• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

If you want to buy a 4K TV for Scorpio then wait until it's close to launch. The JS8500 and its successor will no longer be available by Fall 2017. Most of the 2017 televisions will be announced at CES next January and most will not only have been released but dropped in price by Fall.

Yeah, but right now my ec9300 is worth enough money. But if there's no other affordable TV for me right now then there's no reason. I will definitely wait. Let's wait and see how this HDR 'war' goes.

Need some help guys looking to get a 4k good for all around entertainment(gaming, movies). I have a few choices so far. Has to get 65 inches.

Samsung UN65JS8500 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

Sony XBR65X930D 65-Inch 4K HDR Ultra HD TV (2016 Model)

Need some help guys looking to get a 4k good for all around entertainment(gaming, movies). I have a few choices so far. Has to get 65 inches.

Samsung UN65JS8500 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

Sony XBR65X930D 65-Inch 4K HDR Ultra HD TV (2016 Model)

Viewing in a bright room, lot of light, either one is good. Low to no light, may see blooming on letter boxes and end credits. Both are edgelit, the Sony appears to have the worst lag of the two.

tmdorsey

Yeah, but right now my ec9300 is worth enough money. But if there's no other affordable TV for me right now then there's no reason. I will definitely wait. Let's wait and see how this HDR 'war' goes.

There's not really a HDR war. Dolby Vision is more an "enhanced" version of HDR10. HDR10 is a requirement for all UHD Blu Ray discs. There's only one streaming service that's that's currently Dolby Vision only (VUDU). All the others support either HDR10 only or HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I think given the fact that UHD movies on disc are required to support HDR10 that console games would follow suit.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Just got an LG 55UH6150 on sale for $700. Great tv, it has HDR and I was pleasantly surprised it's native resolution is 4096 (I can't remember the exact number) not 3840 ( is this the right number?). I mean, most TVs are the latter no? This one has one up. I just need to update my video card. My radeon 7970 GHz isn't cutting it with its old HDMI 1.4

ukas

Yea the problem is I kinda want 65". Dat price tho' :(

So i was looking at the LG 65EF9500, which is cheaper than the 55E6P, 10" bigger, and very similar in terms of picture quality. I'm not even a videophile, so I suspect the extra 10" would be much more noticeable to me than the better HDR, and I might not even notice the quality differences at all
You could go for the B6 which is cheaper. Since you said you weren't going to use it for gaming the input lag shouldn't bother you.

Viewing in a bright room, lot of light, either one is good. Low to no light, may see blooming on letter boxes and end credits. Both are edgelit, the Sony appears to have the worst lag of the two.
Is the blooming minimal or very detracting? What's the input lag on the Sony, I'm getting different numbers when u goggle it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Received the 4K Blu-Rays of Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness

If you have a 4K HDR TV, you need to get both or either one of these movies. The PQ and HDR is absolutely unreal. Some of the best PQ I've ever seen, period and easily the best 4K discs yet. The HDR effects in space, the lens flares, the Red Forest in ID, it's really jaw dropping.

Im watching it on my EF9500 for reference.

You could go for the B6 which is cheaper. Since you said you weren't going to use it for gaming the input lag shouldn't bother you.

That's true but the B6 doesn't have 3D, which kinda sucks. Meh, I wish I had the 6k to drop on the 65E6P. I mean I do, but blah. Leaning towards the 65EF9500 for now. Half the price, and the only thing it's missing is picture on glass.

Dead

well not really...yet
That's true but the B6 doesn't have 3D, which kinda sucks. Meh, I wish I had the 6k to drop on the 65E6P. I mean I do, but blah. Leaning towards the 65EF9500 for now. Half the price, and the only thing it's missing is picture on glass.
I have a EF9500 and the 2016 models seem like a pretty noticeable improvement, the difference was instantly noticeable to me when I saw em. So much so im consideirng buying a 65E6 later this year and giving my EF9500 to my parents or something like that.

DjRalford

Quick question for anyone with one of the new samsung 4k TV's

Every now and again i have to reset the mode on the TV for my PC, i set it to PC, and name it PC, but after using my PC a few times it'll default back to the default HDMI / DVI name and be in normal mode.

Anyone else have this sort of thing happen and find a way to fix it? Oiringally i thought it was my active DSP - HDMI 2.0 adaptEr causing it but i removed it last week and it's still happening.

All the other inputs have stayed on the modes i set them to with what i originally named them as, just this PC one thats playing up.

Dead

well not really...yet
So apparently rumour is Sony will be announcing next month a new Full Array LED model with 1000 local dimming zones, 4000 nit brightness. Supposedly an "oled killer" and priced below last years OLEDs.

So apparently rumour is Sony will be announcing next month a new Full Array LED model with 1000 local dimming zones, 4000 nit brightness. Supposedly an "oled killer" and priced below last years OLEDs.
I'll believe it when I see it, but that would be insane!

Anyone on here have a Sony 4k Ultra HD tv? I currently have a Bravia from like 2012 I think. Still running like a champ, but really want to upgrade since amazon has a 55inch Sony 4k tv for like $900.

It's between that or a Samsung 4k tv that's about the same price.

MrJames

2015 OLED models launched at $9,000 so slightly less than that for a 65" Sony flagship isn't unrealistic.

Anyone on here have a Sony 4k Ultra HD tv? I currently have a Bravia from like 2012 I think. Still running like a champ, but really want to upgrade since amazon has a 55inch Sony 4k tv for like $900.

It's between that or a Samsung 4k tv that's about the same price.

My parents recently bought an X8505C(55"). Thats in the 1000€ price range.

Its not perfect but when you're on a budget and want 4k and HDR its a better option than the entry Nano Crystal models by Samsung for about the same price.
Edit: Android OS is running fine by now. I heard it was horrible back in 2015.

So I've been fortunate enough to be able to receive a television as a birthday gift, and I'm looking at purchasing a unit somewhere in the 30" range. I was in Best Buy (amazon showroom I get it) and I saw this guy.

http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-32l220u-l2200u-series-32-class-31-5-viewable-led-tv/specs/

It's got a 6.5ms response, which is supposedly all right? I'll be using it for my XB1 that I just bought.

I know it doesn't do 1080p but it's basically as much as I'm afforded as far as money goes. Would this be an all right set?

Simpsonology

Neo Member
I was wondering if you guys can help me with choosing between these two tv, as I can't seem to find the input lag for these two models:

Samsung ue48j6200
Sony KDL-48W705C

Which in your opinion is better for gaming?

Quixzlizx

So I've been fortunate enough to be able to receive a television as a birthday gift, and I'm looking at purchasing a unit somewhere in the 30" range. I was in Best Buy (amazon showroom I get it) and I saw this guy.

http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-32l220u-l2200u-series-32-class-31-5-viewable-led-tv/specs/

It's got a 6.5ms response, which is supposedly all right? I'll be using it for my XB1 that I just bought.

I know it doesn't do 1080p but it's basically as much as I'm afforded as far as money goes. Would this be an all right set?

That response time has to do with motion blur, not input lag.

That response time has to do with motion blur, not input lag.

How do I find out its input lag? Or is that a spec that's pretty hard to gauge?

Also, would it be better to get a monitor or a television for my price range? Monitors can do 1080p easily and for about the same price, I found.

demented

I was wondering if you guys can help me with choosing between these two tv, as I can't seem to find the input lag for these two models:

Samsung ue48j6200
Sony KDL-48W705C

Which in your opinion is better for gaming?
That Sony series should be good and I'd pick Sony over Samsung every time.

Hobbun

Stay away from the B6 if gaming is important to you. The input lag is rated much higher for the B6. The C6 seems to be the same as the others at around 34-35ms.

The C6 is around 56ms.

Hobbun

Started DOOM on my old Sony LED TV and finished it last weekend on my E6. Very satisfied with the gaming performance of the OLED TV. :)

You and I have talked about this already, but I have not noticed any issues with my E6 on game performance, either. And I haven’t always played in Game mode.

Gitaroo

Started DOOM on my old Sony LED TV and finished it last weekend on my E6. Very satisfied with the gaming performance of the OLED TV. :)

real test is 30 fps shooters or fighting games and rythem games, Doom is a butter smooth 60fps, so it elimite a lot of input lag issues.

Thinking of getting the Samsung UN55KS8000. What's the difference between this one and KS9000? Worth the extra money?

Aren't they basically the same except the 9000 is curved?

I've been looking at the 7000 and differences between it and the 8000. So far I can see dual tuner, better speakers, different local dimming tech and physical finish. All of which don't really matter to me.

edit - I'm going on UK model numbers which may be different to yours

I want an LG but they are just too expensive to justify it. £3500 for a proper one lol :(

edit - Also the price difference between different size TV's is insane. They have the exact same components. You can't tell me the materials warrant an extra £1500 between a 55 and 65 inch TV. Bastards!

edit - Also the price difference between different size TV's is insane. They have the exact same components. You can't tell me the materials warrant an extra £1500 between a 55 and 65 inch TV. Bastards!

It's not just about materials. It's about the manufacturing process and also the fact that OLED tvs, especially larger ones, are essentially luxury items at this point so they can charge more.

When the panels are coming off the line a certain percentage of them are going to have dead pixels or other blemishes. Too many and that panel has to be thrown away or recycled. Larger panels means it is even harder to get a "good" panel. They have to price the good panels to not only cover the cost of materials of the panel you get, but also the panels that they had to throw out so they could get your panel (on average, of course). This is especially true of LCDs with all of the potential pitfalls of not just the pixels but also light leakage, banding, etc. OLEDs don't have some of these issues by nature but I have no idea if yields are better as a result or not since OLEDs of that size are still relatively new tech and they have their own issues. How many panels do they throw out due to color banding on the white test pattern? We don't know but it's almost certainly quite a few.

As for pricing for the market, they know that OLEDs are the current hotness, and they also know that 65" is the "sweet spot" right now. LG have risked much to be the only major mass-production manufacturer of large-scale OLEDs at this point, so there are R&D costs to recoup, but also they are taking their profits while they can. They know others will enter the field sooner or later, and prices will go down. But for now, they know they can charge more and people will pay it. And since 65" is so desirable, why not jack those up a little more. Price-conscious consumers are going to be buying crappy ol' LCDs anyway.

MazeHaze

Banned
Picked up a Sony xbr850d. Great picture and amazing colors! HDR is noticeable too. Black levels aren't the best, but are quite good for an IPS. My favorite thing about it is being able to output 90+hz to it though. 120 hz works, but with noticeable artifacts, they disappear around 96hz, which is perfectly acceptable to me, just finished Doom on my PC hooked up to it at high framerate. Man, the way the green Cyber Mancubi glow with the HDR implementation is amazing. Upscaler is awesome too for 1080p content, and 4k games look great on it too. If you are looking for a HDR 4k set to hook your PC up to, I reccommend this set.

Received the 4K Blu-Rays of Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness

If you have a 4K HDR TV, you need to get both or either one of these movies. The PQ and HDR is absolutely unreal. Some of the best PQ I've ever seen, period and easily the best 4K discs yet. The HDR effects in space, the lens flares, the Red Forest in ID, it's really jaw dropping.

Im watching it on my EF9500 for reference.

I have the 9600, have to check these out.
Still holding out for the Oppo 4k player--the 103D upscales, but they said a new model isn't coming until late Q4/Q1 at the earliest.

Top Bottom