• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

velociraptor

I haven't had any permanent burn-in on about 4500 hours on my panny plasma. I play 4:3 stuff all the time, games with static huds, leave it paused for a long time, etc.

I get some image retention after gaming, particularly the edges of a 4:3 box, but one pass with the white scrolling bar takes care of it.

Is permanent burn-in something I need to be concerned about? I thought I read somewhere that burn-in hasn't been an issue in a long time.

We have a pretty old 1080p Panasonic plasma in the living room - purchased 5-6 years ago I think. It's called the 50THPZ700 (Cost a hefty £3,000). Despite it's age, it's absolutely amazing. Image quality is second to none. The colour reproduction and the clarity of HD material is simply breathtaking. PS3 games look far better on the plasma than my relatively new Samsung 3D LCD! And despite being such an old set, gaming is possible on the Panny without any fears of IR.

Image retention was only an issue in the first year of the set I found. Since then, I have not encountered any issues with the TV. Any IR the set has featured has only been temporary. I use my Samsung to play games because I also have the PC hooked up to the set - far worse than 'HUD' elements. But when playing COD, I can notice the input lag. Also, graphics don't look as good as the Panny - 720p games and sub-HD games don't even look sub-HD on the Panny. I shit you not, they look like 1080p games on my Samsung LCD. I do wish we could get a TV with the picture quality, motion resolution, input lag and panel quality of a plasma, coupled with the form factor, power usage and lack of IR of an LED TV.

The Sony W9 LED TV appears to be one of the few LCD TVs which features this though - just look at that input lag. 9ms!

hey guys, besides the new Sony 905 led tv, which other led tv could be recommended for gaming? I'm looking for a nice 50" led tv and I don't want to get a +50ms input lag :\

nib95

Banned
Don't let anyone tell you burn in is not a concern on plasmas. It is, and if you play certain games a lot, you will have a problem.

Plasmas are not perfect, and I immediately noticed phosphor lag, which annoyed the hell out of me. Plasmas are certainly the best TVs for movie viewing in darker rooms. For everything else, I'll take an LCD with low input lag.

Image retention, not burn in. We have 2 Pioneer plasma's in our household which have no screen burn or image retention AT ALL, and a Panasonic plasma which has very mild image retention but no burn in. It's not like LCD TV's don't have lag either.

Honestly, for IQ purists, plasma is the only option. You can't beat that contrast, colour accuracy and those black levels.

So I've got a 720p Panasonic set in my living room that I got around the time the Xbox 360 came out.

I don't quite feel that 4k is at the sweet spot yet in terms of price or content, but I'd like to have a 1080p set in the living room now with 1080p streaming through Netflix and the new consoles coming out.

What is the general consensus on this set below? $900 looks like a great price and the reviews are pretty great. Based on the timing of the review it looks like it was just released in September 2012.

Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma

Valnen

Image retention, not burn in.

IR would kill immersion in a game for me. And IR is pretty bad on newer sets if you don't plan on watching TV/movies, at least if the research I've done is any indication. Plasma just isn't worth it if all you do is game.

DoomGyver

Do we know if the PS4/Xbone will support HDMI 1.4b or ?? 2.0? I've been holding out on a nice 3D set. I'd like 1080p/3D/60 and I think the only way I could get that is with an Asus VG278H + PC.

IR would kill immersion in a game for me. And IR is pretty bad on newer sets if you don't plan on watching TV/movies, at least if the research I've done is any indication. Plasma just isn't worth it if all you do is game.

The IR, dithering, and the ABL... breaks immersion more than anything else. Never buying another plasma.

1-D_FTW

So I've got a 720p Panasonic set in my living room that I got around the time the Xbox 360 came out.

I don't quite feel that 4k is at the sweet spot yet in terms of price or content, but I'd like to have a 1080p set in the living room now with 1080p streaming through Netflix and the new consoles coming out.

What is the general consensus on this set below? $900 looks like a great price and the reviews are pretty great. Based on the timing of the review it looks like it was just released in September 2012.

Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma

ST's get released in February. The ST60 is already out, but the lag on it sucks (75ms). So you definitely want the ST 50 over 60 if into gaming.

Do we know if the PS4/Xbone will support HDMI 1.4b or ?? 2.0? I've been holding out on a nice 3D set. I'd like 1080p/3D/60 and I think the only way I could get that is with an Asus VG278H + PC.

If you're talking stereo 3D that does 1080p@60fps, I'm not aware of a 2013 model that does this. Nobody put the 225mhz HDMI chipset into a non-4K set to my knowledge. Nevermind the Silicon Image website sells it for 6 dollars, nobody freaking went with that 225mhz chip over the slower one:(

Sadly, even the 2012 models could have used it. I think they intentionally omitted it in 2012 for planned obsolesce, then 3D bombed as a marketing aide and they didn't want to spent the extra couple dollars on something that wouldn't move extra units.

Koren

What a beastly TV. I currently have a Samsung but it's input lag is 40ms according to HDTV review, and that is via the high-spec camera method. Perhaps this Sony will be the next TV that I will look to buy.
Damn... I wanted a confirmation for the first declarations of ultra-low input lag on this set.

That's truly great. Should I need to upgrade, it would nearly be a no-brainer, especially since it's good overall.

DoomGyver

If you're talking stereo 3D that does 1080p@60fps, I'm not aware of a 2013 model that does this. Nobody put the 225mhz HDMI chipset into a non-4K set to my knowledge. Nevermind the Silicon Image website sells it for 6 dollars, nobody freaking went with that 225mhz chip over the slower one:(

Sadly, even the 2012 models could have used it. I think they intentionally omitted it in 2012 for planned obsolesce, then 3D bombed as a marketing aide and they didn't want to spent the extra couple dollars on something that wouldn't move extra units.
Aw shucks. I may just settle for the asus monitor then. If PS4/XB1 doesn't impress I plan on building a pc anyways.

Koren

hey guys, besides the new Sony 905 led tv, which other led tv could be recommended for gaming? I'm looking for a nice 50" led tv and I don't want to get a +50ms input lag :
If you want to avoid input lag, look at sets at displaylag.com, then search for reviews for the sets that qualify (there shouldn't be dozen of them, W905 is a huge good surprise, and there's no match at this size)

Keep in mind that the lag there is measures at the bottom (worse case for LCD) so the lag is a bit higher than usually reported.

HDTVTest.co.uk is a good website for reviews with lag measurements.

Everyone keeps talking about IR but that hasn't happened on my Plasma (Samsung and Panny) once.

The one issue I do have? Reflection. The reflection is insane during the day and horrible at night. Both TVs are about 2 years old. Have they "fixed" this issue yet? Any suggestions on what to do and which Plasmas in the market don't have terrible reflection?

velociraptor

hey guys, besides the new Sony 905 led tv, which other led tv could be recommended for gaming? I'm looking for a nice 50" led tv and I don't want to get a +50ms input lag :\
At this point, everything is pointing towards the Sony 905 LED TV.

It has a lower input lag than a good number of plasma TVs too, and that is saying something.

www.avforums.com have a set of reviews with input lags. Search there. I personally would not recommend a Samsung set - they are notorious for horrible input lag.

Generally, LCD sets have high input lags. Plasma TVs are more favourable in this regard but IR is considered a risk.

If you want to avoid input lag, look at sets at displaylag.com, then search for reviews for the sets that qualify (there shouldn't be dozen of them, W905 is a huge good surprise, and there's no match at this size)
Oh hey, that's a cool website.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can't speak for anyone else. However, I've never experienced any burn-in on my Kuro 9G. I was actually really worried about it as I play PS2 games using my PS3 and there are always black borders all the way around the image because of overscan (or lack thereof?).

Unless you play stuff with static HUDs for a long ass time...we're probably talking hours hear I think you are supposed to be good? Many people also recommend a "burn-in" period to help reduce the possibility of image retention and burn-in. Before you buy you might want to check out official thread for the TV set you are interested in over at AVSforum.com

Your eyes do not deceive you.

Plasma's get a really good mention from lots of people on the internet.....who have no clue what the F they are talking about. I honestly think half the people who recommend Plasma TV's just like saying the word "plasma" . They had a small advantage like 10 years ago over LCD in one category that was quickly erased, the technology is so outdated and , quite frankly, shitty in comparison to every other modern choice I cannot imagine anyone wanting to buy one.

Seriously, WTF?

Thread over guys. lmao

kick51

Banned

I've never seen IR when anything is displaying on the screen. only when I turn the system off and the TV is still on. If I feel like it, I can use the white scrolling bar to get rid of it, but it just goes away on its own. 90% of what I do is game on it.

You should probably mention what models you're talking about, if any. Apparently they're not all the same TV.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I went through 5 TVs to find the right one for gaming and I came away with a conclusion I wasn't expecting: plasma was unusable for me. And it's not the tech's fault, either.

The problem I had was the lack of any blur was so pronounced that 30fps games were unplayable for me. The judder was so apparent that I became literally nauseous. It was a shame because the TV (Panny Viera) had exceptional IQ and 60fps was smooth like nothing I'd ever experienced.

Unfortunately, most content isn't 60fps, and that trend is unlikely to change. It's worth noting that, unless you're exclusively a super-high-end PC gamer the blur of an LCD panel may be more suited to you - depending on your sensitively low framerates.

Settled on the IPS version or the Panasonic Viera and I'm very happy with it. By far the best of the LCDs I tried (the rest smeared colours to a disgusting degree).

Mastamind

Image retention, not burn in. We have 2 Pioneer plasma's in our household which have no screen burn or image retention AT ALL, and a Panasonic plasma which has very mild image retention but no burn in. It's not like LCD TV's don't have lag either.

Honestly, for IQ purists, plasma is the only option. You can't beat that contrast, colour accuracy and those black levels.

I have burn in on my p50st30 :(
Guess i should make use channels other than CN.

Dawg

I went through a Samsung D5000 and D6000 and for some reason... They're horrible for gaming? Same thing for my father's C6000.

Input lag isn't bothering me, but the slow rate at which pixels move around do. The C6000 probably has it worst. When I was running around in Dragon's Dogma, I could see my character's shield going left/right but the slow pixels made it so I could see the shield on the left side for a split second when it was going right.

Also, on the D5000/6000, I have an effect which happens on all my samsung tv's -> trailing when moving the camera around. Everything always looks excellent when nothing is moving, but the moment you move that darn camera around, everything trails. I'd go as far as saying some things have a triple trail. Depends on the game as well, but every 30 fps game has it. Also happens on 60 fps content I think, but it's not as bad. Still noticeable though.

Still thinking what I should buy for next gen. I really don't want another screen like those Samsungs. I've had a plasma before and 60fps content was perfect, but it had double retention on camera panning or something when playing 30 fps. It was a panasonic gt20.

I guess every TV has its issues these days. Never had these problems on CRT though.

Mastamind

I have a question.

I run my PC through my TV, and because of that a large portion of the desktop is being show often, should this automatically kill the idea of getting a plasma because of burn in?

Depends on how much time you have the pc on screen. 60-75% of the content on my tv includes the cn logo. The logo isnt very noticeable except on bright solid colors.

ILHASS

I have Pan 50ST50 and i absolutely love it, also have Sony Bravia, and after 50ST50 i just can't play on Bravia..black level, colors, input lag, nothing compares to plasma. About IR problem, after 200+ hours this not a problem anymore..

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still loving my pioneer kuro 50". 2008 was a great year for gaming and tv's!

Will likely upgrade for next gen as I do kinda want 3d. Are the pana plasma's as good as the kuro's?

Dawg

I have Pan 50ST50 and i absolutely love it, also have Sony Bravia, and after 50ST50 i just can't play on Bravia..black level, colors, input lag, nothing compares to plasma.

What about response rate (speed at which pixels can change colors) ? I find it that most people talk about black levels or input lag etc, but the most important part usually gets left out. For me, a TV with excellent picture quality, impressive black levels and zero input lag is still worth shit if the response rate/pixels aren't good.

Then again, I moved from a CRT tv to a Samsung HD tv about two years ago.. maybe I'm still used to the zero motion blur and lightning fast response rate of CRT :( I feel that I game less and watch less tv because of it too.

Beth Cyra

I have Pan 50ST50 and i absolutely love it, also have Sony Bravia, and after 50ST50 i just can't play on Bravia..black level, colors, input lag, nothing compares to plasma. About IR problem, after 200+ hours this not a problem anymore..

Maybe It's just because I've never had a Plasma, but the idea of IR and Burn in Scare me, and with how much my desktop is seen I'm worried it would totally ruin a great set.

I think I may get a smaller TV for just my bedroom next year and have that be my break in for Plasma and after I get used to it, then upgrade my center.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What about response rate (speed at which pixels can change colors) ? I find it that most people talk about black levels or input lag etc, but the most important part usually gets left out. For me, a TV with excellent picture quality, impressive black levels and zero input lag is still worth shit if the response rate/pixels aren't good.

Then again, I moved from a CRT tv to a Samsung HD tv about two years ago.. maybe I'm still used to the zero motion blur and lightning fast response rate of CRT :( I feel that I game less and watch less tv because of it too.

if by response rate you are talking about motion resolution/blur...i believe plasma has always been better. new lcds have those motion enhancement features that help but it gives the picture that overly smooth effect. dubbed "soft opera effect" as it makes films look like you are watching a soap opera.

turning on video modes like this also introduce more input lag. from my experience with lcds if you want to use game mode you can't use the motion enhancer. ymmv depending on your set though.

ILHASS

response rate is...speed of light ;)

Dawg

if by response rate you are talking about motion resolution/blur...i believe plasma has always been better. new lcds have those motion enhancement features that help but it gives the picture that overly smooth effect. dubbed "soft opera effect" as it makes films look like you are watching a soap opera.

turning on video modes like this also introduce more input lag. from my experience with lcds if you want to use game mode you can't use the motion enhancer. ymmv depending on your set though.

response rate is...speed of light ;)

Yeah, I mean... When I have to move the camera in a videogame (or the camera pans during a tv show or movie), that's when I really judge a tv. According to digital versus, my D6200 has a response rate of 22ms on dark backgrounds (a lot of games have these) so I guess it isn't that strange. I believe ILHASS' plasma only has 5ms. That's a pretty big difference.

I'm really gonna consider a plasma for next gen, but it probably won't be cheap. I'm betting part of the reason I have a lot of ghosting/blur on my panels, is because these televisions are €400 and less. You gotta pay for quality, I guess.

sca2511

Panny ST30 Plasma here. Beautiful. Only annoying thing is the buzzing, but I've seen evidence from other forums/Youtube that it's just that the screw(s) are a bit loose at the back of the TV and need to be tightened.

well I finally surrendered to a led tv, I bought the Sammy LED TV UE55F6640 for 1200€. I think it's too big for my current apartment, but I'm expectig to move over to a new flat soon.

the thing is, I don't know the response time of its panel but I hope it isn't too slow. I could've bought the UE46F7000 but I thought I would feel unhappy about its size when I move to the new flat, so I discarded it but now I'm wondering if I made the right choice..

on the other hand I think both of them are a right choice, but maybe the size might be a downer for me.

Dawg

well I finally surrendered to a led tv, I bought the Sammy LED TV UE55F6640 for 1200€. I think it's too big for my current apartment, but I'm expectig to move over to a new flat soon.

the thing is, I don't know the response time of its panel but I hope it isn't too slow. I could've bought the UE46F7000 but I thought I would feel unhappy about its size when I move to the new flat, so I discarded it but now I'm wondering if I made the right choice..

on the other hand I think both of them are a right choice, but maybe the size might be a downer for me.

I believe that set is around 8ms average

Man

Just so it isn't lost, the Sony W805A is the current latency leader amongst LCD/LED at 6ms.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-47w805a_TV_review
However, our concerns prove wholly unfounded, as remarkably the Sony KDL-47W805A produces even less image lag than the W9: a negligible 6ms so long as you choose the Game picture ‘scene’ in the Options menu and additionally turn off every other bit of picture processing you can find.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've got one of each type (all scaled to the same price range relatively) with PS3's plugged in:

42" Panny Plasma in main living room
42" LED Edge-lit Sony
32" LCD JVC

The only IR I've had was one the Panny and that was after a particularly gruelling session on the PS3 for most of the day. Put it on the static for a few mins, turned TV off. Turned back on and the IR was gone. Haven't had the problem since.

JVC LCD is very good, contrast ratios and blacks were found wanting though, seemed to sturggle with getting a 'bright' picture from component input.

The Sony was a recent purchase. Took advantage of a pricing error at Argos. It's decent. The blacks are still not as good as the plasma and I seem to have to specifically set it to 'game' mode or I detect a little motion blur. That might just be me being extra picky though as no-one else picks up on it.

Missus prefers the plasma for the PQ, I even suggested sticking the new LED in the front room but she had none of it after seeing the picture. Wanted to keep it in there. Fine by me, although I still play games like Dark Souls downstairs at night because of this.

I know CR has come a long way on backlit screens but I think I'd stick with plasma's personally. I have a room big enough for heat dissipation and I don't watch much live TV for the power consumption to make a difference.

aktham

I just bought a Panasonic TC-P42S60 two weeks ago and ran slides nearly the entire time. It has 34ms of lag (2 frames), and the picture on this TV jaw dropping after a calibration. I got it for 399 from Sears when it was on sale. I cannot recommend this TV enough.

I cannot recommend this TV enough. I'm tempted to cancel my ZT60 order and going ST64 and save 3k in the process, since it's mostly a for gaming and I don't care about 3D.

Panny ST30 Plasma here. Beautiful. Only annoying thing is the buzzing, but I've seen evidence from other forums/Youtube that it's just that the screw(s) are a bit loose at the back of the TV and need to be tightened.

got a panny st50 here and the buzzing from white screens when I first bought it made me want to return it. I called tv repair to come tighten the screws in back but they said it looks like they were already tight as they were aware of the problem on these panny plasmas. After a few months the buzzing is almost nonexistant and can barely be heard anymore. I'm glad I held on to it :)

Raptor

Panny GT25 3D, I don't use the 3D at all but since I wanted the Infinite Black panel I had to buy this one.

PQ is insane, I love it.

No Burn In and I didn't break it in, some IR here and there that goes away after 5 minutes of normal viewing.

Erasus

PC monitors are better for gaming than TV's right?

Yes and No. Inputlag is really low but its usually TN or VA panel so it looks okay compared to plasma.

Also monitors usually have 0 upscaling so unless the game scales to 1080p it wont look great.

My new TV is going in my bedroom which is fairly small. I already live in an extremely hot climate. I really like the quality of plasmas, but I don't think it will be worth it due to the heat. I also hear some Panasonic plasmas are still having the image retention issues. Probably LED for me for those reasons.

Midas

Someone who knows their thing when it comes to TV sets should really create an Offical Next-gen TV Thread or something like that for us with less knowledge when it come to these kind of things. Please? :)

Am I the only one that prefers LED over Plasma? I bought a Panasonic Plasma last year and it just does not hold up to my Samsung LED. The plasma has better blacks but that's about it. The color and sharpness on the LED kick the shit out of the plasma. Do people champion the plasma because of it's cheaper price? I mean I did pay a bit more for the LED but reading all these threads I was expecting the cheaper plasma to be better.

I've got a Panny Plasma GT30 and a new LED ( Samsung UE408000 ). The only advantage, as far a I see it, is that the LED is brighter. De Panny destroys the Samsung on IQ though. The colors on plasma are more beautiful to me.

Takuan

I wound up buying an HX850 LCD/LED. No regrets. Fired up some Metro LL on my PC the other night and shot some shit, couldn't detect any lag. Haven't tested with fighting games yet, but I'm probably not skilled enough to notice.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wound up buying an HX850 LCD/LED. No regrets. Fired up some Metro LL on my PC the other night and shot some shit, couldn't detect any lag. Haven't tested with fighting games yet, but I'm probably not skilled enough to notice.

Is the HX850 the sony with a matte screen? Probably would have been the one I would get if I were to get a LCD. Dying breed all replaced by these glossy mirrors

Someone who knows their thing when it comes to TV sets should really create an Offical Next-gen TV Thread or something like that for us with less knowledge when it come to these kind of things. Please? :)

Hard to do because there are so many sets out there and most people only have experience with a few at most. And if they do have experience its just with the picture and not actually gaming on them. TVs are expensive. :)

Takuan

Is the HX850 the sony with a matte screen? Probably would have been the one I would get if I were to get a LCD. Dying breed all replaced by these glossy mirrors

Glossy mirror, unfortunately. The HX750 is the one with the matte display. Ultimately, I preferred the image that the HX850 was able to produce and the reflections aren't a big deal to me, even though my living room is currently all windows. Once I get blinds put in, it'll be a non-issue entirely.

Gurrry

I bought an Insignia 55 inch LCD TV from Best Buy less than a month ago.

Came home today to find out it wont turn on anymore. fml.

Had a lengthy conversation with the store manager and he is willing to make an exception and allow me to exchange it for a new TV of equal or greater value. ($600)

I want the biggest TV with the least amount of input lag. What is everyones suggestion?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I bought an Insignia 55 inch LCD TV from Best Buy less than a month ago.

Came home today to find out it wont turn on anymore. fml.

Had a lengthy conversation with the store manager and he is willing to make an exception and allow me to exchange it for a new TV of equal or greater value. ($600)

I want the biggest TV with the least amount of input lag. What is everyones suggestion?

This might help.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
http://www.displaylag.com/introducing-2013s-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-part-1/

Top Bottom