• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Scorpio will have a console price point, not compete with high-end rigs

Oynox

399 is my bet as well. Since it will be released next year, prices for the Xbox One S will probably further drop and justiy the 399 even more.

Mash83

I am so in at $399, maybe even $499. If it debuts at $599 I will probably have to wait. Already starting to buy games in anticipation.

Blanquito

Huh, curious to see the final price point. Based off of things he said earlier, I thought it would be quite expensive, but this seems to bring it back down again.

Intersting that he says "I want" rather than "it will".

I don't think its wise for them to be confirming prices one year out so I think its understandable that when they talk about Scorpio right now it does sound ambiguous and non definitive.

We have at least four more months of this ambiguous chat to look forward to :)

Elixist

i've guessed 499 for awhile, but i figured it would be a new cpu. so i'll revise and agree with peeps saying 399 if its still jaguar.

DMTripper

If it's as powerful as they say, I can't see it being less than £500. I mean they can't take a huge hit on it, can they?

PlayerOne

Banned
It has to be 399 if they want to have a shot at beating Sony.

it will be 399 but they won't beat Sony.

The only time the Xbone beat Sony was when the price was way lower than PS4. On par, 399 Xbone could not outsell 399 PS4. 349 Xbone couldn't even outsell 399 PS4. It was when Xbone was 329 that it outsold the 399 PS4.

With that in mind, Microsoft's problem is not the price. It's the value. People valued Xbone at 329 vs PS4 at 399.

Xb1 Slim outsold the PS4 in recent months. Why? It was selling for $299.

and to people going, "lol 399 pipe dream". People said the same thing about PS4. It was more powerful than Xbone and it came out cheaper, remember?

LifEndz

249.99 Xbox1S and 499.99 for the "premium" Scorpio. But they'll probably launch around November and they'll be a slew of different bundles. Going to be interesting to see how it sells compared to the Pro next holiday.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm still bullish about $399 entry level 500GB model and maybe they'll do a Build your own Xbox like the Surface where they let you:

- Choose a colour
- Choose a hard drive 500GB, 1TB, 2TB or 500 SSD, 1TB SSD or 2TB SSD
- Choose a standard or Elite controller
- Add an optional engraving

All at a higher price.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ya'll still doubt that $399.99 price? We kept trying to tell your asses, but ya'll just focus on "premium." LOL

EvB

I'm still bullish about $399 entry level 500GB model and maybe they'll do a Build your own Xbox like the Surface where they let you:

- Choose a colour
- Choose a hard drive 500GB, 1TB, 2TB or 500 SSD, 1TB SSD or 2TB SSD
- Choose a standard or Elite controller
- Add an optional engraving

All at a higher price.

yep.

This is the kind of thing that MS and Sony have both done successfully with their product launches. Apple do the same, by attaching the most popular colours to certain high end specs only.

Put a basic model out at an attractive price, shops can put that in the window. Then when you walk if you realise that you want a bigger HDD and the nicer controller and the non-peasant edition colour.

x-Lundz-x

Since MS continues to be heathens about giving me the ability to swap out hard drives like the PlayStation I hope they have a super high end option with a SSD drive.

I'll gladly pay the premium to get SSD performance, it makes the biggest difference on consoles.

Since MS continues to be heathens about giving me the ability to swap out hard drives like the PlayStation I hope they have a super high end option with a SSD drive.

I'll gladly pay the premium to get SSD performance, it makes the biggest difference on consoles.

Have you tried using an external hard drive? Performance is supposedly pretty good with SSDs on XB1.

LowSignal

$500 MAX for me and there needs to be heavy hitter(Halo,Red Dead,Crackdown,Destiny, ect) titles that take advantage of it.

I know money is different in value now then 10 years ago but anything above £299 is annoying, 300 is already a lot of money for a console and the ps3 and xbox one both being £425+ at launch was a laugh, but also sadness.

Holiday 2017 BF Deals

Scorpio: $449
Xbox One S: $199 with 2 games
PS4 Pro: $299 with 2 games
PS4 $199 with 2 games
Switch: $299

Chill out GAF....these are just guesses :)

King_Moc

Banned
6TF at the end of next year is pretty much the equivalent to PS4 Pro's 4.2TF this year, so I think it'll be a similar price.

Alot of reviews are saying there is not much noticeable difference with the resolution increase(Pro).While the pretty much non game upgrade Xbox S that just upscales was relatively well received.

That's hardly a slamming. All that really matters is how well it's selling.

Base will be $350 or whatever the price the pro is next year.

From there we should see skus all the way up.to $500 with SSD.

Koobion

Looking more and more likely that this won't have much of a CPU upgrade, what with AMD not taking custom contracts for their new chips yet, and the language quickly becoming concerned with balance.

The large difference in price predictions seems to be that some people think Microsoft wants Scorpio to be a spearhead, something to change the tide of the console race by actually matching the PS4P in price regardless of the big difference in performance. Others think Microsoft just intends for this to be a huge upgrade over the One in specs for the hardcore, forum reading gamers.

Ombala

He didnt seem so sure about 6TF there, wanted to talk about balance insteed. I bet its 399$ but a little weaker then 6TF.

PS3 was a console at $599.

Only because it had expensive ass tech in it.

blu-ray was new at the time and drives weren't cheap
cell was a completely new chip they developed
wifi was in it and wasn't cheap at the time
gpu from nvidia
that rambus xdr ram

throw in add ins like the ps2 emotion engine for BC, card reader, usb ports... the ps3 had a lot of high tech in it that wasn't cheap at all.

There's nothing special about Scorpio or the ps4 pro or xbone/ps4. It's why we got a $399 PS4 at launch that wasn't selling at a loss back in 2013. There's no need for a cpu chip and gpu chip this gen since they're both combined in the APU which reduces cost significantly. 6 TFLOPS of power means nothing. All that matters is the chip die size and yields and I doubt the chip is going to be a huge size since it's 14nm and most likely uses tiny jaguar cores.

$399 Scorpio 1TB, $499 2TB

Top Bottom