• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Appreciste you testing for us. Have you run it on any further recent software updates? Are you still getting 44ms? What about other inputs or settings tested as you said to lower it?

I really wish someone in the US could test their b series on the latest software. The input lag is only thing scaring me off the b series. Yet I don't really want or need the soundbar, 3D, or picture on glass of E series.
Euro B6 firmware updated to 03.17.05 and gives the same result of 44ms in Game Mode and without PC input label. Strangely the lag goes up to 54ms if you turn the TV off and back on again on your game input, but then goes back down to 44ms again in you switch to another input and then back again. We've seen something similar on the E6, which is why Rtings originally gave an incorrect lag number for that model. The lag test seems to vary wildly if PC label is selected which is strange, and yet it is consistent with no judder in person, so not sure what's going on there.

Anyway, here's a shot:
wg6EtCU.jpg

Honestly, compared to my (painfully laggy feeling) EF950, it's a world apart. The B6 feels great to play on regardless of the test. I dug my old Samsung 40" C750 LCD out which used to feel laggy and according to HDTVtest is 48ms (camera method) - it still feels difficult to play on and difficult to aim, and yet the B6 genuinely feels completely different and perfectly fluid. Really don't understand why there is such a difference in feeling between the two TVs when there is only a 4ms difference according to the lag tester, it's certainly not placebo. Perhaps the way the panel is driven or the instantaneous panel response time helps give a more responsive feeling.

I'm really pleased with the B6, in fact that's actually an understatement! But clearly the E6 and G6 are faster again regardless.. this is the year to buy an OLED and I'm sure you'll be pleased whichever 2016 model you go for.

Euro B6 firmware updated to 03.17.05 and gives the same result of 44ms in Game Mode and without PC input label. Strangely the lag goes up to 54ms if you turn the TV off and back on again on your game input, but then goes back down to 44ms again in you switch to another input and then back again. We've seen something similar on the E6, which is why Rtings originally gave an incorrect lag number for that model. The lag test seems to vary wildly if PC label is selected which is strange, and yet it is consistent with no judder in person, so not sure what's going on there.

Anyway, here's a shot:
wg6EtCU.jpg

Honestly, compared to my (painfully laggy feeling) EF950, it's a world apart. The B6 feels great to play on regardless of the test. I dug my old Samsung 40" C750 LCD out which used to feel laggy and according to HDTVtest is 48ms (camera method) - it still feels difficult to play on and difficult to aim, and yet the B6 genuinely feels completely different and perfectly fluid. Really don't understand why there is such a difference in feeling between the two TVs when there is only a 4ms difference according to the lag tester, it's certainly not placebo. Perhaps the way the panel is driven or the instantaneous panel response time helps give a more responsive feeling.

I'm really pleased with the B6, in fact that's actually an understatement! But clearly the E6 and G6 are faster again regardless.. this is the year to buy an OLED and I'm sure you'll be pleased whichever 2016 model you go for.

thanks for the feedback. are you the one that tested that (do you have a leo bognar)? i'm wondering as the firmware updates if we can re-test. i'm thinking after reading the e6 review on rtings, you may be on to something with the pixel response and low blur helping it "appear" smoother or less input lag.

if it's truely 44ms vs. 34ms, i guess that's not that much of a difference. are you saying that when you turn off the tv, make sure you turn it on to a different hdmi input, then back to whichever input have the game console plugged in?

i am 100% ps4 and xbox one gamer, but i'm not sure i've ever played on a tv with high enough lag to feel it.

previously had vizio 1080p e series, vizio m, and most recently have the latest samsung ks8000 (which is like 20ms) but the banding, light bleed, etc is really getting frustrating and looking at giving up on lcds.

at the same time, i really don't want to add $1k just for 10-15ms of input lag when i dont need picture on glass, soundbar, 3d, etc.

thanks for the feedback. are you the one that tested that (do you have a leo bognar)? i'm wondering as the firmware updates if we can re-test. i'm thinking after reading the e6 review on rtings, you may be on to something with the pixel response and low blur helping it "appear" smoother or less input lag.

if it's truely 44ms vs. 34ms, i guess that's not that much of a difference. are you saying that when you turn off the tv, make sure you turn it on to a different hdmi input, then back to whichever input have the game console plugged in?

i am 100% ps4 and xbox one gamer, but i'm not sure i've ever played on a tv with high enough lag to feel it.

previously had vizio 1080p e series, vizio m, and most recently have the latest samsung ks8000 (which is like 20ms) but the banding, light bleed, etc is really getting frustrating and looking at giving up on lcds.

at the same time, i really don't want to add $1k just for 10-15ms of input lag when i dont need picture on glass, soundbar, 3d, etc.
Yes that's my hand and Bodnar is the photo (and dog in the reflection!)

Bgamer90

Banned
HDR is going to improve for years to come, there's no real future proofed sets out there right now. The nit levels are going to increase all the time.

In 5 years or so time we might have established some kind of standard.

(Banned, but...) Yeah, definitely agree.

The current price of 60+" TV sets with HDR is probably more than double the price that they will be 2-3 years from now when there's more HDR content. No one should feel bad if they recently bought a sub-$1500 TV that doesn't have "everything" in my opinion.

Robso

I'm not looking for a new TV, but I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on Hisense sets? I'd never heard of them before the advertising in the Euros.

Azerare

So what recommendations would you guys have for 55" 4k sets. I hear that sony and samsung are pretty good brands but which would be the better option?

My main use for the tv would be gaming with the occasional movie watching.

Midas

I'm not looking for a new TV, but I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on Hisense sets? I'd never heard of them before the advertising in the Euros.

Well, seems that their advertising is working. :lol

I have nothing good to say though. I just know that I won't buy a set from "chinas #1" anytime soon. But I need something new, so what's one supposed to get these days? Are there 4K sets with acceptable lag?

Really weird to hear the input lag on the b6 varies in PC mode - that's how I use mine almost exclusively (have an Xbox one and wii u, mostly PC game and watch Netflix on it). I've had it for a few weeks, played everything from shooters to platformers with controllers and kb/m - it's always felt smooth to me.

Again, I say this as someone who isn't super sensitive to input lag. But I have had a few friends come over that are PC main, play DOOM on kb/m and say they didn't notice the lag. I play everything comfy couch style in my living room for reference

So what recommendations would you guys have for 55" 4k sets. I hear that sony and samsung are pretty good brands but which would be the better option?

Depends on what you are willing to pay.

At around 1000€ I'd say Sony is ahead of Samsung.
Sonys X85C(55") costs around 1000€ is is sightly ahead of Samsungs models in a similar price bracket. Unfortunately Samsung doesn't have universal naming so I'm not sure if the models are called that everywhere in the world, but the JU68 models and the JU70, aren't quite as good as Sonys X85C models.
JU68 has a HDR Ready panel, but lacks local dimming and other feature. JU70 has these advanced features, but lacks an HDR Ready panel.

Below that pricepoint Samsung is ahead, and above I don't know.

Kyoufu

Blow $4000 on an LG E6 OLED and don't look back.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Well, seems that their advertising is working. :lol

I have nothing good to say though. I just know that I won't buy a set from "chinas #1" anytime soon. But I need something new, so what's one supposed to get these days? Are there 4K sets with acceptable lag?

Hisense are basically Sharp tvs. At least in the US. Sharp sold their manufacture plant to them. My friend got a 50" hc8 with hdr and it was pretty decent. FALD and great blacks and HDR. Only thing is only two HDMI inputs are 2.0 the other 2 are 1.4.

stephen2005

Neo Member
I have very limited knowledge about TVs so please excuse my ignorance, but I just really need some advice right now. I had a long week working practically every day from 6 am to 8 pm...absolutely beat. I get home today at 5 wanting to just relax a little and watch TV...and my 50' unexpectedly dies.

Was not expecting this at all so my budget for a new TV is a bit tight at the moment. I want to keep it under $550 (and even that may be stretching it a bit). I can grab the VIZIO D50u-D1 model for around $550 - it has 4k but no HDR. Meanwhile I could grab a basic 1080p Vizio model from Target for about $375. Is it worth the extra money to get a 4k TV right now or should I just go for the cheaper price now and wait a year or two and upgrade to a 4k TV with HDR and all that good stuff?

I just don't know. I feel like just getting another 1080p is sort of a waste but not getting a higher end 4k is sort of a waste too. Do you even recommend buying a 4k without HDR? That Vizio 4k model I was looking at had some great reviews and tends to be one of the best 'budget 4k models' you can buy.

Bgamer90

Banned
I want to keep it under $550 (and even that may be stretching it a bit). I can grab the VIZIO D50u-D1 model for around $550 - it has 4k but no HDR. Meanwhile I could grab a basic 1080p Vizio model from Target for about $375. Is it worth the extra money to get a 4k TV right now or should I just go for the cheaper price now and wait a year or two and upgrade to a 4k TV with HDR and all that good stuff?

I just don't know. I feel like just getting another 1080p is sort of a waste but not getting a higher end 4k is sort of a waste too. Do you even recommend buying a 4k without HDR? That Vizio 4k model I was looking at had some great reviews and tends to be one of the best 'budget 4k models' you can buy.

It's only a $175 difference between the two models that you've stated. 4K without HDR is still a pretty big step up from 1080p in my opinion. (Good) 4K TVs with HDR at that size are pretty much over $1,000 and will more than likely stay that way until 2018. If you don't have much access to 4K content then you should probably just get the 1080p TV. If you do, then I would get the 4K. Both TVs are cheap so I don't see how you could get mad if you would want to replace it in two years or so.

The price you pay for one of those TVs now + a 4K HDR TV in the future will probably still be less than the current price of most 4K TVs with HDR.

paolo11

I need help on my newly bought 4k TV Vizio D40u-D1.

It's a great TV but when I choose Game Mode, the white background flickers or I get like soap opera effect. Can you help me what to do to fix it? All modes are not having this issue.

ss_lemonade

If you signed up to receive frys promo codes, looks like you can use today's code on a lg 55eg9100 to bring it down to $996. Sounds like an amazing price for an oled. 1080p only though

What's the current best sub -$1500 LED/non led on the market? 4k or above 1080p. Not really going to game on it. This is for the living room.

ss_lemonade

What's the current best sub -$1500 LED/non led on the market? 4k or above 1080p. Not really going to game on it. This is for the living room.
For that price, maybe the vizio p55 c1? I see the p65 mentioned a lot here and I'm guessing the 55in one performs just as well.

For that price, maybe the vizio p55 c1? I see the p65 mentioned a lot here and I'm guessing the 55in one performs just as well.

the 55" is IPS, while the other sizes are VA and thus have better contrast and black level.
Also the 50" is 60Hz while the others are 120 Hz (240 "effective")

MrJames

Looks like LG just took another $500 off the 65" E6/C6/B6 OLEDs. I have three days left on my 60-day return so I'll be getting another $500 off at the last minute.

E6: $5,500
C6/B6: $4,500

$200 off the 55" models.

Xellos

Anyone with a Sony x930d able to comment on input lag? Some sites report 52 ms and some report 36 ms. Rtings was asked to recheck recently and confirmed 52 ms, saying the lag might be different between the 55" (their model) and 65". All other 2015-16 Sony x800 and x900 sets seem to come in around 34-37 ms, so seeing x930d at 52 ms seems kind of strange.

irriadin

I want to get a 65" TV that is between $1500 and $2000, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to get. It seems like every TV has caveats. The Sony X810C sounds like a winner... but the 65" version is IPS and apparently has not-so-great black levels. The Vizio P 65 sounds like the perfect choice, but it irks me greatly that they had a "sale" with the TV at $1800 that nobody could order, and now it's at $2000. Perhaps it is truly worth that $500 premium over the X810C?

TL;DR - best 65" TV under $2K for gaming and movies?

Jigolo

I want to get a 65" TV that is between $1500 and $2000, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to get. It seems like every TV has caveats. The Sony X810C sounds like a winner... but the 65" version is IPS and apparently has not-so-great black levels. The Vizio P 65 sounds like the perfect choice, but it irks me greatly that they had a "sale" with the TV at $1800 that nobody could order, and now it's at $2000. Perhaps it is truly worth that $500 premium over the X810C?

TL;DR - best 65" TV under $2K for gaming and movies?
Vizio P, Samsung KS8000

Oynox

So, I probably need to buy a new TV in the next couple of weeks, since I smashed my girlfriend's one and promised her to give her mine. Currently I got a 22" inch TV which is quite old already (6 years, I think). That said my demands are not very big. I believe smaller screens produce a crisper image, therefore I do not seek for a big screen. Bigger than 48" would not fit anyway. It should be at least 32", I am thinking about 40" as well.

I was wondering if I need to pay attention to the Hz value (I am a tech noob, honestly), I think I once heard Hz are compared to frames, so do I need at least 100Hz to display 60fps?

To be honest, I am not willing to spend much on a TV, I would prefer a device for around 300 bucks, at least not more than 500€. I would love to have HDR technology, but that would be quite expensive. Do you have any recommendations? I cannot buy a Vizio since I live in Germany.

I should add, that I need this thing only for gaming and an occasional movie. And I do not even play competitive or many shooter anymore which is why I do not need the lowest input lag either.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Doubt it´s the best with the LF 55EF950V(4K OLED) I notice less input lag is than the Samsung eu425000 I was using before and most games played fine on that one.

Vizio P a big enough upgrade from Panasonic st50?
The Vizio P series is a fantastic set. I have a P65-C1 and am head-over-heels for it. The picture quality is outstanding, the blacks are inky (never thought I'd say that about an LCD), and game performance is outta sight (~17ms on Input 5).

Now, bear in mind, I went from a Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111fd to this set, so the bar was set real high for my expectations for image quality. And the Vizio P series has passed every criteria I've thrown at it.

I can't say why you want to upgrade, but, for me, I wanted to go 60-65", 4k, both HDR formats support, and 95-100% DCI-P3 coverage. I got all of that for $3000 less than I was expecting to pay with an OLED. And, also of note, the P Series have been critically praised by reviewers and on the AVSForum.

cchum

The Vizio P series is a fantastic set. I have a P65-C1 and am head-over-heels for it. The picture quality is outstanding, the blacks are inky (never thought I'd say that about an LCD), and game performance is outta sight (~17ms on Input 5).

Now, bear in mind, I went from a Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111fd to this set, so the bar was set real high for my expectations for image quality. And the Vizio P series has passed every criteria I've thrown at it.

I can't say why you want to upgrade, but, for me, I wanted to go 60-65", 4k, both HDR formats support, and 95-100% DCI-P3 coverage. I got all of that for $3000 less than I was expecting to pay with an OLED. And, also of note, the P Series have been critically praised by reviewers and on the AVSForum.

Pretty much same reasons. I think black levels were a tad better on your Kuro. I guess 4K is overtaking 3D, and that's no longer needed?

Rodin

A somewhat unrelated question, but i don't know where to ask: i'm looking to buy a Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar for my EG9100. If i connect my consoles to the HDMI ports of the soundbar, and then use an HDMI cable to connect the Soundbar to the ARC HDMI port of my TV, will the input lag increase? The TV is perfectly fine now for games, but i'm afraid that if i add more input lag it will become visible.

Vizio P a big enough upgrade from Panasonic st50?

Maybe you mean downgrade?

Jokes aside, that's a Plasma set. I know the P Series is considered to be really good but i doubt Vizio was able to beat the motion clarity, black level and contrast, viewing angle, colors and overall picture quality of your Pana to the point that it would be a considerable upgrade (in fact, i'm pretty sure the ST50 still wins in quite a few of those categories). The only real upgrade to a Plasma TV is OLED, but if you want a 65" then it would be hard to stay in the 1500-2000$ price point.

Fitts

Re: Vizio P series, after running some installs I think they're decent televisions (good for an LCD) but have an absolute shit UI/smart platform. I liked the idea of ripping everything out of the TV itself and merely casting apps to it, but it's terrible in practice and they went too far by relegating basic settings to the tablet. Really annoying (especially for seniors) and I put it in league with Roku TVs for the worst current UI/smart platform.

Kudos to Samsung for stepping their game up this year and finally implementing faster menus.

cchum

Need some advice. Found a good 2015 55" OLED for 1000 on Amazon. New seller and mentioned purchase outside Amazon. Scam?

Rodin

LG Electronics 55EG9600
No way. Stay away from it.

You get better specs (like input lag) with the 2016 models and features like Dolby Vision.

But if you can live with flaws like 50ms input lag and don't care for DV then go for it.
The EG9100 is still a great purchase considering its "low" price point for an OLED set. No need to spend all those money in a 4K set now imho, but of course if that's something people want buying a 4K set from 2015 doesn't make sense considering that the 2016 line is better in every single way.

Aske

Does it support both HDR formats? I thought it only supported one, which is why I felt like I had to hold off.

Also, I read on Rtings that the upscaling is sub-par. 1080p should be fine, but have you tried it with any SD or 720p content?

Does it support both HDR formats? I thought it only supported one, which is why I felt like I had to hold off.

Also, I read on Rtings that the upscaling is sub-par. 1080p should be fine, but have you tried it with any SD or 720p content?

It only supports Dolby Vision right now, but an HDR update is coming soon.

Top Bottom