• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Yeah balancing brightness can be hit or miss on these. It's hard to go from a beautiful 4K source to something older.

Stranger Things in 4K sometimes looks like it was shot to promote OLED though. There are plenty of scenes with a completely black background and one or two illuminated figures. Gorgeous. Also the show is great.

the Submerging/bathtub scene were so damn good to show off black levels. Truly amazing scenes. Interestingly enough, the show isnt in DolbyVision/HDR.

vivftp

That's a Sony event for a Sony TV. You bet they'll show material that highlights their TV's strenghts.

They made another one for the X93D and the OLED looked like utter shit next to it. Too bad you NEVER watch TV in those condition or with those settings, so these "tests" are useless. They're just obvious marketing.

Which is why I said we'll have to wait for reviews, which should be hitting anywhere in the next week or two since at least one place already has a unit.

From what I read Sony claimed all TVs were set to out of the box factory defaults for their presentations. It is interesting that they chose to also compare it against their own OLED reference monitor though.

They sure do. Abzu is the best looking game I've ever seen and that was the PS4 version. Really excited to see No Man's Sky tomorrow.

I own a mid-range 4K non-HDR LED now and I'm thinking of switching over to 1080p OLED (910v/9100). Can't afford the 4K models anytime soon. Glad to hear 1080p looks good too!

holygeesus

Banned
High-quality 1080p sources (games/blu-ray) don't look great?

They do, but in my experience, the TV needs careful calibration. You will see a lot of dithering in dark scenes if not, even on blu-ray sources, as the TV picks up so much detail, so any compression issues are pretty obvious, especially if you set brightness incorrectly.

High-quality 1080p sources (games/blu-ray) don't look great?

Should clarify - video, usually streaming sources, can be difficult. Daredevil in 4K, Marcella in 4K, Hannibal at 1080 have all given me a hell of a time. Either crush the shadows or see a lot of noise. That's streaming for ya.

1080p blu Rays look great (sometimes better than poorly done 4K) - just watched fellowship of the rings on blu ray and was very impressed.

1080p games on my PC look good enough that I usually roll 1080/60. I did run Star Wars Battlefront just for kicks at 4K, and it was gorgeous, but I prefer frame rate. Recommend anyone who has it jump in the new offline mode, turn off all HUD elements and just sit back and watch the lasers fly.

Weevilone

The main board on my Pioneer 5010 has been flaky as of late, requiring me to perform factory reset twice to regain use of the remote, and now once to regain use of the component inputs. As much as I love the display, it's looking like I need to start looking into options. I think the board is $1100-1200 for the part.

If anyone has had a similar experience with the Kuro sets, please let me know.

The main board on my Pioneer 5010 has been flaky as of late, requiring me to perform factory reset twice to regain use of the remote, and now once to regain use of the component inputs. As much as I love the display, it's looking like I need to start looking into options. I think the board is $1100-1200 for the part.

If anyone has had a similar experience with the Kuro sets, please let me know.

Oh god I hope this doesn't happen to my 5020.
I don't know what I would do without it.

Koeta

Was doing some research and I'm having a hard time finding a good option for a 50" 4:4:4 with good local dimming I could use for gaming mostly (console and PC) for under $500, I know it's asking a bit much lol but any recommendations?

Any EU folks here?

What would be a best buy 4K TV for ~800 EUR? If such a thing even exists.
Not interested in any gimmicks. Good, quality panel with low input lag for gaming.
Something along the lines of legendary Sony W705B. <3

Weevilone

Oh god I hope this doesn't happen to my 5020.
I don't know what I would do without it.

I feel the same way, but it would be difficult to spend $1000+ on a repair for a ~9 year old display. I'm sure I can do better in some image quality categories today, but I fear for some of the motion handling and image processing.

