• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Hut and Taco Bell eliminating artificial ingredients from their menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsdesu

qa9bN.jpg

I'd like to announce my free agency

Good ol' Freeman.

Thank you sir.

getting rid of artificial flavors and HFCS is a good move. you can make tastier food without them it just costs more.

shunning GMOs is pure marketing bullshit. especially for a company that relies so heavily on corn.

For the pepper flavor, I would assume it's something like this concentrated extract oil. Cheaper to ship, cheaper to store, easier to consistently dose, and its going into Taco Bell's ground beef, so does anyone really care? Actually, I would be willing to bet that the "black pepper flavor" both tastes and smells more like fresh pepper than the shitty, cheap, pre-ground pepper they will start using now.

The fuck was Taco Bell using that was cheaper than black pepper?!
It doesn't always have to be cheaper. It can be easier to ship, use, have a longer shelf life, more consistency.

What are they gonna do about the Doritos Tacos, though? Or is that a workaround since the shells are "provided by Doritos," technically?

Nubster

Banned
this organic all natural trend makes my eyes roll so hard

I agree, sorry people who don't understand fast food isn't healthy.

For the rest of the population who loves that taco bell nacho cheese sauce please leave us and our abnormal blood pressure alone.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Now we can only imagine how they are going to cost cut if they can't use artificial ingredients.

Daria

they weren't even using real pepper before? the fuck. I'm glad I switched over to vegetarianism so I don't have to worry about this garbage.

they weren't even using real pepper before? the fuck. I'm glad I switched over to vegetarianism so I don't have to worry about this garbage.

Wow, you really think this only applies to meat products?

Smart Dogs Ingredients said:
Lightlife® Smart Dogs® offer up all the juicy flavor you love. Fire up the grill, top with your favorite condiments, and enjoy the ultimate summertime favorite.
Ingredients:
Water, soy protein isolate, soybean oil, evaporated cane syrup, pea protein isolate, tapioca starch, salt, potassium chloride, bakers yeast extract, carrageenan, dried garlic, natural flavor (from plant sources), natural smoke flavor, xanthan gum, fermented rice flour, guar gum, oleoresin paprika (color).

Organic Pepper Flavor Concentrate! Add to everything from baked goods to beverages!

Daedardus

The problem with artificial versus natural chemicals is that people associate the former with 'bad' and the latter with 'good'. All in all, it just depends on the chemical itself. For example, there are people who consider opiates harmless because they are natural, while morphine is a pretty taxing substance. On the other hand, paracetamol has certain beneficial effects while the adverse ones are very mild when not taking long doses for a long time.

Same can be said about food actually. It's true that some chemical compounds that in the past could come into contact with food (like benzene) are toxic, but only the notion that it's artificial is not a good base to rule it out.

Yum! didn't confirm this yet?

I read this same headline this morning, no official rep to confirm, so who's sending out the smoke rings?

Nubster

Banned

Exactly, being vegetarian doesn't mean healthy. I know tons of "Vegetarians" whose diet consist of cheese pizza and anything dipped in ranch or nacho cheese.

Laekon

The one thing specifically named, Carmine, is a natural ingredient. Sure it's made from bugs but bugs are natural. I guess it also contains metal but that's not really different then using baking soda.

Well that is good to hear. I really wonder how different their food will taste. I would assume that making that kind of change would have to alter their food by a lot...

johnsmith

remember me
I don't even understand why "black pepper flavor" exists over black pepper. Isn't the cheapest & easiest way to get black pepper flavor is to use black pepper? It's a fucking cheap spice!

sorry, this just blows my mind.
Black pepper flavor is even cheaper though.

Daria

Exactly, being vegetarian doesn't mean healthy. I know tons of "Vegetarians" whose diet consist of cheese pizza and anything dipped in ranch or nacho cheese.

okay so I eat the cheese but I'm sure it's still a little better than some of the stuff they put into the meat.

I really should have said I cut out Taco Bell once I converted fully to vegetarian but I ate it a lot leading up to that point

Nubster

Banned
okay so I eat the cheese but I'm sure it's still a little better than some of the stuff they put into the meat.

I really should have said I cut out Taco Bell once I converted fully to vegetarian but I ate it a lot leading up to that point

I can run with that. As I said I just have lots of friend who are vegetarian who decided to just go cheese quesadilla at Taco Bell vs chicken quesadilla.

I don't see that as much of a healthy alternative.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
the most important question is , with natural products in the food , will taco bell shoot through your digestion track like it used to before at record pace?

Valhelm

contribute something
That's pretty cool! I believe the difference between "natural flavor" and "artificial flavor" is kind of imaginary, though.

I've never walked into a Pizza Hut or Taco Bell and not at least entertained the thought that the meal I was about to eat may kill me. The thrill of not knowing exactly what you were putting into your body was half of the appeal.

*Sigh*

Now that thrill is gone

Nubster

Banned
I've never walked into a Pizza Hut or Taco Bell and not at least entertained the thought that the meal I was about to eat may kill me. The thrill of not knowing exactly what you were putting into your body was half of the appeal.

*Sigh*

Now that thrill is gone

First of all no one has ever dined "inside a Pizza Hut"

soleil

Banned
So the important question is will this make the weak stomach people shit more or less?
Both.

They will shit less per time that they eat it. But they will eat it more often, leading to more total shitting from these restaurants.

soleil

Banned
The problem with artificial versus natural chemicals is that people associate the former with 'bad' and the latter with 'good'. All in all, it just depends on the chemical itself. For example, there are people who consider opiates harmless because they are natural, while morphine is a pretty taxing substance. On the other hand, paracetamol has certain beneficial effects while the adverse ones are very mild when not taking long doses for a long time.

Same can be said about food actually. It's true that some chemical compounds that in the past could come into contact with food (like benzene) are toxic, but only the notion that it's artificial is not a good base to rule it out.
True. But also consider if you had a list of artificial ingredients and a list of natural ingredients. Chances are, the average person looking at the artificial ingredients will have a tough time telling which ones are good for them and which ones are bad. Same person looking at a list of natural ingredients will have an easier time identifying what's good for them and what's bad for them.

Briarios

All this negative publicity artificial ingredients are getting does not bode well for the future of genetically altered food.

There is literally no connection between an artificially created dye that serves no purpose in a food and a tomato bred to resist drought.

One is worthless, the other is food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom