• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Rodin

Can you recommend me one?

Actually i was looking at reviews and currently the Vizio D Series 2016 has the lowest input lag (13.3ms) on any modern TV. It's a pretty cheap model (399$ for the 40" 4K model on amazon), has good contrast and image quality and decent calibration out of the box. I'd say read the RTINGS review and see if it's for you based on pro and cons, then you can decide between this, the Sony you mentioned (which is pretty good too) and something like the Samsung JU7100 (or KU7100, which is the new version and should be at least as good but i couldn't find any review for that model).

Anyone has thoughts on quantum dot vs oled ?
OLED is still better overall than a LED TV with quantum dot tech. Colors are really impressive on both but contrast on the OLED is simply better than anything else.

Actually i was looking at reviews and currently the Vizio D Series 2016 has the lowest input lag (13.3ms) on any modern TV. It's a pretty cheap model (399$ for the 40" 4K model on amazon), has good contrast and image quality and decent calibration out of the box. I'd say read the RTINGS review and see if it's for you based on pro and cons, then you can decide between this, the Sony you mentioned (which is pretty good too) and something like the Samsung JU7100 (or KU7100, which is the new version and should be at least as good but i couldn't find any review for that model).
Thanks dude!

Rodin

so i picked up the Samsung UN50JU7100... what do you guys think? i got it for $674.

also what are the recommended calibration settings?

Great TV for the price. For the settings start from here, then use something like AVS HD 709 to do a bit more tuning for your specific unit. Don't copy the 2pts, 10pts and colorspace calibrations, these settings vary by unit and you need a colorimeter to calibrate them properly.

Great TV for the price. For the settings start from here, then use something like AVS HD 709 to do a bit more tuning for your specific unit. Don't copy the 2pts, 10pts and colorspace calibrations, these settings vary by unit and you need a colorimeter to calibrate them properly.

thanks... if i buy the newest one connect box will i notice a definite visual upgrade?

thanks... if i buy the newest one connect box will i notice a definite visual upgrade?

What? No don't do that. The one connect box is for processing, ports, apps etc. It doesn't have a huge bearing on IQ. That's the quality of the TV itself. The TV you got is a fantastic 4k non HDR/wide gamut TV. One of the best out there.

What? No don't do that. The one connect box is for processing, ports, apps etc. It doesn't have a huge bearing on IQ. That's the quality of the TV itself. The TV you got is a fantastic 4k non HDR/wide gamut TV. One of the best out there.

so the reviews i guess are just marketing bs... cause its supposed to improve image quality...

This new 4K TV hunt is driving me potty. They are either what I want but more expensive than I want to pay, or reasonable price but underperforming tech. Such is life in the consumer electronics world I guess.

I might just directly replace my 1080p TV, then upgrade all the TV's in the house to 4K ones in a couple of years or so. Seems easier at this stage.

Then again, the direct replacement for my Sony TV isn't as good as the older model which is annoying :(

What to do!

Rodin

yes the tv doesn't have any hdmi inputs on the actual tx... everything runs through the connect box... theres an update i could buy
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-3500U/ZA-reviews

wondering if its worth the money
It sells for 399$ iirc, so i'd say no, especially considering that your tv is still pretty new (2015 model). If you have that money to spend buy a good home theatre, which makes a tremendous difference in terms of audio quality compared to TV speakers.

I've had an LG 4K OLED (EF950V) for a week now and gaming is out of the question on it, the input lag is just terrible even if you have Game mode on and the HDMI set to PC - it's slightly better than leaving it undefined or game console and in Game mode, but it's still unplayable.

MrJames

yes the tv doesn't have any hdmi inputs on the actual tx... everything runs through the connect box... theres an update i could buy
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SEK-3500U/ZA-reviews

wondering if its worth the money

The SEK-3500 is the 2015 One Connect Box. It's only compatible with select 2014 and 2013 Samsung models so it won't work with your set. It includes full bandwidth HDMI inputs and all new video processing so it does improve picture quality over 2013 and 2014 models.

Yeah they look interesting. Sadly I'm from the UK and I don't think we can get them here.

The best alternate option seems the new Samsungs, but they aren't without fault either.
Ah, yeah, I wouldn't have any idea what the UK market is, as a Yank. Which Samsungs have you been eyeing? Is the HDTV going to be primarily for movies? Video games? 50/50? And what size are you looking at?

Ah, yeah, I wouldn't have any idea what the UK market is, as a Yank. Which Samsungs have you been eyeing? Is the HDTV going to be primarily for movies? Video games? 50/50? And what size are you looking at?

Probably 70% general PC use + games. 20% consoles. 10% movies. Something like that.

I'm looking at 55KS7000 or 55KS8000. They are the latest "super UHD" ones, but there are one or two lesser models too that I might be interested in.

I've basically ruled any Sony's out because of the input lag being worse than the Sammy's.

Those two TV's are £1500 and £1800 respectively though, which ain't exactly cheap :(

55B6 is out for delivery.
aaaaaaand it's raining all day]

Any time now! I'll post impressions, though so far other owners here appear to be very satisfied

Rodin

Took the mrs to the shops last night and we had a brief stop in the TV shop.

Dem LG OLED's! (O_O)

Shame about the prices and input lag :(
Input lag is perfectly fine on 2016 models and EG910V (and EC930V for that matter, but they don't sell it anymore).

55B6 is out for delivery.
aaaaaaand it's raining all day]

Any time now! I'll post impressions, though so far other owners here appear to be very satisfied
Daaaamn! Congrats mate, looking forward to your impressions :)

Jigolo

So Andrew House this morning confirmed that the PS4K supports UltraHD. Whether that means streaming only or BDs is still a mystery

tmdorsey

So Andrew House this morning confirmed that the PS4K supports UltraHD. Whether that means streaming only or BDs is still a mystery

Someone needs to ask him to be more specific. Although it would be pretty short-sighted of them not to support BD playback.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Anyone that owns an OLED (I have the 9100), what are your settings for the Xbox One? I am getting awful black crush with the same settings I use for PS4.

The tv is set to Black Level Low. On the PS4 I have the system set to Limited, which is ideal. On the Xbox One, there is Standard and PC RGB, which I assume are Limited and Full respectively.

I have had to crank the Brightness to really high levels to get the same type of picture quality as the PS4. It's absurd. It seems like I am missing a picture setting on the Xbox One, but I don't think I am.

Caayn

Anyone that owns an OLED (I have the 9100), what are your settings for the Xbox One? I am getting awful black crush with the same settings I use for PS4.

The tv is set to Black Level Low. On the PS4 I have the system set to Limited, which is ideal. On the Xbox One, there is Standard and PC RGB, which I assume are Limited and Full respectively.

I have had to crank the Brightness to really high levels to get the same type of picture quality as the PS4. It's absurd. It seems like I am missing a picture setting on the Xbox One, but I don't think I am.
I own the EG920v (EG9200 in the US) and no matter what settings I pick I'll always end up with black crush on the XB1. While I don't have that problem with my other devices (PS4, WiiU, PC, etc). I'm blaming the XB1.

I've currently got mine set to RGB limited on both the TV and the XB1 as that results in only the blacks being crushed. If I enable full RGB on both with the XB1 that'll result in white crush on top of the black crush, sigh.

pswii60

I own the EG920v (EG9200 in the US) and no matter what settings I pick I'll always end up with black crush on the XB1. While I don't have that problem with my other devices (PS4, WiiU, PC, etc). I'm blaming the XB1.

I've currently got mine set to RGB limited on both the TV and the XB1 as that results in only the blacks being crushed. If I enable full RGB on both with the XB1 that'll result in white crush on top of the black crush, sigh.
Run a flashing black clipping test slide on your XBO and adjust the brightness until only the bars above 16 are flashing. I had no issues with black crush on my EF950 and XBO.

Are there any downsides to the large LG OLEDs? I mean, other than price. I don't care about smart TV apps, this thing's going to be a monitor for consoles and other under-the-set boxes that more than have that covered.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Are there any downsides to the large LG OLEDs? I mean, other than price. I don't care about smart TV apps, this thing's going to be a monitor for consoles and other under-the-set boxes that more than have that covered.

I think price is the biggest downside, and that's changing really fast.

But really, it's a feast for the eyes. Only downside I can think of for me is the potential screen door effect, which is a bit more prominent on LG OLEDs, but you may not notice it at all. I did at first but the picture quality was so much better than LED that I forgot about it and don't notice it now.

Some people don't like the motion on the sets, since they aren't THAT much better than LCD/LED. It's better, but still uses sample and hold like many LED sets. At least on my LG. At least I get no color trails or similar blurring like I did with all my other LEDs.

In the end, the immaculate picture quality makes any cons pale in comparison. The Pros are REALLY high, the cons are just small blemishes. At least to me.

Caayn

Run a flashing black clipping test slide on your XBO and adjust the brightness until only the bars above 16 are flashing. I had no issues with black crush on my EF950 and XBO.
That's the thing. I've tried those RGB scale charts from 0 to 255, I've used the Disney WoW blu-ray but I can't seem to get rid of the XB1's crush. While I've got a perfect RGB scale on both limited and full RGB with my PS4 and PC when I test them with the exact same settings that I use on my XB1.

