• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Jamex RZ

Banned
Careful with LG Tv's, lots of them are RGBW this year, not giving the full 4k resolution. I returned my 55uh6150 due that (and the poor blacks due IPS panel) and got a Samsung ku6290 on sale for $699 on best buy. Great blacks, hdr and has super low input lag in game mode (around 17 ms). Couldn't be happier.

ss_lemonade

Picked up a Sony xbr850d. Great picture and amazing colors! HDR is noticeable too. Black levels aren't the best, but are quite good for an IPS. My favorite thing about it is being able to output 90+hz to it though. 120 hz works, but with noticeable artifacts, they disappear around 96hz, which is perfectly acceptable to me, just finished Doom on my PC hooked up to it at high framerate. Man, the way the green Cyber Mancubi glow with the HDR implementation is amazing. Upscaler is awesome too for 1080p content, and 4k games look great on it too. If you are looking for a HDR 4k set to hook your PC up to, I reccommend this set.
PC gaming/hardware supports HDR on TVs now? Or is this something like non native at the moment?

Dalto11

So I scored a free 50" Samsung J5200 TV through Verizon's father's day promos. I currently have a very cheap, very generic Emerson 50". Anyone have this Samsung, is it worth making my main gaming TV?

Picked up a Sony xbr850d. Great picture and amazing colors! HDR is noticeable too. Black levels aren't the best, but are quite good for an IPS. My favorite thing about it is being able to output 90+hz to it though. 120 hz works, but with noticeable artifacts, they disappear around 96hz, which is perfectly acceptable to me, just finished Doom on my PC hooked up to it at high framerate. Man, the way the green Cyber Mancubi glow with the HDR implementation is amazing. Upscaler is awesome too for 1080p content, and 4k games look great on it too. If you are looking for a HDR 4k set to hook your PC up to, I reccommend this set.
Which GPU do you have? What games have you played in 4K?

HDR is going to improve for years to come, there's no real future proofed sets out there right now. The nit levels are going to increase all the time.

In 5 years or so time we might have established some kind of standard.

Rodin

So apparently rumour is Sony will be announcing next month a new Full Array LED model with 1000 local dimming zones, 4000 nit brightness. Supposedly an "oled killer" and priced below last years OLEDs.
That sounds really nice, but how is it an OLED killer? Honest question.

B6 is 44ms, Euro version with latest firmware anyway.
That's pretty close to the EG9100 i own, which is pretty responsive. Didn't have a problem with any game (to add some context, i played Bayonetta 2 amongst other games and it was perfectly fine).

MazeHaze

Banned
Which GPU do you have? What games have you played in 4K?
I have a EVGA GTX 980 SC. In 4K at 60hz I am playing Overwatch, DmC and Dishonored. They all look amazong, especially DmC. At 1080p 96hz I played the last 3 levels of Doom which also looked phenomenal upscaled and the framerate feels great. Played a couple matches of Battlefront on PS4 and that also looked fantastic.

HDR is going to improve for years to come, there's no real future proofed sets out there right now. The nit levels are going to increase all the time.

And there will be something else that "is going to improve for years to come" to take its place.

It's kind of funny how people perceive there to be some kind of standard for video content right now, when it's really a mix of 1080i, 720p, and 1080p at various bitrates and video codecs.

Kyoufu

Going to order the 55" LG E6 this weekend. I'm pretty excited to see the difference between plasma and OLED, especially in gaming.

Only things that worry me are potential banding issues, crap uniformity of the panel and dead/stuck pixels.

Yeah that's why I decided to go with a less expensive Samsung as a TV for now until all the HDR/HDMI 2.1/Dolby Vision stuff gets cleared up. I will spend the Big Bucks once there is more HDR content and stuff is standardized.

I have a EVGA GTX 980 SC. In 4K at 60hz I am playing Overwatch, DmC and Dishonored. They all look amazong, especially DmC. At 1080p 96hz I played the last 3 levels of Doom which also looked phenomenal upscaled and the framerate feels great. Played a couple matches of Battlefront on PS4 and that also looked fantastic.
Nice!!! I saw this TV in a local store and it's amazing. Maybe next year when the price drops a little I try to buy it.

Yeah that's why I decided to go with a less expensive Samsung as a TV for now until all the HDR/HDMI 2.1/Dolby Vision stuff gets cleared up. I will spend the Big Bucks once there is more HDR content and stuff is standardized.

Yes indeed, same gameplan for me!

I'm locking in on the Sammy 60KS7000 UK version (equivalent to US KS8000 I believe).

A solid TV with great ~21ms input lag for gaming. And a fraction of the cost of the OLED's.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hopefully my nearly 10 year old LCD Samsung TV lasts a few more years. I want a new TV but I'm waiting for both the amount of available content to be larger and also been waiting to see where the 4K sets settle in terms of what features are essential. I'm hoping to wait out this Holiday season and jump on a big set, 40" at least and hoping for 55" or even 60" beyond for an OLED 4K set with manageable input lag and HDR for like $2K to $2.5K.

Its going to be amazing going from my reliable but really out of date TV to something like 4K with HDR, I can barely wait lol. Hopefully we'll have some consoles and such out then that will let me really take advantage of them.

Small update - I've finally had some luck in removing flickering and lost connections with my LG B6 and my PC in full range 4:4:4 RGB color mode. if anyone else is having connection issues and is on an Nvidia card, try turning off digital audio output in the nvidia control panel. I haven't had my tv lose connection in days now!

Kyoufu

Small update - I've finally had some luck in removing flickering and lost connections with my LG B6 and my PC in full range 4:4:4 RGB color mode. if anyone else is having connection issues and is on an Nvidia card, try turning off digital audio output in the nvidia control panel. I haven't had my tv lose connection in days now!

How are you finding the input lag on the B6? Noticeable for you?

How are you finding the input lag on the B6? Noticeable for you?

I've actually been hesitant to weigh in on the input lag for the B6 because I really don't notice it. I absolutely believe people who have measured it with higher lag than the other 2016 models, so maybe it something I'm not sensitive to.

I had a friend come over and play DOOM with a keyboard and mouse, and he also found it to be snappy. Been playing tons of Overwatch on a steam controller as well, and I like it.

If you're sensitive to input lag though, maybe see if you can test one in person? I'm loving mine so far.

cube444

Hey guys, glad I was told you were hiding out in here. :)

Is there any real advantage to picking a 65" oled over a 55" one in terms of gaining certain benefits provided by the oled medium?

Some people I know say to not even consider an oled TV size at 55".

Just curious on your thoughts over the 55" vs 65" debate.

Just curious on your thoughts over the 55" vs 65" debate.

I've never heard anyone say anything about OLED being any different at 55 vs 65. Now I HAVE heard people debate the usefulness of 4K at 55", but that's not specific to OLED. You'd have the same debate on LCDs.

I think 55inch is about the minimum to make 4K worth it, and 65inch TV's 'make the most of it'. Other than that no real technical reasons.

On regular LCD, some of the larger high end TV's have full array dimming which is much better than edge lit. But that's not applicable on the OLED's.

From what we currently know of the 2016 OLED sets, the 65" can go a bit brighter than the 55", but not like the latter aren't already bright enough.
If the 55" size fits you better, then go for it.

cube444

I've never heard anyone say anything about OLED being any different at 55 vs 65. Now I HAVE heard people debate the usefulness of 4K at 55", but that's not specific to OLED. You'd have the same debate on LCDs.

Yes, maybe it was the usefulness aspect of 4K at 55" that I wasn't remembering correctly.

Thanks guys. I'll most likely be buying something towards the end of the year.

MrJames

OLED wins the 2016 VE Shootout

mhUyC6q.png

Would have expected the Samsung and Sony TVs to get better color accuracy scores than the LG OLED. LG's calibration tools still have room for improvement AFAIK. If one of Panasonic's latest TVs (not available in the US) had taken part in the shootout, then it probably would have won that category.

So I've settled on two tvs. One is a Vizio 32" 1080p and the other is a vizio 40" that is 720p. The former is this years' model, the latter is last years'. Both are exactly the same price. Would you guys go with a smaller tv that does better resolution, or a larger tv that does slightly lower res but you get a larger picture? I'll be sitting about 6 feet back. Looking to pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

RedRum

Banned
Looking for a 48inch 1080p 120HZ LED. Probably something with game mode. Not Samsung. I need a new TV because my Samsung fucking died on me. Recommendations don't hurt.

watership

Damn that's a significant difference in nearly every category. I'm hoping 4K OLED's with all the bells and whistles will have dropped to decent price levels.

If you want flat, the 2016 LG E series is cheaper than the G level. The B series is the cheapest but I'd you game on it be aware of increased input lag.

Jamex RZ

Banned
I was talking to some people on Reddit about Scorpio, Neo and 4K and people there said it was best to not go for Samsung and Sony, since they don't support both HDR formats. It was best to wait and see if Dolby Vision or HDR10 would win.

I am in no hurry to sell my beautiful EC9300 but sadly i DO want to get a 4K TV for when Scorpio comes out. But that will happen sometime next year. There's a chance i will be able to find an affordable 4K OLED, and of course it depends on how much money i get back from selling my 9300. But if not OLED, the plan would be to look for a Samsung 4K TV. Maybe the JS8500 or successor(s) of it. But as i mentioned before, the HDR issue. What's the latest on this?

There is no "win" here. HDR10 is the facto standard and is what is required for UHD brays. Dolby is just an extended gamut etc and not a standard required. I woukd guess games will also require HDR10 as a standard and some will have Dolby vision as a nice extra. If you get and HDR10 you shoukd be fine as all bdr games shoukd have as a minimum.

Yes indeed, same gameplan for me!

I'm locking in on the Sammy 60KS7000 UK version (equivalent to US KS8000 I believe).

A solid TV with great ~21ms input lag for gaming. And a fraction of the cost of the OLED's.

I've been looking at that one too and I heard it has a bigger bezel than the other sizes. Can you maybe report once you get it? It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, just want to know how it looks. Can't find an actual pic of that size online anywhere.

There is no "win" here. HDR10 is the facto standard and is what is required for UHD brays. Dolby is just an extended gamut etc and not a standard required. I woukd guess games will also require HDR10 as a standard and some will have Dolby vision as a nice extra. If you get and HDR10 you shoukd be fine as all bdr games shoukd have as a minimum.

Dolby just announced a deal with Lionsgate, about a week ago. Dolby Cinema to Dolby Vision, all there films will be color graded under Dolby tech. Currently the extent of the deal, doesn't mention UHD blu-ray. Once the first Dolby Vision capable player releases next year, then we'll see DV disc titles.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Dolby just announced a deal with Lionsgate, about a week ago. Dolby Cinema to Dolby Vision, all there films will be color graded under Dolby tech. Currently the extent of the deal, doesn't mention UHD blu-ray. Once the first Dolby Vision capable player releases next year, then we'll see DV disc titles.

You will, but that doesn't mean HDR10 is going the way of the dodo. As I said, HDR10 is *mandatory* for any bluray that has HDR. It's part of the UHD Bray specification. So if a title had DV, it must also have HDR10 as its mandatory. Of course DV will be nicer and if your tv supports it, you'll see it.

Hopefully, and more than likely games will also follow suit using the standard since doesn't require any additional licensing or chips. Or both, why not, as UHD blurays.

The 55" LG B6 OLED (European version) with firmware 03.10.23 and using input HDMI 2 is ~44ms. I took 20x readings this morning and they varied only between 43.9ms and 44.3ms, so it's very consistent. This is in Game Mode and without the PC input label.

So a bit faster than the readings taken on the US B6 with the older firmware earlier in this thread. Still ~10ms higher than the C6/E6/G6 but certainly faster and more consistent than the EF950 which matches my experience.

I will take some more readings later to see how other modes, inputs and settings compare, if anyone here is interested.

Appreciste you testing for us. Have you run it on any further recent software updates? Are you still getting 44ms? What about other inputs or settings tested as you said to lower it?

I really wish someone in the US could test their b series on the latest software. The input lag is only thing scaring me off the b series. Yet I don't really want or need the soundbar, 3D, or picture on glass of E series.

Appreciste you testing for us. Have you run it on any further recent software updates? Are you still getting 44ms? What about other inputs or settings tested as you said to lower it?

I really wish someone in the US could test their b series on the latest software. The input lag is only thing scaring me off the b series. Yet I don't really want or need the soundbar, 3D, or picture on glass of E series.

Would love to help if there's a method other than buying a Leo Bodnar test kit.

Top Bottom