never been watched under my roof. My 5 year old nephew is guarded to make sure he never finds him.

Of course they're racist. The status quo needs protecting or else all their privilege goes away. They're hyper aware of this. That's why these guys react the way they do.

You telling me if you got a pot of gold sitting behind you you're gonna let people just walk up and stick their hands in?
I know. It was a reference to "Fox News: Not racist but number one with racists." Never seen it?

Who or what the fuck is a "PewDiePie" ?
A YouTuber who got famous making funny faces and screaming slurs and rape jokes in an annoying voice while he was playing games. Sadly for the rest of the world he inspired a shitton of talentless hacks with equally repugnant views.

Zasa

Truly scary how much influence this fuck has over all those impressionable minds that follow him. Good lord.

But hey, maybe he's just "trying on a different hat"

As a side note, today's Internet is so thirsty for drama it is ridiculous. Must be really awarding to always find small things to blow up all the time I guess. Glad I mostly stay away from it.

I wonder if it's anything like the feeling you got when you came in here to crow about how above it all you are.

A YouTuber who got famous making funny faces and screaming slurs and rape jokes in an annoying voice while he was playing games. Sadly for the rest of the world he inspired a shitton of talentless hacks with equally repugnant views.
I'm kinda glad to be out of touch when it comes to YouTube bloggers.

I expected this video to be some kind of insane defense. After watching it, I am not sure what even was the point of it. Sure PDP should stop wasting his time on these type of videos. But imo again this is blown out of proportions.

I agree that large youtubers should start to take more responsibility in regards of their massive audience. This can easily misguide people. Especially young ones. If you don't understand the subject, don't talk about it, or try to "educate" others on it. Opinions are fine, but have some damn insight.

As a side note, today's Internet is so thirsty for drama it is ridiculous. Must be really awarding to always find small things to blow up all the time I guess. Glad I mostly stay away from it.
This guy has one of the biggest audiences of any celebrity in the world. Of course things blow up when he makes videos like this. And it should, given his reach and audience.

We have past the point where the internet was this funny thing we can ignore. What people do there and put online there has actual real world consequences, so when large internet celebrities do something it will and needs to be talked about.

I'm inclined to believe it's another out of context attack piece like last time with the Nazi article. But, I'll have to see if that's the case. Afaik, he's not this fucking stupid. Surely, this is a clipped quote taken out of context.

But wtf do I know I gave Jon Tron the benefit of doubt when his story first broke too.

jtb

Banned
Too bad you posted this in OT. Would have been very interested to see how various anime nazis contorted themselves to defend this.

IaN_GAF

Oh give me a fucking break.

In this his agreement with the statement that women are less intelligent than men is bad enough.

To actually have the gall to imply that people who want to legalize (and fund) conversion camps for gays and refuse to combat climate change are worth coming to and reasoning with is utter bullshit.

And many YouTube personalities took part in harassment campaigns, how do you propose to reason with that? More cowardly "moderate" bollocks.

I've seen you post similar stuff in multiple threads about "people we disagree with" without showing an attempt to say how that should be done besides attempting to normalize factually wrong, hateful views.

I see. Well, please do accept my apologies, I shall stop trying to contribute.

Rktk

NeoGAF is a gaming forum. PewDiePie is one of the most popular celebrities in the gaming world today.

His videos shifted from gaming some time ago. I can't say much about the gaming side as I don't go there much, but PewDiePie makes a video every day, the only time I see his videos picked up here are for articles like the one in the OP.

Why do these dumb muthafuckin Youtubers not realize they're fucking celebrities and will therefore be scrutinized by their words? Pewdiepie keeps complaining about the media but he continues to give them ammo. Unless Pewdiepie wants to be some sort of political pundit why does he continue to open his fucking mouth about anything other than games?

They do.

That's why they feel comfortable doing it

Felix knowns his army of sycophants will defend him and insulate him from consequences

So PDP claiming people haven't researched the context behind the wage gap... while demonstrating he hasn't researched the context around Korwin-Mikke.

Or just deliberately ignored it so he could try and excuse the shitty remarks.

Wonder why.

I mean, it's even worse. It's not even the context around this guy. It's more like he's criticizing the studies, I get it. But shouldn't he do the same for the polish guy ?
He's being like picking a side just for the sake of it.

The guy got famous on rape jokes, this surprises no one. I just wish he'd lose his soapbox so he can't indoctrinate millions of impressionable teenagers.

tim.mbp

I can't even imagine his thought process on making a video about Janusz Korwin-Mikke. 99.99% of his audience has no idea who is his. I assume he just wants to pile on 'mainstream media', but what a strange video.

Ponn

Banned
I'd rather not say that Pewdiepie or the like are pandering to anyone, because that suggests either that they don't believe they say or that they simply don't care.

I don't think we really need to come up with some ulterior motive or conspiracy theory to explain why people are assholes. Sometimes they're just just being themselves.

