• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Tested the Leo Bodnar on the LG 55B6 both in game mode and in pc mode with game mode, turned off all processing enhancments and screen shift in home mode.

Game mode : 54ms
PC mode with game mode: 62ms

This was on the newest firmware.

Also tested the 55c6 and this gets 32ms in pc mode with game mode.

My conclusion is the b6 my be using the older SOC from the ef9500 as its lag numbers are almost identical. The C6 seems to be using a different setup due significantly less lag.

Hope this helps everyone. I also tested the Samsung 49ks800 and it has 20.7ms in game mode, super fast but pic quality isnt on the same level as the b6 and c6.
Damn, that blows. Was looking at the B6. Don't want a curved TV or the dumb sound bar from the other models.

julrik

Tested the Leo Bodnar on the LG 55B6 both in game mode and in pc mode with game mode, turned off all processing enhancments and screen shift in home mode.

My conclusion is the b6 my be using the older SOC from the ef9500 as its lag numbers are almost identical. The C6 seems to be using a different setup due significantly less lag.

Hope this helps everyone. I also tested the Samsung 49ks800 and it has 20.7ms in game mode, super fast but pic quality isnt on the same level as the b6 and c6.
Nooooooooooooooooo! :(

Russell

Oh my god, this is seriously f*cked up and depressing.

It's amazing how incompetent LG is. They have to skimp on internal processing on a 4000€ TV? Now there is no flat simple "just the TV" option for OLED anymore this year if you're into gaming.

Kambing

Really appreciate your doing this... was going to buy the 65 inch version, but this is a definite deal breaker. Did you have the measurement for the C6, or have a link to it?

Rodin

First off, thanks for this. But it sounds really strange to me, aren't B6 and C6 basically the same TV, but one with a flat screen and the other with a curved one? Doesn't make sense for them to use different SOCs and processing if that's the case. Also quite a few people said that the games were super responsive on the B6, so either we're all making a bigger deal than it is about input lag and around 50 is still perfectly playable, or your measurement wasn't correct for same reason. Have you tried multiple times to be sure that there wasn't something off with the first measurement?

pswii60

Something fishy about that B6 lag reading. I've just got a B6 (55") to replace my EF950 (of 6 months) because the lag was driving me nuts, and the lag is a night and day difference between the two TVs. The EF950 feels super laggy but the B6 is genuinely spot on.

The EF950 has ~50ms so the B6 is definitely significantly lower than that. And it's definitely not placebo: there is an obvious night and day difference and I had the TVs side by side before deciding to sell my EF950 because I was (and am) over the moon about the low lag on the B6.

I've tested games that were unplayable for me on the EF950 in both game mode and with PC mode enabled: Ratchet, TLOU, Metro. All play like an incredible dream on the B6 with no noticeable lag whatsoever.

Also the B6 SOC is definitely not the same as EF950: this much would be obvious if you ever owned a EF950 and switched to B6.

Baffled by your reading.

Edit: which firmware are you on? And are you in Europe or US?

I'm guessing your lag tester is being temperamental again http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1097292

ACH1LL3US

Really appreciate your doing this... was going to buy the 65 inch version, but this is a definite deal breaker. Did you have the measurement for the C6, or have a link to it?

I tested the 55c6 in both game and pc game mode and it got 32ms on pc mode with game mode. Feels and shows same input lag numbers as my ec9300 1080p oled.

Nooooooooooooooooo! :(

Sorry!! I was going to buy the 55b6 for 4k pc gaming and this really sucks I know :( I dont want that stupid sound bar and I already have a curved oled.

Damn, that blows. Was looking at the B6. Don't want a curved TV or the dumb sound bar from the other models.

Yup, feel.the same.

First off, thanks for this. But it sounds really strange to me, aren't B6 and C6 basically the same TV, but one with a flat screen and the other with a curved one? Doesn't make sense for them to use different SOCs and processing if that's the case. Also quite a few people said that the games were super responsive on the B6, so either we're all making a bigger deal than it is about input lag and around 50 is still perfectly playable, or your measurement wasn't correct for same reason. Have you tried multiple times to be sure that there wasn't something off with the first measurement?

So, apparently LG said some months ago the SOC may be different on each model. Going by these lag numbers it appears they may have thrown the ef9500 one or one similar in these b6's >:

Also please keep in mind, I have had tested over 40 tvs and monitors with the Leo Bodnar, I can assure you these numbers are correct. Also I own a curved oled and its numbers around 30ms on average and it most cetainly feels more responsive then the 54ms on the b6. The Samsung ks8000 ans ks9000 series showed 21ms when I tested them and they felt much more responisve then what the c6 and the ec9300 was giving me.

Input lag is subjective, some will say it feels perfect at 54ms but what are they coming from? A tv with the same or more lag? Most of my gaming in my life has been on crt, so I am very very sensitive to lag.

ACH1LL3US

Something fishy about that B6 lag reading. I've just got a B6 (55") to replace my EF950 (of 6 months) because the lag was driving me nuts, and the lag is a night and day difference between the two TVs. The EF950 feels super laggy but the B6 is genuinely spot on.

The EF950 has ~50ms so the B6 is definitely significantly lower than that. And it's definitely not placebo: there is an obvious night and day difference and I had the TVs side by side before deciding to sell my EF950 because I was (and am) over the moon about the low lag on the B6.

I've tested games that were unplayable for me on the EF950 in both game mode and with PC mode enabled: Ratchet, TLOU, Metro. All play like an incredible dream on the B6 with no noticeable lag whatsoever.

Also the B6 SOC is definitely not the same as EF950: this much would be obvious if you ever owned a EF950 and switched to B6.

Baffled by your reading.

I'm guessing your lag tester is being temperamental again http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1097292

I tested both game mode and pc mode 8 times each, I also tested the c6 , the 55ks8000 and 55ks9000 all at Best Buy today. The numbers I got are accurate. The only thing I can tell you is that it sounds like placebo that your feeling less lag on the b6 versus the ef9500 because they both got about the same amount of lag mate.

ACH1LL3US

Baffled by your reading.

That issue you linked had to do with the Samsung pc mode, it was fixed on the next firmware and the tester showed the correct number.

All of the other tests I did today corresponded with what other sites have notated for the ks9000,ks8000 and the c6.

Look I know this isnt what you want to hear, I get that.

I guess you can wait until David at hdtvtest posts his review of the b6 and states the lag.

I love how I go and do this and some just dont want to believe it....

Nitroid

Neo Member
Looking at the 2016 Visio E-Series 4K displays, but I'm having a hard time finding any detailed tests. Has anyone tested the input lag on these yet?

pswii60

That issue you linked had to do with the Samsung pc mode, it was fixed on the next firmware and the tester showed the correct number.

All of the other tests I did today corresponded with what other sites have notated for the ks9000,ks8000 and the c6.

Look I know this isnt what you want to hear, I get that.

I guess you can wait until David at hdtvtest posts his review of the b6 and states the lag.

I love how I go and do this and some just dont want to believe it....
Ha no.. if I had an issue with the lag then I can easily take my B6 back to Costco and get a C6. I appreciTe you taking the time to do the tests but the readings just seem fishy and baffling given my experience.

What I'm saying is that the B6 is a night and day difference compared to the EF950 in terms of lag. So either the EF950 or B6 readings are incorrect, or misleading. Didn't the EF950 readings vary every time it was tested, suggesting some weird stuff going on? I found the lag on the EF950 completely intolerable in the end, especially for FPS, whereas I love gaming on the B6.. that's how much of a massive difference it is.

I've ordered a Bodnar first class so I'll see what readings I get this week and if they match. But please can you confirm the firmware number on the TV and whether you tested on Euro or US model? Cheers

ACH1LL3US

Ha no.. if I had an issue with the lag then I can easily take my B6 back to Costco and get a C6. I appreciTe you taking the time to do the tests but the readings just seem fishy and baffling given my experience.

What I'm saying is that the B6 is a night and day difference compared to the EF950 in terms of lag. So either the EF950 or B6 readings are incorrect, or misleading. Didn't the EF950 readings vary every time it was tested, suggesting some weird stuff going on? I found the lag on the EF950 completely intolerable in the end, especially for FPS, whereas I love gaming on the B6.. that's how much of a massive difference it is.

I've ordered a Bodnar first class so I'll see what readings I get this week and if they match. But please can you confirm the firmware number on the TV and whether you tested on Euro or US model? Cheers

Yes, the ef9500 showed different numbers each time, upwards of 64ms, same for the ec9300. So there is definately something going on there.

I tested on a us model, 3.10.19 was the firmware on the 55b6.

Please let us know what you see, try both game mode and pc mode with game mode. I hope myy tester is wrong bc I really really want the b6!!

B.V.94 thanks for the info. I always wondered looking at your avatar do you own a Sharp elite set from 2011? I own one and it still holds up so well. Was just curious.

CASFAN

Neo Member
Strange results from my perspective. I do a lot of gaming (some via a very low latency PC monitor and some via the TV (Consoles)) and the difference between latency is pretty obvious. It's one of the things that I tend to notice quite easily as I play a lot of games where high latency is easily detected. Played some Trackmania on the XB1 last night and it felt extremely responsive indeed and very good for a TV response time. I quickly beat my times set on the E6 I owned briefly (set in Game mode on each TV).

I don't have a lag tester, but I have a 65" B6 and the software version is 03.10.23. It would be interesting to get some more results, especially from the 65", as in real world use I just can't fault the latency myself.

Womp womp...

Daante

Samsung top lcd model KS9500 review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks9500-ue65ks9500-uhd-4k-tv-review.12673

"This year Samsung have really set the bar quite high, or should that be low, in terms of input lag measurements and the KS9500 continued that impressive trend. As we have seen with other Samsung models this year, the input lag in Movie mode is quite high at 125ms but as soon as we engaged Game mode, that measurement dropped to 21ms when using our Leo Bodnar tester.

That’s a genuinely low lag time and the best we have seen from any TV manufacturer this year. It should certainly keep even the most demanding gamer happy. Samsung have also finally moved the Game mode into a more convenient location in the menu system and the control now sits in the Special Features section of the Picture Settings sub-menu."

I have had many Pioneer Elite tvs and receivers :)
OG Elite up in the house! Do you have an Elite AVR right now? What is Pioneer's best offering in the AVR market that's $1000 or less?

I'm in the market for an AVR and have had Pioneer for two decades now. However, I've been eyeing Denon's upcoming offerings.

You have/had Kuros before, if I remember correctly. Have you retired them? I just upgraded from a Pro-111fd to a Vizio P65-C1 and, while I am now happy to be ready for UHD, I don't want to box up the Kuro and store it. I've loved that HDTV dearly! I just don't have any current use for it right now.

Oh wow, that's a pretty big bummer on the input lag for the B6. I actually have my Computer input renamed to PC and in game mode, would it be recommended then to not label that input as PC, or no?

Still very happy with the B6 overall, though I might have held out longer if I'd have seen lag numbers. Serves me right for being impatient!

Hobbun

I have the E6 and tried the new Odin Sphere game on Thursday. It is a good test for input lag as it is an extremely fast game that is reliant on quick response time.

I have not changed the setting from when watching TV (Expert Dark) and when playing games, and it runs excellent. I do not notice any issues with lag or delay.

Maybe it’s just me, that I’m not sensitive to input lag or delay, but my roommate has played Diablo III and hasn’t noticed any delay at all, either.

I moved into a new apartment recently and since I finally have my own personal living room, I realized that my current 32" Insignia is looking a little bit too small for my liking so I'm trying to browse around for something around 40"-42" to make up for the size difference of things.

Right now I'm looking through Groupon deals and they have two available for the LG 43lh5000 and the Vizio E40-C2 which fit my size and pricing criteria but I was wondering if anyone here's had experience with either of those TVs?

ACH1LL3US

OG Elite up in the house! Do you have an Elite AVR right now? What is Pioneer's best offering in the AVR market that's $1000 or less?

I'm in the market for an AVR and have had Pioneer for two decades now. However, I've been eyeing Denon's upcoming offerings.

You have/had Kuros before, if I remember correctly. Have you retired them? I just upgraded from a Pro-111fd to a Vizio P65-C1 and, while I am now happy to be ready for UHD, I don't want to box up the Kuro and store it. I've loved that HDTV dearly! I just don't have any current use for it right now.

Last Pio reciever I had was the sc-65.
Was great!

I have had the pro101 ( sold to dnice lol) pro 110, pro111 and still have the pro1150.

I would say the oled has far surpassed the kuro's now, now that I have the oled there isnt much use for the kuro, the oled has no dse whereas all the kuros have it so gaming I prefer much moreso on the oled :)

Hi there,

first post as an approved new member.
Long time lurker, especially of this particular thread and new owner of an 65E6.
Some of you guys might know me from other av forums. :)

I have the E6 and tried the new Odin Sphere game on Thursday. It is a good test for input lag as it is an extremely fast game that is reliant on quick response time

I have not changed the setting from when watching TV (Expert Dark) and when playing games, and it runs excellent. I do not notice any issues with lag or delay.

Maybe it’s just me, that I’m not sensitive to input lag or delay, but my roommate has played Diablo III and hasn’t noticed any delay at all, either.

Last time I tried the Odin Sphere PS4 demo was on my old Sony 50W685 LED TV that has around 21 ms of input lag, so after playing a bit of it on the E6, I'm surprised how you manage using an isf picture mode. Gaming mode is fine, though I still notice a bit of difference compared to the very fast Sony LED TV.
Overall though this and all other 2016 OLED TVs are great gaming TVs. Input lag was one of the main reasons why I didn't go for last year's EF950V/9500.

Here's a pic of the Odin Sphere Leifthrasir demo on my E6 OLED TV.
odin_zpscupcqqhz.jpg

Hobbun

Hi there,

first post as an approved new member.
Long time lurker, especially of this particular thread and new owner of an 65E6.
Some of you guys might know me from other av forums. :)

Last time I tried the Odin Sphere PS4 demo was on my old Sony 50W685 LED TV that has around 21 ms of input lag, so after playing a bit of it on the E6, I'm surprised how you manage using an isf picture mode. Gaming mode is fine, though I still notice a bit of difference compared to the very fast Sony LED TV.
Overall though this and all other 2016 OLED TVs are great gaming TVs. Input lag was one of the main reasons why I didn't go for last year's EF950V/9500.

Yes, I’ve seen you on the other AV forums. You probably have seen me too, same user name. :)

Yeah, I’m surprised as well that I haven’t noticed any delay (input lag) at all, especially by not putting it in “Game” mode.

Maybe I am not as sensitive as some are on delay, but when I press the buttons, they respond right away. Although, I’ve only used Gwendolyn so far, and I do notice when she swings her weapon that there is a very slight delay, but I think that is more design of the game than any lag. With jumping or using the analog stick, everything is spot on and happens immediately.

I can test it again tonight, put it in Game mode and see if her weapon swings faster, but I really do think it’s how it’s designed. I notice no delay not only in game play, but also when navigating menus. And like I mentioned, my roommate hasn’t noticed anything, either, while playing Diablo III.

I should test out Diablo III myself, though, as I’ve put in a ton of hours into that with my older TV and will notice anything ‘different’ immediately. Unlike Odin Sphere, where all of the gameplay has been on my new TV so I can’t compare.

Ok so . . . Do the WebOs apps (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) on the 2016 LG OLED line support 4K content streaming? The B6 remote doesn't have an info button so I can't check the resolution - I hope it does, as I really don't want to buy a Roku 4 or an Amazon Fire tv, as I will likely get an eventual console revision for 4K support later.
or an Apple 4K tv because I want one

It doesn't seem like Amazon has 4K streaming, or if it does it is well hidden. I think I determined that Vudu has 4K support but only on limited devices?

Both Netflix and Amazon have 4K HDR material supported by the 2016 OLEDs, though the amazon stuff is a bit hidden.
As for VUDU, 4K HDR support is VIZIO (and Roku?) only so far, but LG TV support has been announced for this summer. No idea about Hulu.

Both Netflix and Amazon have 4K HDR material supported by the 2016 OLEDs, though the amazon stuff is a bit hidden.
As for VUDU, 4K HDR support is VIZIO (and Roku?) only so far, but LG TV support has been announced for this summer. No idea about Hulu.

Is there any way to be sure about 4K Amazon content within the app? I seriously feel silly hunting for content this long.

Netflix I need to get the premium 4 screen account still

Two questions...

LG EC9300

1- So i got my new ISP set up, and i also have cable TV with it. It's all set up fine, coax cable into the antenna/cable output on the back of the TV. But.....when the TV is on, how do i enable cable TV? I don't see it in the inputs selection where HDMI etc is. What am i doing wrong?

2- So with the announcement of the Xbox Scorpio and no doubt PS Neo as well, 4K is becoming a bigger matter. I definitely am not going to sell my lovely OLED right now....but if i want to make full use of those new consoles....i will want 4K.

Any chance of 4K OLED becoming really affordable from now until holiday 2017? 55 inch is what i would be going for again.

Thanks.

No "Live TV" in your input menu? I assume you already made a channel scan?

The B6 is your best bet. Of course it depends on the price point you're looking for but by next year getting it for EC9300 prices shouldn't be a pipe dream.

No "Live TV" in your input menu? I assume you already made a channel scan?

The B6 is your best bet. Of course it depends on the price point you're looking for but by next year getting it for EC9300 prices shouldn't be a pipe dream.

Oh damn.....i did try Live TV. but nothing showed up. I did not do a channel scan. Man it's been so long since i watched cable or digital TV, haha.

B6 is LG?

MrJames

Held off ordering a K8500 and just preordered a 2TB Bone S instead. The single HDMI out is a problem but I'll get more use out of a console than I would a player. I plan on buying a UHD Oppo when it releases so this makes more sense.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OK guys I'm currently not interested in resolutions above 1080p right now simply because it's not the norm on current gen consoles and I don't want a taste of higher resolutions on PC right now.So I'm still in the mindset of building a PC and I been thinking about replacing my old TV with a PC monitor that will double as my main display unit for both my consoles and PC.

After some research I found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

+IPS Panel
+Low input lag according to DisplayLag
-Only two HDMI

So I was wondering if you guys think that's a fair price for what I'm getting?

irriadin

Waiting on the Vizio P Series 2016 65" to come back in stock on Bestbuy... but I'm debating just getting the Sony XBR65X810C, which is in stock and $500 cheaper. My concerns are that it's an IPS panel instead of a VA one, and that the black levels are just not as deep on the Sony vs Vizio.

Anyone own a Vizio P 2016 or Sony XBR 810C?

Waiting on the Vizio P Series 2016 65" to come back in stock on Bestbuy... but I'm debating just getting the Sony XBR65X810C, which is in stock and $500 cheaper. My concerns are that it's an IPS panel instead of a VA one, and that the black levels are just not as deep on the Sony vs Vizio.

Anyone own a Vizio P 2016 or Sony XBR 810C?
P65-C1 owner here. It's a gorgeous set. I'm very impressed at how inky the blacks are and the input lag is unbeatable. You can't go wrong with the P-Series, any review will be a testament to that.

You could also try ordering the Vizio straight from them. If you sign up for their mailing list you'll get a 5% off coupon code, but you do have to pay for shipping.

Looks like im going for the Sammy 55KS7000. A £600 upgrade from my dead under guarantee TV.

Would have liked an LG OLED, but the input lag on them ruins it.

So with the announcement of the Xbox One S HDR will come to games.

Can someone with a Leo Bodnar and a LG OLED E6 test the input lag in HDR mode?
I read that the input lag is only in the 'Game' setting at 34 ms.

Another question regarding the E6: What kind of picture adjustments can you do in the 'Game' setting? Only Brightness/Contrast or also grayscale/color adjustments?

Check near the bottom of the categories. It should say Ultra HD next to the title.

Ah there we go - good to know they've got a category for it.

Having some crazy artifacts and flickering with UHD Deep Color and 4:4:4 full range on my PC - think I need some new HDMI cables.

ukas

Looks like im going for the Sammy 55KS7000. A £600 upgrade from my dead under guarantee TV.

Would have liked an LG OLED, but the input lag on them ruins it.

What TV are you coming from.

So with the announcement of the Xbox One S HDR will come to games.

Can someone with a Leo Bodnar and a LG OLED E6 test the input lag in HDR mode?
I read that the input lag is only in the 'Game' setting at 34 ms.

Another question regarding the E6: What kind of picture adjustments can you do in the 'Game' setting? Only Brightness/Contrast or also grayscale/color adjustments?

There's no access to CMS and 2pt/20pt options when you're in Game mode.

Rodin

Sony 1080p w800b from 2014 I think. ~24ms input lag
There shouldn't be much of a difference with the 32ms of the C6-E6, and those 8ms look like a worthy trade off for the vastly superior image quality offered by OLED displays. But of course choose based on your priorities, the KS7000 is also a great TV for its price.

There shouldn't be much of a difference with the 32ms of the C6-E6, and those 8ms look like a worthy trade off for the vastly superior image quality offered by OLED displays. But of course choose based on your priorities, the KS7000 is also a great TV for its price.

Yeah i know, some of them aren't too bad at all really. But then there's the price of them, especially here in the UK.

That's mainly why I'm thinking of the cheaper option now then getting a monster in 5 years or so when the technology has improved (and prices go down).

daemissary

I'm looking to upgrade my old 57 inch Panny plasma to something new.

What are my best options for something in the 60-65 inch range? Would prefer something with very low input lag since this is my primary gaming tv. I've tried reading through the last few pages and it seems like the Vizio P series would be ok.

Top Bottom