Saw Ori and the Blind Forest and Batman vs Superman on a Sony KDLW829 TV and there's nothing wrong with the TV, but when you have been owning a OLED for almost a year now you really notice that difference. Unless the settings weren't correct on that Sony, because those blacks were like light-medium black/Grey. But when I came back home and played Ori..... yeah..

It's true. Once you've seen those inky blacks, you can't unseen em. :)

Jezbollah

Any EU folks here?

What would be a best buy 4K TV for ~800 EUR? If such a thing even exists.
Not interested in any gimmicks. Good, quality panel with low input lag for gaming.
Something along the lines of legendary Sony W705B. <3

The Samsung UE55JU6400 might be worth looking into. It has 28ms of lag in Game mode, but considering your low budget I dont know of any better for what you're prepared to pay.

Evo X

Guess I'll wait for the Z9D reviews and see how it compares to the E6.

I will most likely have one or the other in my home theater before the end of the year.

Rodin

Guess I'll wait for the Z9D reviews and see how it compares to the E6.

I will most likely have one or the other in my home theater before the end of the year.

What i expect:

- worse black levels (still some visible halos, although less pronounced than current LEDs)
- way worse viewing angles
- worse motion without interpolation
- way better peak brightness (although its usefulness can be limited in daily use, especially outside of HDR content; people care about their sight)
- better electronics
- better HDR10 performances, but no dolby digital evens things out in this regard
- comparable input lag (>30, <40)

Personally, if this happens, i'd still go with the E6 due to the Z9D high price and no 55" size, but the Sony looks very promising in how it pushes the boundaries for LED technology.

Evo X

What i expect:

- worse black levels (still some visible halos, although less pronounced than current LEDs)
- way better peak brightness (although its usefulness can be limited in daily use, especially outside of HDR content; people care about their sight)
- better electronics
- better HDR10 performances, but no dolby digital evens things out in this regard

Personally, if this happens, i'd still go with the E6 due to the Z9D high price and no 55" size, but the Sony looks very promising in how it pushes the boundaries for LED technology.

Thanks for the comparo. I want to get a 65" TV minimum because 55" feels kind of small in my setup.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Anyone using the Samsung 4k KS8000? I may go grab one this week. It looks impressive from reviews I've read.

Anyone here have one?

kanuuna

Seeing as the current OLED sets appear to perform nicely in terms of input lag, I really hope the next step is to add BFI into to the mix - provided they can lower input lag further.

I really miss the 2013 Sony W900 I got to test sometimes with that feature, even if brightness was something of an issue in a lit room.

So...I'm having some issues (probably user error) with 4k HDR UHD playback.

I have an LG E6, and bought the new Xbox S for the 4k player. Now, is there some setting I need to toggle to get movies to display in 4k HDR? The LG TV always tells me "HDR content playing" or something like it when I watch netflix/amazon in hdr/dolbyvision, and the settings menu changes when in HDR mode. It isn't doing it when I play a 4k disk on the xbox.

What am I doing wrong?

Dead

well not really...yet
What i expect:

- better electronics

Why the hell would a Sony have worse motion. Their motion processing utterly annihilates LG, oled or led. Its the one thing they've always been the best at too.

I have an LG E6, and bought the new Xbox S for the 4k player. Now, is there some setting I need to toggle to get movies to display in 4k HDR? The LG TV always tells me "HDR content playing" or something like it when I watch netflix/amazon in hdr/dolbyvision, and the settings menu changes when in HDR mode. It isn't doing it when I play a 4k disk on the xbox.

What am I doing wrong?

Turn on Ultra HDMI color

flozuki

What am I doing wrong?

In the LG settings menu (the one on the left side) select general settings an turn on HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour.

Edit: Sorry, already mentioned :)

Why the hell would a Sony have worse motion. Their motion processing utterly annihilates LG, oled or led. Its the one thing they've always been the best at too.

Yeah, no way the ZD9 would be worse there. It's one of the biggest areas OLED still has to improve on. LG OLEDs at least.

flozuki

Yeah, no way the ZD9 would be worse there. It's one of the biggest areas OLED still has to improve on. LG OLEDs at least.

He was talking about motion without interpolation just to make things clear for everyone. Since a lot of people including myself aren't using stuff like that he might be right.

e90Mark

Any budget options you guys are aware of that fit 55" and a max of $800? My parents are looking for a TV for their vacation home.

I've found this, but not sure if there's anything else out there that's decent.

vpance

He was talking about motion without interpolation just to make things clear for everyone. Since a lot of people including myself aren't using stuff like that he might be right.

ZD9 black frame insertion methods should work really well since it's so bright.

lilty

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new TV and figured this would be the best place to ask. Some background: I'm currently gaming on a ViewSonic monitor that has VGA, HDMI and Component inputs. It's nice, but it's only 22" and I'm looking for something bigger.

I've been looking at the Vizio D40-D1 40 inch model. The price is right at $400CAD (I'm a student on a budget) but I'm wondering if anyone's familiar with this model. I'm primarily looking to use it for my PS4 to play some games, watch films etc. Anything I should know, or would I be okay with pulling the trigger on this?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new TV and figured this would be the best place to ask. Some background: I'm currently gaming on a ViewSonic monitor that has VGA, HDMI and Component inputs. It's nice, but it's only 22" and I'm looking for something bigger.

I've been looking at the Vizio D40-D1 40 inch model. The price is right at $400CAD (I'm a student on a budget) but I'm wondering if anyone's familiar with this model. I'm primarily looking to use it for my PS4 to play some games, watch films etc. Anything I should know, or would I be okay with pulling the trigger on this?

Good timing, I just bought the D43 ($500 CAD with 5 yr warranty) after deciding against a 4K model until the HDR standard becomes set.

After a week of watching, netflix, and Xbox1, I am 10/10 impressed. It replaced a 10 year old high end 42 inch 1080p LCD that at the time cost me $1400. So it's not like I was coming from some crappy TV before.

I played some Ori yesterday (which requires some precise timing jumps) and it was perfect.

Colours are vibrant. I put it to Game mode, and then tweaked the brightness a little using a calibration disc.

I'm very happy with it, so much so it has me questioning whether I would ever get a 4K TV until it gets as mainstream as 1080p.

In the LG settings menu (the one on the left side) select general settings an turn on HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour.

Edit: Sorry, already mentioned :)

Thanks! It's buried pretty deep in general settings, and I had no idea it had to be activated on a port by port basis. Much appreciated.

lilty

Good timing, I just bought the D43 ($500 CAD with 5 yr warranty) after deciding against a 4K model until the HDR standard becomes set.

After a week of watching, netflix, and Xbox1, I am 10/10 impressed. It replaced a 10 year old high end 42 inch 1080p LCD that at the time cost me $1400. So it's not like I was coming from some crappy TV before.

I played some Ori yesterday (which requires some precise timing jumps) and it was perfect.

Colours are vibrant. I put it to Game mode, and then tweaked the brightness a little using a calibration disc.

I'm very happy with it, so much so it has me questioning whether I would ever get a 4K TV until it gets as mainstream as 1080p.
This is great news. Ordered. Thank you!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Can anyone with a 2016 LG OLED confirm HDR works in game mode, or does it require use of movie mode?

Game Mode isn't a selectable option when HDR is going on LG, it has several HDR modes.

Whether or not LG updates to have a game mode, and/or what the input lag of HDR mode, are things I don't think are known at this point

Took forever but finally got it delivered after delays and reschedules.
20160809_103616_resized_zps0nkzwevd.jpg

Already can tell an improvement over my 65EF9500.

Menus and navigation are snappy and near black is better as well. Going to evaluate some more when it gets darker. Once I get some hours on it I will do a first pass calibration with Calman 5.

Smokey

Game Mode isn't a selectable option when HDR is going on LG, it has several HDR modes.

