• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Scorpio will have a console price point, not compete with high-end rigs

Sydle

I wonder if Microsoft is second guessing revealing this thing a year and a half before launch. Seems like people love to talk about it, Microsoft still talks about it, and we are still about a year away from launch.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has a product on the market they are trying to sell, but many quotes lately seem to be about Scorpio. I am not sure they are actually wanting to talk about it this much considering they haven't really revealed a thing since their official reveal. So much is still a mystery, so people keep asking about it, but right now, all we get is 4K, 6.5 TF, and Premium Product Pricing.

Its all been a weird reveal and PR since in my opinion. We keep getting Scorpio quotes from Spencer, all basically saying what we already know. I think that could be part of revealing a product so early.

They get more PR coverage for the Xbox platform and they've picked up in sales from XB1S. It's played out pretty well imo, better than most thought when people claimed an early announcement of Scorpio would kill XB1 sales.

I'm sure Spencer is happy to repeat himself to journalists knowing they're going to publish it and help build / maintain Scoprio awareness. I suspect they're going to continue drip feeding Scorpio developments up until E3 and probably continue playing on more aggressive XB1S bundles since it seems to be working out well.

I am curious what happens the closer we get to Scoprio's launch. I can't help but imagine XB1S sales will start to slow down, or maybe they'll somehow hit an even lower price point and keep selling into more price conscious consumers while enthusiasts start pre-ordering Scorpio. Next year will be fun to watch.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
how much was the 3DO at launch? i remember buying that thing from Gamestop for around $399 with like 7 games because no one was buying it lol

edit: fucking $699...LOL
Lol when I was a kid, my dad came home with one shortly after launch, and I remember my mom getting fucking pissed when he told her how much he had spent.

Now I feel like hooking it up and playing some AD&D: Slayer. Love that game.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
399 here we go

Lionheart

I still think it's possible they can hit $399. 6 TF looks like a big number, but it's the same relative difference in performance over PS4 Pro that the PS4 had over the X1 and it releases a full year later.

Sanke__

I'm guessing 500 if they plan on marketing it equally alongside XBone S but 400 if they plan on making it their primary console

I will probably pass if it is a weaker 400 model

But I also think 400 for the Pro was a mistake (should have been 500 with a better CPU and a focus on making it 350-400 by next Black Friday)

Quotient

I swear it feels like their is a thread once a week with a discussion about the price.

This place will blow up once Microsoft officially announces the price.

Ushay

I wonder if Microsoft is second guessing revealing this thing a year and a half before launch. Seems like people love to talk about it, Microsoft still talks about it, and we are still about a year away from launch.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has a product on the market they are trying to sell, but many quotes lately seem to be about Scorpio. I am not sure they are actually wanting to talk about it this much considering they haven't really revealed a thing since their official reveal. So much is still a mystery, so people keep asking about it, but right now, all we get is 4K, 6.5 TF, and Premium Product Pricing.

Its all been a weird reveal and PR since in my opinion. We keep getting Scorpio quotes from Spencer, all basically saying what we already know. I think that could be part of revealing a product so early.
The S model is selling very well, and there is more than a little chatter in the media (and forums) about Scorpio. I think while their transparency may have felt confused in the start it's having the right kind of effect.

They better nail the Scorpio reveal and any accompanying games if they want to do well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If Sony can put out a 4.3 TFlop console for $399 in Fall 2016 then MS can easily put out a 6 tflop console at $399 a year later. Parts become cheaper.

Now if they go ahead and include a new zen cpu then $450 or $500 is on the cards.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lol when I was a kid, my dad came home with one shortly after launch, and I remember my mom getting fucking pissed when he told her how much he had spent.

Now I feel like hooking it up and playing some AD&D: Slayer. Love that game.

I think I literally bought it to play the port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

That console does have a special place in my heart though. Some good ports (Wing Commander 3, Star Control 2). I know its not really the current Naughty Dog but I wonder how those guys feel when people bring up Way of the Warrior...how come no one ever asks them to reboot that? ;)

The S model is selling very well, and there is more than a little chatter in the media (and forums) about Scorpio. I think while their transparency may have felt confused in the start it's having the right kind of effect.

They better nail the Scorpio reveal and any accompanying games if they want to do well.

I am still baffled about how well the s is selling. I mean it is the same console more or less and people love it. Yet, it is the same underpowered console. Sony releases a console that is twices as powerful gpu wise and gets slammed?? Weird.

I am still baffled about how well the s is selling. I mean it is the same console more or less and people love it. Yet, it is the same underpowered console. Sony releases a console that is twices as powerful gpu wise and gets slammed?? Weird.

How is the pro getting slammed?

Sounds like it won't be any more than $399, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a higher tier model with a bigger HDD for $450.

I find it interesting that the price of a "premium" console is expected to cost less then the latest iPhone.

How does that work?

Are you really trying to make this comparison? I mean really?

Chris1

OK, that could justify the extra $100, but why would MS chase the $499 price instead of $449 2TB SKU?

I think $399 will be 500GB with 2TB at $499. Putting an SSD in is just driving up the price for something most console gamers don't care about. Will it come down the line? Maybe, but not at launch.

Some people think the S is the Scorpio.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Maybe people will stop saying it'll be $600 bucks now.

Spencer isn't dumb. Anythjng over 400 is going to be a tough sell.

PlayerOne

Banned
Yea cause they're gonna advertise year olds games as their main showcase running in 4K.

I mean fuck Crackdown, Forza 7, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves and other more recent games right. Who cares about whatever they're releasing in 2018 too? It's all about that 2016 Gears of War.

Maybe Forza, but they would want to show it off with their graphically-intensive games. Maybe 3rd party, but no Battlefield next year. Maybe AssCreed,

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

85% of the console market doesn't give two poops about power. They care what games it has and how much it costs.

The consensus of the Xbox One was that it sucked and couldn't play used games, and the ps4 was more powerful yet cheaper. But that perception is gone with the one s in the mind of a consumer. This is the one S, not the Xbox one!

The S is being bundled with gears and Battlefield 1. It's a no brainier at $250.

It will probably be more than 399 the language is similiar to palmers when talking about rift pricing. People were assuming the price would be 399 a year ago relating it to the cv2 pricing.

GHG

Gold Member
It will would kind of imply the console is finalized though wouldn't it?

I want sounds like they're still planning stuff.

Well the biggest problem they have is the fact that they've committed to a spec sheet already. That will greatly limit the degree to which they might be able to alter things in order to keep the cost down if they need to. The only alternative they have now to keep the price "reasonable" is to potentially sell it at a loss.

To what degree they can do this isn't ultimately Phil's call, hence "I want".

brawly

If Sony can put out a 4.3 TFlop console for $399 in Fall 2016 then MS can easily put out a 6 tflop console at $399 a year later. Parts become cheaper.

Now if they go ahead and include a new zen cpu then $450 or $500 is on the cards.

They better. Maybe not Zen but something much better than now, otherwise it'll be a huge bottleneck.

85% of the console market doesn't give two poops about power. They care what games it has and how much it costs.

The consensus of the Xbox One was that it sucked and couldn't play used games, and the ps4 was more powerful yet cheaper. But that perception is gone with the one s in the mind of a consumer. This is the one S, not the Xbox one!

The S is being bundled with gears and Battlefield 1. It's a no brainier at $250.

Alot of reviews are saying there is not much noticeable difference with the resolution increase(Pro).While the pretty much non game upgrade Xbox S that just upscales was relatively well received.

I guess I am talking more specifically about reviews. I understand that cost is a huge factor in purchasing these console.

ViciousDS

Banned
I want to see what there vision is of the thing first.

With data caps now a huge norm, insane day 1 patches and size of games getting bigger on average there is no way I can do a digital future. Sadly its only going to get worst......so I'm hoping they don't try to bring anything back from their original plan no matter how good it is. Almost every game at this point is hitting 10% of your cap after all the updates have been introduced. Look how big Halo 5 is in size.....dear lord.

It's all about the vision.....price means little to me with how good/powerful the console is going to be.

This is basically a new generation due to the power gap and the change in hardware according to the rumors and comments from Dev's. There is always a roadmap and I want to see what it is with this thing.

May of 2017 is going to be interesting. I'm going to assume they will hold a seperate event for the device just like everyone else now does and like they did with the original xbox one

Sydle

Was probably not about power in the first place for most folks. Going to see that come up a lot post-Scorpio lol.

MS has washed off a lot of the stink from the 2013 reveal (e.g., TV first, Kinect, no used games, always-on DRM) and the ground swell of negative public sentiment. It was up until last year I still heard a few people saying XB1 doesn't play used games. Time heals everything.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I guess I am talking more specifically about reviews. I understand that cost is a huge factor in purchasing these console.

Most consumers don't care about reviews. Same scenario. I had somebody ask me if force unleashed 2 was good. People do not look at reviews as much as you think.

theWB27

Well the biggest problem they have is the fact that they've committed to a spec sheet already. That will greatly limit the degree to which they might be able to alter things in order to keep the cost down if they need to. The only alternative they have now to keep the price "reasonable" is to potentially sell it at a loss.

To what degree they can do this isn't ultimately Phil's call, hence "I want".

Ah...good point. Forgot the commitment.

It has to be 399 if they want to have a shot at beating Sony.

I don't think that's true.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they beefed up the One S a little bit. If Scorpio is too expensive for you, than the S still exists. And not in a Mattrick "if you don't want always online, play 360" kind of way. standard PS4 is still more powerful than the S, but the S has HDR and a UHD-drive, which not even the Pro has. It has undermined the Pro a bit, and cemented itself as a relevant console. MS will end up having a sexy, cheap, and very relevant console, while also having the most powerful console if that's your thing.

If played right, I think MS can be in a very good spot, even with a high price point for Scorpio. Of course I wouldn't bet all my money on Xbox's PR department to do a good job, as Xbox's messaging has stumbled a lot during this generation, but we'll see.

PaNaMa

Banned

I would not be so sure. I was a console gamer, turned PC gamer, then hit a crossroads. Turned console gamer again because X360 was so good at its time. Sure it wasn't anywhere near high end pc, but actually approximated a mid range one pretty well. It was a big jump for a console.

The 10 year life of X360 pushed me back to PC, but boy was I excited for XB1. Until it was revealed XB1 was kinect-focused was not *really* that big a power jump, not even close to bridging that gap, or becoming close to a mid range PC. I felt like they really skimped, so I balked. Ultimately bought a PS4 for Destiny, simply because PS4 was more powerful hardware.

With Scorpio, well, it represents an opportunity to get people like me to return to Microsoft's ecosystem. I miss XBL. I'm looking for an excuse to come back. But if the hardware isn't exceptional, a giant leap above what's available right now, then I'm not going to commit. I don't mind paying a premium. I don't expect there to be a 1080ti GPU under the hood, but it would almost certainly have to be 1070ish power to do 4K native gaming (on medium). If it's awesome. I'm in. 6TF in June 2016 won't seem as earth shattering in Nov 2017, with 4.2Tf PS4 pro on the market a year, and PCs another year ahead. If I'm MS I'm aiming even higher, but we'll see.
I

Top Bottom