Edit: Mmmhhhh. I've just done a quick recalibration run. With a blu-ray source (Disney WoW) I get the same results between the PS4 and XB1 when using the same settings, both show a perfect representation of black and white values. I noticed that using an usb drive to compare between the two the XB1 refuses to show good white and black values, whereas the PS4 shows them without a problem.

FHIZ

Not sure if this is appropriate here since it's not exactly screen related, but I was just curious if anyone had any good insight on a good HDMI switcher for 4k sets.

My problem is that currently, I'm running an HDMI switcher along with an optical audio switcher, because I'm sending it to a sound bar which lacks numerous inputs. With me getting my new 4k set soon, I was looking to simplify things and came across this switcher with an audio extractor, which would be a godsend if I could get rid of the numerous optical cables currently behind my TV. The only problem I see with it is that it only supports up to HDMI 1.4. Now my question is if I want to future proof myself, are there any similar switchers that support 2.0? I know 1.4 can do a 4k signal, but only at 30hz. And when it comes down to it, the only future device that I can think of that will need to go through the switcher would be a PS4 Neo, as DirecTV boxes usually use coax cables for audio. Would it be worth it trying to find a switcher that uses 2.0?

ukas

Please post about console gaming, looking at this tv

The E6 which uses the same panel is beautiful. Lag should be around 35ms like the others (a review came through today in the C6 which has the same amount). I have the E6 and can easily say it's the best tv I've ever owned.

MrJames

Mine is set to HDMI Auto and the colorspace has options for standard and PC RGB. I use standard.

The E6 which uses the same panel is beautiful. Lag should be around 35ms like the others (a review came through today in the C6 which has the same amount). I have the E6 and can easily say it's the best tv I've ever owned.

Do you watch any sports on it? Wondering how it fares compared to lcd?

Just got the 3D glasses in for my new Sony Bravia... The crosstalk is making it unwatchable. No matter what settings I change, I can't find a happy medium.

Turning off smoothing reduces it, but then it has nausiating jutter. Literally making me sick and causing a headache. Be never had issues with 3D before.

Input lag is perfectly fine on 2016 models and EG910V (and EC930V for that matter, but they don't sell it anymore).

From what I can see, they are all in the high 30ms to 50ms range for game mode. While not terrible that is far from "perfectly fine".

Sub 30ms is what you want, especially when you are forking out a huge wedge for the thing.

ukas

From what I can see, they are all in the high 30ms to 50ms range for game mode. While not terrible that is far from "perfectly fine".

Sub 30ms is what you want, especially when you are forking out a huge wedge for the thing.

With that picture quality I'll take 35ms on the E6 any day. I watched some of the LG in store demo files last night and WOW. There are a couple that are just crazy. Specifically, the NASA and chess videos. If any one wants to give them a try they are below.

IMPORTANT: Rename the extension on the files to .mkv otherwise the tv will flip to store mode and you'll lose any settings changes.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg...n-thread-part-2.2028110/page-66#post-23736980

Caayn

With that picture quality I'll take 35ms on the E6 any day. I watched some of the LG in store demo files last night and WOW. There are a couple that are just crazy. Specifically, the NASA and chess videos. If any one wants to give them a try they are below.

IMPORTANT: Rename the extension on the files to .mkv otherwise the tv will flip to store mode and you'll lose any settings changes.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg...n-thread-part-2.2028110/page-66#post-23736980
Oh my. Just tried the Nasa HDR video and hello beauty. I sat through it with a smile on my face. Will try the others as well.

Thanks for sharing.

It's a reasonable trade off for sure, the OLED's pictures are fantastic. It would niggle the shit out of me though, especially for what I would have had to pay for it. Especially when my primary use would be PC and gaming. But that's just me.

Hey all, sorry for the late impressions - I'll be able to go in depth more once I am home today, but I spent so much of yesterday having fun watching content that I didn't post any updates! The TV itself is fantastic so far, and I just love using it for movies and gaming. Full disclosure - I haven't gone hunting for problems, so these are just notes from basic use.

CBSb.jpg
[

Night time, no Light play

PROS:

1. The deep contrast is amazing. Replaying games like Alien: Isolation and DOOM, Dark Souls and even the Witcher 3 all show noticeable improvements.

2. At my distance from the TV (about 10 ft), upscaling is fine. This is important to me because, while I do have a capable 980ti, I don't run all games at 4k (or even 1440) as 60fps is usually my jam. I haven't yet tried any console games but plan to test Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 and Super Smash Bros later today. Even regular Blu Ray content looked good as well.

3. In game mode, all games feel snappy and responsive. I played 2 hours of Overwatch last night and loved every second.

4. The tv interface is slick, and I actually like using it with the remote (which is a motion control pointer).

Now for a few issues I ran into:

1. HDMI ports 1 and 2 are located on the side of the tv, and if you zip tie them too tight or have them at too harsh of an angle, they can become unstable. I had this happen early on and it created artifacting, so for now I've just stuck with ports 3 and 4.

2. If you're looking for it, there is temporary image retention. Heck, I noticed the GAF logo on another tab while typing this post (if you reeeeeally squint, couldn't even get a picture of it)! However, so far nothing permanent. I will do a longer test some other night of a game with a HUD, but no Overwatch or Witcher ghost huds floating around yet.

3. EDIT: Likely this is Auto Brightness Limiter techThis one is a bit perplexing and I've uploaded a vid of it: Simply put, the tv adapts its brightness based on the content on screen, even with settings disabled. I don't know if this is inherent with OLEDs or if I have something funny set on my PC. I haven't noticed it in game, but I notice it while browsing Chrome pretty frequently.

Here's an attempt to capture it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiYnUc9CAG4

Phew! That's all so far - let me know if there is anything specific people want me to test.

I've got a good Panasonic plasma and even if I haven't planned to change tv just yet (Holding out for the "new tech") i'm wondering, Is there a better alternative than plasma for gaming?

Thinking Input lag and black/contrast levels mainly and never really had Image retention issues. My next one will be at least 65" so maybe that affects it somehow?

ukas

Hey all, sorry for the late impressions - I'll be able to go in depth more once I am home today, but I spent so much of yesterday having fun watching content that I didn't post any updates! The TV itself is fantastic so far, and I just love using it for movies and gaming. Full disclosure - I haven't gone hunting for problems, so these are just notes from basic use.

Night time, no Light play

PROS:

1. The deep contrast is amazing. Replaying games like Alien: Isolation and DOOM, Dark Souls and even the Witcher 3 all show noticeable improvements.

2. At my distance from the TV (about 10 ft), upscaling is fine. This is important to me because, while I do have a capable 980ti, I don't run all games at 4k (or even 1440) as 60fps is usually my jam. I haven't yet tried any console games but plan to test Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 and Super Smash Bros later today. Even regular Blu Ray content looked good as well.

3. In game mode, all games feel snappy and responsive. I played 2 hours of Overwatch last night and loved every second.

4. The tv interface is slick, and I actually like using it with the remote (which is a motion control pointer).

Now for a few issues I ran into:

1. HDMI ports 1 and 2 are located on the side of the tv, and if you zip tie them too tight or have them at too harsh of an angle, they can become unstable. I had this happen early on and it created artifacting, so for now I've just stuck with ports 3 and 4.

2. If you're looking for it, there is temporary image retention. Heck, I noticed the GAF logo on another tab while typing this post (if you reeeeeally squint, couldn't even get a picture of it)! However, so far nothing permanent. I will do a longer test some other night of a game with a HUD, but no Overwatch or Witcher ghost huds floating around yet.

3. EDIT: Likely this is Auto Brightness Limiter techThis one is a bit perplexing and I've uploaded a vid of it: Simply put, the tv adapts its brightness based on the content on screen, even with settings disabled. I don't know if this is inherent with OLEDs or if I have something funny set on my PC. I haven't noticed it in game, but I notice it while browsing Chrome pretty frequently.

Here's an attempt to capture it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiYnUc9CAG4

Phew! That's all so far - let me know if there is anything specific people want me to test.

Watch some of those videos I posted above and then it really shines.

I think I'm going to purchase the Optoma GT1080 projector, probably during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Would this still be a good choice? I know it's a bit dated, but it's only $675 on Amazon right now.

The SEK-3500 is the 2015 One Connect Box. It's only compatible with select 2014 and 2013 Samsung models so it won't work with your set. It includes full bandwidth HDMI inputs and all new video processing so it does improve picture quality over 2013 and 2014 models.

thanks

It sells for 399$ iirc, so i'd say no, especially considering that your tv is still pretty new (2015 model). If you have that money to spend buy a good home theatre, which makes a tremendous difference in terms of audio quality compared to TV speakers.

Thanks... mostly using playstation headphones until i move next year

ACH1LL3US

Tested the Leo Bodnar on the LG 55B6 both in game mode and in pc mode with game mode, turned off all processing enhancments and screen shift in home mode.

Game mode : 54ms
PC mode with game mode: 62ms

This was on the newest firmware.

Also tested the 55c6 and this gets 32ms in pc mode with game mode.

My conclusion is the b6 my be using the older SOC from the ef9500 as its lag numbers are almost identical. The C6 seems to be using a different setup due significantly less lag.

Hope this helps everyone. I also tested the Samsung 49ks800 and it has 20.7ms in game mode, super fast but pic quality isnt on the same level as the b6 and c6.

Top Bottom