Whether or not LG updates to have a game mode, and/or what the input lag of HDR mode, are things I don't think are known at this point

So basically gaming with HDR, a nice feature on the X1 S, will be virtually unplayable since you ant combine HDR and Game Mode?

I also head the same about Samsung UHD TVs?

If true my thirst for a new UHD TV has gone way down and I may be forced to wait :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So basically gaming with HDR, a nice feature on the X1 S, will be virtually unplayable since you ant combine HDR and Game Mode?

If true my thirst for a new UHD TV has gone way down and I may be forced to wait :(

depends, I'm not sure the input lag for straight HDR 4k content has even been measured, so it could vary from the current SDR Movie mode input lag.

Also - LG updates the firmware frequently, so you never know if a processing free type mode could be adjusted, they've done similar things.

MrJames

Outside of game mode you get 50-51ms with trumotion is disabled. I would expect the real HDR mode to be about the same.

Is HDR gaming reaaaaaaaally something to worry about, right now? It seems at least 4-5 years off.

I know, Microsoft said that the scorpio will do 4k and hdr and other nonsense...but I can't help but feel that it's still a ways away.

Evo X

Is HDR gaming reaaaaaaaally something to worry about, right now? It seems at least 4-5 years off.

I know, Microsoft said that the scorpio will do 4k and hdr and other nonsense...but I can't help but feel that it's still a ways away.

The Xbox One S does HDR gaming already. I know for sure Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 support it. According to those that have seen it, it looks amazing.

The Xbox One S does HDR gaming already. I know for sure Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 support it. According to those that have seen it, it looks amazing.

Hmm, guess I'm wrong in thinking it won't be a factor for a while.

Shame that the e6 has significant input lag in hdr mode.

Reallink

DF has an article on HDR and they talk about gaming and they say the best bet for HDR gaming right now is to get a TV that doesn't have insane lag outside of game mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

From what I've seen the Panasonic DX902 is the best performer so far with 38ms latency. E6 OLED has 64ms, which is still acceptable.

Well fuck me, just went from guaranteed C6 buyer to guaranteed no way in hell. Thanks for the heads up, saved me the hassle of a return. Far as I know Panasonic effectively doesn't sell TV's in the US anymore (if they do, virtually no major retailers carry them), and I wouldn't buy an LCD anyway. This is information that needs to be much more visible and emphasized in the thread, shouldn't be recommending anyone buy 4K HDR TV's at this point.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ran some visual test on my 75x940c in HDR mode today, just responsive mouse/online lag test. No real change in input lag so long as I keep motion smoothing off. Non-scientifically i'd say its in the 30-50ms range. The TV runs at 37ms when smoothing is off. More than playable for me in all games for the gaming I do.

Again completely non-scientific, just visual responsiveness test and "feel" test. I'll move my crt up to the media room sometime and do an actual recorded test.

spannicus

New002

Well fuck me, just went from guaranteed C6 buyer to guaranteed no way in hell. Thanks for the heads up, saved me the hassle of a return. Far as I know Panasonic effectively doesn't sell TV's in the US anymore (if they do, virtually no major retailers carry them), and I wouldn't buy an LCD anyway. This is information that needs to be much more visible and emphasized in the thread, shouldn't be recommending anyone buy 4K HDR TV's at this point.

No kidding. Every time I think I've nailed down a TV something like this comes up :(

x3sphere

If you can't use Game mode, did they try disabling all the extra processing features that usually get turned on when using modes other than Game? Maybe disabling all those will bring down the lag.

Kyoufu

I've been using the E6 outside of game mode quite a bit since I bought it and it feels fine to me. Just be sure to disable the post processing junk (use ISF Expert picture modes).

And this is coming from somebody who is very sentitive to input lag, if that means anything to anyone.

Panasonic has always been really good when it comes to game mode because it is a flag that automatically gets turned on when a console is turned on. It is usually an option in the picture settings menu and not a picture mode itself.

Top Bottom