I don't see much a difference when it comes to these guys that keep getting caught up in this. It may start as sleight pandering but eventually they end up getting caught up in their own shit all the same. Time and again though I see people calling youtubers dumb or not bright and maybe they can get caught up sometimes but they aren't dumb to get where they did. Most of them are very good at manipulation of their audience and playing to their subscribers so they are well aware of the groups watching.

What kind of person thinks to themselves "Hey self, i'm going to take time out of my day to record a video defending a suspended politician for saying misogynistic things about women like they aren't as intelligent then men. Then I will post that video to my millions of young impressionable subscribers and viewers. Yay self!" Who does that out of the blue?

A person with millions of followers that has been doing this for years every day of their life is going to be well aware of what he is putting up for his viewers. Either he knows his base enough to know they will eat this shit up like the anti-semetic "jokes" or he knows hes damn good at this manipulation that hes actually swaying minds. Or both.

cDNA

Pewdiepie is history, all the cool kids moved to the Jake Paul/Logan Paul videos. Where is the LOGAF family!
jk

SugarDave

PewDiePie is a huge fucking pleb. Him and channels like h3h3 always pull the "just trying to understand this other point of view" angle, which I would normally understand, if it wasn't obvious that they're bullshitting and agreed with that opinion all along.

Anyone impressionable enough to adopt characteristics and/or the views of these YouTubers will eventually find out how it makes most people consider you an insufferable twat in real life.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Still pandering to his shitty Alt-RIght fanbase...hoping his channel crashes soon. People like this don't deserve attention IMO

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I watch this video yesterday and I sensed other than his normal sarcasm, no support for this polish guy. As a matter of fact he was mocking him the whole time and it was very funny.

I don't think this is worthy of typing something super long it was a video made to mock the person and it was funny because this person's stance is absolutely ridiculous and the two reporters doing the interview pretty much summed it up for most of us, the guy is an idiot.

tci

I wonder if it's anything like the feeling you got when you came in here to crow about how above it all you are.
I don't really care. I just wanted to see what the fuzz was about. I see the whole video as context, not the sensational title of this thread and article. If anything it is more about people trying to find anything to create drama about, rather than PDP doing anything really wrong in itself.

Though I still feel like he should start to take his audience more serious. But he is not the only one. YT at this point have lost its appeal in my eyes. Less about entertainment, and more about making money.

Chille

I don't watch his channel as much anymore, miss the old gaming videos but whatever never really take his views seriously oh well

what I don't get is how he has so many subs when all he does is scream at games? if anything it's annoying. pretty surreal he can make that much out of such corny nonsense.

He wasn't defending his views, he was defending his ability to voice an opinion on why there is a wage gap, not to agree with it. The fact that people freaked out about this video is ironic, because it's what the news people did to the man, listened to what they wanted to hear, and not considering what exactly what he saying. Merely offering an explanation, not saying they should be paid less.

L Thammy

If you're a female watching this, I want you to know that you are not what the media or politicians or people on Twitter try to tell you... or even what I am [trying to tell you]. You're not weak, you are not less privileged, you are strong. I think it's a real unhealthy way of looking at things. What happened to ‘I am a woman hear me roar?' It's become ‘I am a woman, I earn less than men'"

He wasn't defending his views, he was defending his ability to voice an opinion on why there is a wage gap, not to agree with it. The fact that people freaked out about this video is ironic, because it's what the news people did to the man, listened to what they wanted to hear, and not considering what exactly what he saying. Merely offering an explanation, not saying they should be paid less.

Oh really

" I think it’s a real unhealthy way of looking at things. What happened to ‘I am a woman hear me roar?’ It’s become ‘I am a woman, I earn less than men'"

" But second time I watched it, interpreting all his stumbling and mumbling, I understand what he’s trying to say. Like he said many times, he’s not saying women should earn less, he’s saying they are because of these reasons"

Reminder that one of those reasons is because women are less intelligent than men.

Speevy

Banned
Honest question: Wouldn't the world be a better place if we didn't allow our brains to be occupied by this nonsense?

I mean, I love that I'm getting old enough now that "internet drama", even among people with millions of dollars or fans, is just noise to me.

Do you see something else? I mean sure, people who say racist/sexist/homophobic things need to be put in their place. But beyond that, I'd rather discuss a person who brought something of actual worth to the world.

The man was saying the reason women earn less is because they are less intelligent than men.

L Thammy

Honest question: Wouldn't the world be a better place if we didn't allow our brains to be occupied by this nonsense?

I mean, I love that I'm getting old enough now that "internet drama", even among people with millions of dollars or fans, is just noise to me.

Do you see something else? I mean sure, people who say racist/sexist/homophobic things need to be put in their place. But beyond that, I'd rather discuss a person who brought something of actual worth to the world.

We are in a world where a celebrity who spouts racist and sexist things is president. Is that the situation where we should be addressing them less?

Ponn

Banned

These are the people shaping and influencing the minds of millions of young voters. If you ignore it, if you don't bring attention to it, if you don't discuss and show how they are wrong now you are going to have a whole brand new crop of Fox News-like zealots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom