• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Blade 0 | Summer Game Fest 2024 Trailer

Elios83

It looks cool and graphically impressive, the genre is becoming a bit too overcrowded so it seems like different teams are creating the same situations over and over.
It's also not clear how deep the combat system is and how much is QTE assisted. The demo should shed some light on this aspect.

RainyNguyen

Neo Member
It looks cool and graphically impressive, the genre is becoming a bit too overcrowded so it seems like different teams are creating the same situations over and over.
It's also not clear how deep the combat system is and how much is QTE assisted. The demo should shed some light on this aspect.
Guys, it's not QTE, there is only 1 QTE in trailer at 1:27

That Triangle Button Prompt is used for finishing moves when the enemy's health is low or their posture bar is depleted, just like in Sekiro, but in Sekiro, it's indicated by a red dot.

Musilla

Jp49LIp.gif

Jp49QhN.gif

Jp49ipR.gif

RavageX

Doesn't look bad but it feels like half of the devs in China are making the same game.
Can't keep track of all these samey looking soulslikes.
This was my thought. I feel like I've seen this type of game many times over. Almost the EXACT same thing.

The combat is very different from Sekiro and looks legitimately awesome. I wish boss fights were like this in Spiderman or in the new GOW games.
Yeah, it's like a mix of Sekiro's parrying and the combos and weapon variety of Nioh. Super excited based on that demo. Nice surprise

Also, the first trailers of this game did a massive disservice to what this game seemingly is. Way too much style over substance of the actual gameplay

Last edited:
That boss fight and contextual wall run looked sick!

Aaaand...there are combo commands (square,square, triangle etc) - more than enough to put people minds at rest regarding the "looks fake/on autopilot).

For better or for worse, this is a souls/Sekiro-like through and through and that's perfectly fine with me.

Everything looks just right, from the color gradation, to the art direction, to the animations and graphics (poly count etc).

I also suffer from Souls-itis but I welcome fresh spins to a true and tried formula, bring it on ✌️

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

It looks good, but with so many similar games fighting for a place recently, it will need to prove it has something really good to offer, like an actually balanced difficulty and a gameplay that doesn't tire too fast.

Last edited:
Aaaand...there are combo commands (square,square, triangle etc) - more than enough to put people mind's at rest regarding the "looks fake/on autopilot).

For better or for worse, this is a souls/Sekiro-like through and through and that's perfectly fine with me.

Everything looks just right, from the color gradation, to the art direction, to the animations and graphics (poly count etc).

I took suffer from Souls-itis but I welcome fresh spins to a true and tried formula, bring it on ✌️
Looks more like a old school hack and slash to me. They even say it in the ign live but there combining souls map design with old school hack and slash which is super cool.

mdkirby

Doesn't look bad but it feels like half of the devs in China are making the same game.
Can't keep track of all these samey looking soulslikes.
This. Felt the same at Sonys state of play. They all look like they look and play the same with similar stories and similar worlds. Like why isn’t a single one of these set in any other setting? 1950s 1980s, present day, near future, far future, space colony, alien world (with you as an alien), different dimension.

But nope, always just a fantasy twist on feudal Asia, or medieval Europe.

Last edited:
It looks good, but with so many similar games fighting for a place recently, it will need to prove it has something really good to offer, like an actually balanced difficulty and a gameplay that doesn't tire too fast.
This is certainly true the melee combat genre is definitely the most saturated genre at the moment. It's not just souls likes but traditional hack slash and even mainstream stuff like Ghost of Tsushima and Assassin's Creed. You have to be special to stand out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If it keeps the same momentum and the level design doesn’t drop significantly, it could definitely be good. They need that interconnected world that keeps drawing you back in.

AGAIN, it's Shuhei Yoshida (NOT Hermen) the one doing his part for Playstation. Besides, lot of mantras regarding game development are demolished in this tweet. You don't need 100M to produce a top-tier action game, nor 9 years of development.

Man, those bullet points...so good.gif.

- being inspired by MGS RISING REVENGEANCE : fuck yes

- Art dude from FROM Software working on this : Fuck yes and it shows, I said in other threads that this is on par with FROM titles art direction wise.

Man, this game is gonna be a huge surprise - especially after the 1st showing where most of us thought that it was fake/on autopilot/vaporware.

The only negative ? it seems way off from all the info, methinks it's a late 2025/early 2026 title, oh well...

proandrad

Haven’t publishers learn that gamers no longer care about the opinions of “game journalists.” Either put the demo out to the public to download or don’t bother at all.

March Climber

Gold Member
Maximillian played the demo, and also reported that the game's director explicitly pointed out that he is a fan of games like Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden, and DMC, but he wanted to put that style of gameplay in Soulslike level design. According to him, none of the other soulslike systems are in the game. This is an action game first and foremost.

YukiOnna

Maximillian played the demo, and also reported that the game's director explicitly pointed out that he is a fan of games like Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden, and DMC, but he wanted to put that style of gameplay in Soulslike level design. According to him, none of the other soulslike systems are in the game. This is an action game first and foremost.

Yeah, they explicitly state here it's not a soulslike and explain why for people:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with this "is this game real?" when referring to games not made by the few mainstream Asian devs these people know.

March Climber

Gold Member
I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with this "is this game real?" when referring to games not made by the few mainstream Asian devs these people know.
When looking at the other thread made recently that lists out the large amount of asian action games that have been announced or had a trailer years ago, and have disappeared since then, it is an understandable sentiment.

Lost Soul Aside should have had a playable demo before this game.

Top Bottom